Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Unless it's Tier 2 Applecare, you don't need any of that knowledge. Just know a) Disk Utility, b) Activity Monitor, c) boot using Command-R to restore time machine backups, and... time machine backups.

Yeah, I did AppleCare Tech Support many many years ago. It's not the most complicated stuff (and anything that IS, is covered in detail in the internal kbase).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Ooh hey something Toronto's not the worst at! (it's 140k here :shepface: )

I moved out of Palo Alto, CA 6 months ago. You need to make 442k a year there in order to buy a house.

(I just have an 80 year old grandmother who lives there, she bought her house for 25k in the 50's. The ONLY loving way I was able to afford to move to out there was to move in with her for a couple years)

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

this whole thread was real confusing the last few posts until i remembered what that was

I still don't get the reference. Can someone clue me in?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

What I've heard is that the bay area is actually short on qualified IT people at the moment, but nobody wants to pay more for the positions. So, in order to find people who will work for the wages companies will offer, they have to actively recruit from outside the area and hope that people think that 40-50k is actually a good income instead of, you know, minimum wage.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Anyone know of any software that you can install on a Mac that will let you set a list of domains and IPs that the computer cannot talk to?

Organization I work for issues everybody macbook air's since most of our employees are constantly traveling around the country. We have had an issue with a number of them trying to download files and getting caught by those "download THIS" advertisements that redirects them to a malicious download. I have an adblocker installed on every browser on every computer, but apparently this isn't enough, so... time to find something a little more robust.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was hoping there was something we could install that would point to one of our servers to get updates, so we could update the list here and all the remote people would have their list update automatically.

I mean, the hosts file works, but it means I'm going to have to get access to each users computer individually and then update the hosts file... every time we make a change. With about 200 remote users and only 3 helpdesk people, that's not going to work well.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you not running any kind of management product that could let you manage that hosts file centrally? Puppet, SCCM, DSC, anything...

We run Casper, but the Senior Support Services guy, the dude who doesn't want anyone but himself to have admin access to most poo poo, hasn't figured out how to use it to deploy updates or... really anything but get info off of the machines.

I'll see if I can badger him into figuring out how to push an updated file. Since that won't cost us any more money, he will probably get off my back on this project (and, you know, never actually bother figuring it out).

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

anthonypants posted:

If he doesn't want anyone to have admin access then he shouldn't have a problem restricting software installs on remote machines.

No no no, he doesn't want anyone having admin access to the IT tools! Dude is a roadblock to anything getting done. Users ALL have admin on their own machines, because *reasons*.

I mean, I love this workplace, the company is great, but the senior IT dude just seems to have some kind of fear that if anyone else gets access to the tools, he will become useless and get replaced.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

NeuralSpark posted:

Casper is the best platform manager for the Mac and could totally do what you need it to do if your guy could be bothered to actually do it.

Yeah, I've actually downloaded the Casper manual so I can just say "Look, here is how to set this up, we just push a new hosts file when we have updates. Boom. Done."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

How Hire-able am I?

2 years Remote Support Experience (in one of Inc 500's "Fastest Growing Companies")
Comptia A+ Certified
In progress BS in Information Technology
Early -> mid 20s

I'm wanting to bail because in our office their is only "Tier 1." There's no awy to grow into a supervisor or higher paying position because we share supervisors which the much larger Customer Service division, and so they end up hiring / promoting each other. I'd like to make more then 14.70 an hour some day, and I can barely afford to live where I am, or even an hour from where I am. If I start applying where should I start since I have experience in the field?

Does my experience match "the norm?"

I moved up to 20/hr as helpdesk with nothing but 4 years of phone tech support experience and my A+... and that was in San Bruno. Now I'm in Santa Cruz and making even better money.

Silicon valley area is always looking for more helldesk people or tech support people. Just takes a few years experience to get a wide enough knowledge base that people will jump on you.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

I am bad at posting. How will I ever go on in life.

Some days I worry that I am bad at posting. :ohdear:

Then I remember that the only people reading my posts are goons, and my worry goes away.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

In the span of two months, five out of our eight person IT team have quit or been let go. I think the writing's on the wall.

Promotions and raises all around for the remaining 3?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I don't drink at all :sob:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I had an accounting person come to me and ask me if an email was legit. It was not, but it looked pretty drat close. I am so proud of my users right now.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

air- posted:

Funny how you mention incentives.

Last place I worked (remember that gong story?) got some incentive from the city to have employees physically working in their offices. That's right... despite being a SAAS company, they wanted more butt in seat time rather than employees working remotely :shepicide:

People in a city spend money in the city, which gives money to the city.

People working at home don't give that lovely sales tax to the city, or revenue taxes from the businesses that cater to the people working in the city.

Basically, cities are hosed up.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I usually ask the recruiter if they are going to make changes (after giving them my latest copy), and if they are, ask if they can show it to me before sending it out. Just means there should be no surprises.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, quad core i7 at 2.2GHz. And a Retina display.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

It's all linked in the "A ticket came in" OP

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sistergodiva posted:

This is for a company that Apple outsources their support to. So basically apple support since I don't think they have their own support.

They do, but you have to live in Sacramento CA

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

East Bay San Fran.

You are aware that you will soon be making less than minimum wage, right? Ok, well, in 5 years you will be. But minimum wage is going up from 10/hr to 15/hr in california...

Also, I'm making 50k a year and have full benefits as a helpdesk person in Santa Cruz.

Also, what kind of noncompete contract is it? Just "no working in a competing industry" or "no working in a similar job"? First one you can laugh at after you get some resume building done, second one is "gently caress no".

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A lot of companies want you to act interested in the job. If you aren't asking these questions, they think you don't care enough to stick around, or are just going to use the job for an income long enough to jump ship.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The international one at the bottom of course!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it legal to throw a useless junior sysadmin off a cliff

junior sysadmins are just larva, so yes. Once they pupate and hatch into Real People, you can't touch them.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

run Wireshark on the workstation and see what kind of traffic you see from the SBS. Then do the same from another workstation. Compare and see what the difference is.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

DigitalMocking posted:

At some point, you just have to think a vendor is taking the piss.

We ordered a 10meg internet link for a small office we have in upstate New York. The order was placed in November of last year. The circuit STILL isn't up. We're at final configuration now, rep emails me like a week ago and says "5/9 is the earliest I can get the service scheduled for turn up". I write back, say we'll take it, but please escalate the request to get it sooner. This poor office has been coming across MPLS to Portland for internet for 6 months now.

Just got this today:

"My apologies for the delayed response. I escalated and was able to get you in on 5/12 at 1p. Will send calendar invite to you once it is processed in our system. "

:psyduck:

It took us over a YEAR to get MPLS installed at one out of 3 locations, because of constant fuckups by AT&T. I'm just waiting for our network and infrastructure guys to start cussing a blue streak as a clue for when the next site starts being worked on. Note, we were quoted "all sites up and running on MPLS inside of 3 months" when this project started.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

readingatwork posted:

But no, management is certain 4 people for a company of over 400 people is plenty.

We have 3 people for 270. I do about 2 tickets a day most of the year, and just slowly plug away at nonessential projects in the meantime. If 4 people can't keep 400 people running without major ticket overload, you have a problem somewhere.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sickening posted:

What do you mean CISO isn't just a position where I make a lot of money and not know whats going on?

The moment she said "a holistic approach" I almost broke out laughing. There is nothing else you can say that is more likely to tell a professional that you have NO loving CLUE what you are talking about.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

Yea, it's buzzwordy, but looking at the security of the whole system and not just disconnected parts is a good thing. Defense in depth is a holistic approach.

While the word itself has meaning, the people who USE the word typically use it as a way to say "We are doing stuff, but I have no idea what, and I'm hoping you don't ask for more than superficial details."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

gooby pls posted:

Uhh, new :yotj: does new hire press releases. I can't imagine coming up with a quote that doesn't make me sound like mayor of bonertown.

"I can't wait to start exchanging labor for currency"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

a cop posted:

Why not just like "Looking forward to meeting everyone" or some other simple pleasantry like that?

"I challenge everyone to a drinking contest. Beware, my long experience in IT has given me a really high alcohol tolerance."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Hungry Computer posted:

And now I just got instructed by my manager to shutdown all pcs on campus.

Oh boy, that sounds like fun.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

on synirc

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Can confirm, flying economy is MISERABLE for a tall person (6'2"). My legs are jammed up against the back of the seat in front of me BEFORE they decide to lean the seat back in my face. I am in serious pain after a 4 hour flight, longer flights suck rear end. I have to pay extra to be put in an emergency exit aisle on most airlines, because they offer a few more inches of leg room.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I have failed out of TWO community colleges! And a university. Beat that!

Seriously, gently caress school. I get straight A's for the first couple years, and then I burn out and go "eh, gently caress this".

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

JewKiller 3000 posted:

This attitude is why employers require college degrees for jobs that don't really need them. You're probably smart enough to do those jobs already, but if you can't trudge through a few years of a program dedicated to your personal success without going "gently caress it", then how the hell are you going to handle working a job where morons tell you to do pointless things?

See, if 75% of a degree wasn't "do some random poo poo to get well-rounded and so we can flesh this out to be 4 years" I would have less of an issue. But god drat if I can put up with the bullshit humanities they try to get you to take seriously. I'm not a loving philosophy or english major, I kan rite gud, let me take my technical classes and GTFO with a diploma once I've taken the poo poo that ACTUALLY MATTERS.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

anthonypants posted:

You would have to be incredibly sheltered to believe that neither you nor your peers have anything to gain from humanities classes.

Being ABLE to take a few when you need something to fill your schedule isn't bad. But I'd rather have them things I can pick up and drop as needed without it affecting my ability to complete my technology based degree. Having them weigh similarly to core classes for my degree just boggles my mind.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

high six posted:

Well, the two incidents they mentioned were:

1. Apparently I screwed up something in the sharepoint system. I was trying to help one of the service desk folks get something set up and did some research which made it sound like some credentials were a problem. So, I fiddled with that some and kept an eye on it to see if anything broke, which it didn't appear to. A week later they came to me and said that I screwed it up and it was down because of that.

2. We were implementing a managed endpoint encryption service which was not yet in production. I was working on getting it set up to auto push out the agent to new machines and needed to install an update. Tried to install the update, got a weird error message. Worked on that and brought it down for about an hour.

No probation or anything. Was only there for about 5 months so I guess that was the probation or something. Yeah, I realize I got too enthusiastic and tried to tone it down, but beyond that I thought I was doing well.

Neither of those seem to be major issues? Sounds like they needed a reason to get rid of you for OTHER reasons, and used that. Might be that they didn't want to pay benefits or something.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

jaegerx posted:

What kind of AV do you think clinton ran on her email server?

Clinton didn't run anything.

That's what her IT person is there for.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

psydude posted:

Customer 10 months ago: Our primary internet connection is 4 times faster than our secondary connection. We're technically not supposed to use the primary connection during the day, but let's let it slide for now.
Customer 2 weeks ago: OMG why are we using the primary internet connection during the day?! This isn't supposed to happen!
Customer today, after support team made requested changes: Our branches are reporting that internet connectivity is incredibly slow. WHAT DID YOU DO?!

... why would you not want to use the primary connection during the day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

On the subject of building well functioning teams, this article and the research referenced suggests that high social sensitivity can be important for team dynamics, which raises questions about how one might successfully integrate people who are on the spectrum and have problems understanding social cues.

Speaking as somebody on the spectrum, there are two different types of people on the spectrum. Those who can learn and adapt to minimize their weaknesses... and those who use it as an excuse to never have to change their behavior.

Working is where I actually learned to read social queues and to make small talk. I'm still poo poo at parties because I'm Sensory Defensive and get overwhelmed, but you wouldn't think I have aspergers if you talked with me one on one or in a small group.

But some people go "I have aspergers" as a defence against the world, and just rely on that to protect them. I hate being around that kind, they have basically just given up and told the world "NO, I'M FINE, DEAL WITH IT. I DON'T WANT TO TRY ANY MORE."