Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Punkbob posted:

Which is more encumbered by HIPAA like regulation that doesn’t allow you to use the AWS In Canada?

Can you only buy software from Canadian companies? What about peering or transit? If your argument is that you can only use Canadian stuff I hope you audit the hell out of all the software you use. Wouldn’t want someone to slip in a backdoor.

Actually straight up something my partner had to deal with the other day. At least for financial companies, Canadian law on the matter is that you straight up have to store all of your data in Canada. Not sure if it's only with Canadian firms, but it might well be.

huuuuge pain in the rear end since not only does AWS become instantly unusable, but you can't even use gsuite, OneDrive or O365, not even loving dropbox for cloud based storage.

Ironically at my job which is adjacent to pharmas we're A-OK and make use of AWS, gsuite and the like extensively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

"Best Practices."

And, in all fairness, it is.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I've had to work with both a mystery toilet seat shitter as well as someone that would leave what appeared to be a massive explosion of nose crunchies on the bathroom mirror. Every morning one of us would find the mirror covered in spray of partially bloody snot bits and even after three years we never figured out what goddamn creep was doing it, or what exactly they were doing.

a shitton of cocain, sounds like

e: f;b

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So question guys and gals. Tomorrow I have an afternoon long meeting about using and administering SCCM from the senior server guy who set it all up. I'm going to be responsible for taking comprehensive notes and documentation on how to use it for me and the rest of the helpdesk/junior/intermediate sysadmin team. None of us are responsible for making sure it's up and running on the technical side, this will be 90% how to use in the day to day. We're mostly a Mac shop with about 20% windows users, about to start moving small amounts of people to Windows ten. Lots of imaging for new hires and deploying software, not a lot in the way of software restriction policies or anything like that. Everyone is bound to AD just fine.

Bearing all that in mind, what questions should I be asking and what are the big things that I should be documenting in depth? This is also the literal first piece of documentation we have, and especially as someone who's mostly helpdesk/baaaasic sysadmin, I want to make sure I get this right.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

We're actually integrating jamf in two weeks haha. So it's a bit inconveniently timed in that regard. Otherwise I super appreciate the advice you've given. Taking notes on the lot.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

lol I've been in this SCCM overview meeting for an hour and I have 9 pages of raw notes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

so context

i'm 21. No formal IT education, I have an A+ and I've only worked in one IT job, where I spend the vast majority of my time doing internal-facing helpdesk and general IT services. Licensing, imaging, computer woes, access cards, adding and disabling users in AD or resetting passwords, gsuite admin stuff. Basic poo poo.

I've just started dipping my toe into SCCM. It's overwhelming, I've smoked like 4 cigarettes in the past few hours, and I think I'm falling a little bit in love. The sheer power and flexibility that this offers is intoxicating. We're only going to end up using a tiny tiny fraction of the capabilities that this thing offers.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 3, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

Next step, take whatever mundane boring task you do (new computer provisioning) and gently caress with it until all you do is map the mac address to a user. Out of box, F12 to boot from network, note mac address, login prompt. Ask for a raise.

this is basically the plan

The other reason why I've been making this my baby is that this is still my first IT job and I'm technically a contractor until there's a position available, and being the "SCCM gal" is a really good way of making myself as indispensable as possible.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

oh it's such fun to be a grunt, lugging around Xerox 7220s, fancy thunderbolt displays and some ridiculous second printer because a partner is switching offices.

Which is fine, whatever. SLT gets what SLT wants. But yeesh, little bit annoying considering that the rest of the office is doing JAMF Kickstart training so it's literally me and the other junior guy holding down the fort.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I have a weird helpdesk question that nobody on-prem knows how to solve, so now I beg the internet for advice.

Basically, user has a program where chrome and internet explorer flags every single file as malicious and won't let him download. Pretty standard, right? Just disable Microsoft's Attachment Manager in the registry and you're good!

Only problem is that it doesn't work. We allow local computers to make registry changes, it's not being reset or undone by anything so that's all fine. It's just that despite changing the registry key, downloads still fail saying .

I'm sure that there's some simple, dumb solution to this that I'm missing, but the entire internet and stackexchange seems convinced that it's this One Weird Registry Trick that may well work for everyone else but isn't right now and this ticket has been in my queue for like a week.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried rebooting the computer since making the registry change?

Yep yep. I'll try the custom security level trick next though, that didn't make it on my list of solutions I've already tried.

I appreciate all the help as well!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

oh cool, user decides to just not show up for an appointment where I was going to upgrade his computer with more ram and fix his poo poo.

Guess I'll use it on my laptop, gently caress off, thanks for wasting my time, fix your poo poo yourself, close ticket.

Except not actually but gently caress me this is irritating as hell when I'm running a one woman shop today instead of the normal team of five.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You know, back when I was a manager, I made sure to deflect all praise from myself, directly onto my guys. When I was a manager. :cry:

THE WOUND! IT'S TOO FRESH!

I'm much closer to the bottom of the latter, but at least there it's worked well for me to be courteous and give credit where credit is due. Not many managers like someone who's self-aggrandizing, and having a reputation for being fair and evenhanded when it comes to giving credit is not a bad thing to have at all.

It also means my coworkers really like me, and that's always a nice bonus.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 12, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

codo27 posted:

Holy loving jesus. So there is this old coot around here who sadly enough a lot of people go to for computer repairs. Its in the sticks so there are no actual storefronts you can go to. The poo poo this guy pulls, and without knowing a single god drat thing, its unreal.

One laptop someone had me fix that they had brought to him first, I noticed the hard drive cover was hanging off. They had brought it to him and he "couldn't fix it". I looked up the specs of the computer and it came with a 500gb drive, so why was there only a 320 in it now? He had swapped it out and sent it back thinking they'd never get it working and find out anyway. To make the best of it, there was gently caress all wrong with the laptop.

I have one on my desk now that he loving destroyed somehow, half a dozen or so screwholes are just hosed. And he drills these copper things into laptops to try and hold them together and it just makes it worse. He charged this young woman, who lives in low income housing and is a mother, $70 to put a "new fan" in it, plus another $10 to deliver it back to her as she doesn't drive. Never worked first or last. When I took it apart, the (presumably) stock fan is still there, seized and a fin cracked off it and all. $11 it cost me to get a new one. I noticed its running W10 Pro...but its just a consumer grade Acer, license sticker intact on the bottom that shows it should be Home. Why loving put a pirated version on when you could just use the loving authentic key?

When he "cleans" computers, ugh. He backs up peoples poo poo, puts it in a folder called "For [user]", and then places that right in the root of the Users folder when he puts Windows back on. So instead of going to users/pictures to get your pictures, you go to users/for me/pictures. Yes yes its just another level down but its needless and the existing shortcuts for your libraries wont hit anything. Then he puts CCleaner on every machine and a pirated copy of Office 2007. He doesn't clean install Windows 10, just puts on a pirated version of 7 if he cant figure out how to factory restore and upgrades from that.

Someone brought me this lovely Asus laptop he had botched, I forget what was wrong with it in the first place but he had managed to reduce it to being stuck on a BIOS password when you turned it on. Took a bit of digging to figure that one out.

/vent

stab him

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

oh cool, user decides to just not show up for an appointment where I was going to upgrade his computer with more ram and fix his poo poo.

Guess I'll use it on my laptop, gently caress off, thanks for wasting my time, fix your poo poo yourself, close ticket.

Except not actually but gently caress me this is irritating as hell when I'm running a one woman shop today instead of the normal team of five.

so this guy just cancelled the makeup appointment.

At least this time he warned me ahead of time! I mean, it was 5 minutes before the meeting started, but hey, progress.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So this is definitely not the proper place for "how do I ask for a raise" questions, but I can't find any thread specifically devoted to that and this seems more appropriate than in the negotiations and resume thread considering.

Anyways I'm a junior helpdesk/sysadmin in Toronto. Still on contract, but I expect to be moved to full time in December and want to ask for a raise then because I think I deserve it and because I like money.

I do helpdesk stuff, setting up new users, generic internal enterprise IT poo poo. I also was the one who did the entirety of windows 10 testing in our environment and I'm the go to person for SCCM, which we've just integrated into our environment. Nothing infrastructure side - I'm not responsible for that, but no one else on my team, including my boss, knows how to use it. Lots of drive and passion and desire for growth, I'm not sure I could be doing my job much better than I currently am.

I'm making, let's say around 36,000 a year. But this is my first IT job, I'm 21, and I'm not really sure how to value my skills. Any advice?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cool, that's fine. I appreciate the advice, it helps me set my expectations. It is normal here to get a bump when moving from contract to fulltime, I suppose I assumed that'd be the case everywhere. But since I don't have a good BATNA, I'll be sure to make any raise request I make very reasonable.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I mean I do get health benefits, because Canada's healthcare system is not by any stretch of the imagination all encompassing.

That being said they're not great benefits.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

How’d you persuade all your users that installing the MFA App. On their personal phone doesn’t mean you’re spying on them?

That’s my biggest issue with MFA not cost or anything technical.

Makes me wonder if it wouldn't be a decent idea for someone to build some lovely device that ties into google authenticator/other MFA apps. So you can just give your recalcitrant employees some $20 stick and neatly sidestep all the paranoia. Seems like the sort of thing kickstarter is made for.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

gnrk posted:

My last role in IT was in a small business three years ago without any certs. Getting back into IT, I've got my A+ and should have my Network+ soon. I've been offered a seasonal call-center gig that doesn't pay well but would give me my first real experience to handling tickets. How do seasonal gigs like this look on a resume?

Anything is better than nothing, and it's not the worst way to gain some IT experience.

if the fact that it's a call center doesn't kill any interest you have in this as a career at any rate.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Specific floors have different themes. One floor is painters, one mountains, others seemingly random and unconnected from one another but probably linked by some literary reference. Not the worst way to do it, though honestly I can never remember which rooms are on which floors.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Vargatron posted:

I went to a Dell conference in Austin, TX last year and one of the sales reps for the consultancy firm we were courting kept trying to get the intern (who was engaged) to sleep with him. Like he persisted for like 3 hours and kept giving this girl drinks. This of course got relayed to me second hand by my coworker since I went back to the hotel room earlier, but I questioned why he didn't say anything when this guy was obviously trying to get her drunk.

I'm not sure what the male/female ratio is in IT, but drat they're certainly outnumbered.

I work in a... nest of two/four man pods, would probably be the best way of describing it. End of the day, there are 12 people other than me who are doing sysadmin (and cloud, AWS, etc) poo poo.

I'm the only woman. Which lemme tell you, is real fun when one of those coworker decides it's appropriate to come up to you and massage my loving scalp in the middle of the workday, without asking, on multiple occasions.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

There's been other incidents too, though that was the only one by someone I see every day. But happily, my company actually just had a pretty big meeting about dealing with sexual harassment, because it's a huge problem everywhere. So it's not all bad.

As much as it's fun to say "Oh I'd hit back" in practice it's something that lasts maybe 20 seconds and honestly I was too shocked to do anything each and every time.

More damning is the fact that everyone else saw. To their credit, they gave disapproving looks and asked if I was alright. But buddy still works across from me, and ain't nothing going to happen to him.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Yeah that would be a definite elbow to the solar plexus.

The Iron Rose posted:

As much as it's fun to say "Oh I'd hit back" in practice it's something that lasts maybe 20 seconds and honestly I was too shocked to do anything each and every time.

I mean I don't want to be a bitch about this, I was just mentioning something that happened to me because it was relevant to the conversation. But while violence might be the appropriate response, but it's not really a helpful one.

e: lol we don't have an HR department is the best part

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sirotan posted:

If you are a man and you see another man doing this kind of poo poo, say something. Due to politics and power dynamics it's sometimes really hard for women to do anything about this, and hell, maybe they DO tell their harasser to knock that poo poo off, and they don't. If you are not the "creepy IT guy", instead of doing nothing it would be great to have an ally.

100% agreeing with this. For a variety of reasons - shock, surprise, fear both physically or for your job, I know many many reasons why women don't feel comfortable standing up for themselves and asking the harasser to stop, much less go to HR. Having someone else stand up for you and stand up against that behaviour isn't just really nice, it's incredibly important for all those reasons I mentioned above.

And I know other people who have been told "You can either report it, or grow a thicker skin. I advise growing a thicker skin." and been told that in all kindness. It's honestly a huge problem in this industry.

On the other hand, good managers are pretty desperate to hire women so at least there's that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Fair enough, but I'm not sure it's the right field for me. My professional background is as a librarian, and my weakest area is customer service and dealing with people. I'm not sure first-line IT helpdesk is the job for me, especially factoring in the very long (4 1/2 -5 hours) drive to this place.

Jesus, you really can't be picky if you're commuting 10 hours a day. If that's driving, you're going to be barely making more than gas and vehicle money.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

ChubbyThePhat posted:

My morning has started by going through a co-workers ticket queue to clean it up, and is now wrestling with a Quickbooks service exploding on a DC. Not really the most exciting Friday over here. GET ME OUT.

oh hey, this was my morning too, because my coworker got fired. Sad, I liked the kid, but really didn't have his eye on the ball.

As evidenced by the 50 tickets in his queue going back to August.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Haha why not

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Siochain posted:

I make, effectively, $27/hour Canadian :(
And I'm only low-ish for my position relative to others around me.

I'm still like $10/hour underpaid, but its well over what I made before. Small market though, and lots of IT people who will work for dog-cheap for some reason. Even if they don't know poo poo.

Yay rural/northern Canada.

hahaha I live in downtown toronto and I'm making 17.5.

And even that was only barely granted when I got my position approved.

Vargatron posted:

Cost of living has a lot to do with how you're being compensated in relation to your rent expenses. I'm sure 60k doesn't go as far when you're paying 1800 a month for a 400 sq/foot apt in Toronto.

:laffo:

You've literally described my life. Thankfully that rent gets split between me and my partner but yeah I'm underpaid as all hell.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Odd question. Any of y'all have good recommendations for wireless keyboard+mouse solutions for windows that are kinda sexy/cool, not gamer trash, and under $300 Canadian for the pair? We're looking into moving beyond our lovely wired logitech keyboard and mice, and since Magic Mice and wireless keyboards for Macs are lolfuckoff expensive I've plenty of budget room to play with here.

Any standouts y'all are familiar with? Hard no on any mechanical keyboard, bluetooth preferred to dongles.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Get a mechanical keyboard but beware of the rabbit hole. :homebrew:

I have one at home but I might actually murder people if I had to deal with the sound of a dozen keyboards clicking in unison. Thanks for the advice though all! It's very appreciated.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

My Bachelor's Degree was in political science and I didn't even finish.

It actually helped me in a ton of ways in terms of learning new things, writing, analysis, etc.
But something tells me employers won't particular care much about a degree in an entirely unrelated field.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

oh my gosh we don't have a standard adblocker we deploy or enforce on all machines

I mean there's no way I haven't known this on some level since I've been here for months now, but this basically just clicked in for me after a conversation with our security guys. Apparently they raised the issue with our team on multiple occasions and nobody really seemed to care?!

Either way I just sent in a ticket for a vendor assessment for uBlock Origin, so at least that ball is rolling now. Unless anyone has a better recommendation for an adblocker suited to enterprise use?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

We don’t issue an ad blocker, as far as I know, and we’ve had like 4 reports of maybe a virus in a year. I think 1 confirmed. Our sec team is pretty on the ball, so I doubt it was an oversight.

That said, getting something like that going is good for you come review time!

Oh man, I have 24 quarantined files in my portal now, roughly half of which will be threats that need to be flagged for further investigation.

I also really need to figure out a reporting function, which now that I've thought of it will be my project for tomorrow. Right now I don't think anyone other than myself is even reviewing it at all.

Actually, time to put out a few feelers, see if I can't even set it up to automatically create a ticket too.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I haven't had to work overnight yet, thankfully. But when things like that do happen usually the person in question gets the next day off. Plus brownie points and recognition which are more intangible but still valuable.

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh man, I have 24 quarantined files in my portal now, roughly half of which will be threats that need to be flagged for further investigation.

I also really need to figure out a reporting function, which now that I've thought of it will be my project for tomorrow. Right now I don't think anyone other than myself is even reviewing it at all.

Actually, time to put out a few feelers, see if I can't even set it up to automatically create a ticket too.

Anyways, I had a productive morning on this, which is great. Set up a website that will collate detected threats and export to a CSV, Security team checks in once a week, ticket gets sent to our team.

Not nearly as automated as I like, but since our Cylance apparently doesn't even have a reporting function that isn't "send all new threats found to X email immediately upon detection" this was the best I could do.

And it's only manual on the security team's side of things which is great us. Not really sure why they accepted the responsibility of "download and open CSV, manually copy line by line into ticket" without at least inquiring into automation, but whatever.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 5, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Seems like that could be automated with a cronjob and a script :shrug:

I would love to learn how to do that. Unfortunately, nobody here is super big on automation, I'm entirely self taught, and this is my first sysadmin/IT job.

The main limitation here is that we're using a proprietary, internal task management system (which does a bunch of other things too) and while I can upload a CSV to create multiple individual tickets, there's no function or API for me to hit that just creates one ticket. And I definitely don't have the budget resources to have our development team create that function.

For pulling the CSV once a week that's pretty trivial.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Assuming you can submit a ticket by email and the CSV is formatted with one alert per line, pull the CSV, split each line into its own email, and then send those in individually for a bunch of unique tickets.

If the CSV is every alert on one line you will need to do some awk trickery(assuming bash scripting) but even that shouldn't be too difficult. This is actually a fairly trivial script to write and a great chance to increase your scripting skills

You may be beginning to notice a pattern here. I genuinely really like our ticketing software, but there are a lot of restrictions that other, more widely used ticketing software doesn't have.

I'm scripting the hell out of the rest though. Pretty simple, in all honesty. Pull CSV of new threats once per week, export the threat and localhostname from that CSV, email the list to the security team, action.

Honestly I'm really just doing this as a favour to the security team. And because my boss is on vacation for the week, and "scripted automated reports for our fancy new AV system" is a hell of thing to have come review time.

Punkbob posted:

Jamf require a jumpstart if you try to buy the non cloud version or at least when I talked to them it did. Which is several thousand dollars on top.

Super worth it though. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to attend the jumpstart training, but we've done a lot of cool things with JAMF. I'm just disappointed that everyone here has been so busy I didn't get a chance to peek over the shoulder of the guy running it as he's been setting everything up.

Administration is one thing, but understanding how everything fits together well is worth its figurative weight in gold.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 5, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Well, our ticketing/task management system and internal intranet went down due to third party vendor issues.

So... guess we're not getting any work done for the rest of the day.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

For real. Just had a performance review too, which was full of praise!

Which lemme tell you is real nice to hear in your first IT job. No raise though, which undercuts the otherwise lovely compliments slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Haha wow. Our travel team came to me, asking me to figure out some sort of "Masking Solution" so airlines wouldn't inflate their prices based on cookie tracking and so they didn't have to use incognito mode.

Fine, easy solution, toss them in a gsuite OU and block the domains from storing cookies. Except apparently doing that this way makes these websites lose their poo poo.

Air Canada gives you a super annoying pop-up on every page bitching at you for disabling cookies, Delta actually just denies you access. I actually don't think there's anything I can even do if the literal website is built so that it requires cookies in order to function properly. I'm actually a little bit morally disgusted.