Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

What would cause a laptop to keep getting kicked from the domain ("a trust relationship could not be established")? I checked for a duplicate name but that doesn't seem to be it. My fix is log in with local admin account, remove from domain, reboot, join domain, reboot. Works fine for a couple days and then it doesn't.

It's annoying af because it's at a remote shop 30 minutes away. Any ideas on things to check would be appreciated!

Have never seen anything like that but you might look at %windir%\debug\NETSETUP.log and see if there's any useful info there. That file logs some of the domain join process - I'm not sure if it would show any errors causing it to leave the domain, though.

I'm assuming since the problem started you deleted the object out of AD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
By the way - you don't have to reboot after leaving the domain and then again when rejoining - you can skip the first one.

Assuming you're doing this through the System Properties window - leave the domain, close the prompt to reboot, go back in to the "Computer Name/Domain Changes" window, rejoin the domain, and then reboot.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

LochNessMonster posted:

Didn't they buy lynda.com years ago? That used to be decent back in the day.

Speaking of Lynda (and yes, LinkedIn did buy them), it's worth checking to see if your local library has free access to Lynda. A lot of them (mine included) do.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

punishedkissinger posted:

How can I do this job

Be really fuckin good at racking switches and running cables

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
If I am an idiot who knows next to nothing about Docker and Kubernetes, and would like to be able to understand the concepts and why they are widely used, speak intelligently about them, "homelab" or use them in AWS for learning etc. and go from there, are there any obvious good starting points? I'm seeing some well-reviewed courses on Udemy, and thinking of grabbing the one that sounds best.

Also am I going to be able to make heads or tails of them if I'm not already dipping my toes into devops in the first place? I'm a generic 99%-Windows enterprise support person now.

ETA: I think Googling would've been good before asking this, but if anyone REALLY has some recommendations I'll certainly look t them. But I'm getting some good resources already.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 5, 2021

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
dragon1

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I got passed over for an internal promotion from my current role (tier-3 service desk with a lot of SCCM work - setting up and deploying app packages, basic reports, PXE OSD task sequences, etc) for a Systems Administrator I role for an external candidate. Thought I had a good shot, but alas.

The manager had let me know the position was going to be posted a couple of months before it was, and told me when it was up so I would be sure to apply, so I was hopeful, but enough time passed after a good interview that I asked what was up. She was very gracious about explaining why they did go with the other candidate: they're in the middle of an extensive migration from VMWare to Nutanix and this person knows Nutanix whereas I hadn't heard of it before working here, and have not touched it. She said that in a year without that project on the horizon I probably would've been chosen, and that they really do want me on the Systems team, and hopefully they can create another position soon. And I believe her, but the end result is the same regardless.

I'm not especially eager to leave, but it's been two years and I've exceeded their expectations for my position and have been told as much on a regular basis, so I'm thinking very hard about it now even though I don't hold the decision against them. I'm 36 and I do not want to be doing service desk much longer, even though my pay is at or above most Sys Admin I postings I've seen in the area. That job title and the variety of work it entails has been a goal of mine for the last several years and I know I'm ready. I picked up a good amount of skills here but I can feel myself stagnating on autopilot lately, which is why I left my last position.

Thinking the start of a new year would be a good time to sprint for a few certs while casually looking for a new role. I like where I am so I'm not in a rush, but I'm definitely going to be on the lookout, whereas I was content to wait before.

So since I posted this (12/29/20):

- The person they supposedly picked has not started.
- The VMWare to Nutanix refresh project appears to have begun.
- I have been the key person in resolving something I don't feel comfortable talking about, but suffice it to say, REALLY seems like a job for a sysadmin.
- Have just been asked to be in a meeting with a sysadmin, the sysadmin team supervisor, and the section manager (so the two people who chose this non-existent person to fill the role over me) to "brainstorm" the project for deploying the feature update for Windows 10 that they're transitioning to.

The last one really made me livid. The make-up of that group, and how obviously someone with my job title stands out given who else is in it, was really the perfect cap on a week that has been very irritating (end of the loving Trump administration aside).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

You’re looking for a new opportunity right?

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, I'm sure it'll take a while, and there's plenty of other aspects to my job that I like, so I'm not in that big of a rush, ranting aside. I am 95% WFH lately and it doesn't seem like most of the places around here offer the same. That alone is worth a significant amount of money to me.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 22, 2021

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

You are irreplaceable. Who else will do your level of work for no title and low pay? You are the perfect tech employee.

Kind of a mean-spirited take, no? Or maybe it's just a tone on the Internet issue on my part.

I'll be talking to the manager about that invite tomorrow, and I wouldn't call what I make "low pay". That's actually one of the things I'm grappling with - most of the positions with the title/work I want pay less than I make now.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Defenestrategy posted:

Doesn't seem mean spirited, seems like a blunt telling of the truth.

As I read your story, You are a non-sysadmin about to be dragged into sys-admin work, for not sysadmin pay after your company decided you are not to be promoted/transitioned to it.

You are in essence what every jerk off manager type wants. A presumably competent dude, doing work above his pay grade.

I suppose. In fairness, the invite to that meeting probably came because the non-supervisory employee in the group likes working with me (and I know he pulled for me being part of the team), and not from either of the managers. Fairly likely it was a surprise to them. As far as the other project I've been involved in, I jumped on that because it was a critical thing that I knew the most about. I'll be pointing out that it's now at a point where it should be handed off to someone on that team and leave it at that.

I'll be talking to the manager soon and am not really one of those employees that lets themselves get walked over, I was mostly venting about two emergent things that had happened this week alone. I realize that I while venting I presented a snapshot of my week and made it sound like I was being abused, but I am really not. If this week is a sign of a pattern, then that's another story.

But again, yes, I am getting my ducks in a row to be able to jump on the right opportunity when it comes along.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

i am a moron posted:

If someone did this poo poo to me I'd be quitting on the spot just to test the boundaries of my worth to the organization. And if they let me walk, gently caress them.

Y'all act like you don't have mortgages/rent or people depending on your salaries. I'm going to remediate the problems that have come up while I'm here, while working to get into a better environment when I can. If you have the mindset and freedom to do differently, cool, but no, I will not be up and quitting as the first response to a couple of supervisors overstepping things. I am really, truly, OK. I have no doubt that I can and will get a better job, and am capable of nipping this stuff in the bud too.

This is not to say I am discounting and disagreeing with y'all advising me to not be taken advantage of. That is duly noted, I appreciate it, and I'll be addressing things. I've worked in poo poo jobs before, ones that gave me panic attacks on Sunday evenings due to the thought of starting a new work week, and I won't ever let myself be in that situation again. Seriously, I posted to vent, but this place averages like a 2/10 stress level while I'm here (this week excepted), I'm pretty well-compensated, and when my shift ends it ends. I could be doing much worse while looking for something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Are you going to be fired if you politely tell them that you can't take on extra responsiblity without a promotion? Are you really concerned with making people upset when you no longer let them exploit you?

No? I thought I already said I would be talking to them. Or did I just type that out and not actually post it?

In any case, so it's clear: I am going to talk to them and tell them that my continued involvement in projects that should be handled by a titled sysadmin will be ending, pending something changing in terms of title/salary.

I regret not saying as much in the original post. It was always going to be what I was going to do.

skipdogg posted:

As long as your good man, vent away. Everyone's situation is different. I purposely kept myself in a comfortable low stress situation for the last decade because the job gave me the flexibility and benefits I needed with younger kids.

This is exactly my situation. It's a flexible low-stress environment, and I've got two younger kids that I like being available for after 5 and on weekends/holidays.