Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

i am a moron posted:

I don’t believe justice is being served with a two year sentence in this case. Should this person have been allow to just skate by? No. At the same time people get less time for rape, DV, and all sorts of things that are actually egregiously harmful to other human beings.
Agreed, but violent crime sentencing should be harsher, not white collar crime gentler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Gort posted:

Having no money is a great shortcut to no mental health though

I'd definitely do the bare minimum at work while job hunting if it was me
Money can't buy happiness, but lack of money can buy a whole lot of stress.

The Fool posted:

Doctors don't care about what's in or out of your scope.
So much this.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 12, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

i am a moron posted:

Your post is really concerning to me. I don’t think anyone can or should answer that for you.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

3.11 for workgroups. With rodents revenge and MechWarrior 2. I don't think I ever used 95, went straight to 98.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Hell yeah, got it! Waiting on the final offer, and I'm doubling my salary.
:toot:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cyks posted:

Not only did this company not have DHCP snooping (or anything really since the switch network was just basic netgears when I started) but they also used 192.168.1.x as the internal network. Made that change as fast as I could.
Mine is 192.168.x.x, and I feel like I have to apologize anytime I have to give an internal IP because of it. I could technically re-address everything, but that would be a hell of a mess and we have enough fires to keep me busy until I escape.

E: stupid typo.

Umbreon posted:

This week is going to be incredibly intense for me. Been trying to adjust my sleep schedule to a day shift in preparation for working any day shift jobs I might get, and it's leaving me completely exhausted. Coincidentally, just got a call earlier confirming another company wants to do an interview, so now I have three this week, and all of them are going to last hours. After months of not getting any interviews at all, I'm extremely grateful for these, but good God I'm going to be so dead inside.
You need to work nights, right? B all the way to me. Best pay and appreciation of your condition is nice.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 7, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Who’s public IP space are you clashing with
None, it just feels unprofessional.

193 was a typo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Not confirming that our new ISP did their poo poo properly bit me in the rear end last night. We're one of the few who run on prem exchange and the new ISP did not put in the reverse DNS entry we requested. Not a huge deal, we're not planning to get rid of the old ISP until the end of January but still annoying as hell as I was staying late to do the cutover.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

IME the first few years of VMware were the same way - the idea was everyone would rush to virtualize their servers and shove them in an MSP's data center, but not a lot of people did that, and the few that did regretted it. Also a lot of poo poo didn't work right with Vmware when it launched, which is similar-but-not-same to the challenges of doing a full cloud migration.

At least with voice/video, there's not a ton of incentive to migrate. Ucaas doesn't save money over an on-prem environment, and it really doesn't save money over sweating an ancient PBX. The vast majority of C-types see IT as a cost center, so they're always going to go with whats cheapest. From a technical perspective, adding offices or doing an M&A is way fukken easier on cloud, but cloud still sucks poo poo at things like lobby phones or analog lines or integrated devices. Thats not getting into that most voice/video environments at large organizations are going to be 10+ years old at a minimum - all the people who did the install, all the people who know the workarounds and weird configurations , they're all long gone. Simple stuff like migrating the recordings from the auto-attendant and the new system doesn't quite support the exact same features in exactly the same way... and the person who recorded the prompts left five years ago. (You have absolutely no idea how political an office can get when deciding whose going to record the auto-attendant greeting)
There's also this overwhelming feeling of inevitability w/r/t to migrating to MS Teams voice, and teams voice loving sucks.

That doesn't get into the nuts & bolts of a voice migration, like figuring out if you're keeping the same carrier or doing a LNP port or whatever. Migrating voice to the cloud is a shitload of work for very few tangible benefits. Ultimately I think a lot of local services will move to dedicated devices similar to Mini PCs or raspberry pis with hybrid integration into the cloud.
My boss (IT director) was cool and chill until he seriously seriously single-handedly hosed up our ancient pbx to VoIP phone migration... And left it still hosed up 6 months later in various ways. His departure was... forcibly assisted. There are so many behind the scenes ways to screw up voice, it really is a bloody minefield.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Major software update had to happen before the end of year and the other dept's ducks weren't in a row beforehand, so of course it got scheduled over Christmas weekend. IT was the only group in the office on Friday.

Putting out the minor fires from that upgrade, and otherwise not doing poo poo today.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Alarm at 5, out the door at 6:10-6:20, daycare dropoff at 6:45, at my desk at 6:55. Nice to be off at 4, but I end up sitting around until 4:40, get the kid, and then go get the wife who isn't off until 5 as we carpool.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

We got a new admin secretary in a new spot and I had to add a phone for them yesterday. We're all set for passthrough and phone vlan, so unplug the cord from the desktop, plug it into the phone, plug in the phone to computer cable. Phone doesn't come up. Spend 10 minutes checking various things before tracing the network cable that was plugged into the desktop... Which was plugged into nothing on the other side.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Whenever I've tried to figure out what I wanted to do next, or whenever I'm talking to someone in a similar position, I try to keep in mind what's adjacent to them now.

[Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's good advice to learn how to code, do IaC, do DevOpsy things. If that interests you, go for it. But I don't think it's a truism and I don't agree with it being the only path for someone in tech. Sysadmin isn't a popular title these days not because the concepts don't exist anymore, but because we've all gotten specialized enough that it's not a useful term. It's not the first time titles evolve and I'm sure it won't be the last.]
What would be good titles to be searching for if intune+AAD is fine? I need to find something decently paying and remote to facilitate a move next year.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The annoyance to me is two identical monitors having to be at 0 tilt to match up exactly. Which isn't ideal. So having them not match at all is less distracting, so I run a 27 and a 24. But I'm crazy and have run taskbars all over the place, including right down the middle between two screens for a long while.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

tickets i've gotten today:

- help i'm getting an "out of storage" message (does not include an image or what the notification is coming from, ignores follow up message)
- we got an alert on a computer, no i won't tell you what it means nor do you have access to view it yourself <goes into hour long meeting>
- help i can't copy this url (does not tell me what he is trying to copy or what steps he has taken)
Never ever expect more than this from users. Ever. Just consider it a bonus when one occasionally is helpful.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

finally started on my homelab journey by building a PC with spare parts I had in the closet and shoved ubuntu desktop on it. i had more fun working on it at 2am than i have at my job, ever.

if anyone has any good first projects please lmk here or via pm

glad to know, current plan is to just blame shipping and hope they don't ask followup questions
Switch it to esxi or proxmox and re-build it as VMs.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've gotten the same Linkedin message. gently caress Wisconsin, if I want to become an alcoholic I can do it just fine here in Colorado.
They have listings up everywhere for the spots, but they all require you to relocate for it. No thanks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

States should be square. It never sat right in my head that going east-west through Illinois takes like 2 hours but north south is over 6.

Tennessee and California are just more ridiculous examples of that.
Just to blow your mind a little: Reno, NV is further West than L.A. is.

Internet Explorer posted:

As someone not from a square that who now lives in a square state, can we put unique notches on them or something? I never know what the gently caress I'm looking at when I look at a map.
Growing up in CA and having moved to the mid west, the differences are stark in not obvious ways. IA is a loving grid of tiny rear end roads. There are people everywhere. Not a lot of people, but people. There's a road every mile, E/W and N/S both, in a grid. Some are bigger, some are smaller, but there are roads and houses everywhere.

There are spots in CA and NV where there are 0 permanent residents within a 100mi radius.

My schools in CA had outdoor hallways and amphitheatres. 3 elementary schools feeding 3 middle schools feeding a high school. Schools in IA are a single giant building from Pre-K to High school, all indoors. Because of loving blizzards like today and negative degree high temps in winter.

And then there's the different meaning of "hills" in each locale...

There's obvious stuff too, but a lot is not anything you'd think about if you hadn't lived in both.

[/rant]

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 12, 2024

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cenodoxus posted:

lol, what? That has nothing to do with what state you live in, that's just the difference between cities and rural school districts. Iowa has both, friend. I promise.
Yeah that's true.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

They drop a little banner asking if you applied, but I think it counts anyone who clicks and un-counts if you click no later on

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

GreenNight posted:

What the hell is a reference account

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Once you confirm it was the user themselves meeting up password entry (and not some malicious actor) you should be unlocking the account in active directory, not changing their password. You get a ton of weird password issues if you change it manually (Windows tries their cached password, fails, locked out again). Just unlock the account and have them type in their password correctly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

jaegerx posted:

For you younglings, roommates and rent are something you do in your 20s. In your 40's you pay a mortgage.
:perfect:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

We got SSO rolled out a handful of years ago and I want to like it, but it's configured in a way that every new internal website I visit every day requires me to click through the login process again. It's like they figured allowing me to have a single credential was enough and none of the convenience features deserved attention.
The checkbox from MS to reduce sign in things does absolutely loving nothing for us here and its annoying as hell.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sounds like IT to me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Trying to get an idea since I’ve only worked one support role so far.

How many tickets do you usually handle a day normally?
That is a huge huge range of possible answers depending on the org you are in.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I've been at my place for nearly 2 years and there are still black holes in the design of stuff around here. Its disconcerting and yet hard to fix sometimes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ugh I hate answering interview questions. Even more so when they are being asked as part of an application.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

not really i was in high school at the time
You weren't born for 9/11, were you?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Had a phone screening today. Went great, dude said he had a ton of applicants and interviews to do, but told me I crushed it and was already shortlisted for the spot. :yotj: and moving may be in my future afterall. Pay is on low end of my acceptable range, but giant believer in internal promotion and it's government so it's probably not going away anytime soon. Could do worse. 75-80% remote and no on-call, too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

RFC posted:

I'll be silently mourning Horizon. Been working with it and teaching it since it was VMware VDM 2.7
We're still using Horizon view. But the shop is moving towards epic whether we want to or not and the prevailing view is epic doesn't allow that, or that the hospital we're semi-attached to doesn't allow that, or something. IDK, I haven't been involved in planning that. Hopefully I'll be gone in a month and won't have to worry about that poo poo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

That sounds exactly like the docs I’ve worked with.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Had a phone screening today. Went great, dude said he had a ton of applicants and interviews to do, but told me I crushed it and was already shortlisted for the spot. :yotj: and moving may be in my future afterall. Pay is on low end of my acceptable range, but giant believer in internal promotion and it's government so it's probably not going away anytime soon. Could do worse. 75-80% remote and no on-call, too.
1-1 interview went great, he narrowed it from 47->4 with the phone screenings and already said I sailed through the 1-1 and will schedule the panel interview when he finishes the other interviews.

The pay level is still less than I'd like but the supervisor seems chill and claims to really push internal advancement, so I guess we'll see. I'm getting slightly excited. I might try to get brought on as a senior based on experience and interview performance, the pay differential would be good and I think I've earned it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I had a surface book (1, from launch day) and really liked it even if I almost never undocked. I could go for another one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Gucci Loafers posted:

Why not? There's management, HR, etc. and potentially tons of overhead. Sometimes you just need tech to run and it's easy for a company to literally just hire another one.
It also gets them (theoretically) a pool of employees who are familiar with their systems in case that one employee goes on vacation or takes off.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

How old is the Windows install you're running that lets you have IE installed still?
Win10 1809 LTSB for us. *cries*
We're almost done moving away from the damned thing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

Broadsoft became Webex Calling, etc. I think the only brand names they retained were Webex
On it and :puke:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Yes I am extremely happy with my employer, why did you ask?
Not a bad gig. Hiring?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

Not positive, but she was FaceTiming with a friend and playing Roblox, and as far as I can tell, she enabled screen sharing before handing the tablet to me for more time, and had her friend watch the on-screen keyboard

I cannot directly ask her if this is what she did, because if she never thought of doing it before, I sure don't want her starting now
Nice.

When I was 10ish I got the password to our dial-up account by hiding a notepad window behind an always on top app and asking one of the parents to sign in for me. Kids are inventive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

Left handed mouse usage is haram.

I’m left handed and right eye dominate. Played trumpet and an IT man so my right hand is more dexterous but left is the primary hand for things. Shits wacky.
I'm right handed but left eye dominant. Makes for a weird sight picture for pistols and shooting skeet/archery lefty.