Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Seems like a great opportunity to get the job, clock in and do absolutely nothing for a day or two and collect a few thousand. Maybe install a persistent foothold if you feel like you might need a bigger payday in a few years

E: Ooh even better get chatgpt to write you code

CloFan fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

The DHCP talk feels "ironic" to me because it appears really broken on our Fortinet firewalls. Setting up a side linux server to prove to the loving company that they need to RMA this poo poo. Otherwise apparently if the power light turns on it's not their problem.

About 6 years ago there was a firmware bug on fortigate where dhcp would not work unless the device had gotten a lease before the update. Those would renew fine but new devices couldn't get anything. I think it took like 2 months to get a patch, ridiculous. Their work around was to let the fortiswitch and fortiap do DHCP on non-conflicting ranges, it was a pain in the rear end. We didn't have any servers at this site but probably should have just thrown a Linux box in the closet

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

i like using ftp to put roms on my 3ds

but do you delete them after 24 hours like a good citizen

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I used MigrationWiz a year ago to move a client from Gsuite to O365. 10 users, charged them $2200, worked fine. Now they want to migrate back lol so thats on the December project list

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

I’m calling it a swamp instead of lake as it always ends up with a lot of garbage in it.

This is brilliant and I'm stealing it

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

That's pretty hosed up. Hell at that point just lie and say something was broke and replaced and it's good to go now. Good luck in your job search!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:yotj:

Told my team and colleagues today so I guess it's official. More money, less responsibility, free Masters degree, what's not to like? I'll be the senior sysadmin focusing on O365 but there's still an onprem DC so who knows. Being small-time academia it will almost certainly end up being more of a generalist role.

Really going to miss my current school though, great people and mission. No more board reports or cabinet meetings, at least for now. Back to IC for me, with a CISO that has yet to be hired..

Congrats susat! Enjoy your resignation

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

On prem servers are a red flag for an incompetent workplace and the flag is only getting redder and bigger as the years roll on

:wrong:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sardonik posted:

The very thought of going on Ellucian's (the biggest student information system provider) cloud offerings makes me shudder. Heard nothing but horror stories because they straight up do not have the people to provide the 'Service' part of SaaS.

As someone on Ellucian Cloud Banner. Do Not loving Do It. Also never do business with Ellucian Professional Services, find one of the other consultant groups that specialize.

For those that want an HCI that doesn't suck, check out Scale Computing. There are plenty of limitations and it might not fit your workload but it's solid and Just Works if you need to host some servers

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

thalweg posted:

My job has this and the average employee is probably above 50 so I've watched some people take 10+ minutes to create a password that meets policy

Use it as an opportunity to teach them about correct Horse battery staple! Pick three words and add some punctuation, bada boom policy is met

The add a 1 when it expires duh

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Somehow I got away with setting a no arbitrary expiration policy at my soon to be old job. State auditors and parent system didn't agree with it but I never had to fight that battle.. good luck, next person!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've grown very accustomed to the two week campus closure for holiday break. Like I forget places are actually open this week.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

jaegerx posted:

If I was an IK I’d probe all of you

MDE

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:chloe:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've worked at three different orgs where turning off WINS was forbidden due to load bearing bullshit

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Well, it finally happened. :yotj:

Nice! Was this the internal transfer or are you headed elsewhere?

Today was my last day at the college. Next week is pack/move, then I start on the 15th at a much larger school

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Lol hope it works out. Few years back we were delivering a couple dozen all-in-ones for a new computer lab, and my tech noticed the new vehicle we were driving had an automatic hatch open button. He pushed it, and one of the computers slipped out and busted terribly on parking lot concrete. Sorry not sorry Dell, thanks for believing it was shipping damage!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

For the home router, use a device or VM with pfsense or OPNSense on it

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

That’s only in gmail, right? Right?

It does not apply to GSuite at least, the period is required (or not) there

I learned about plus addressing late last year and it blew my mind

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

ODT.exe /download
Setup.exe /configure configuration.xml

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

johnny park posted:

Well googling that constraint led me to someone who has apparently solved the literal exact problem I am having https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2340616-project-install-to-existing-office365-installation

I owe you a drink if this works when I test it after lunch lol

Nice. I bet it'll work, had to do something similar for Project/Visio add ons. All the M365 and Click-to-Run stuff has gotta be gone to install a named-year version

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I moved into the campus housing today, new job starts tomorrow! Only it doesn't because we're closed for a snow day :toot: Jury's still out if we'll be open Tuesday

Agrikk posted:

I’m pissed because only one of my two jobs honors MLK day. So I either work slightly less or take a vacation day to get the whole day off. What to do thread?

In other news I spent the day up in the slopes and had a banger of a day, despite it being a high of 5F on the hill.

Bad news is that I rolled the passenger side window down to defog the windows at the end of the day and the thing won’t roll back up now. I’m in a two hour drive home in 20F with a 65 mph wind chill.

Is there an IT worker here who can debug my e-Window? Would that I had an old school hand crank window that Just Worked until the handle broke off.

window regulator motor doesn't like the cold I bet. you could pop off the door panel and raise it manually and tape it, or shut a tarp in the door to block the wind

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Fifth day of work at new job, only not because roads are still iced over. Free 1 week vacation with no responsibilities, gotta love it!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The Fool posted:

getting a little jon boat isn't that expensive

Seriously get a little flat bottom boat with a small engine and you're g2g

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I made a lot of money in college by sticking a penny between the heatsink and proc. Buy for <25, sell for $150. Hell the 360 I have is still running thanks to ole lincoln

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Could be worse, your governor could be embezzling funds via fictitious lectern purchases

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:psyduck: that is a fun list of scandals

my mayor is also my dentist so he doesn't have much time to meddle

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

What are the enterprise ready alternatives to ESXi anyway?

HyperV, Nutanix, Scale Computing, Proxmox

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The ceo of Scale has been doing an "I told you so" spiel on the conference circuit since the acquisition announcement. I guess some would-be early adopters opted out due to fears of a buyout when they first started about 12 years ago

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

In the early 00s we had a computer lab on campus that closed at 5pm. At 4:55, a tech would go in and announce to the room to wrap up and shut down. They'd go smoke a cig, come back to the lab, and put their key into a key box on the well. Turning it killed power to the entire room, thus closing the lab. Worked pretty well!

Honestly a physical key-based auth would be pretty neat. Probably more secure than most user passwords anyways

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Asteroid Alert posted:

since I have a 3 month non-compete and 1 month notice period.

I don't know gently caress all about US labor law let alone foreign, but this sounds like total BS that any labor advocate can get you out of. Especially since you've been furloughed, gloves are off at that point.

Do not give this company any more loyalty. Hell, guiet quit and collect your pittance until they fire you, no more severance notice needed then.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Elem7 posted:

Don't know that I'd describe it as a documentation tool but if you just need a better solution for taking screenshots and then doing basic manipulation, for free, which is what it sounds like Token needs, give GreenShot a look. Also Powerpoint has some in-built functions for that and screen recording a lot of people seem to not know/forget about.

Greenshot is what I use when making documentation. Great for simple markup. I did look at a purpose-built documentation platform that will take screenshots or video clips of actions and automatically build a wiki page and publish it. Can't remember what it was called, didn't go that route because greenshot and confluence exist

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Counterpoint: my org uses the desk phone and on prem pbx all day, every day.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Doesn't that just mean the manager respects your decision? It's one thing if you speak frankly to them about an opportunity before it's official or before putting in notice, but if you tell me you've accepted another offer I'm not going to try to counter, generally. Of course every situation is different.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

CloudNS can do web redirects like that, and has a decent api for acme and other automation. Real cheap too!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Those stories are very good to use in interviews, always have one ready and how you successfully rolled back and recovered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Accidentallied did something that got our entire company domain flagged as malicious by google. That was a fun week of apologizing to my teammates as we desperately worked to get that fixed.

As someone once told me in this thread, if you're not in position to ever make huge mistakes you're not doing important IT work.

Lmao I was doing some questionable searching with Google operands once, leading to the entire campus of like 5k students and teachers to have to do a captcha for every Google search from our IP

I think that was when I learned about load balancing outbound nat