Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Not European, just work in academia. You did remind me though that my healthcare is fully paid by my employer.

I have to go in Monday, then I'm off until Jan 5th. All paid holiday. Hell yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

This is awesome, live hacking attack map: http://map.ipviking.com/?_ga=1.98376799.153405815.1403529861

Right now you can see people hammering St. Louis, even their computers can't catch a break.

I want to make this into a live wallpaper, this is neat looking

E: Ah hahaha if you switch tabs in Chrome, when you switch back it will 'catch up' with all the attacks and mostly just looks like a crazy deluge on St. Louis

E2: I think something broke : http://i.imgur.com/msZbVsT.jpg

CloFan fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 19, 2014

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The guy that did our pen testing at the bank had Xerox, ATT, Canon etc. name badges for the social engineering aspect of it, so he was kind of like a spy which is pretty cool

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

One helpdesk worker fired for being incompetent, one PT tech fired for pulling a final exam off a professor's PC and cheating, one FT tech put in his notice. It has been an interesting day so far!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sickening posted:

I thing I find to be a head scratcher is how you even get caught doing it?

He picked the wrong professor to do it to-- the prof is super paranoid and tech savvy, so when the answers came back too similar to his key, he started digging around and asking the IT director if it was possible; lo and behold, a log is made on the accessed computer, pointing the finger at our guy. He was a good employee too, just a college student that made a bad decision really.

nielsm posted:

That can actually happen in reality?

It was a long, long time coming. Dude came in late nearly every day, watched netflix a majority of the day, left voicemails and emails for the next shift instead of logging them himself, and was basically dumb as a rock. He outright refused to learn to use a flash drive, just saying "I've never had much luck with flash drives..." and telling whomever that he couldn't fix their problem if it involved one in any way.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

See It, Do It, Teach It is a pretty good learning method

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Anyone ever heard of a company called Ellucian ? They offer IT consulting, outsourcing, hosting, etc. The VP in charge of our department sent out a somewhat ominous email about a survey Ellician will be conducting on campus. We're scared because two departments in the last year have been outsourced, and there are rumors of further outsourcing but they haven't been about us.

We're meeting with the VP on Wednesday about this, but man now we're nervous.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

nvm

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

mattfl posted:

We upgraded our fax manager software this morning to a newer version that supposed to fix other issues, it looks like it may have fixed those issues! But, now all our faxes are coming out with a watermark across them from this company http://www.glyphandcog.com/. It appears that the software vendor has decided to cut some corners and have included a trail version of a PDF creator in their enterprise software! We sends thousands of faxes a day and have probably had thousands of faxes go out to doctor's offices/pharmacies/hospitals/etc with this watermark on them. Ooops! This software vendor is one of the larger providers of EMR software around too!

:lol: That's pretty bad, was this a one time cost or ongoing service? You should get a refund either way though, talk about bushleague

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Misogynist posted:

Professional etiquette is one thing, but if your employer encourages employees not to talk about money with each other they're violating the National Labor Relations Act

It's more of an implied or culture thing and not a sue-able policy in a lot of places, though. Was like that at the bank, but I still talked about it with some people.

I'm at the state now though, a tiny bit of internet detective work and you could find out exactly how much I make. Also, knowing how much everyone up the chain from you makes is interesting information.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The Dreamer posted:

When I worked at my Universities Library it didn't even take internet detective work. We had a giant binder that had to be updated regularly with the salary of every non-student employee of the University. All you had to do was ask to see it.

Now available in PDF on the internet!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Our printer guy quit a couple weeks ago and the ticket queue is full of "printer doesn't work" BS now. We need to get a new guy in soon because seriously, gently caress printers

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

theperminator posted:

How many printers do you have that it's someones fulltime job?

Hundreds? College campus.

E: Okay that guess is a little high, but there are a fuckton of printers and they always break

E2: And that's not really his job, per se... he just took care of those tickets usually

CloFan fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 6, 2015

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Pulled this out of a rack today:

Not sure how well it translates in the picture, but those top two batteries are bubbled up and it was a complete bitch to get out of the unit. I was sure any second I'd be sprayed with lead acid

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Switched from the Dell Optiplex desktops and Latitude laptops to HP EliteDesk and EliteBooks last summer. The price difference was significant cheaper for the HPs, same specs and warranty/onsite repair options. You'd never hear me say this about their consumer line, but I enjoy working with their enterprise hardware.

The last two years we got Dell 790s, then 7010s. We've had some high failure rates, maybe around 5 or 10%, mostly bad power supplies. I know I don't have as big of a sample size for the HPs, but I've only had three or four go bad out of an order of 275. Ordering another three hundred of the units this summer, so we'll see if the quality is consistent.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We've come a long way since Furbys

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I just accept every connection request on LinkedIn. Is that wrong?

Same, generally. Except for that guy from India, I didn't think I'd need that connection.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've had 6 no-work snow days in the past 8 workdays. I've been paid to sit on my rear end and play video games; sometimes, university IT in the south ain't so bad :colbert:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know if it was this thread or another, but someone had talked about non IT people having access to a computer or a switch

Two of the dorms on campus were built before networking was mainstream, and so about 15 years after they were built they were retrofitted for Ethernet. Only problem is, there's only one port per room and it's either two or three people to a room, depending. Students had to buy their own switches if they wanted additional ports, till about 2 years ago when Residence Life got tired of complaints. They ended up putting a 4 port switch in every room, much to IT's chagrin.

We've had surprisingly little issues with students creating network loops, but about once per week we get a call about internet not working and just about every time there's no uplink because the student unplugged the cable from the wall and plugged it into their PS4 or whatever.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

E: /\/\ Sounds like you did alright. Good luck!

MagnumOpus posted:

America's secret weed-oriented drone wars. :2bong:

I want to watch a documentary about this. Good thing tomorrow is (yet another) snow day! I'm up to 7 paid days off this year without using any PTO, not too shabby.

On topic, say I've got an faily good idea for a software solution. Before I start working on a prototype, do I need to see an IP lawyer or something to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's patent?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

IT Trainer put in his two weeks today. He was a good one, and will be missed

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I just want to make enough to afford my car and my house, along with a few hobbies. I guess that's why I'm working government in the middle of nowhere

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've been out of this thread for a couple weeks because I got a promotion and have significantly less free time to browse the forums. I was desktop support, am now helpdesk manager / corporate trainer / jr. network and server admin. I've been learning the ropes of all these hats, all while helping with a visualization migration from VMWare to Hyper-V.

My first pet project was to implement a VNC type program-- previously, if our techs had to work on a computer they had walk across campus and physically touch it. I have implemented MS's built-in solution of Remote Assistance, driven through Group Policy. It's really a simple and elegant solution-- my helpdesk guys can now click a shortcut, type a computer name and then they're in. One of the requirements for this project was user consent; some professors and school administrators don't like the idea of having IT being able to hop into their session at any time, and the simple pop up of "Helpdesk has offered Remote Assistance and would like to view your screen" solves that nicely.

In the process of this implementation, I've learned that our Active Directory leaves a lot to be desired. All domain computers are solely in the "Computers" container, including servers. There are no Organizational Units set up at all, and computers are not purged so there are registered PCs from 2006 in there. I started work on cleaning it up by making an OU of "Disabled PCs" and throwing the really old machines that haven't been logged into in a few years in there to be deleted at a later date. I think cleaning up and organizing the AD will be my next project, so I'm reading up on GP, AD, and OU Structures on Technet now.

Finally, I wanted to mention that the past few pages of this thread have been pretty great thanks to the Cloud-->Butt Extension

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:lol: at this thread.

My users keep attempting to download Chrome and get malware instead. How hard is this?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Race Realists posted:

Anyone here (or have ever been) a Help Desk/Tech Support Manager? I just figure that to be a sort of missing link between Network Admin and Helldesk

I am this as well. I'm tier 3 support, but I only manage the three helpdesk guys, not the four tier 2 guys. It's weird, but it works I guess since we're a small department. I'm also doing server admin and network admin tasks, but that's mostly just shadowing and helping the one server admin guy and one network admin guy we have.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

First of all, thank you for sharing. I hope that you are able to take some of the advice coming your way. You want to quit; why even go in tomorrow? The worst that can happen is the dude fires you, and then you're exactly where you want to be. Goodvibes man, you'll land on your feet!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Dude, just Don't Go Back. :bahgawd:"You'll never work in this industry again!" :bahgawd: is the lamest threat ever. gently caress the company, let them drown in the mess you've been dealing with for the past 10 years. You owe this company nothing.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I really enjoy my job-- like, I don't mind waking up in the morning and sometimes look forward to coming in and accomplishing something. I'm on track to become the network admin in <1 year, certs are paid for and I get to touch a lot of neat technology. Small, public University IT. Pay sucks, everything else is great. Future is uncertain, though-- IT Director is retiring next year and this university has started a trend of outsourcing operations, although no mention has been made about our department.

I have an interview tomorrow. It would be with the county courthouse, I'd be a one-man IT department for around a dozen employees. I'd work directly under the county judge. Pay starts at 2k above what I'm making now, but I think I can talk them up some more because I wouldn't take the job at that rate. I know it sounds like I'm putting the cart before the horse here, but I've got an inside source that they've only got two applicants and the other one has very little experience. Oh well, I won't really be able to make any kind of decision until I learn more about their workplace, anyways.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

CloFan posted:

I really enjoy my job-- like, I don't mind waking up in the morning and sometimes look forward to coming in and accomplishing something. I'm on track to become the network admin in <1 year, certs are paid for and I get to touch a lot of neat technology. Small, public University IT. Pay sucks, everything else is great. Future is uncertain, though-- IT Director is retiring next year and this university has started a trend of outsourcing operations, although no mention has been made about our department.

I have an interview tomorrow. It would be with the county courthouse, I'd be a one-man IT department for around a dozen employees. I'd work directly under the county judge. Pay starts at 2k above what I'm making now, but I think I can talk them up some more because I wouldn't take the job at that rate. I know it sounds like I'm putting the cart before the horse here, but I've got an inside source that they've only got two applicants and the other one has very little experience. Oh well, I won't really be able to make any kind of decision until I learn more about their workplace, anyways.

Quoting myself here. I went to the interview yesterday, and it went well. I was incorrect in the numbers department; it would be about 100 users spread across 6 locations in the county. A couple libraries, sheriff's office, two courthouses, and a road maintenance dept. 35 hour work week, better insurance, worse 401k (no match), same holidays and same PTO. The interesting part is, I would be steering the county's technology direction for the foreseeable future. They need to come up with a 5-year technology plan, and this position would be the one to create and implement it. It would also be the guy who fixes broken printers, so there's that. They are receptive to paid training expenses, but since it's a county gov't any and all expenses will need to be approved by the quorum court. Hardware purchase, staff expansion (I was told it is feasible to hire more IT staff in the future), literally every penny spent must be approved by the court.

It's a tempting position because of the influence within the political system I'd have, but I'm leaning toward a No at this time. A 7% increase is too small to throw away what I've built and am building up to at my current job.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Who does that? :stare: indeed

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Mammalian posted:

I was curious enough to put my phone brightness to 0 and check it at my desk... I... I regret it.

Googled it on the work PC and then forwarded it to coworkers under the guise of asking for help :getin:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm working on setting up OTRS to get away from Track-IT. Basically, we didn't use 90% of the features in Track-IT but were paying four grand a year for it. OTRS is a bit of a beast, it seems like, but I'm finally nearing the tail end and should be able to put it into production this month. I ended up using their Appliance image, which is kind of limited I guess, but I didn't want to work on setting up OTRS and setting up a new linux config.

Other than that, I was looking into MSSC Service Manager, and Solarwinds Helpdesk. We're purchasing a large package from SW so I'm going to try to convince them to throw in at least a year of their helpdesk licensing so we can try it out.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Last year, someone on campus misappropriated funds and purchased three ASUS RoG gaming laptops: i7, 16gb ddr3, Nvidia 670, 1TB SSD.

Long story short, that person got fired, and I have a new kickass laptop!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Nearly shot myself in the foot with GPO recently. Autologon script linked to domain instead of OU, along with some other lab-specific settings and restrictions. Two things saved me, 1) I caught it early in the update cycle and 2) It's summer, no class in session.

Time to set up a lab. I have access to basically unlimited hardware and MS software. VMs in VMware and HyperV, a few bare metal servers no longer in production, and like 300 Dell 7010s and the power to run them. Is the cloud still a better option?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We're looking at O365 because our Exchange server is 2003 and bossman wants to move to hosted instead of on-prem. The past couple weeks seem spotty for O365. The other alternative is Google, which he's apprehensive about for whatever reason.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hungry Computer posted:

I finally made my first useful powershell script! I'm making a new image for a lab and each PC has a matching domain account it must automatically log in with, so I made a script that automatically finds the proper account, checks to see if the necessary values exist in the registry, then makes or modifies those values so that account automatically logs in. Nothing crazy but I'm happy with it.

Hey cool, I did the same thing a couple weeks back. Just FYI, I found a post on TechNet about how doing autologon via the registry results in a a plaintext password, if an enterprising user decides to look. If you use the AutoLogon.exe that Microsoft provides, it basically does the same thing but hashes the password.

In other news, my week long Hyper-V training is getting cancelled because they couldn't find 4 guys in the state of Arkansas to go. There's a powershell class third week of August, but it's unlikely I'll get to go because that's crunch time for academia IT.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I wish there were a "Numlock is always On" button. I literally have never used those keys in any other way, and it causes frustration on a regular basis thanks to VMs and RDP

myron cope posted:

I feel bad about essentially ratting the person out :ohdear:

Better you than a DMCA. We got a few of those yearly thanks to students, easy to explain away though.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Roargasm posted:

The problem is kids are bastards. Give them something static and they'll gently caress with each others accounts, let them pick their own and you'll be resetting them constantly (we reset 3% of freshman accounts every day, first year I've done self-assigned PW). I think I might go with a matrix of colors, picked randomly + their 4-digit student ID for next year e.g. Green0023, Violet3452

We use first four of their birthday and last four of their social. I'd be interested in metrics of password resets, as we have three different systems using different passwords. Network acct, student portal acct (for stuff like transcripts, class schedules, financial aid stuff), and O365 account. It would be nice to sync them all, but at this point that would be a huge project to be undertaken during the beginning of the summer.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Aunt Beth posted:

Do you work for an Upstate NY community college?

Nah, rural Arkansas university

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

You did it!

:lol: