Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

I have 4 24" Dell monitors at work. Two are vertical, two are horizontal. :smug:

Everyone here has 4 24" monitors. I'm not sure I could ever go back to a measly two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, Airwatch is pretty vile, and that's compared to the average enterprise software company.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Yup, I love my bank using that awesome cheap rear end VPS to host my financial information. EVERYONE SHOULD USE THE CLOUD FOR EVERYTHING.

Dude's literally assembling parts for a database server like it's some baller gaming rig. I don't think it's a bank.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

We used to have Hammer Day once a month for the 2.5" drives we marked for disposal. One of my guys had too much fun and smelled so bad afterwards he had to be sent out

Well you can't let the drives sit around that long. Of course they're going to stink.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

MF_James posted:

Cool, yeah I've heard of ubiquiti stuff and almost bought one for my buddies cottage at one point, I'll check on that, thanks!

They also make managed PoE switches, but I don't think I've ever seen any hands on feedback on them.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Antioch posted:

I wish we could use AWS, I find it much nicer than Azure. Unfortunately I'm in Canada at a Financial Institution, and security wise we'd rather not have any data on American servers. So Azure it is.

Good news, a Montreal region is in the works: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/in-the-works-aws-region-in-canada/

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

I don't yet have the powershell chops to iterate through all shared folders and output file and share permissions. This one client has 8 billion shares each of which has subfolders with difference access controls. I guess I get to do this by hand :(

This is the universe presenting you with the means to learn some powershell.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Official PDF opener.

The Royal Food Taster in the age of cryptolocker.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Anyone here travel for work? I have an offer in hand that would require traveling roughly 1 week per month, M-F, to work on client sites. I've never traveled for work but I'm old enough to think that I might really hate it after a few months. When I'm not traveling, it's 100% remote, so that may make up for it. I don't have kids, but I do participate in evening things (orchestra, etc) that I would be sad to miss 25% of the time. It sounds like the clients are more likely to be in California than in the middle of the continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Sprechensiesexy posted:

My previous job had me travelling a lot, think about 40-50% of a month. What do you want to know?

I'm trying to figure out whether I'll enjoy it or not. I realize it comes down to personal preference, but how did you like it? Did you feel like you were working standard hours and were able to spend the evenings relaxing in whatever city you were in, or did you feel like you were on the clock for the entire time you were traveling? Was it a net positive or negative in your overall experience with that job?

VV Oh word thanks, I didn't know that thread existed.