Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations for reading on MDT (specifically 2013, though I'm not sure how much that matters)? I've found a lot of stuff online, but if anyone's got a particular site or book that they like, I'd love taking a look at it, too.

Having just recently learned how to really use MDT, I would recommend the TechEd MDT videos which really assist in getting a solid grasp of the product. You can also go back to previous TechEd videos for more material. Johan Arwidmark's blog is really good along with a number of others that you can find when you start googling for little solutions. But most importantly, just build a lab off a whitebox or spare desktop in your house and test deploying with WDS/MDT in VMs. Then get a physical box because it's important to understand how drivers function with MDT (it's quite simple really). After a few months, I finally introduced it to my MSP and we're using it on big projects. I'm also using MDT on OEM Windows setups (SMB clients) with a Post-OS Install Task Sequence that uses a Powershell script to uninstall the HP bloatware (can share if anyone is interested), fully update Windows, and install whatever software is needed (mainly Office)- definitely automates up what has turned into a chore.

dox fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dox
Mar 4, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Architect
Engineer
Administrator
Analyst (this role can be a more senior position but is tainted by all the entry level analyst positions)
Technician

All of our Tier 1, 2, and 3 levels are "Engineers" at an MSP. It seems titles are worthless in IT.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

So I'm like a year into working in IT, and I've managed to configure a pretty ballin' MDT 2013 setup, using a .wim file sourced from a VMWare box (I originally used one from an Optiplex 9020 but it was having driver conflicts with a few other models here and there, so I had to figure out how to build a WinPE .iso that had VMWare network drivers). MDT automatically installs the proper drivers sourced from the Dell .cab files I have loaded in there, and then runs a few command lines to do some other stuff (forces an Office 2013 activation, etc.).

I just got a new Optiplex 9030 All-in-One going, and somehow I'm still impressed that it's working perfectly on the first try and I don't see any missing drivers.

I know this is all several years below most of you guys, but things are still moving just fast enough here that I'm constantly learning but I don't feel like I'm drowning. Also, pretty sure it was someone here who told me to figure out MDT instead of using ImageX for deployments like I was, so thanks. :shobon:

Love to hear this. Bit worried about that reference image you're using... but if it's working for you for now then roll with it. Check out Johan Arwidmark's TechEd reference image creation video next time you have a chance. :)

dox
Mar 4, 2006

You'd still need to boot off of a USB with MDT unless you're pushing commands via PsExec, right? http://www.deployvista.com/Blog/JohanArwidmark/tabid/78/EntryID/121/Default.aspx

No, MDT doesn't require using a USB drive. The ideal method is PXE (network) booting to the MDT image using WDS.

adorai posted:

I would use WDS. It doesn't get any simpler. Make an image, sysprep, capture, then just pxe boot your clients.

WDS isn't a deployment solution- MDT is the deployment solution that you use with WDS. You're only able to use static images with WDS- MDT gives you so many more options that you should definitely look into. Deploymentresearch and Deploymentbunny (yeah) are two really good resources by some MDT/SCCM MVPs. The TechEd videos are what really got me started. If you're deploying Windows workstations or servers this is what you want to be using... it's free. If your entire organization is OEM Windows installs all you need to purchase is one volume license copy of the matching OEM edition and you are granted re-imaging rights and compliant with licensing.

dox fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 18, 2014

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Drunk Orc posted:

What are some useful programs I should have on a USB for general windows desktop support?

I create a multiboot USB using Xboot and then add in my own ISOs and customize the menu. I normally have Acronis (imaging/backups), Seatools (check drive), SpinRite (fix drive), Memtest (check memory), DaRT (Windows utility, can be used for automatic repair/cmd line access), Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor (easily reset passwords), and Ultimate Boot CD/Hirens Boot CD (a combined ISO with plenty of tools). Normally within Windows I go directly to bleepingcomputer/filehippo and download the normal AV kit I use (rkill, TDSS Killer, MalwareBytes, Combofix) and cleanup utilities (CCleaner). Anything more within Windows is probably worth a re-image.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

I honestly had no idea that some people actually used any OEM machines as configured out-of-the-box. :confused:

I created an MDT Post-OS task sequence system with scripts to remove HP/Dell bloatware after getting sick of setting up Windows OEM desktops... it works really well. I work for an MSP supporting loads of small businesses so "just make an image" wasn't really an option for a variety of reasons.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

J posted:

We're starting to have increasingly more users requesting if we can provide them access to our windows file server on their phones, tablets, etc. These devices are their own personal devices so obviously there is a mix of operating systems at play here, and they also want to be able to access stuff from outside the office. I've been asking people who make this request for some information on their use case and what they actually want to accomplish, but I always get a vague answer back. "Oh I was just wondering." "Oh it would be faster to pull it up on my ipad instead of turning on my laptop." Those types of answers.

In my extremely brief researching of the topic I'm seeing all sorts of various third party apps popping up to provide this kind of service. Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to go about implementing something like this?

I work for an MSP and we've started deploying eFolder's Anchor product out to clients. It's basically a Dropbox replacement for MSPs and gives us granular control over the data and the machines that access it so you can easily remote wipe and such. A big component of the product is the "file server enablement" piece which basically "cloud enables" your file server allowing you to create "team shares" on Anchor that map to certain local folders or UNC paths on your network. The Anchor agent keeps that synced up and allows for permissions on each "team share". They have smartphone apps where you can access the data from. The permissions are really good because you can limit access to only Web/Mobile or only WebDAV. Another great part of the product is that it is completely brandable in terms of naming, icons, logos- we have our named [company] File Sync with our own logo and no one can possibly know it's Anchor unless they've used the product before.

Anyway- it's a good product and can be hosted internally as well... they pitch towards MSPs but I'm sure will sell to anyone.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Anchor is awfully similar to Sharepoint as well but have you got logging to actually work on the cloud version? How difficult is it to setup the on-premise version?

What do you mean by logging? On the endpoint it definitely logs to the logs folder. We are using the hosted model, not the on-premise- I just know it's possible.

edit: I also feel like it's pretty different from Sharepoint as there's no customizable home page or anything like that. We use both internally.

dox fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 13, 2015

dox
Mar 4, 2006

"No encrypted user vault data was taken, however other data, including email addresses and password reminders, was compromised."

In this particular case, there doesn't seem to be a huge reason to run away screaming if you're using two factor auth (which you should).

I mean, what other alternatives are out there? Using Keepass and storing that on Dropbox/Spideroak (or schlepping it around with you), writing down your passwords, using your same password everywhere... I don't really see any other options but maybe that's just convenience over security.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Hi thread!

After an executive cagematch and subsequent reorg, my taskings have dwindled to nothing. I've begged for work and have not got it. I've done work for other teams, and have been admonished because "your plate is so full right now." So I'm doing nothing.

Farting around on the forums was fine for a while, but can anyone suggest a more productive way to spend my time? I have a laptop I can install anything on, and an unlimited wifi hotspot. Unfortunately I'm in an open office, so I can't work my way through the Criterion Collection or anything.

Cert up and get out. Or become that guy who didn't do work for like 5 years.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
I think you guys are blowing it out of proportion. We probably have dozens of people here on O365 and yet only two post. Hell, we have 50+ clients on it and only two were affected.

I'm still on the side that it's a quality service with extremely limited issues. What you see here are more people's gripes with it than its success. But maybe I drank the juju sauce.... who knows.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yesssssss.

:derp: "I wanted to give everyone local admin and this seemed the easiest way"

I've seen Domain Admins added to Domain Users. More than once.

Gotta love working for a small business MSP.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Can you guys make your own thread to discuss recruiters? I'm pretty sure we're on page five of rehashing the same bullshit over and over.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Methanar posted:

gpresult /v | ConvertTo-HTML | Out-File gpreport.html

gpresult /h gpreport.html

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I wound up buying one single copy of Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft Volume Licensing; I shouldn't have to, but allegedly that gives me unlimited imaging rights to clone it on to all the other legitimately Windows 10 activated PCs I have. Then I guess I just punch in the volume license key to force them to activate instead of relying on their incredibly inconsistent activation servers. I paid two days ago, still waiting on the key from the VAR.

Microsoft licensing is terrible, but this is what I've learned after months of haggling on various projects for clients and carefully reading the wording in their documentation. First, the machines that you are putting the image on must have the same OEM product and version as the volume licensed image. 8.1 Pro -> 8.1 Pro, 7 Pro -> 7 Pro... so you cannot put 8.1 Pro VL on a machine purchased with 7 Pro OEM, or 7 Pro on a machine purchased with 7 Home. But you can put 7 Pro VL on an 8.1 Pro OEM machine because you get downgrade rights.

In addition, the Windows 10 upgrade for volume licensing customers is a paid upgrade and I'm led to believe that you'd need to purchase one for each device you want to upgrade. But, the reimaging part would remain true if you purchase new machines with Windows 10 Pro OEM and image with a purchased Window 10 VL key.

Also, try doing your imaging with MDT/WDS-- I think you'll have a better experience than cloning with Acronis. PM/IRC if you need any help.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

LastPass was bought by LogMeIn. https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/10/lastpass-joins-logmein.html/

The comments are worth looking at here. Don't think it's going over as well as they had hoped for. Can't say I'm surprised.

Ugh... I can't picture anything good coming out of this.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

So what virtualisation platform are people looking to migrate to? :v:

Hyper-V :suicide:

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Are you recommending everyone should just have normal user accounts and only use admin accounts when needed?

Yes, exactly. Also, no GUI on servers and RSAT only from a dedicated admin machine. But at a certain point, depending on the size your environment, you're moving towards whats best but perhaps not exactly feasible.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
I have a colleague who is placed full-time at a law firm- I have to fill in for him when he is out.

He has an Outlook 97 and Excel 2000 book on his shelf. His desk/shelf hasn't been cleaned out in 19 years. I lean towards thinking he has checked out.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Hold up a minute...

You posted here specifically to look for candidates for your job posting and yet you don't want to hire anyone from here?

Makes sense.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Oops.

It's ok- I'm dox and I'm here to stop the dox.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

I have deployed the product for a client. After reviewing and working with most AVs out there (working for an MSP), Cylance is pretty much at the top of my list. But it's also at the top of the list in cost as well- something like $60/year per endpoint. It is a completely different type of AV that does not rely on signatures. The deployment/management is as easy as it can get-- it can even layer on top of other antivirus with no issues. It's just very hard to recommend because of the cost- my current favorite cost/performance is probably ESET.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Foe Hammer posted:

I have a ton of experience with WDS & PXE, I am currently working on setting up our wds server to not only deploy all images but have all tech tools setup within the pxe boot. so I can plug in any computer into my network or if I'm onsite at a managed services client that I vpn link to my office I can simply boot to nic and run memtest, hdd test, and a million other tools.

If you do manage do achieve this, please post how you did it. I tried to get things like Memtest to boot via WDS, but failed miserably. You have to go down a rabbit hole of configuring things like PXELINUX and I quickly gave up.

dox fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 3, 2016

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

I mean, it's not really a "rabbit hole of configuring things like PXELINUX." You need to configure PXELINUX to boot your Memtest86+ image (which is a single file), then set your DHCP server to point options 66/67 at your TFTP server, which should be your WDS server, which it sounds like you already had set up anyway. That's literally it. If you want to have PXELINUX chainload your regular WDS boot image off its boot menu, you can do that too.

There's a specific example for WDS on the wiki which isn't too bad:
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=WDSLINUX

Fair enough- guess I just couldn't get it to work.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Computers (This is a default folder where all new computer accounts go. This folder should be empty if you're doing your job)
Users (This is a default folder where all new user accounts go. This folder should be empty if you're doing your job)

You'll be happy to learn about redircmp and redirusr! I always run these after creating a new OU structure.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The real trouble is when we get around to fixing the 'Default' domain policy, and raising the functional domain level.

dcgpofix /target:Domain

dox
Mar 4, 2006
stop before I dox you all, go to the terrible AV thread to discuss your terrible opinions

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Highly recommend AD-based activation, gently caress the KMS DNS-based shenanigans-- no minimal requirements!

dox
Mar 4, 2006

abigserve posted:

someone that relies on terminal emulator QoL things to do their work is probably loving up somewhere is my spicy hot take

with good automation and ci/cd the amount of time you spend in terminals should be extremely low and it should basically be "running automation commands" (unless you're a neteng ofc)

even the netengs can push everything through ansible :smug:

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Just use native ssh in Windows or in WSL with an ssh config... I'm not really sure why anyone would prefer PuTTY these days... also use ConEmu.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
I thought the days of nagios were over and now everything is a Prometheus metric?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

The Fool posted:

Not everyone is running web apps.

:thinkdorm: https://prometheus.io/docs/instrumenting/exporters/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dox
Mar 4, 2006

The Fool posted:

Still don't see anything that will make monitoring my ADFS farm easier.

However, brb, going to export nagios to prometheus so I can be cool like the kids.

one of these days Windows will be a first-class citizen!