Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Today I discovered the best use for twitter ever: trolling the gently caress out of an IT conference hashtag and everyone tweeting it.

Selfies at a vendor booth, loving really?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Che Delilas posted:

Look. You can't post something like that and then not include links. It's like saying, "Oh man I just saw something so funny! Well, bye."

My profile is private, so there wouldn't be much of a point as it wont show up. I hit IT conference bingo as soon as I walked past the registration table, jean shorts, hawaiian shirt, and greasy ponytail. I almost asked him about stairs, jesus christ. However, this happened:

https://twitter.com/VMUGEmily/status/494873557277499393

For whatever reason (it wasnt me), I discovered it here and tweeted it to the conference. Great placement whomever! It was moved 20 minutes later.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

skipdogg posted:

I just retired a DL360 G3 today, built circa 2003. :angel: I wish I could say it's the last one, but there are a couple more I know about that are that old still up and running.

Still in production. Install date on the WINNT folder is 11/12/2002. :patriot:

And don't worry, it'll be gone very, very soon. I had a whole lot of things to un-gently caress at this sister company when I took over, and this has been the least of my worries.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 11, 2015

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We just got maxed out 6540s for the team, though the graphics switching stuff doesn't work for poo poo.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That's not that much depending on size of company and industry. What software are you using? I'm currently running an audit with the free Papercut Print Logger so we can identify what printers need to be changed out for a higher duty cycle model.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Same, no PSTs for anyone - you can still access any you had before the policy went into effect, but otherwise tough poo poo. 2GB for peons, 4GB for managers, 6GB for directors, 10GB+online archiving for anyone higher than that. No exceptions to the rule, we verify your title with HR.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There are only three of us on the on call rotation, we go on a weekly cycle. I've been here 10 months and only been called once after hours. Third shift warehouse operations isn't exactly a high priority, go pick up a different scanner/wireless label printer and we'll get to it in the morning.

We do get after hours boss emails because he's a workaholic, but there's not an expectation to respond unless it's clearly an issue that can't wait until the morning.

Previous two places were awful, two jobs ago I was on call 24/7 for 3 months straight with the app development manager abusing it for new deploys after hours because he couldn't manage his poo poo.

If you're in IT infrastructure on call is just part of your career, the trick is asking the right questions in an interview to understand their expectations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Kashuno posted:

guess I get our sysadmin position on monday :toot: Can't wait for this disaster.

Well that escalated quickly.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have a replacement San quote in front of me that is 55% off list. We can likely do better since we haven't kicked in the refresh for our DR San yet.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Had a wierd/good closed door conversation with my director today. Good part is that i'm still getting my quarterly bonus even though I didn't hit the second half of my goal sheet, since I was sidetracked for a month with an unexpected high priority project.

Wierd part is that he knows the Sr. Admin is looking, and wants me to quietly start looking into and understanding the infrastructure the Sr. Admin is in charge of. He then in not so many words expressed his displeasure with the Sr. Admin's work ethic and how he was quickly heading in the wrong direction with some of his projects. Somewhat unprofessional as a manager in my opinion, that's the kind of thing you say to a managerial peer, not a subordinate about another subordinate.

Bodes well though, here's hoping for a promotion soon. :getin:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 16, 2015

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Two jobs ago my director was cool with me using an unused md1000 for offsite backup of my Linux mkv collection, as long as he had access to the network share.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our dba/business apps guy just brought us three sysadmins a 6pack mixer of good craft beer each, to thank us for all the little requests he brings us all the time.

He even listened from a while back when I told him he could bribe me with dogfish Head 90 minute anytime. Merry christmas to me!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sefal posted:

Woo. I get to migrate the AD, from 2008 to 2012R2.
Now I just need to not gently caress it up.

It's not hard, just takes some planning and thought. How big is your org and how many domain controllers do you have? How many are hosting DHCP? Do they have any other services/applications running besides AD/DNS/DHCP, and if so why? For example, we have the Barracuda DC Agent running on ours for the web filter SSO. Understand your AD environment fully before you start replacing DCs with 2012R2 vms, and make drat sure you know where you FSMO roles are (as in don't dcpromo down a domain controller that has any of them).

IF YOU ARE A MASSIVE ENVIRONMENT TEST OUT YOUR CRITICAL APPLICATIONS IN A TEST ENVIRONMENT FIRST.

If you do it right, you won't need to re-ip the dns server settings in dhcp/static IP devices, just replace one domain controller at a time. Backup dhcp database if installed, dcpromo down old, verify metadata cleanup manually, change prepped vm to previous dc's IP, rename to old DCs name if so desired, dcpromo up, verify ad/dns are syncing happily, restore the DHCP database if needed, have a nice day. Takes about 15-20 minutes for the whole process unless you have a massive AD database and the initial sync takes a while.

Once you're on 2012R2 across the board, update forest, wait 15 minutes, update domain.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sefal posted:

I need to have a good roll back scenario. I think i'm fine with a vm snapshot.

Nooope.

Make a third domain controller for the transition just so you have an extra copy of the global catalog, don't bother activating it. Move your fsmo roles to that temporarily and swap away. You won't be able to raise the forest/domain functional level until all domain controllers are 2012R2.

Also check to see if you are using still using FRS for SYSVOL, you can change it to DFSR now with no impact. ADUC -> View Advanced Features -> System OU -> DFSR-GlobalSettings -> Domain System Volume -> Topology. If your DCs are listed there you're all set.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If you're replacing a server that has the DHCP role just backup the entire database prior to replacing it on the same IP address, so you don't have to go around re-doing IP helpers all over the place. Replace domain controller, import dhcp database, authorize, set dynamic dns update service account, downtime of less than 30 minutes for dhcp. Ideally you'd export it using the powershell command from a 2012R2 server, that way it gets exported in the new xml format.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/%5Clibrary/jj590659(v=wps.630).aspx

Example 1 in there should cover it, though you'll likely need to add "-leases" to the command as well.

I had trepidation about the whole domain controller replacement upgrade thing when I started doing them here 6 months ago, but once you understand the fundamental parts that tie everything together, it's no big deal. Hell, I majorly hosed up a dc replacement one night (going from 2k8r2 to a new 2012r2 on the same IP with the same name), and I wasn't freaked out at all when I realized what happened. Metadata cleanup, spin up a fresh VM, and I was back up and running in 30 minutes. If I didn't understand the environment and how it wasn't a huge deal with respect to client impact, it would have been a much more stressful experience.

It's all about your environment and knowing how things are set up; I deal with 6 domains that have a total of 18 domain controllers, with trusts between 4 of them. Two are segregated off (wierd acquisition thing that we're not going to integrate). All of our clients point to the dns servers of the new domain that we're consolidating everything to, regardless of what domain they're joined to. There are DNS forwarders in each domain pointing to all the others, and we added a group policy to have clients append the dns suffix of each domain when searching for single-label names. Servers in each domain point to that domain's dns servers. At this point I can reboot any drat domain controller in the middle of the day with no impact even to DHCP, since that's in a failover relationship with our DR site.

....I really need to get off my rear end and pare down that "to-document list"...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have gotten gently caress-all done today, 5 more hours 'till Star Wars, thanks Dell!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My company has tomorrow and Friday off, and I took Monday/Tuesday off as that's all the PTO I thought I had, use it or lose it.

Hq is completely loving dead, no tickets have come in, my boss is on a boat in florida, and I'm not doing fuckall work wise. I logged in to adp and lo and behold, I have 12 hours still left, so I put in for the 31st off then hosed off work to the bar down the street. Working on an IPA after a shot of fireball before going home to my family in town.

Merry Christmas admins!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I would be fine with that, I can ignore my family!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
You can't just snag/borrow one from work? We've got two gen7 dl380s with 64gb/dual quad core sitting around I could easily take home, I'm just waiting until its legit to do so. I p2ved/v2ved everything that was on them from another company that will cease to exist in 2-3 months. They're out of warranty and we're a Dell shop. I might take the emc clariion cx4 to go with it for a full shared storage setup, I just need to figure out where the hell to put it in my garage.

Two jobs ago I got to take home an r720xd tower with 30tb that we misordered, that was fun until I had to give it back when I left.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sr. Admin posted:

Not sure if I ate something bad at lunch today, but have been sick most of the night….I will definitely not be in the office in the AM, will see if things are better by the afternoon.

Uhuh. Sure. Hope the second interview and piss test go well, I look forward to getting a promotion when you leave!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yes they are, IPS for life.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sr. Admin just put in notice. Let's see how long it takes/if they're smart enough to promote me to Sr. Admin as soon as possible. :getin:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Please, feel free to critique my work desk as well. :allears:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I took the 5.5 class a year ago; I need to get off my rear end and take the exam.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Email exchange with my boss yesterday:

Him: I've been working through testing the new application stack you set up for <x>, and I can't hit this web url.

Me: Not sure what's the problem there, I asked <SR Admin who's out the door Friday> to test each web server services individually and through the VIP, apparently he didn't do that. I'll recheck everything.

Him: <SR Admin> doesn't know how close he came to being walked out the door, but he's someone else's problem now.

Uhh, that's just a bit unprofessional there chief, you just don't say poo poo like that to your subordinates no matter how much you trust my discretion. :catstare:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sheep posted:

My only conditions are that if you have a degree, it can't be from a for profit school like DeVry or ITT tech or Mycomputercareer.com or whatever

Never, ever hire anyone with an ITT tech degree, I worked in their corporate HQ for about a year and all the stories are true.

Good tech experience for my resume though!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
God dammit, it may be time to start the YOTJ process again. I've been with my current company for almost exactly a year, and came from an absolute trainwreck of a place so i'm very happy to be here. Current company is a pretty good place to work, no calls after hours, decent boss, good benefits, and a fantastic commute. I've gotten hands on with all of the major systems, made a lot of significant changes for the better, and the project list for the upcoming year would be good items to have on my resume.

Except for the fact that they didn't make any money last year and are now implementing cost-cutting measures.

To include no merit increases.

And the bonus goals check from last quarter just hit my bank account, and it's 1/2 of what it normally is net, even though my boss said he was putting me in for the full amount. Time to raise some loving hell as soon as I get my ADP statement. Cost cutting measures, fine, but you don't gently caress with my paycheck. And yes, I have it in writing.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Collateral Damage posted:

Time to move some place where the local economy doesn't hinge on oil.

One of the companies that I support just put in a warehouse in Houston 6 months ago with the intent to supply the oil/gas industry. You can guess how well that's working out for them!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It's not like a 1u 1socket 8gb ram 250gb raid1 server with ipmi costs all that much. If i'm in the middle of a catastrophic vmware cluster event, the last thing I need to be stressed about is having a copy of the global catalog and basic dns resolution along with everything else going on at the time. It's cheap peace of mind for that exact scenario.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yup. Right now in my life I have an easy job that pays well enough without a lot of bullshit and a pretty drat good commute. The market here is decent enough, but I'd have to add 10-15 min to my commute. There's enough going on to keep me here through moving everything to a colo after deploying a new San there, since thats a nice bullet point on the resume.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So I just got a new income agreement and it hilariously screams "holy loving poo poo don't leave tia." A nice 7% raise to base pay effective next week, along with doubling last year's bonus potential for this year. If I stay on through the end of 2017, an additional 7-8% to base pay next march, as well as a tripling of last year's bonus potential. I guess that settles my low-key job search and i'm staying, :toot:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I must be in a pod then, because unless it's something I plan myself to do after hours, when I leave work at 4PM it stays there until I return at 7AM. There is on-call but I've been called maaaybe 5 times in the past year, and always for stupid poo poo that I could tell them to wait until the next day or just put in a drat ticket.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Excel will be that they've got a 25GB spreadsheet full of macros and it stopped working on Jan 1 and the guy who made it quit back in 2004.

One of the companies we support has so many of these goddamn things. Beyond making sure that people have the ODBC connection which all it takes is throwing them in a security group, we tell people to pound sand when they have issues. "Take it back to the person that gave it to you."

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So we were supposed to have a candidate interview today but he hasn't shown up or called or anything...

What's a forgivable grace period for tardiness without notice?

We had a candidate interview scheduled for 3:00PM, it's now 3:06 and the doorbell hasn't rang. I'm not exactly worried about him even showing up; how his resume made it past my boss is beyond me. 4 pages(!!!), 4 different fonts, inconsistent style throughout, 10-15 bullet points per job when 6-7 would do, the list goes on.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There's no way i'm admitting any of my fuckups openly to you all.

That said I will happily continue to share other people's fuckups as long as it's anonymous.

For example, the time I witnessed (after I tried to be the voice of reason suggesting we double check and being told "balls to the wall man") a senior infrastructure engineer pull the storage fiber out of the back of a production vmware host. Right before lunch. Our vmware cluster was deep not wide, so that killed 100 or so VMs.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 19, 2016

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

DropsySufferer posted:

I have a second interview for a NOC position coming up next week. The first interview was the best interview I've ever done in my life. I had a call back within two hours telling me they wanted to schedule a second interview next week. This time it will be with the bosses: the CTO, a VP, and maybe the CEO.

Does anyone have any tips for second interviews?

This sounds like a rubber stamp interview, making sure that the C/V levels like you on a personal level. So be personable, etc, but mostly yourself. Don't be a different person from the first interview.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I need to look into an MDM solution. Initial use case will be for android-based scanners, but we would like to extend it to company issued cell phones/byod devices down the road. What solution do people use, what do you like/dislike, and what is the per-device license cost?

The baseline has been set at a sister company with Wavelink Avalanche, $58/device license + $12/yr maintenance. However, they went with the easiest solution and didn't really do any real research, they just went with what the scanner vendor suggested.

e: also has to be able to be hosted on-premises, global parent company has a cloud ban. :rolleyes:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 18, 2016

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I implemented quickbase at a previous job with secure LDAP authentication. Pretty slick product for what it is, but yeah, hilariously pricey even for SaaS platforms.

I took our backup tape inventory tracking spreadsheet and turned it into a beautiful web app for when we cycled tapes out of the loader, taking what was a god awful process for swapping tapes and updating the inventory and cutting the time in half with a barcode scanner.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I worked at the ITT tech corporate office for about a year and that company is hilariously dysfunctional.

Got some good technical experience for my resume but everything else was a shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Meraki scares me. Hopefully that's not a huge headache for you though.

Same, not sure I want to trust a third party with access in to a business infrastructure. Cool tech, it does work as advertised. I'm perfectly happy to run the free MX-64 they sent me for the next three years at home until the subscription runs out, however!