Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Haha that's exactly what I did when I quit my last job with nothing lined up and wanted to paper over the lack of IT employment in the interim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

Probably not, but the interview was over after he bragged twice about ending a pissing match between the systems and network teams over who owns DNS by turning off Active Directory DNS in the middle of the work week
The saddest part is that he almost had to have been bullshitting you about it and didn't even realize that his made up bullshit was not helping him.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Nevermind

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 27, 2016

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

insidius posted:

I got a new job in the same industry.

Things are so much better I sometimes worry there is some horrific gotcha to be exposed at any moment.

Until such a time should occur, I am going to enjoy this sense of calm and relaxation.

Congrats! you deserve it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

mayodreams posted:

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Holy gently caress
We had something similar-ish where we asked a guy one question, then asked a question on a similar theme ten minutes later. He answered "like I already told you" with such vitriol that I let him know he wouldn't be getting the job.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Engineering dns server went down today.

After the second hard drive failed a month after the first hard drive failed that I told them about.

Guess who gets to rebuild a new one from scratch?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

Ooooh, can it be bad interview story time?

We were hiring for tier 1 up here in Portland, OR. We pay a bit above industry for tier 1 ($24-26/hr I believe) so we're looking for pretty competent folk. We use a local staffing firm to do the first round of weeding out for us, so the people we're doing interviews with have supposedly been vetted already.

I'm first up to interview this candidate after he makes pleasant with the HR lady. One of the other interviewers and I have a policy, whichever of us goes first gets to be good cop, softball questions, just get to know the guy, whoever is second is a complete dick, super hard questions, no laughing, poo poo like that. So I enter the room, say hi, shake his hand and I notice that 1) his hand is sweaty, 2) he's sweaty and 3) he seems very nervous. I'm willing to chalk that up to nerves, so lets start the interview.

I can't get this kid to answer me straight on even the softest of creampuff questions. He keeps looking around, can't focus. 15 minutes in, I can see literal pit sweat starting to show. Meanwhile, he's telling me OVER AND OVER how excited he is about the job, company, opportunity etc. Finally I ask him if he's feeling OK, he seems a little nervous to me, and as god is my witness, this is his answer: "I didn't sleep last night because I didn't want to sleep through my alarm, so I had a triple espresso and 4 red bulls just before I came in so I'd be super alert!"

Needless to say, he did not get the job.

Aww, that's cute. I hope you were nice to him about it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KillHour posted:

I would have rescheduled the kid.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Turtlicious posted:

How Hire-able am I?

2 years Remote Support Experience (in one of Inc 500's "Fastest Growing Companies")
Comptia A+ Certified
In progress BS in Information Technology
Early -> mid 20s

I'm wanting to bail because in our office their is only "Tier 1." There's no awy to grow into a supervisor or higher paying position because we share supervisors which the much larger Customer Service division, and so they end up hiring / promoting each other. I'd like to make more then 14.70 an hour some day, and I can barely afford to live where I am, or even an hour from where I am. If I start applying where should I start since I have experience in the field?

Does my experience match "the norm?"

With those skills you should be easily able to land a ~$40k/y System Admin, NOC or Tier-2 Helpdesk. Care to share us your resume?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Otherwise tier 1 support lines look like a good opportunity that should pay more unless you're deep in the south like Larches, where 30k is good salary.

That's the mean salary for all professions in my area.

On a whim, I implemented Slack this morning. Turns out that's a super easy process, but what amazed me is I had full team adoption by lunch :hellyeah:. Granted, only a dozen people, but I can already tell that this will be great. Tomorrow's goal may be to implement SA smilies, sure hope it doesn't get me fired

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
How common are contract to hire positions?

A recruiter contacted me recently about a position with a significant pay increase that was listed as full time direct hire. After a few conversations they sent an email asking if I would still be interested if it was a 6 month contract to hire. My initial thought was no but I replied that if they increased the compensation for the 6 months, I might be interested depending on other details.

Is this relatively normal? This would be my second IT job, not sure if I should just hold out for a direct hire.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

hitachi posted:

How common are contract to hire positions?

A recruiter contacted me recently about a position with a significant pay increase that was listed as full time direct hire. After a few conversations they sent an email asking if I would still be interested if it was a 6 month contract to hire. My initial thought was no but I replied that if they increased the compensation for the 6 months, I might be interested depending on other details.

Is this relatively normal? This would be my second IT job, not sure if I should just hold out for a direct hire.

The only difference between contract and contract to hire is the small promise tied to the end of the other.

The question you want to ask yourself is if you want the full benefits fte would have from the start or risk betting on being an fte later. I personally don't do contract at all.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Contract-to-hire positions are common and there's a little controversy surrounding them but if your young, have stable finances and the gig looks good it's not necessarily a bad thing.

EDIT - Remember, with CtH you won't get any benefits (PTO,Health Insurance, etc) but with some basic negotiating you can make it work out.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 27, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I started as contract to hire and got full benefits and PTO :shrug:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

EDIT - Remember, with CtH you won't get any benefits (PTO,Health Insurance, etc) but with some basic negotiating you can make it work out.

This is circumstantial/wrong, I really wish people would stop repeating it every single time the topic comes up. I've had two contract jobs, both offered health insurance. It wasn't necessarily good, but even union health insurances can be lovely.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is circumstantial/wrong, I really wish people would stop repeating it every single time the topic comes up. I've had two contract jobs, both offered health insurance. It wasn't necessarily good, but even union health insurances can be lovely.

I stand corrected but it's not exactly common.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm CTH and I don't get health insurance. The company is required to offer it due to the ACA, but it's not subsidized at all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that contract/contract to hire benefits very greatly by company and country.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

All of the places I've applied that have been C2H have offered it. I don't know about subsidizing it, since I don't get their before/after numbers, but the main exception I can think of is the single one that said they kick in after 90 days. That, combined with the fact that it required travel out of state when the job opening said just Northern Colorado was enough for me to lose interest.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

In my downtime today I stood up my first working LAMP server and wordpress blog from a blank VM. I know that's babytown frolics but I feel good about successfully teaching myself to do something beyond sighing forlornly at printers. :unsmith:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Tab8715 posted:

Microsoft Buys Yammer for 1.2 Billion

Interesting, it's just I'm surprised that Microsoft spent so much on the purchase yet it appears it hasn't really changed much? What are some examples of how the company is using the product?

Sorry, been in meetings all day, some examples:
- communications teams use it to push announcements
- smaller teams use it for all internal conversations, they only use email for working outside their team, zero internal email
- asking questions of a wide audience, like is anyone using x software, who runs x service
- posting and reporting system outages
- posting job openings and other automated system reports
- user group communities
- events and discounts listings

We've found for an organization this big and geographically dispersed Yammer has helped level the org and allowed people to communicate across business units.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that contract/contract to hire benefits very greatly by company and country.

Seems to be the case.

The recruiter replied back that they have some group plan I could buy into and we could figure out something for pto. They also offered like $2 per hour more for the first 6 months. I guess I just need to estimate costs and decide if I'm OK leaving my job to basically try out for another one.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

hitachi posted:

They also offered like $2 per hour more for the first 6 months.

Seems like they want you there but be prepared to give that $2 / hr back if they give you a full time offer. I've heard around here that salary employees sometimes take a hit after contracts to cover benefits, leave room for long-term raises, and fit in the pay structure of other full time employees.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

skipdogg posted:

I would have rescheduled the kid.
That was my first thought, but I'm apprehensive about someone who a) has a history of sleeping through important events and b) has done enough trial and error to figure out that staying up all night and popping uppers is the only reliable way they have of showing up on time

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Vulture Culture posted:

That was my first thought, but I'm apprehensive about someone who a) has a history of sleeping through important events and b) has done enough trial and error to figure out that staying up all night and popping uppers is the only reliable way they have of showing up on time

Frankly I doubt he did any kind of "figuring" at all. Whether that really changes anything is another matter.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm a contractor, I get my insurance through Obamacare exchanges and I come out WAY ahead. It's going to depend on your state, but if you can find a plan you like on the exchanges, you might have a lot more options available than you realized.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I was a contract employee for three years and got PTO, 401k with partial matching, health care and better pay than the FTEs on the contract. Also overtime pay vs. the FTEs who were salary. It's going to vary from position to position so it's important to get clarification, but it's dumb to write off a C2H position out of hand. Asking "should I consider a C2H position" is about as useful as asking "is food good?".

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tab8715 posted:

With those skills you should be easily able to land a ~$40k/y System Admin, NOC or Tier-2 Helpdesk. Care to share us your resume?

No problem, my company does some weird digital reputation bullshit, so I'm trying to figure out how much I can put online. One of my friends got fired for "Gross Incompetence," shortly after posting their resume on reddit.

E: Would you want like the actual formatted gdoc, or just a quick summary?

E2: Those who hire, what do you guys think of Western Governor's University degrees?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

E2: Those who hire, what do you guys think of Western Governor's University degrees?

I'm cool with them but I generally hire people who are in school/don't have degrees since I'm not some HR drone just looking to check a box on a form so YMMV.

My only conditions are that if you have a degree, it can't be from a for profit school like DeVry or ITT tech or Mycomputercareer.com or whatever, and the school must be accredited by a reputable organization from the region (WGU satisfies both of these).

Sheep fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 27, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Turtlicious posted:

E: Would you want like the actual formatted gdoc, or just a quick summary?

Simple way: take a screenshot, remove sensitive info (name, contact info, names of employers/titles), upload to imgur.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KillHour posted:

That is kind of adorable. He sounds eager if nothing else.

Kind of reminds me of my interview for my current job, except I had just come off a 72 hour work bender and driven 2 hours for the interview.
I wasn't sweaty or gross, I had gotten pretty good at taking sink-baths at that point. But I was cracked out on caffeine and a bit nervous.
Not, "holy poo poo I'm scared to answer questions and talk to people," nervous. But that sort of, "if I don't nail this interview, I'm going to be pulling a LOT more 72-hour shifts" kind of nervous.

I hope the kid gets another shot. (not of espresso)

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That is kind of adorable. He sounds eager if nothing else.

Kind of reminds me of my interview for my current job, except I had just come off a 72 hour work bender and driven 2 hours for the interview.
I wasn't sweaty or gross, I had gotten pretty good at taking sink-baths at that point. But I was cracked out on caffeine and a bit nervous.
Not, "holy poo poo I'm scared to answer questions and talk to people," nervous. But that sort of, "if I don't nail this interview, I'm going to be pulling a LOT more 72-hour shifts" kind of nervous.

I hope the kid gets another shot. (not of espresso)

No, no he did not. I didn't waste everyone else's time either, the interview ended with me.

Its one thing to have worked the night before or had an emergency. Its bad judgement when you're unemployed to stay up all night then mainline red bull.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DigitalMocking posted:

No, no he did not. I didn't waste everyone else's time either, the interview ended with me.

Its one thing to have worked the night before or had an emergency. Its bad judgement when you're unemployed to stay up all night then mainline red bull.

Yeah, it sucks for him, but maybe this will be a learning experience.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sheep posted:

My only conditions are that if you have a degree, it can't be from a for profit school like DeVry or ITT tech or Mycomputercareer.com or whatever

Never, ever hire anyone with an ITT tech degree, I worked in their corporate HQ for about a year and all the stories are true.

Good tech experience for my resume though!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CloFan posted:

That's the mean salary for all professions in my area.

On a whim, I implemented Slack this morning. Turns out that's a super easy process, but what amazed me is I had full team adoption by lunch :hellyeah:. Granted, only a dozen people, but I can already tell that this will be great. Tomorrow's goal may be to implement SA smilies, sure hope it doesn't get me fired

lol nice. I've done this with a lot of SA smilies on ours. :derp: is one of the widest used across the company now during any fire.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We use Sametime which lets you add your own emoticons, and everyone will see them even if they don't have them added themselves. :getin:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Do any chat clients not work like that? We use HipChat and you just upload smilies to a central server and everyone in your organization can see/use them.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Never, ever hire anyone with an ITT tech degree, I worked in their corporate HQ for about a year and all the stories are true.

Good tech experience for my resume though!

Yep. If they're dumb enough to get suckered into paying for for-profit education, they're too dumb to work for me.

Same goes for people that do those 6 months web dev boot camps that cram Javascript into a week with CSS and PHP and tout you as a web ninja superstar guru and "guarantee" job placement at the end. No, you just got milked for your trust fund, and no, I won't let you work here.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

Yeah, but he's a kid and you said this is entry level. People learn good judgment over time. You kind of sound like a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

DigitalMocking posted:

Ooooh, can it be bad interview story time?

We were hiring for tier 1 up here in Portland, OR. We pay a bit above industry for tier 1 ($24-26/hr I believe) so we're looking for pretty competent folk. We use a local staffing firm to do the first round of weeding out for us, so the people we're doing interviews with have supposedly been vetted already.

I'm first up to interview this candidate after he makes pleasant with the HR lady. One of the other interviewers and I have a policy, whichever of us goes first gets to be good cop, softball questions, just get to know the guy, whoever is second is a complete dick, super hard questions, no laughing, poo poo like that. So I enter the room, say hi, shake his hand and I notice that 1) his hand is sweaty, 2) he's sweaty and 3) he seems very nervous. I'm willing to chalk that up to nerves, so lets start the interview.

I can't get this kid to answer me straight on even the softest of creampuff questions. He keeps looking around, can't focus. 15 minutes in, I can see literal pit sweat starting to show. Meanwhile, he's telling me OVER AND OVER how excited he is about the job, company, opportunity etc. Finally I ask him if he's feeling OK, he seems a little nervous to me, and as god is my witness, this is his answer: "I didn't sleep last night because I didn't want to sleep through my alarm, so I had a triple espresso and 4 red bulls just before I came in so I'd be super alert!"

Needless to say, he did not get the job.

You say "kid" but how old was this guy actually?