Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

CommieGIR posted:

Learn the basics about the Software lifecycle (QA - > UAT - > Production) and understand the basic ideas behind those tools and I think they'll be willing to help you with the rest. Most DevOps positions are just looking for someone WILLING to handle these sort of things. Get some experience with Git/SVN, understand how to check out/check in code, learn about things like JIRA and Jenkins build cycles.

So I need to know how to ship code, how much do I need to know about writing code? If I learn Ruby and walk into a shop that uses C#, will that be a deal-breaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
My coding is extremely weak but I like doing it. I have some vanity projects on GitHub already. I sometimes think about switching careers and becoming a developer but in reality I prefer doing sysadmin, I just need a more professional (and more exciting) environment than where I am now. (Not to mention the phenomenal amount of work it would take to get job-ready).

Anyway thanks a lot for that helpful advice. Looks like I've got my new years' study topics set.

Swink fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 3, 2016

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Which is why you always remove that data before you send the doc to a client. (Nobody does this).

Edit: I'm a big fan of Quip for this kind of thing. (Collaboration on docs)

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

DSC is pretty great, because the resources tie nicely into Puppet or Chef. On the other hand, I feel really bad for people using DSC on its own (by which I mean "inventing their own configuration management systems around DSC resources, because the DSC engine itself is crippleware.")

Can you clarify this a bit? I'm trying to decide if DSC Is worth getting stuck into.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Sefal posted:

I passed the MCSA 70-410 exam today!
I have to say, that it is a pretty tough exam. Managed to score 842.
On to 411!

I failed this twice. It was truly cuntish. Difficult to study for.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Do MS tests still do "here's a screenshot of a settings dialog. What tab is x option on?"

Yeah and if it was poo poo you used every day, you might know it, but it's always some random setting you seldom use or would use once like authorising DHCP or some poo poo.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I want to drive that thing so bad

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Wanna link me to that git thing?

On the same subject: Visual Studio Code is free, has git integration and is surprisingly awesome.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

evobatman posted:

Oh God

I am about to apply for a job

As a printer administrator

At a hospital

gently caress me

I hope it's a mental hospital because you need to check yourself the gently caress IN.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I hate phones Jock. I HATE 'em!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Kids destroyed my at-home productivity.

And my carpet.

And my walls.

I push for more flexible work from home options all the time but I could never do it myself right now.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
:yotj:

Through to second round of interviews. Interesting company, local commute. Holy poo poo I hope they can meet my salary requirements.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Hello!

I have a colleague whose focus\passion is networking. He has his CCNA. His role has him doing a lot of desktop support which we all know is soul crushing and I'm trying to find things to keep him engaged.

Apart from just studying for the next level Cisco cert, does anyone have any ideas on things he could lab out that relates to networking that is super interesting?

Swink fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 18, 2016

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
How many servers in the DC got chicken poo poo on them?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Can anyone link me to a good intro to ELK?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I used an SP3 for a long time and just recently switched to a 4. It's just too janky to give out for production use. I have constant issues with both machines undocking and re-docking and having it not come back from sleep. This has persisted across two machines and two docks and reinstalls. A lot of this might be Windows 10(for example, the MDP->DVI adapter that was plugged into the dock and worked fine for a long time is suddenly useless and required switching to HDMI instead. This happened on two separate machines for two different users.)
The SurfaceBook is heavy and goofy, I had high hopes but it's just a real letdown in person. And even at the top end model, the "discrete GPU" is just about worthless. If you want to get into teh "Surface" ecosystem, the SP4 is the better pick in every way.
Also, before you get excited about the Surface Pen, please go try an iPad Pro with a Pencil. It's not even comparable, Microsoft has a lot of work to do before the Surface is what it's advertised to be.

The problem for me primarily is that Windows is an absolutely terrible "touch" OS. They keep trying to shoehorn it, and it just doesn't work. Or at least it's always clear its shoehorned and never quite feels right.

This is my exact experience with Surface and I have ~100 of them in production.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Admittedly I haven't worked in that many different businesses but the idea of someone not having a laptop on day 1 is ridiculous. It's like not entering them in the payroll system.

'Oh I haven't been paid in 4 months so I'm borrowing rent from Big Vinnie until they sort me out'.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I say just do whatever makes you look busy until you can find a new role. The place has no IT competency and you're going to kill yourself trying to institute it from the grassroots.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I came in asking for laptop recommendations! Should HP be a consideration? I need ram, SSD and relative lightness so I can carry it. Currently using a dell XPS13 which has been fine, just needs to be replaced.

Are Thinkpads still the defacto IT Ops guy laptop?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Vga would be nice. I carry a butt load of adapters atm.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Law = sharing mailbox folders between staff.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I just got an offer at a software company doing build automation and general systems support.

I could not be more excited or more terrified.

The fear means I'm on the right track, right?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Edit: don't post at 4am

Swink fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 18, 2016

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
You'll probably get a lot of responses like "they are demanding and 24/7 and terrible" but like all things, it depends on the people. I support 20+ staff who I class as "executive" and some of them are demanding as poo poo, some of them are super chill and would never pull rank.

Interview with them, meet them, ask them what their expectations are. It's the only way you'll get an even moderately accurate idea.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Did I mention I'm becoming a dad soon? It's all downhill from here.

You reckon most poo poo didn't matter before? You're about to enter a new realm of 'who gives a gently caress about that lovely issue?'

It is a beautiful journey. Congratulations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Reading your posts makes me feel dirty. Like somehow the shitness of your org is infectious and making me less capable just from knowing of its existence.

I hope you find something soon.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
gently caress you MSCA

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't care about this, so this part of the thread is over, just FYI

Second.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Active directory will involve mostly unlocking accounts and password resets.

Exchange will be helping people find their missing folders:They collapsed their inbox, press the +

Excel will be that they've got a 25GB spreadsheet full of macros and it stopped working on Jan 1 and the guy who made it quit back in 2004.

Alternate excel query: they need to print this company report to a single A4 page. It has to be readable. It's for thousand lines long.

Exchange thing on point.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Anti tank or anti air RPG programmer?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Ditto!

I actually took a $1000/year hit to get this job. Goodbye professional services where I wear a suit to crawl under some assholes desk all day. Hello software company where I wear jeans and think about automation all day.

So hurrah for both of us :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
M

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hell yes I never want to leave this type of field.

So much stuff to learn holy hell. I am replying to your latest PM , I've just been taking a break from forums (and life) while I get settled in.