Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WickedHate posted:

He and the commentors on his site are really pushing the "He's just super mentally ill, yuck" angle. This guy's such a loving scumbag, I don't know how he exists without everyone in a twenty mile radius being consumed with the urge to kill him.

Being super mentally ill and being a loving scumbag are not mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WickedHate posted:

I wasn't saying that?

I figured as much. I was just making sure it was said explicitly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I just kinda want to punch him

I want to stick his head in the toilet.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Toph Bei Fong posted:

A'yup. He's skeptical of some things, loves privacy, and loves Slate Star Codex.

Somehow I don't think that article proves what you think it does.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

J_RBG posted:

The point of people enjoying him is that they don't think he's shitposting.

It was a lovely tweet. You could use contextual clues to discern whether he actually thought that but I guess we'll never know!!

So he's basically an IRL Howard W. Campbell except Campbell was doing his Nazi playacting for a reason.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fututor Magnus posted:

one really can't be surprised as to how big a loser wesley is when this is how he thinks of his life

I'm the failed attempt at writing an ſ in MSPaint.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oligopsony posted:

Well, actually, that's a long s, which is being used to ironically self-distance from the message (because we're all irony boys)

An ſ is a long s.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Boatswain posted:

Ah yes, the famous technique of sea-lioning.

In fairness that's actually a thing that people have accused others of doing, and it's particularly popular amongst people who also say "mansplaining".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Somfin posted:

It's a good term for it, ya doofus. It's feigned politeness and requests for effort designed to get the other person to shut up. Pittsburgh Lambic, on this forum, is a master of the form. "Look, I know he cited dodgy statistics claiming to show that black people are inherently inferior to white people and stuck by those stats when they were proven to be false, but do you have four other examples of him being explicitly racist?"

I didn't say it wasn't a real thing that douchebags do, just that it's a real term used by people who are often douchebags diametrically opposed to other douchebags.

It's douchebags all the way down.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pookel posted:

Today I learned there are people who can read that Sea Lion cartoon and think it's about polite disagreement. And I thought MY social skills were bad.

I think you'll find that it's really a cartoon about the importance of vigilantly calling out racists and therefore the sea lion is the hero because THE OPPOSITE READING IS TRUE.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The opposite reading is true! The opposite reading is true! I've been to college!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's a shame Orwell didn't live long enough to read Lord of the Rings. That's an essay I'd love to read.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
From what I've heard, Tolkien's own Catholic beliefs made him intensely uncomfortable with his own depiction of Orcs as irredeemable Chaotic Evil mooks, but he just couldn't find a way to fix it in his writing.

Josef bugman posted:

Angry former colonial administrator vs Oxford Don isn't something I'd usually like to see, but now I really do.

If you want to see the real George Orwell you need to read his essays and book reviews. His current reputation as the right's pet leftist would horrify him.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Aug 10, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

So does he think people used to be wrong with they complained about liberal bias, but now they're not?

I doubt he's thought it through that far.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Improbable Lobster posted:

LoB can gently caress off IMHO

Yeah, pretty much.

It's the Mother Night principle as much as anything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Improbable Lobster posted:

https://twitter.com/bmcclendon/status/914988314784038914

Vaguely related to the "rational" dumbasses featured in this thread

You should post this in C-SPAM, there's a lot of these types there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

J_RBG posted:

As a rule it's usually a good idea not to be smug or glad that somebody's a sexual predator, but hey whatever floats the thread's boat

It's more a case of "I knew this guy was really a poo poo all along so it's a relief to have tangible evidence".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

divabot posted:

Kriss has written one genuinely good thing ever, and that's his review of the DSM-5 as a novel, which is of actual literary quality. That made me want to seek out and read more of his stuff. Unfortunately, I was disappointed.

Wow, that's some really loving stupid lit major masturbation right there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Just gonna leave this here.

Where's the rubber skull?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The GOP re-endorsed Moore but they did it in the most tepid and limp-dicked possible way. Basically their national office gave him the political support equivalent of some spare change for a bus ticket.

They did just enough to make sure they went down with his ship but nothing to stop it from sinking in the first place.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

psutify posted:

Is this Time Cube? Is that still a thing?

Gene Ray is dead and Time Cube only exists on archive.org.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BioEnchanted posted:

The problem is Tyson is an rear end in a top hat within his field as well, seeming to have a very "How dare people dumb-down science by making it fun!" elitist attitude.

Which, considering that he got famous by doing that kind of popularizing science stuff, is a really strange attitude to take.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Well, Sandifer's obnoxious pseudo-profound bullshit writing style hasn't changed at all.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oddly enough Prager U's video about the Civil War is exactly the opposite of what you'd expect. An Army guy explains that the South seceded to keep black people as slaves and they all committed treason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm not a fan of modern art (at least, the popular definition of modern art, which more or less seems to mean those shapeless lumpy sculptures that infest public parks), but I understand why it exists and I don't begrudge it's existence, and I can tell you the exact moment I came to this viewpoint:

I was visiting a major art gallery in London which had their paintings arranged more or less chronologically. The effect was incredibly numbing, because it meant I was looking at room after room of portraits of dead rich guys interspersed with a few landscapes and Biblical scenes. After a certain point I was almost running through the rooms until I got to the mid-1800s and the first of the Impressionist paintings, and I don't think I've ever appreciated seeing one of Claude Monet's thousands of loving lily pad paintings more than that afternoon. The abstract paintings a couple rooms later were even more of a breath of fresh air.

What I'm saying is that art changes and evolves, and we're all better for it. For every few hundred insufferable rear end in a top hat art majors who get their degree for making a fingerpaint recreation of Picasso's Guernica done in their own bodily fluids or a performance piece consisting of making GBS threads into empty Campbell's soup cans as a comment on the violence inherent in the system, there's someone doing something truly new and creative.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Aug 27, 2018