Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Cher is the best Weird Twitter Person and she doesn't even know it

e: This one's probably :nws: due to... uh... pepe drawn as a horse with another pepe riding it giving it an erection while it pisses and shits itself... I guess?
https://twitter.com/cher/status/777014713511088128

https://twitter.com/cher/status/777011836545671169

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Pope Guilty posted:

I never would have thought that "your book contains numbers that our system thinks are page numbers and it can only print if it thinks those numbers are in order" would be a thing. And the lack of an override- no way even to tell it "those aren't page numbers"- is amazing.

IIRC the Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff book kept being flagged by the printer for "mistakes" (it's a "troll book", intentionally printed wrong, with intentionally bad graphics etc.) and the author had to keep flagging each "mistake" as "yep, intentional"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

How desperate do you have to be to get behind a spokesperson who constantly trolls you

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Wales Grey posted:

So what exactly is "Kafkatrapping"? I've seen it mentioned a few places and there's not really any good definition of what exactly it is. Even from the blog that apparently coined the phrase.

Imagine you're the protagonist of Kafka's The Trial, except the accusation is extremely clear ("you're racist") and the sentence is mild ("you are no longer welcome to this social circle that you never were part of or wanted to be part of")

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

It's not really contrarianism, it's that many white people invest much of their self-worth in their whiteness, whether they realize it or not, and any attack on the behavior of white people or the institution of whiteness is treated by these people as an attack on their innermost selves.

White people are hosed up.

:jerkbag:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

E: beaten over and over

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Nov 7, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

After Brexit hate crimes went up by 41%. I expect it to be significantly worse than that in the states.

Oh don't worry, after a few months they went back to the "normal" rate

Maxwell Lord posted:

To be sure full on "Dark Enlightenment" types don't even want "a right wing President", they want a full on autocracy and a restoration of feudalism with themselves at the top somehow. They'll find new ways to be oppressed by The Cathedral despite a government tilted as far in their favor as possible.

Yeah their neuroses are only going to get worse as their expectations continue to be unmet

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

by WW2 German people were pretty much assimilated, but they had a hard time of it during WW1. they did get arrested and imprisoned, not on the level of the Japanese, but it did happen.

liberty cabbage, the precursor to freedom fries.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

A lot of Trump supporters are evangelicals who voted for him for the usual evangelical reasons too

They will vote anyone with an (R) next to their name and call anyone with a (D) the antichrist. They have literally incorporated the presidential elections in their religion. I wouldn't call them hopeless, because people lose their religion all the time, but if Prester Jane was right, the problem is that Evangelicals, through ACE and other forms of institutionalized child abuse, have turned their community into an assembly line of Evangelical crazies. Again, not hopeless, because people do escape abuse, but as long as the fresh meat outnumbers the defectors, they'll keep being a compact red block of lunacy

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I Killed GBS posted:

They're not forgotten you idiot, Obamacare provided coverage for tens of thousands of them, which they are now going to lose under Trump, and they consistently vote against their own interests over and over and over in local elections, even when given the option not to. For many of them it is a matter of spite, not desperation.

"Obamacare doubled our premiums"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Not going to THE RIGHT STUFF DOT BIZ. Who are these shitstains again?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I feel bad for Matt Forney

e: there's at least another video where he waddles away in terror at someone, isn't there?

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Nov 21, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Fututor Magnus posted:

One of the sieg-heilers supposedly wrote this blog post: [url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://colonycollapsesite.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/my-roman-salute-w-tila/.[/url] Make of it what you will.

Better copy maybe: http://archive.is/DhEoR

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Race Realists posted:

i just given up on the rest of the forums and have just gone straight up Lottery of Babylon.

its the only way i can tolerate those gloating loving morons in GBS and C-SPAM who legitimately think Progressiveism is over

there is a guy there (who shall not be named in full, i'll just say SecHum) who literally does nothing but use the EXACT same talking points White Nationalists use to dehumanize minorities :suicide:

If you see something, something. If some forums or threads seem unmoderated it's because they are, not because the rules are just for laughs

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

poptart fairy you search the forums for gamergate keywords and swoop in to carpet bomb hot takes, c/d?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

:getout:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Look, Trump supporters are incredibly sheltered and averse to debate. Like, to an unreasonable degree, excessively, fully through the looking glass. They are total contrarians in the best case, and unreachable without protective equipment. Non-Trump supporters (which Trump supporters demonize to a degree way, way beyond mean feefee-hurting words) are under no obligation to them whatsoever, they should look at their own people and their needs instead

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Donald Trump is your president-elect. 60 million (?) people voted for him. He has the finger on the button for the bomb. "You can't debate with them" is a suicidal statement. Worse, a murderous statement, cause you might end up taking the rest of the world down with you. (Us Europeans have a similar thing with anti-immigrant sentiments and the dissolution of the EU of course.)

Did you notice my use of the third person plural? I'm not American (I'm also one of the people everyone is eager to throw under the bus). But sure, go ahead and read "their" news sources. Try to reason with the people posting a Facebook status a minute and who literally talk in slogans. We've always rightly ridiculed them, but apparently now that they're on social network platforms, they're suddenly worthy of consideration

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah and being fair you have the worst of it since the 5SM are officially the biggest progenitors of fake news in Europe. Kinda hard to argue with such people in good faith.

Italy is in the interesting situation of having two distinct, competing, non-fringe populist/fake news parties, one leaning more towards "less taxes, death to gays, immigrants and bankers" (Matteo Salvini's new and improved Lega Nord), the other more "globalist elites poison us with vaccines, GMOs and chemtrails" (Movimento 5 Stelle) - other countries only seem to have one or the other. This gives me hope that they'll neutralize each other and not be able to do too much damage

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

This is one of the worst-written articles I've ever read. I also appreciate the total lack of sources for the cited facts

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I liked The Boys, for what it's worth. It's full of contradictions but it seems aware of it, starting from the premise of "the adventures of a black ops team" itself it correctly points out that black ops teams (1) sound cool in theory but in the end they just deprive regular units of their best men, and (2) inevitably get out of control and start pursuing their own agenda. And then it inevitably happens to The Boys as well

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Fututor Magnus posted:

the guy pretty clearly is not talking about money, but rather the idea that less well-to-do white men are low status as determined by the cathedral, or liberal academia or something, and that the only way to gain status is to become trans,

No he's implying it's a self destructive behavior

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Fututor Magnus posted:

these guys don't give a poo poo about self-destructive behaviour, the whole frogtwitter failson community didn't get that way by avoiding self-destructive choices.

OK, different angle: self-destructive coping behaviors to survive in SJW hell?

Fututor Magnus posted:

though if you ever spot wesley criticizing homophobia or transphobia in the alt-right, make sure to let me know.

Relevant Sam Kriss

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

TinTower posted:

I mean, fifteen years ago the Left weren't happy about re-electing the corrupt neoliberal Gaullist Jacques Chirac, but they still did it because the alternative was a literal fascist.

Fifteen years is a long rear end time. Fifteen years ago, Trump and Brexit (and probably Corbyn as well) would have been laughably unlikely. If you haven't been cured of liberalism yet, you may still be living fifteen years ago

divabot posted:

That started well but rapidly declined into a barrage of Sam Kriss.

How does something "decline" into something extremely good? :confused:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

TinTower posted:

Sam "better a thousand honest fascists than Macron" Kriss.

And I just realized you tone policed an article on tone policing

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

On the other hand, who cares about all this poo poo? The thesis is that "new atheists" are boring, pedantic, shallow and uninspiring, try to disprove that

J_RBG posted:

In my opinion Sam Kriss is fine but usually requires being conversant in literary theory.

I just enjoy knowing that there's someone else out there who, like me, likes a good lie better than the objective truth (or at least believes that good lies make for much better reading)

e: like,

oh nooo an objective untruth 😱

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Jul 26, 2017

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

thats nice dear

lie to me :wink:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Curvature of Earth posted:

(I am aware of the irony of this edit, since Sam Kriss is Jewish. But if you're defending bad-faith rhetoric as a tool, expect me to call it what it is: language deployed in bad faith.)

And not a second too late, we have bad faith rhetoric used to attack bad faith rhetoric :xd:

Nice projection but I'm just saying that I, like Sam Kriss, find good lies extremely satisfying in a way scientific fact dreams it could be. Like Sam Kriss, I also find it extremely hard to find good lies. See how weak his articles on sun gazing and flat earth are: the ideas are beautiful (earth is a flat disc suspended in the middle of the universe; the sun is far more complex and sinister than just a really bright nuclear reaction) but good material is so hard to come by. As it usually happens, the only part of the sun gazing article that I can remember is where he quotes a crazy person (Tila Tequila). Schizophrenics come up with the most incredible lies, I remember this jaw dropping rant a guy wrote in the comment section of a random webpage, where he stated as a fact that crude oil doesn't exist (it's just water and manure mixed together), that the segmentation of citrus fruits is a shattering caused by the moon's gravitational pull, that the marks on the skins of whales mirror the sky's constellations, and I forget what else (he was also a victim of a conspiracy that involved the mafia and Berlusconi)

... I have derailed for long enough I guess

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

C-

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

TinTower posted:

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

And he did imply that Marine Le Pen was a favourable choice compared to Emmanuel Macron.

Between divabot revealing a posting career in TVTropes-adjacent forums like it's no thing and this poo poo you keep repeating, I now understand this thread is about the wrong kind of pedantry/smart stupidity/autism

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Peel posted:

this thread isn't about mocking any kind of 'autism' but it is about making fun of DE and DE-adjacent doofuses rather than this derail

This thread can only do that with the most obvious doofuses. Add any degree of ambiguity and this thread behaves like a neural network trained on images of dogs

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

anyone remember those halcyon several months in the 2010s where it wasn't cool to call things "autistic"

lol I actually intentionally added back "autistic" at the last moment after deciding against it because I was like "naaah they won't be so irony-deaf to launch a passive aggressive anti-ableist witch hunt" but here we are

e: "math idiot" was considered too but it doesn't noun well

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Jul 28, 2017

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

You're trying to pull the irony defense in this of all threads?
how could I have known I accidentally wasn't being ironic but 100% spot on. "don't take things out of context to attack them in the most literal way" > proceeds to take things out of context to attack them in the most literal way, over and over and over until accidentally falling rear end backwards into moral superiority, claims victory

divabot posted:

and yet, despite my hard work in the cause, I'm still less of a horrible shithead than you. Also I know better than to read Sam Kriss.
and here another rhetoric giant folds like a card table under the slightest lack of fawning adoration. Sam Kriss must really hurt if you have gambled everything on winning through the most and best facts (alternatively). I guess the best the rest of us can hope for - should we be so lucky - is that Dark Enlightenment and internet rationalists mutually destroy each other

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Who needs giveaways? I looked at the tumblog of the guy you screenshotted and it's wall to wall "degeneracy", "civilization suicide", "immorality" etc. Like, zero ambiguity. That's a fascist and not even shy about it

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Apr 12, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Followed one of the links, my eyes started glazing over, I skip to the end and

quote:

The people working at the testing services and also the people collecting samples would have to show that their genes have a safer set of traits that makes them hard to bribe and threaten into lying.
Bam! Eugenics out of nowhere

e: do all of their writings eventually devolve into cultishness? Do these guys literally believe they're, like, the real life Encyclopedia Galactica Foundation?

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Jun 22, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

They believe that their work on friendly AI makes them the most important people in the history of the universe

It's just that I noticed a preoccupation with existential threats and how only they're the only people who can fight those, to the point that they have a shorthand for it (that they love to drop into unrelated discussions). Also if I read one more "Fermi estimator" bio I'm shooting myself in the face

e: hey look, another bizarre term, "suicide contagion". Total cult vibes

e:

quote:

I'm more concerned that she's being inappropriate by declaring she's "pretty gay" for her. This could be taken the wrong way and create various harm matrices in their social spheres. Maybe there's more going on there, i'm just seeing something potentially problematic. I hope it all works out.
:aaaaa:

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Jun 22, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

I mean, Darling in the Franxx is about

*a quick image search later*

lmao

Darth Walrus posted:

There’s a small but growing market of woke anime. The new season of Gegege no Kitarō explains

Huh, first time a search for a "no, actually it's good" anime doesn't turn up anything gross

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Aug 15, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

And yeah the government-aligned pilots are queer coded but only align themselves with the government because of extensive brainwashing. Ultimately they side with the protagonists, and if anything the show implies that queer people somehow make the best pilots

Where do the rear end handles fit in this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

cash crab posted:

like that guy who poo poo into cans and sold it,

he also blew into a balloon and sold it. and don't forget that one of the buyers attempted to make his own artistic statement by opening one of the "artist's poo poo" cans... and found another, smaller can inside

but my favorite piece of his is an upside down plinth set on the ground, declaring the entire world to be a work of art and effectively making art obsolete. piero manzoni won at art