Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kunster posted:

Part of the telling offs involved making Hydra a good guy organization, as in "Yeah we're The Nazis all but in name" org. And then having Black Widow's Roma origins whitewashed. And the whole thing with killing off the concept of Wasp and clearing up Ant Man's legacy to the point of making sure she wasn't a meaningful character.

wasp's only meaningful contribution to ant-man was the time an artist hosed up reading a script and drew hank as hitting her, thus shackling him with that poo poo for forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ArchangeI posted:

The act of thinking something progressives don't like. Calling it crimethink instantly puts the reactionary on the moral highground because he declares himself prosecuted before anything happens. It's a classic tactic. See also "99% of you won't be brave enough to share this horribly racist article on facebook!!!!!"

i thought he meant the insane punk rock anarchist idea of living via petty theft and scrounging and knowin the One Weird Tricks of the world

but on purpose

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ikanreed posted:

Hasn't a secondary point of every assassin's creed game been to place people into the moral ambiguity of the era, and actually show just a little real history?

the first four, up through revelations, were pretty solidly "assassins are the underground freedom fighters stopping the evil hitler stalin templars from world dominatino" without much ambiguity

AssCreed 3's whole Thing was "there are no good guys or bad guys, there's just people doing what they think is right, and it turns out they're all a pack of assholes, every single one of them" and that's carried forward to the point where Rogue has you playing as an assassin who defects to join the templars, and the templars you meet are fairly reasonable dudes, not mustache twirling villains, and the assassins are kind of assholes. 3 did it the most though, and it was great because ti got to play off hero-worship of the founding fathers to do it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ikanreed posted:

Right, sure, there were bad guys and they were the perfect conspirators plotting humanity's downfall, but that's not what I meant.

But I meant in the context of history, they'd drop you in the crusades with people giving context and color to how no side was innocent and no side was entirely justified. And your own assassin organization in 1 was straight up a cult.

no, the first few games are pretty black and white all the way around. you don't really get into ambiguity until 3 (which i'm replaying right now)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coyo7e posted:

the whole point of rear end creed was golden apples and aliens, when did people start trying to take it serious again :laugh:

i think its pretty cool and rad that they're going for something a little harder than just playing bash the fash with knives

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Ehhhh if you do the "the truth" stuff in AC2 it does stuff like saying that Stalin was one of the Assassins, and I think JFK as a Templar. The series, I think, has always kind of been aware that the "assassins are good guys who want freedom" thing is obviously bullshit.

i think 3 is the best one about it, becaue connor legitimately is that guy. he's an idealist, and the entire game is about his ideals butting up against reality and him becoming more and more jaded, whether its realizing that the colonists are fighting a war to be free of the king, while still owning slaves, or that the revenge he dreamed of is just an empty hollow victory, without glory or meaning, and that yeah his dad's a templar but his dad's actually a pretty okay guy, even if he did bang and run

black flag went the opposite way, with edward thinking everyone was an rear end in a top hat from the jump and just wanting to be left alone to build up his pirate paradise (which is basically the homestead from 3, but bigger) and slowly coming around to the assassins' side if only because they were the lesser of two evils

djw175 posted:

Revelations also leaned pretty heavily on "The assassins aren't really good people. They're just the weaker of the two factions vying for control." in the Desmond bits, but I don't really blame anyone for not sitting through those.

was this in those stupid platform bits or in the bits where you talk to the last subject's memories, because those platforming bits were so bad i couldn't even finish them and i generally had no problem sitting through desmond poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

djw175 posted:

Platforming bits.

well there you loving go that's the worst thing the series has ever done

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Terrible Opinions posted:

AC2 was also the one with a fairly well done low key gay romance. Sad that the sequels didn't really do anything with it.\

wasn't it something in the villa that subsequently got blown the gently caress up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm talking about Ezio and da Vinci.

I'm pretty sure you invented that

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Reminder that AC2 opens with you climbing in a girls window for forbidden nookie and you hit a button to push her dress down

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cingulate posted:

The convenient story is usually one about the conscience of a specific Soviet soldier who decides not to push the button, instead of following his murderous, inhuman orders.
The official Russian protest is the Soviet system was never so hosed up as to leave the decision of obliterating the western hemisphere to one man's decision (plus some of the then still-new computers).

on the other hand there's articles floating around about the Dead Man's Hand or whatever, the crazy "if poo poo gets super hosed" last ditch nuclear attack plan the russians have, where there's a million steps to get to it but at the end of the day it's one guy going "well the world's on fire gently caress it"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
this came up in another thread, why does popehat tolerate clarkhat's lunacy?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Silver2195 posted:

I think I remember Ken (Popehat) saying at one point that disagreeing with Clark sometimes helps him clarify his own positions.

not really a compelling reason, imho

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In the Dunwich Horror one of the things that repels the townspeople from the kid is that he's swarthy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

And Wonderwoman got tied up a lot, what's your point?

The creator of Wonder Woman is the man who invented the polygraph, his wife, and their live in lover. It was literally their sex life in comic form.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SIGSEGV posted:

Never forget RMS's best and greatest moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ
(RMS could also afford to take more showers, or indeed any at all.)

As for ESR, he's written some of the most damning stuff ever including sex tips for geeks which is hilarious.

pleasure card

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cingulate posted:

If you honestly read the pastebin as implying "Scott is arguing ... nerds are as oppressed as Black people", you are stupid.

The argument is tone deaf to the extent of bordering on the insulting of the descendants of slaves so hard that graffiti artists from insulting-land regularly create great works of art on the insulting-land-facing walls of non-insulting-land houses, but it is quite clearly not "nerds are as oppressed as Black people" or even "nerds are oppressed".

Source your quotes motherfucker

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cingulate posted:

I definitely derive more pleasure from people being extremely angry at there being a Black guy and a white evil guy and a woman who (I hope) doesn't have to be rescued, but does rescuing herself in the new Star Wars movie than I ever could from the movie itself. I really hope they make the next movie really glaringly obvious in that sense (even more than Star Wars originally was, with the all-white all-male Star Destroyer crews and the ragtag rebel group). Like, the Sith symbol looks like a swastika, the evil guys include four blonde men, the evil dark lord is a wife beater, the Jedi get a gay latino boss, Boyega kissing the Whitest woman possible on all of the movie posters and in the key scene where the film's stupid space dick explodes, and so on.

As Clarkhat says:

The future is a movie poster with a Black guy kissing a White face, forever. Metaphorically.

there's literally a scene in the new one where one of the top first empire guys gives a speech about how they're gonna blow up the republic before firing their giant system-destroying laser powered by a sun, standing in his fancy black uniform in front of a giant red banner with ranks and ranks of soldiers before him who, at the end, raise their fists in salut

i'm saying it's straight up nazi rally

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Patrick Spens posted:

You are aware that words mean things, and that Alexander isn't DE right?

I'm not going to complain about making Milo's life more difficult, but what's the point of this? If he's enough of an rear end in a top hat to ban, just ban him.

as i pointed out to someone, it took them forever to ban Chuckie C Floorshitter, and nobody liked that guy

twitter iskinda slow on the uptake sometimes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

God Bless former forums poster Boniface

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Randall Munroe should be purged just not for any of those reasons. He just sucks bad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fatherboxx posted:

The reddit mock thread here gave birth to poo poo Reddit Says and the existence of it *ahem* triggered a lot of folks on reddit and 4chan who reacted to the mocking memes and harsh moderation same way sane people react to Nat-Soc Taylor Swift twitter accounts.

Actually SRS already existed and goons just colonized it after the creator abandoned it

The person behind it just posted threads like "Reddit or stormfront " and the ilk

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"In one sense, it's clear that we do not want to live the sort of lives that are depicted in most stories that human authors have written so far. Think of the truly great stories, the ones that have become legendary for being the very best of the best of their genre: The Iliiad (sic), Romeo and Juliet, The Godfather, Watchmen, Planescape: Torment, the second season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or that ending in Tsukihime. Is there a single story on the list that isn't tragic?"

watchmen is only considered the best superhero comic by people who don't actually like superhero comics, smh yud

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cingulate posted:

Not a real gamer

Nah comics are an actual thing I spend most of my time on in some fashion, and the people who think Watchmen is the best superhero comic are the people who don't read comic books they read Graphic Novels

It's good, but it's not the best

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Patrick Spens posted:

Sort of? They are pretty explicitly aimed at middle school/high school age kids. Think of they like a mix of YA fiction and comic books. They aren't all as japan as big yud is presenting here. The novel *Edge of Tomorrow* is based off of is perfectly respectable pulp action.

That novel is also called All You Need is Kill which is the BEST title

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doc Hawkins posted:

I think you are a cool guy who posts good, but this sounds like a WWE fan talking poo poo about people who follow the Olympics.

I'm saying that there is no actual fundamental difference between the two things except if you want to feel like you're better than those fuckin plebes. I read all kinds of poo poo, comics are My Thing in a lot of ways and have been for well over half my life, to the point where I almost pursued a lit degree so that I could maybe find a way to teach about them, and people who say "I don't read comic books I only like Alan Moore et al" are assholes who have never engaged with the medium in a meaningful way

It's the same as the (thankfully increasingly rare) assholes who say "I don't watch movies I watch FILMS" like using the grown up word means you're better than other people

Cingulate posted:

I get the point, but I doubt Yud is big on cultural relativism.
To the extent that he's aware of the topic, he probably files it in the same folder as Cultural Marxism.
Adam Cadre, who most definitely is a Real GamerComic Book Reader, disagrees: http://adamcadre.ac/calendar/11/11670.html
No it's pretty bad

Man you keep saying that like its a thing I'm saying but it's still not and also I don't know who this random guy with a website straight out of 2002 is or why I should care about his opinion

Also note I never said it was bad, just that people who think it's the end all be all of superhero comics are kinda fuckin wrong and also it kinda ruined superhero comics for thirty years and counting, that and Dark Knight Returns which is as important in terms of history and impact and making a statement on the nature of comic books but it's about Batman so it's poo poo (also it's actually poo poo and I hate it)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cingulate posted:

I agree. Fuckin' casuals.
Haha, does "off the reservation" have a particular meaning in Racist Dork land?

Also "The red pill is the alt right’s killer app"

Wow it's crazy that you say that because I sure as hell didn't

Double ironic because I'm literally grumping about people having a false sense of superiority at the same time you claim that I'm looking down my nose at people for not devoting their lives to this hobby

Fun fact I recommend people run far away from this hobby because either you're going to be disgusted and run away anyway or fall in love and have your heart broken every week, nobody should read comics

Also I still don't know what you were trying to prove with that link. Some guy I've never heard of disagrees with me? Okay cool that's never happened before

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

What's the best superhero comic? Final Crisis?

While I prefer Morrison to Moore in general, FC is a loving mess

I would have a hard time picking one best superhero comic because there's so many reasons to give it to one. Like, Action Comics #1 created the template that's still in use today, but Fantastic Four #1 shattered that template and gave birth to a whole new style, and Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen both were a major influence on comics pretty much from the minute they hit and continue to be today. poo poo I've argued for Ninja Turtles #1 before for being the spark that set off the indie boom that lead to Image being a thing. I mean, I know what my personal favorites are (All-Star Superman is on there, for sure, with the issue of Spider-Man where he lifts an entire building off himself) but I wouldn't want to even think about calling something the best

Whoa look at that nuanced answer that you weren't expecting when you made your pissy one liner almost like this is a thing I've thought about because comics are just what I do

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Peztopiary posted:

You're wrong about it and DKR ruining comics, but that's a fight for another thread I guess.

Jim's Blog is just strange. I appreciate that it's the full panoply of the alt-Right. You've got white nationalists, you've got gay MRAs, you've got a guy who believes in Jewish theocracy. The only people they hate more than each other is every single person one inch to the left of them. They're so cheerful about how they're going to murder one another after they get done with the rest of us.

DC has spent thirty years chaining itslef to a book that sprang from the realization that Batman is never actually allowed to change and continues to gently caress up what makes a book Mature and For Adults to this day (hint it's not people losing arms and titties everywhere) to the point where they keep loving asking Miller to do sequels when both of the ones we have so far are about how stupid DC is for chaining itslef to DKR

You'd lose that fight is what I'm sayin

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

Ahahah awesome.

The lead up to "you're stronger than you think you are" is literally what I use to explain why I fuckin love Superman even though I hate his comics for the most part to customers at the shop I work at

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Count Chocula posted:

rear end is the only Superman comic you need to read, but I'm a Morrison fanboy.

Nah you definitely should read Silver Age superman, after they sued Captain Marvel out of existence and then hired the guy who was writing him to write Superman, whose name is escaping me right now. Morrison pulls from those stories a lot in rear end much like he pulls from Silver Age Batman stories for his Batman run

Edit it was Otto Binder and they basically asked him to do all the things he did with Captain Marvel, mostly the creation of a "family", but with Superman instead of not-Superman

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cingulate posted:

What's with you and final periods?

Also lol @ cartoons

I'm posting from my phone, which is also the only reason you're getting caps

Also you're literally the jackass I was talking about when this all started, kudos

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

divabot posted:

dear god shut up about your western comics, only manga is on topic for this thread and then only if it's been made into an anime with technologically advanced reactionary hordes and of course underage girls masturbating in detail written in the style of the Sequences

Actually you know what One Punch Man is the best superhero comic

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Stop trolling

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I would like to read a book about light being an alien invader from another universe.

i want to read a book that unexpectedly ends at htat point and leaves me to figure out where the author made the jump

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
He's a white nationalist

On paper

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Woolie Wool posted:

Maybe we need an ad like happyelf's that adds him to your ignore list when you click it.

Who? Oh you mean hpayplef

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Woolie Wool posted:

D&D shitposter who made Effectronica look like a reasonable and pleasant person. The :happyelf: smiley exists in his dishonor.

I know who he is, it was a joke about his inability to spell

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

divabot posted:

Sandifer book update: he's finished the first draft, with six thousand words on William Blake, setting out in detail how Blake refuted all these NRx fools' claims before they made them - particularly apposite since if they're so drat proud of their knowledge of dusty tomes they drat well should have known their Blake already.

Also actually finds nice things to say about Yudkowsky's Red Tidday UP which is a critical feat of some magnitude.

So the 50k braindump is done, now to edit. I expect it will grow in the editing.

Title will be Neoreaction A Basilisk - I don't like the title, but he thinks it'll get the Amazon searchers so ehh whatever works.

No ETA as yet - he's going to get a structure down for a larger work on Blake, then get back to this.

so what's this red tidday up thing people keep mentioning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

According to Wikipedia: Michael Vassar (previously the president of MIRI, Yudkowsky's amazingly unproductive AI think tank), Jaan Tallinn (previously helped develop Skype and Kazaa), and Zvi Mowshowitz (previously a professional Magic: The Gathering player, yes really). Funded by Peter Thiel, of course.

Zvi's take on why nobody wanted what they were selling is a think to behold. The problem, as he saw it, was that everyone else was too irrational and signaling-obsessed to understand that they ought to pay large sums of money for Metamed's advice.

Aww man Zvi...