Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Just in case anyone isn't aware, there's a pretty well known book mocking a dude exactly like this. A fat manchild in his 30s lives with his mother and spends all his time reading medieval Catholic theology, which he considers innately superior to degenerate modern pop culture and normal people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederacy_of_Dunces

It was written in 1980, so I'd say it's pretty prescient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

That Iron Pill bullshit resonates at exactly the right frequency of "idiot shutin fascist" that I know it can't possibly be serious and yet still get too angry reading it to finish it.

Congratulations, Internet, you found something I can't just laugh at.

Silver2195 posted:

I can't tell what the intended level of irony of this comic is.

this is your daily reminder that self-awareness is not the same thing as self-criticism

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Dec 10, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

the whole anime alt-right thing is funny to me because anime fandom in the US is actually basically the youngest, least white, least male nerd fandom. there's a reason Steven Universe is the first high profile animated show by a female creator and is also anime as gently caress, and it isn't that white male STEMlords-turned-wannabe Catholic theologians like anime. people of all political leanings seem to like to ascribe 'likes anime' as one of the primary character traits of their enemies

that's without even touching the whole 'Japan is an island full of subhuman neonazis' thing, because that derail will be even shittier than this one

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Yes the grimdark edgy show about little girls turning into monsters because aliens harvest their emotional energy is totally One Of The Good Ones

correct

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 09:05 on Oct 19, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

People complaining about it are bringing politics into games, which, as we all know from the righteous takedowns of the feminist shrew Anita Sarkeesian by the heroes of Gamergate, is always bad. Therefore, the #BoycottAssassinsCreed movement is aGG.

both the left and right wing of the Great Nerd Political Slapfight seem horrified that politics of all things could creep into something as innocent as their precious nerd hobbies. the joke's on them though, because everything is political and always has been. welcome to hell

people do this in actual politics too though. the word 'ideologue' was literally coined by napoleon to paint his leftist political rivals as being closed-minded fanatics, unlike he himself, the calm, rational, clear-sighted leader. it's worked for 200 years, no reason for the GG people not to use it

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Oct 28, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

one of the most influential currents in the development of liberalism as an ideology was the feudal nobility insisting on their political rights in opposition to a centralizing absolute monarchy (Marx was wrong, kiddos), so it makes sense that libertarians want to go back to feudalism

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Oct 28, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DStecks posted:

The central concept of Assassin's Creed, if you really want to get into it, is that all ideologies are secretly bullshit used by people in power to justify their power. Like, from their very inception, every single one of them. Which, really, is a Glibertarian take on history. It started out as outright Marxist, in the true sense of the word, when it was about the Assassins fighting for freedom from Templar world-domination; but eventually they decided that actually having good guys and bad guys was too political, so you get the Glibertarian ultra-cynicism of the latter games. It's the kind of bullshit moral equivocation that only the truly privileged can write. See also: Bioshock Infinite.

Yeah, it's basically peak "Aren't you glad we aren't affected by ideology, unlike those Europeans with all their horrible isms?" upper/middle class nerdy white male tech-libertarianism or neoliberalism

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Oct 28, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DStecks posted:

Eh, this stuff isn't just the domain of the upper-middle class nerds. Most of the glibertarians I know are lower-middle class factory workers.

In my experience that's a phenomenon of careful messaging by the political right and is more self-consciously ideological than the tech nerd's complete and genuine political naivete and bafflement at why anyone would have different opinions or a different worldview than himself. I think the ideological self-consciousness is a big factor here. Most movement conservative, Limbaugh-listener types I know would readily admit to being ideologues on crusade, whereas the tech nerd would not

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Oct 28, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

AC2 was also the one with a fairly well done low key gay romance. Sad that the sequels didn't really do anything with it.

Also weren't a truly staggering number of political terms, particularly those used for neo-reactionaries coined during the French Revolution? Wasn't reactionary itself a word from then?

the French Revolution is basically the beginning of political thought in its modern form and marked the beginning of both the far left and far right as self-conscious ideologies, yes

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i want to play a django unchained game where you are encouraged to kill as many white people as possible

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

Marxism very precisely is cynical in this sense; it's just that the actors who create ideology to justify their raw power aspirations are classes, rather than individuals.

I think the subconscious nature of it is important though, you can analyze it as existing to protect privilege, but the people who subscribe to the naive soft-libertarianism of upper middle class white males aren't aware of it, and that's what gives it so much of its power

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Oct 28, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DStecks posted:

You can be European without being part of the group called "white". It's called being a Latino. Or travel back in time a few decades and it's called being Jewish. A bit further, being Irish. Ideas of who and what constitutes a race of people fluctuate fast. Racism isn't some indestructable problem of human nature, it's a part of our culture, and a recent one at that.

lots of latinos, even most depending on the specific country of origin, are white

most argentinians and brazilians are primarily or entirely european in genetic background

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

Nobody "helped" the Japanese, they saw what Europeans were doing in the western Pacific and decided they could get in on the action by building a modern imperial state on a European template. What they didn't realize was that the Europeans would never give them a seat among the world powers, and this conflict between Japan wanting to muscle into the Western imperial club and white countries working together to shut Japan out ultimately led to Japan joining the Axis (I don't believe for a second that Germany wouldn't have stabbed Japan in the back at its earliest convenience if alien space bats gave them the ability to win WWII) and Pacific theater of World War II.

They did get a seat at the world power table though, they earned it by stomping the Russians in 1905. Cue quotes form Teddy Roosevelt about how the Japanese are the only non-white nation to 'get' Western Civilization, etc

The justification of "we're persecuted by the Western Powers" used by Imperial Japan was always bullshit, Japan was as much a Great Power as Germany or France or Britain or Russia ever were, and once Japan demonstrated its economic and military might it was accepted into the club and allowed to participate as a full member in the dismemberment of China. Of course, most of the world was already colonized at that point, so they were locked out of SE Asia, but you might as well say that Imperial Germany was persecuted with the same reasoning

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Oct 30, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Whiteness was so central to the global zeitgeist, that many black activists openly supported the Japanese Empire because they saw the success of Imperial Japan as a real world example which invalidated White Supremacy.

This is true to an extent, but it's important to note that the Japanese did not see themselves in opposition to the white Western European countries. Rather, the whole point of Imperial Japan was that it had reformed itself politically and economically to the standards of Western Europe, and thus deserved the same status as one of / part of the superior civilization, along with the attendant rights to colonize inferior nations like the Koreans or Chinese.

Basically they looked at White Supremacy, and said "that's a pretty sweet deal, let's get in on that" They weren't opposed to it, they embraced it. I think it's fair to disqualify them from claims of being victimized by the same system they embraced

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Oct 30, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

The focus on white racism is because most posters on SA are in the west and white racism either affects them the most or is the most visible form of racism in their community

You moron.

sure but then you get the guy doing Imperial Japan apologia and that argument sort of falls apart

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

But what about say F Scott Fitzgerald, who refers to a dead black man as "friend of the family scrap" in Tender Is The Night (not to mention the antisemitism that is all over the place in Great Gatsby)? Or what about all the homophobia in On The Road? Or the racist poem in Grapes of Wrath? It's just really strange to me that "Lovecraft was a racist" has so often become just a way to completely dismiss the man and his works.

nerds don't read Fitzgerald, they read Lovecraft. if you want to criticize nerds talking about Fitzgerald is pointless

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nessus posted:

I think a lot of fans of a thing run into similar negative critiques over and over, which can cause them to get mad - not at the critique's validity but because this is the fiftieth time someone's said "If you think about it, isn't Lord of the Rings all about racial purity?" A fresher example would probably be over in the Star Wars thread where periodically people talk about aspects of the prequel films and this gets a lot of "uh those movies are just completely wretched; have you watched the Red Letter Media reviews?"

It isn't that these criticisms are wrong, so much as that (from the perspective of the fans of whatever) they repeat a lot. This is part of why FAQs developed in Usenet I imagine, above and beyond the general "nerds are cranky lore keepers".

i can 100% attest to this being a thing. one side effect of immersing yourself in a particular niche is magnifying the apparent size of opposition to that niche

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

massive spider posted:

That article has lot of build up to a disappointing conclusion "its because people who have anime avatars probably spend too much time on the internet"

It's not wrong. Nerds like anime, and neo-fascist losers are nerds, therefore neofascists have anime avatars. Just like LF Maoists, as the article points out

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cingulate posted:

I assume anime in general is also a fairly reactionary genre?
Just guessing here, I don't watch cartoons.

anime reflects Japanese society at large, so i would say it's right wing but not to an extreme degree and not in a way that directly corresponds to the style of reddit right-libertarian we're talking about here. ironically enough it's also much more gender-egalitarian than american nerd media, there's lots and lots of anime poo poo for a female audience, most of it basically trashy romance novel comics, and it's fully integrated into the medium as a whole. of course that also has its own issues with being rapey Twilight-style and fetishizing the gays for the titillation of the female audience, but i think it counts for something. and attitudes towards homosexuality in general are surprisingly progressive at least compared to the fundie Christian 'gays are subhuman and should be stoned', even if not perfect, like the fetishization stuff mentioned above.

bottom line is i don't think it's fair or accurate to say anime is particularly right wing, at least not compared to Japan in general. IMO American nerd media is actually noticeably more right wing compared to American society at large than anime stuff is compared to Japan, to the point where American nerd stuff ends up being almost as lovely or as lovely as anime stuff, even with Japan being a right wing shithole

and yeah the kind of anime the neoreactionary types stereotypically latch on to is the kind which infantilizes women into being perfect doting innocent waifus for the enjoyment of the male audience

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Nov 9, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

yeah, the antiwar screed in which the evil militaristic empire commits brutal reprisals against civilians in a guerrilla war is basically a stock plot in anime

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

also the actual answer for why the far-right likes other cultures is because it believes in a culture war might makes right sort of social darwinism. there's no contradiction in Hitler praising the Japanese because the Nazi worldview considered different cultures to be fighting to the death for supremacy. the Germans must defeat the Slavs to triumph just like the Japanese must defeat the Chinese. and at that point in time the Japanese were pretty successful in stomping their East Asian neighbors, so in Hitler's opinion, good for them.

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

They are a step below genre fiction in literacy-space, but a step above genre comics.

lol no. and i say that as an anime liker