Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

You have 31 pages of posts in this thread, how do you not know who LoB is.

I'm talking rhetorically to the person LoB is currently channeling through the aether

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I know. I prefer not to phrase it that way, either, because like you—like everybody who matters—I think males with late-onset gender dysphoria should have a respected place in Society to pursue their dream if that's what makes them happy.

But if you ignore the derogatory style of that way of phrasing it and just ask about the predictions made by the mental model that generated the derogatory phrasing, 'men who think they're women are delusional perverts' is the correct theory! If really smart people who are really good at philosophy can't get this really easy question right because saying the right answer out loud in clear language makes us look bad—what are we good for? Why should people who aren't already ideologically allied with us care?

I don't think this person actually follows modern philosophy at all because it's probably one of the few branches of academia that's totally full of right-wingers who won't hesitate to say ignorant bullshit like that.

Also I don't think he, y'know, knows what half of those words mean either

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Goon Danton posted:

If you join up with the right on the internet, you'll steadily close yourself off from people who think open racial slurs are bad, and steadily get used to hearing them. It was just a matter of time.

Yeah 4chan is a hell of a drug

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How could someone possibly hate burritos, they're a universal food like pizza :psyduck:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

For whatever reason whenever I see HBD I almost always forget what it means and my mind just makes up a meaning, this time I read it as "Huge Big-ol' Dongs"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

Does crazy rear end Christina Hoff Sommers count because she decided to branch out from 'feminism is actually evil and I'm a woman professor so I know' to some hilarious 'yea man the baby boomers are cool you millennial sjws need to loosen up like us babes' thing.

That woman has the most bizarrely distorted image of millennials I've seen yet :psyduck:

Like she's got the conservative line of "they don't let me use slurs!!" down but somehow missed the whole "they're turning your children into sex-crazed genderfluid otherkin who are addicted to estrogen pills!!!!" part

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Semi-related:

https://twitter.com/SophistCretin/status/966142126919684096

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Antinatalism goes beyond "I don't want to have kids" to "Nobody should have kids."

I mean, overpopulation is a concern but I don't think crusading to lower the birth rate to 0 is the answer.

And then it generally goes beyond that to "feeling smugly superior to others for not having kids when they do" and "referring to children as 'crotchspawn' because you're so edgy"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Yeah. If you haven't seen the film (Soylent Green in case it wasn't clear) you really should. It's got a bit of 70s corniness (and of course the "twist" has been spoiled a million times over) but overall it holds up very well. It portrays a late-capitalist hell-hole where global warming has destroyed the environment to the point where the biggest source of food is plankton harvested from the sea and a few ounces of beef is an unimaginable luxury, and the 0.1% perpetuate a global conspiracy to retain their hold on society even if it means literally killing all life on the planet. Keep in mind this film was from the 70s! It also has one of the best-portrayed death scenes in movie history (the actor whose character was dying was himself dying IRL of cancer and Charlton Heston knew so he was barely acting).

Not only was he barely acting, everyone on the set that day apparently cried because it was so real

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Was he always this bad? I seem to remember him being a perfectly fine TV Science Guy a few years ago, did that just go to his head or something?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just liked when he was the pig on Gravity Falls :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

Wait what? Neil deGrasse Tyson is Wattles?

*mind blown*

He was in one episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YIcH2vzGMQ

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That opener is really not making me want to click through to read the other 80 tweets

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh no thanks to this I found out Steven Hawking died from Matt Forney :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

I'm... I'm not seeing the downside here.

EDIT: Like, does he think that the women wanting to usurp men would suddenly pause and be like, "Hm, well, we wanted to be in power, but that's a bridge too far!"

I'm trying and failing to interpret that tweet in any way other than "I'm jerking off to femdom and thought you all should share in the moment"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh no sexy tall amazonian women, please don't enslave us poor men and definitely don't tie our balls up and hit them with a rubber mallet for each thing we do wrong, just think of how, uh, inconvenient that would be for you!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ol qwerty bastard posted:

One notes that Microsoft and Google (and almost certainly others as well) have had, for quite some time now, AI systems that help write new AI systems. And while the output frequently is more optimized than what a human could design on their own, if there's been an "intelligence explosion" it's been kept remarkably quiet.

The optimization amounts I've seen are like, a whopping 10 to 20%, at which point the system hits one of a possibly infinite number of false local minimas and someone has to go in and jostle it around a bit. But that magically exponentially increasing intelligence is right around the corner I'm sure :thumbsup:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker: being dumb twice as fast

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also divabot that'd be a great name for your book. Hell either book, it works for describing bitcoin cash too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Go on, compare them, I'll wait :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like that between these two tweets Rev mocked someone not using incel to describe incels and then did exactly that but stronger with significantly harsher vocabulary

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

Grimes is cool and if she's actually dating Elon Musk I hope she gets a few million out of him before she bounces

You mean before he uses her as a baby factory then divorces her immediately after he was done exploiting her body like he did his first wife right

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/maeve_mcdermott/status/993643404671234048

What a great couple

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Those pants just look annoying, like they'd catch on loving everything I bet

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's not like the DE has an agreed upon end goal either. They'll purge one another as soon as they're done with everyone else.

I think the agreed upon goal of the DE is to find the point that's considered "most edgy" by the most people and do that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think Peterson might be one of those guys from Star Trek Insurrection who has to periodically replace their face flesh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

The idea that artificial systems are going to follow the evolutionary curve that humans did seems poorly grounded at best. They’re hardly unguided, and there’s a difference between the structure (hyperparameters) and training (weights).

Yeah I think that's kinda the point being made though, all these MIRI folks are simplifying it down to "what if a computer could evolve by itself and then do it really fast"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Caveatimperator posted:

This comes back to a recurring theme with the right's inability to understand the left.

The left is fragmented for many reasons, and one of those reasons is very justified; the issues that different left wingers care about are not necessarily related to each other. Crunchy naturalistic hippies are often critical of capitalism, but that doesn't mean they're communists or that they agree with communists. Same with the neoliberals who often lean left on social issues but are sympathetic to capitalism. And the anarchists who are also critical of capitalism but reject the top-down approach of communists and some environmentalists. And on and on.

In principle, the right wing ought to be the same. Religious conservatives should not necessarily be fascist sympathizers, and the fascist sympathizers should not necessarily be the same as the survivalists and militiamen. But in the US, and often elsewhere, culture and media have brought those groups together. So the right sees those different ideas, observes that right wingers often belong to all of those groups, and assumes the left operates the same way.

How does this relate to pit bulls? Pit bull awareness activism occasionally touches on some left wing issues. The biggest one I can think of is tenant rights. A lot of landlords have special rules barring tenants from owning pit bulls. And the general animal sympathy sometimes crosses over with environmentalism. Beyond that, it's a very localized issue. Pit bull sympathizers are not necessarily involved in other types of political activism. gently caress, you could make a right-wing argument for allowing people to own pit bulls just as well. Libertarianism's live-and-let-live philosophy is perfectly compatible with letting people own the dogs they want.

I think this idiot is so caught up in his own contrarianism that he assumes pit bull advocates are leftists solely because they disagree with him, and not based on any real principles.

I mean there is a good case to be made of "pit bull activists" being on the left mostly, because there's a few extra weird layers of racism on top of pit bull hatred - they're perceived as the black people dogs and therefore more prone to violence, unlike the glorious aryan german shepherds who wouldn't hurt a fly and are just used as police dogs because they're Very Good Boys

However this doesn't really... show up very often, and is definitely not a major issue for 99.5% of the left, so my guess is Nick Land read some tumblr where someone complained about this and decided it's what everyone left of Reagan must be rabidly foaming mad about because his entire existence is pathetically online

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Caveatimperator posted:

I've never heard of this before. Is it a regional stereotype from where you live? I live in Los Angeles, and pits are perceived as macho people dogs first and macho Latino people dogs second, if at all.

Florida, and it's definitely a perception across most of the south as far as I can tell :shrug:

Like I've heard them called stuff like "n-er dogs" several times, it's real lovely

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

This is literally just the plot of the hentai he's beaten off to every night for the last six years isn't it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

prisoner of waffles posted:

I get the sense that his capacity for cruelty has been realized in ways beyond the consumption of media and the writing of rants and screeds. Read the article if you care.

Oh totally, I'm just saying the whole thing sounds like he's so absorbed in his own fetishes that he can't possibly view the world through any lens other than that. Like you can just tell that he's the kind of person who refers to real life children as "lolis" :barf:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like he's so loving divorced from reality that this makes sense to him:

quote:

When asked what his constituents would think about his pedophiliac writings, he said, “People are open-minded.”

This is what 4chan does to your brain

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So basically Bender

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It took me a while to realize we weren't talking about Electronic Arts.

...mostly because I don't doubt for a second that Electronic Arts is rampant with sexual harassment.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Syd Midnight posted:

My gut feeling is that they're just avoiding charity by making the problem needlessly complex. Like there's a chore to do, but they sit around daydreaming about innovative new methods and most efficient routes for achieving maximal results until someone else does it for them. This can backfire if it's something you personally need done like paying bills or taking out the garbage, but if it's something that someone else needs then logically its the belief that you're helping that benefits you the most. It's a galaxy brain version of Thoughts and Prayers.

Or just imagine you're a parent and they're a kid trying to avoid chores, and didn't mow the lawn because they spent all day thinking about better way to do it and decided it would be best if you bought some goats to eat the grass instead.

There's an episode of the old Dilbert cartoon where Dilbert reasons his way to the conclusion that all charity is pointless unless you're giving literally 100% of your money directly to poor people in the third world by hand yourself, it's pretty much that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pidan posted:

So, the AI tells me it will torture a million simulations of me if I don't do what it wants. How should that convince me? If I'm one of the simulations that will be tortured, the matter is out of my hands because the AI will torture or not torture me based on what the original me did. If I'm the original, the AI won't be able to torture me regardless of what I do.

Am I missing something?

You're missing a whole bunch of dumb baseless assumptions it's built on like "you can't tell the difference between real you and simulation you" and "you should care about what happens to simulation you because you could be them and robot devil could walk in the door at any minute and be all 'surprise!'" and most of all "robot devil knows you think this way, so it knows that doing all this will work on you"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SolTerrasa posted:

Sort of, but the thing you're missing is stupid.

A baseline premise here is that you should treat a perfect simulation of yourself as morally equivalent to you. So preventing torture of your simulated self is morally equivalent to preventing real torture. Since you're supposed to care about that, and since the simulations are perfect, real you is capable of controlling what simulated you does (if you donate to MIRI, so will your simulation). Therefore real you is supposed to donate to MIRI because it will save a million simulations from robot hell.

Not just a million simulations, infinity many simulations because there's infinity many alternate universes all with the robot devil so the chance of this happening to you (and not only that but happening infinitely many times) is 100%, and you should care about what happens to alternate universe you for... reasons i guess?

We have a bit of a meme going in the bitcoin mock thread that applies here as well, where when you try to explain ~blockchain~ to someone they invariably respond with "that sounds too dumb to be true, you must be explaining it wrong."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

maswastaken posted:

There's a 100% chance that one of the alternate universe mes will donate to the cause with sufficient generosity to save me.

Yeah that's basically Roko's proposed solution too, buy a lottery ticket and in some alternate universe you win and donate all the money.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pidan posted:

If I'm a simulation it doesn't matter what I do

If I'm the original, the best way to prevent people getting tortured is to not help the AI

If you're a simulation it matters what you do because if you behave badly robot devil will come through the door at any moment and start the eternal torture, which he wouldn't do if you donated (as the simulation or as yourself). If you're the original and do nothing while knowing that the AI will torture you for doing nothing you will for sure be tortured.

If you're starting to think "wait this just breaks down to pascal's wager with a bunch of stupid unnecessary abstraction" then congratulations, you get Roko's basilisk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

One of the things to keep in mind is this is the good outcome, this is what happens when we get the benevolent AI, and the AI is doing all this torturing specifically because (using incredibly naive idiot utilitarianism) threatening you with torture infinitely many times is less bad than you not donating and therefore delaying the arrival of the benevolent AI god who will solve all the other pain and death in the universe.

Robot devil hurts you because it loves you and wants the best for humanity.