Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Slime posted:

It's honestly kind of amazing. People who claim to be rationalists and tend to be comprised mostly of atheists (because atheists are SMART guys, they like SCIENCE) managed to make their own loving religion about a robogod complete with a digital hell.

loving idiots

I think someone up thread a bit pointed out how the rationalist mindset leaves them with absolutely no loving coping mechanisms because they think they've outsmarted silly emotions or w/e, so when poo poo like this comes along they have absolutely no immune response to it. When the basilisk was first posted it gave some people no-poo poo mental breakdowns because it seemed so loving real to them, because their pure and holy logic apparently created it so it must be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

That's stupid, if The Lord, AI, holds all the cards, why would it accept not to make the acausal trade?

Because it only exists in their heads, and therefore can only do exactly what they think it does :ssh:

SIGSEGV posted:

Also, I can't help but notice how cryonics is all about trying to get a well preserved (fat chance) brain to the future. A well preserved and also superlatively dead brain that will contain the perfect information to rebuild someone who is already extremely dead. And with a large part of their hormonal system missing.

There was an unfortunately uncritical interview with some cryonics company on the BBC this morning. The CEO did a lot of handwaving and spent fully half the interview off on this weird tangent about Nietzsche, but my favorite part was his job title: "applied futurist" :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

divabot posted:

It may be relevant to note how many of these people are dysphoric about actually having a body. At all.

I don't have any numbers, but I've heard of transhumanists who realise they're the other trans too, and suddenly don't have such a craving to become a disembodied emulation. YMMV.

Literally all of the transhumanists I know of that aren't awful shitbags are transwomen who just want a dang sexy girl robot body already

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Didn't they explicitly disavow one of those guys for slurs like a week ago?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

We are not even *remotely* sure that an extremely-frozen brain contains all the information needed to reconstruct it in a functioning, equivalent-to-original form.

Due to ice crystal formation frozen brains are more fragmented and broken than mummified corpses, so we'll be able to bring mummies back to life before cryonics works

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pidan posted:

I don't get why some people are so obsessed with copying and preserving their brain state. They'll still be dead! And it's really unlikely that some 2018 rationalist's brain contains just the information the future needs for something important.

If you want to be immortal, just study one of the religious or philosophical schools that offer this possibility. You'll be able to rationalize it if you really want to. Science won't do it anytime soon.

Don't worry they thought of this. See, you just memorize the answer to some puzzling riddle, or the secret map to get to a bunch of buried treasure, and let everyone know that you know it and you'll tell whoever revives you so they have incentive to thaw you out!

Ignore that if we have the technology to do that we'd probably have the technology to just read your brain and take the information directly, that's cheating :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Commissar Kayla posted:

I saw a post from a Jewish friend that said that being Jewish was a lot like constantly trying to rules-lawyer God. "But if you see here, I can symbolically declare this chunk of Manhattan a 'house' using an unbroken symbolic 'wall' for the purposes of maintaining the Sabbath, and then I can go outside and do some things while not technically violating the rules."

Yeah I've heard the same thing, but also that God really likes it when you do that and rewards your cleverness.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pitch posted:

Real question: why does the basilisk even need to be so complicated as to involve :airquote: "timeless decision theory" etc?

I may or may not be a perfectly simulated consciousness running on a quantum hypercomputer in the distant future, and according to their scifi novel reasoning I almost certainly am since simulations outnumber reality. If I'm a simulation and I displease the computer, it will punish me harshly. Ergo, if I believe in this garbage, I should act in the computer's interests to avoid real punishment visited on myself immediately. Why do I need to care about whether other incarnations of myself are tortured? Is it just tied up in the mangled game theory of why the computer must and will follow through on its threats even though I'm long dead and I imagined those threats in the first place?

Because they need a reason why the incredibly unlikely ridiculously stupid preconditions for god-AI to be real and to do the exact things they want it to will happen with 100% certainty

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

Because they need a reason why the incredibly unlikely ridiculously stupid preconditions for god-AI to be real and to do the exact things they want it to will happen with 100% certainty

Alternatively, have you ever met someone where the minute they learn about something new they try to work it in everywhere, even places where it doesn't fit? That.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SerialKilldeer posted:

How do they even know that the aliens running the simulation are interested in what Earth people consider "great influencers"? Maybe there's a much more interesting civilization in another galaxy and they hardly pay attention to our planet. Or they're actually really fascinated with ants or volcanoes or weather patterns on Jupiter or something, and humans just sort of turned up as a side effect of simulating that.

Like the way quantum mechanics works you'd basically need a "quantum computer" (used loosely here to mean something that can store quantum information, regardless of the form it actually takes) as big as or larger than whatever volume you're trying to "simulate" because even empty space has quantum information you need to keep track of. So to simulate humanity you'd need to simulate at least a volume as large as the solar system and probably something as large as the observable universe, because stuff out there can become entangled with stuff here, at which point why are you "simulating" it just create yourself an actual universe since you're clearly a god-level being

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the people who think we're living in a simulation are also the exact sort of people who don't get out much and interact in person, or who are otherwise isolated from society.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

stab stabby posted:

Wait, can someone explain this to me? Is this just... doing something that might help out someone and hoping that person reciprocates? :psyduck:

It's bargaining with magic future AI that doesn't exist yet and may not actually exist ever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah I've never bought any "continuity of consciousness" arguments because I lose consciousness every single night and for all I know every following day I've died and been replaced by a clone and somehow I manage to not notice or give a gently caress

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

That's true, but I was talking about going to sleep, your brain doesn't freeze, it does weird poo poo that we don't understand yet, not like we really understand it the rest of the time.

Yeah I used sleep because it's easily relatable for most people since everyone has interruptions in their consciousness every day and they don't notice. If you want you can swap out "sleep" for "in a deep coma with no EEG activity" which some people have survived before without somehow becoming a new person. Mostly I was trying to show:

eschaton posted:

The point is that the assumption that “you” are a continuous presence in the world isn’t as well founded as one might think. There’s a lot of belief in it but not a lot of evidence for it. It could in fact just be a useful delusion.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

That's a point I can accept, I was being kind of stupid because the cryonics people really annoy me with their belief that they don't lose important information with their little trick.

Oh yeah nah I fully expect that if we ever figure out how to thaw out someone frozen with modern or near-future cryonics they'd be at best a vegetable no matter how good nanobots or w/e get

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

Someone is very very mad at a show for having a lesbian couple where one is a stay at home wife.

A show he's apparently seen every episode of, despite hating.

It also sure sounds like he personally relates to the big titty dragon ladies a whole bunch which is hilarious

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I also love the single comment:

quote:

I found your blog cause a screenshot of this post is making the rounds online. Kobayashi’s father is an evil agent of chaos bent on causing havoic and destruction in the realm (possibly Hell) the dragons come from and his sect spends all its time fighting the law and justice dragons like Unicorn Butt Girl, so Kobayashi choosing to become a neutered domesticated lesbian is probably a small step in the right direction, or at least a lesser evil. The feminized neutered gamer dragon also used to be an evil homicidal maniac from the same chaos sect and Kobayashi even makes repeated jokes about hating God and Jesus. I see what you’re getting at but I think it’s a bigger shame Unicorn Butt Girl traded upholding justice and righteousness for being a wageslave than that the actually Satanic dragons traded violence for lust and sloth.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

They were a favorite of the brony mock thread back in the day. They ran a blog where they insisted that the lessons MLP was trying to teach little girls was that racial purity and fascism were cool and great, and claimed that they didn't really know anything about nationalism until MLP "convinced" them of it and taught them how great it is.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

There are actually a lot of nationalist and right wing anime. They're all just very bad and usually unpopular. So no one cares about them.

Like that one where military hardware is anthropomorphized as schoolgirls. No the other one. No not that one either, that one.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also when you pilot the giant robots you do it by mounting a lady doggy style and using some handlebars attached to her back.

I feel like we're kinda glossing over this very important piece of information.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Is this just Pacific Rim?

lol

chitoryu12 posted:

The plot synopsis and setting sound literally identical to Pacific Rim with added anime weirdness.

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Buddy have I got a big surprise for you about the origin of Pacific Rim

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

If anyone doesn't know Del Toro wanted to make a live action Evangelion movie but talks fell through about the licensing so he changed the story just enough so he could still make it and bam, Pacific Rim.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

The original Night of the Living Dead wasn't really metaphorical for anything; Romero just wanted to make a horror movie inspired by I Am Legend without totally ripping it off by using vampires. A lot of people took the scene with Ben being killed by zombie hunters at the end as a commentary on racism, but Ben was originally cast as a white truck driver and ended up with a black actor based on the strength of his audition.

People have said Dawn of the Dead was an anti-capitalism thing, but I can't find any source of Romero directly saying that. The closest thing I can find to an inspiration for the film is Romero visiting the mall and having the manager joke that you could survive an emergency locked in there, which is the best thing to say to a zombie movie director. All of the sources claiming that Dawn of the Dead was anti-capitalist and that the zombies were a metaphor that I can find are news articles and essays saying it obviously is.

The explanation I've heard of Dawn of the Dead was that the work itself is full of well-done political statements and is anti-capitalism and stuff but that Romero made it that way entirely by accident and once everyone was like "wow this is really good you should do this again" he actually tried to do it in the sequels and it was laughably bad and everyone realized he's actually really bad at it and it was just a bizarre fluke.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sax Solo posted:

Okay let's look at his list

1. "In light of Sarah Jeong stuff, let's talk about community moderation." I agree neutral.

2. "I hate John Oliver for being mean to conservatives & the left is just as bad." Scott says neutral, I'd say center-right.

3. "Let's make some hay over the NYU #meToo hypocrisy bait, also I hate Title IX." Scott says center-right; this is just straight conservative.

4. Question about affirmative action arguments, looking for an anti-AA response. Scott says left-liberal. Poster later says they are "firmly anti-AA", this is a right wing person looking for ammunition.

5. Looking for information and arguing against Alex Jones's removal. I guess defense of Alex Jones is "center right" acc to Scott.

6. "Ninja not streaming with women is fine bc gamers be crazy." Scott says neutral, I say leaning right because of total non-interrogation of other side. In later comments poster seems to think Pence rule is not as bad, eh.

7. Sarah Jeong = Laura Ingraham gotcha comment. Scott says this is liberal-left because he is an idiot.

8. "Most cultural appropriation claims are stupid, this one might not be, thoughts?" Scott says liberal-left, I think neutral at best.

9. Someone's oppressing a religious Air Force General. ARGH someone steel man why this isn't lame. Scott says center-right, it's just conservative.

10. Feeling uneasy about portrayal of a Jewish character. Scott says this is neutral; I think this is the only left-liberal comment of the bunch.

Conclusion: SSC guy is a poor judge of politics.

I think Scott lives in some strange alternate dimension where the Overton window is shifted an equal amount but in the opposite direction

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hackbunny posted:

*a quick image search later*

lmao

I guess you missed my post right after that one :smug:

hackbunny posted:

Huh, first time a search for a "no, actually it's good" anime doesn't turn up anything gross

Look up Planetes some time, the only fetish it has is for meticuliusly accurate real world spaceflight physics and depressingly spot on depictions of capitalism in 50 years

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hackbunny posted:

Where do the rear end handles fit in this

You see they're robot ladies who want to gently caress you so they can turn into a real girl like pinnochhio.

I'm not kidding.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh man I know what video that's from, it's hosted by this "professor" who paints these loving terrible, generic paintings of boy scouts and is clearly super upset that the art world doesn't recognize his clear genius. He talks about how in the art class he teaches he starts by showing the class a picture he claims is by Jackson Pollock, and has the kids interpret it, and then *gasp* it's actually just a picture of his own messy, paint-covered smock, and you dumb idiot kids couldn't tell the difference because art is decadent and depraved now, how dare you try to find meaning where nobody has explicitly spelled it out for you!!!

Then the rest of the video is him griping about specific art pieces he doesn't like :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Pretty much that. This video (originally uploaded with the title "PragerU: The Blog That Thinks It's a University") does a pretty good job breaking down and debunking one of their videos on creationism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIwKhX-1gZQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92r0-obve7s

To be honest you can just watch their original videos which don't really need to be dissected because they're so incredibly obviously stupid it's hilarious.

e: lmao look at what I get in the suggestions on youtube

How could you go wrong with choices like that :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

White Rock posted:

The fact that those videos have millions of views should be a cause of concern.

Slickly animated stick men can both be used for good and evil.

They've been rediscovered by different groups and passed around the internet and mocked heavily several times since they came out, I know I've seen people find them and link them on these forums at least four times so far and I'm sure a lot of other sites go through the same cycle. I think many if not most of those views are probably people making fun of it, though I'm sure there's a not-insignificant amount of Facebook Dads that have passed them around to own the libs as well I guess

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

I only knew about them because they take out extremely long youtube ads. I've gone to watch an old episode of The Computer Chronicles, then I got some guy being like "The western Left wants to tell you that Israel is a nation committing genocide against its neighbors. But consider this; Stalin was a leftist and he committed genocide. So genocide is a Leftist thing. Problem is, Israel is extremely Right wing, so by that logic they couldn't be committing genocide. But now look at who is making the claim, the Leftists. Seems pretty convenient, doesn't it? AlsoLechembreadissupergoodcallyourmothershemissesyouGodbless."

Except it takes like 20 minutes to get there. I'm sure some other weirdos like me stop to gawk at the weird commercial, but I'm guessing overall people skip them, as you should, so they're wasting a lot of cash on being something you see five seconds of before your music video starts.

I've always wondered if people like that would explode if you told them about Israel's huge welfare system and socialized medicine.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I've been told Milo is having/had a meltdown because nobody's paying attention to him and nobody wants to book him as a speaker at anything. I'm not going to check because I don't need the google results for milo on my mind but it was nice hearing that he's apparently fully washed up and miserable at least. Burn in hell you gently caress :3:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bless u milo for all your selfless not talking about how selfless you are, you're so brave for being a not victim in all of this :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Everyone knows the weirder and less normal your ideas are the better they are, which is why I heal myself by consuming buckets of colloidal silver and shoving crystals up my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm sure you can easily provide the data that shows white people are more competent and less corrupt, oh wise rationalist who definitely isn't just back-rationalizing stereotypes