Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Aerial Tollhouse posted:

If you're gonna talk about crazy programming languages, you might as well talk about Moldbug's own crazy language

That loving page posted:

It's perhaps how you'd do computing in a post-singularity world, where computational speed and bandwidth are infinite, and what's valuable is security, trust, creativity, and collaboration. It's essentially a combination of a programming language, OS, virtual machine, social network, and digital identity platform.

Read this far, had to quote it. He's writing an... unguided... thing, for computers which he is assuming already have infinite power. In other words, he has no idea how to make anything efficient, but isn't going to let that stop him from scope-creeping the gently caress out of his little military-themed coding plan accident.

One of the entries under the heading 'downsides' posted:

It's unclear how much computation speed, bandwidth, and storage are needed to make this viable. E.g. when your computer stores a log of every computation you've ever run, how much storage space is needed per year? Similarly, when your computer crashes, how much time is needed to replay your past transactions to get back to your current state? And how much bandwidth is needed to make it viable to run software that's chained together from code modules across the Internet?

This poo poo is clearly based on the bitcoin blockchain. It's bitcoin as a computer language, which is also a social network and an operating system.

Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
A reminder that Yud also believes that AI will simply 'happen' some day. Like, some day, some programmer will slap the run button and it'll be the future AI god, unstoppable and glorious. He refers to this as "hard takeoff" officially, but if there's one thing I love about Yud, it's his amazing tendency to reveal the childishness of his beliefs in unofficial channels. "AI-go-FOOM" is a tenet of Yudkowsky's view of AI.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Aug 3, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I could benefit from rereading but I don't specifically recall most of the characters being described as white. I imagine you could probably read all of LOTR and have a black Boromir or Aragorn in your minds we without contradicting the text.

The bad guys are specifically described as black (orcs) or dark-skinned (bad humans), though. I think this was meant to distinguish them from the other races.

Anyway, one of the other things that you might notice not appearing in LOTR is any description of elf ears. He never once said that his elves had pointy ears.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Heresiarch posted:

Hugo Nominee John C. Wright, ladies and gentlemen.

Why was he going to win a writing award?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

I meant like

Does he think that was good writing

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

Specifically, like the middle of winter 1951-52.

As depicted in an under-researched comic book.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Qwertycoatl posted:

Actually Eliezer also invented a garbage programming language, but it's more vapourware than Moldbug's.

That is the most words I've ever seen someone waste trying to say "next big thing."

E: also I took a look over his document and I legit cannot tell how his new category differs from a well patterned oop system. Like, he's basically suggesting "the Unity game engine as a programming language." Unless I've missed some key point in there.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 09:10 on Aug 31, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bistromatic posted:

Yud is the kind of person who seems self absorbed enough to claim he invented the wheel from first principles while on the bus so I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't anything new in there and he just doesn't have the expertise in the field he thinks he has.

He actually dedicates an entire paragraph of his programming language overview to explaining that multiple GUIs should be able to handle the code in different ways, and never once mentions compiling or compilers.

Also he basically spends the entire section describing a hybrid of the Composite and Visitor programming patterns. Which I have actually implemented in my own little Java game engine, it's not even hard.

I think he just doesn't understand the difference between a language and a program.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Let me paraphrase:

I don't have a personality and I'm terrified of people realising that, so I'll justify my lack of interesting qualities by claiming people that have friends are bad, dumb, and wrong.

Cingulate posted:

This is actually exactly how I was thinking when I entered puberty.

God I was such a dipshit.

Yes, but unlike this man, you then grew up. Take pride in that, because if the poo poo posted in this thread is anything to go by, there are a fuckton of people who didn't.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Curvature of Earth posted:

Atheist libertarian MRA. The trifecta.

"thinkers"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
To Tumblr, we are the ivory tower translators of obscure video games.

To EVE online, we are the mindless destroyers of economies.

To NRx bloggers, we are the source of the terrifying social justice warrior.

To each other, we are hateful pricks who coughed up ten bucks to vocally dislike things on a perpetually "dying" half-coded forum run by evil clowns who occasionally request that we gently caress pieces of lab equipment in order to not be forced to leave.

It's kind of comforting that other places think we're competent.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

And I see we've handily accounted for the poors who ARE working many hours by saying they're "not planning ahead."

Oh, you're working three jobs to make ends meet? Don't you know you can sign up for community college and study your way into a better job? Time isn't a finite and fragile resource for me, how can it be one for anyone else?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's a dumb-rear end twist. They take something written by someone they hate, remove everything except the emotive words, call those "fnords" and then complain that there's no rational argument left in.

Wow you mean by extracting the rational argument there's no rational argument left

It's like changing the words in a sentence changes its meaning or something

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

A White Guy posted:

I don't even :psyduck:. How the hell can you possibly draw the conclusion from that graph that we need to tax the poor people even more? Holy gently caress, we have more subsidies to the rich than we do to the poor!

These fucks do not understand what society is.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Count Chocula posted:

I haven't really watched anime in years but the Attack on Titan theme song sounds like amazing Facist propaganda music about dying young and gloriously for your country.

It is pretty explicitly about fascism, but it's more of an exploration than a propaganda piece- the government in the setting is explicitly and thoroughly corrupt and wasteful.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you beat up a girl you look like an rear end in a top hat, and if you refuse to fight them over your own threats you're a pussy. There's just no way to win with moderntarded fragile masculinity.

So you lose the fuckin' fight. That's the only non-bad way out.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

Somehow, I highly doubt this. After all, he has to save his biggest skill—rewiring his brain—for when humanity most needs it, since it's a one-shot deal. He wouldn't waste it on something so mundane as getting over his crippling inability to actually do work.
Any day now he's gonna save us all and then we'll all apologise for mocking him and Jenny in his English class will totally go to prom with him and we'll all be sorry we ever doubted him and he'll get a parade and his dad won't roll his eyes when he talks about his stories ever again

Somfin has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Dec 7, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Darth Walrus posted:

Apparently, there's some BDSM subcultures where it's not a thing, and there's much more pressure on the dom rather than the sub to keep things safe and fun.

I'm 100% sure that's not why this guy is objecting, though.

gently caress it, I'll bite.

BDSM comes in two primary flavours when it comes to consent, since saying 'no' and 'stop' and the like can't always be taken literally. Some people are looking for that kind of thing, in a simulated way. There's SSC, Safe, Sane and Consensual, which means there is a safe word (which should never need to be used) and the dominant partner is expected to check in with their partner regularly to make sure they're still into it. Then there's RACK, Risk-Aware Consensual Kink, where there's no safe word but both partners share all tastes, limits and fetishes ahead of time. RACK is seen by most folks in the community as insanely risky and likely to be predatory.

Jim is going for a third way involving no negotiation or discussion, which is pretty much certain to turn into outright rape.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

DStecks posted:

Parody generally means "taking the established tropes of a genre and putting them over the top in a campy way or portraying them in a context which reveals their ridiculousness", but on the internet it means "the same thing but ironically".

"The same thing but I get to call backsies on it if people laugh at me"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lottery of Babylon posted:

For a guy who's totally not a racist neoreactionary you sure spend a lot of time talking about how anyone who thinks darkies aren't biologically inferior is delusional.

Cingulate I want you to read this post.

Your point is so loving abhorrently racist that you made loving Lottery of Babylon drop his schtick to make a serious post. You're literally saying that Haiti is a nation of mentally deficient humans, because they couldn't pass a test that a white guy wrote.

How do you feel about literacy tests for voting in the United States?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cingulate posted:

I don't know, what were you expecting? I have no particular opinion on IQ. Especially nothing extraordinary or well fleshed out.

Then why do you keep hammering on like it means anything

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Israel is also considered the sardonically named 'Jesus Trap' by the rest of us - making fun of the evangelicals seeing Israel as the best way to bait Jesus back to Earth for Judgement Day.

For reference, in Rapture literature there's a firm belief that Jesus will reappear in an Israel controlled by His Chosen People during the end times. Since a lot of Evangelicals cling hard to the belief that we are in the end times right now- and therefore there's no fuckin' point in pushing for social progress because it's all gonna be over soon anyway- their belief has warped into this strange fascination with the idea that it's time, but all the pieces need to be in the right place. Like they can rules-lawyer God into hitting the big button on His Almighty Control Panel with the word RAPTURE on it by setting it all up for Him and then getting His attention. Or, alternatively, that almighty, omnipotent God can't start the rapture because all the pieces aren't in the exact place yet.

It's the same poo poo as the Prosperity Gospel, turning God into a magic spell that works if you do it right and believe hard.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

BobHoward posted:

Anyways where I'm going with all this rambling is that engineering STEMlords are definitely not all that liberal, in my anecdotal experience. Lumping the sciences and engineering disciplines together might work in some ways, but not politically.

Also remember that culture has a huge amount to do with it. At my university in New Zealand, for example, you could count the number of right-wing true believers in the computer science / software engineering faculty on two fingers. One was widely regarded as an ignorant loving moron and the other one was such a total workaholic that I got the sense that strict adherence to libertarian ideology was the only thing that kept her going.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Count Chocula posted:

That's cool, your denial of the fear of death will protect you for awhile. I envy you man, I really do, but mocking people who fear the worst thing that will happen to most people - the thing that's inspired religions and poets for millennia - like they're people who like the wrong kind of videogame is just silly. FFS, one of the first stories ever, The Epic of Gilgamesh, is about fearing death. Becker's book and Terror Management Theory explain so much. Including why we distract ourselves with petty Internet fights. Lik Woody Allen says, he has to do 5 things at once to distract himself from the fear of death. And it's why I've read every blog post Phil Sandifer's written about Doctor Who and British comic wizards.

Fiction writers are notoriously unstable human beings who are obsessed with immortality. It's a necessity of the trade. Citing them as evidence only hinders your "I'm normal" argument.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Count Chocula posted:

I still want to be frozen. Even .00000000000000001 chance of survival is better than none at all.

Why would anyone thaw you out? Serious question.

And in what universe is that dead frozen brain going to maintain a consciousness for centuries in a state such that it can be restored?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

The key point is, his idea of a 'language' read far more like what most actual coders would call a 'program.' Almost everything he put forward as big new advances that only his language would do were long-established software patterns (particularly the composite pattern). It was like someone fiddled around with Unity for a while, then decided "there should be a language that works like that," without once realising the loving stupidity that such an idea reveals.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

As A Leftist who presumably represents all leftists everywhere i would like to say that that guy who shoved that other guy totally doesn't represent us and i don't want Trump to die*, happy?

*Because if he dies it would make it a lot harder to show all his supporters how wrongy wrong wrong wrong they are for being so loving wrong about everything

The term is 'be martyred' hth

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sorry he dumped you

Somebody has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Mar 20, 2016

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cingulate posted:

Surprise isn't the real word. Astonishment?

Being technically correct, but unhelpful is kind of my thing you see.

Acknowledging the problem is only step one.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hahaha, Roosh didn't make the cut.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

pookel posted:

But calling him Dick Dorkins sounds like a reference to Dick Durkin, who is a loving awesome character and should never be linked with Richard Dawkins in any way.

"We're going to need bigger guns. Big, big loving guns." -- Dick Durkin, Split Second*

*If you haven't seen Split Second, go watch it. Relevant scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQvMWD-_Nfo

drat that is a really good scene. Now I need to watch the movie.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hermetic posted:

This is what happens when kids who make claims of using "multiple levels of irony" to shield themselves from responsibility for their actions actually run afoul of someone who has a summer home somewhere around layer 37.

This is what happens when an identity that requires several layers of irony for self-protection hits an identity at peace with itself. You can see the layers of trying to appear to not give a gently caress being burnt back by the blazing light of actually not giving a gently caress.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Heath posted:

1) Buddhism and Objectivism are mostly incompatible

For a :airquote:philosopher:airquote: this guy cannot spot axiomatic incompatibility to save his life. They are entirely incompatible. Unless your version of Buddhism is New Age Spirituality™, there should be no way to blend "only I matter" and "I don't exist."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

Hey, gently caress you too, buddy. :mad:

The gently caress did I do to deserve that, you dick?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Wait is 'nips' a racial slur for the japanese now? gently caress i'm a weeaboo and i've never heard that one, i assume they're going for 'Nippon' but it just makes me think of nipples.

Got it in one. Welcome to 1940s-era slurs.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Count Chocula posted:

I'm good, I see one, and I don't express or even have these thoughts outside of this thread, where they are explicitly related to the topic at hand. I'm not sure about Moldbug, but as Phil points out, Yud, Land, and Ligotti's philosophies flow DIRECTLY from their pathological fear of death. I'm kicking myself for not using mine to get tech billionaires to give me money.

Tell your therapist about these thoughts.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Shows what you know. I am a proud member of the #3FFF00 Tribe, and we passionately hate all our enemies in the #D3D3D3 Tribe

Only because they won't give us a flarhgunnstow on command

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

I'm sorry that you took what I said wrong, but let me double down anyway posted:

Realtalk, I'm just tired of some dumb kids shutting down the thread so they can make it about how offended they are.

The thread has begun to generate its own content.

Here's the key point y'all seem to be missing- context matters, you dipshits.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hermetic posted:

Does Milo count?

Milo is the GOP's gay friend who totally can't understand why gay people would even want to get married and who totally said it's fine to call gay people "human being" and who thinks that gay people totally already have plenty of rights so why would they like even want more, right guys haha but seriously?

He's a sellout who is so grateful for the scraps of attention thrown his way he doesn't understand how much damage he is really doing to his own future.

He's an other crab-bucketing his way to the top of the other oppressed others, not realising that he's never getting out of the bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Gene Roddenberry was a big ol' fuckhead and it's only by luck that he doesn't have an even worse reputation than George Lucas, but classic Star Trek was impressively ahead of its time in a lot of ways.

And the crew knew it. Remember that Star Trek is the show that had one of the first interracial kisses in all of American TV, mostly because Shatner deliberately flubbed the "don't show the actual kiss" alternate take that the studio demanded, so in the end they had to go with the actual on-screen snog.

Apparently the only angry letter they received was from a Southern guy who's response was "I am totally opposed to the mixing of the races. However, any time a red-blooded American boy like Captain Kirk gets a beautiful dame in his arms that looks like Uhura, he ain't gonna fight it." Which... yeah. As far as hate mail goes, that's pretty tame.

E: And they got a shitton of positive responses, just to make it clear.