Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Also I love him talking about scientists and curiosity like he understands either when the entire loving psychological edifice underlying rationalism and the dark enlightenment is an all-consuming, knee jellying fear of being wrong about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
It's a complete and total mystery that the Dark Enlightenment got its start on LessWrong and with rationalis-

Oh.

:smith:

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Ugh, he's doing it again

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Owns, owns, owns. It's peak Rationality right out the gate.

"Surely some humility is appropriate when criticizing the elite decision-makers governing the Bank of Japan." (He does not actually come to this conclusion, ofc.)

I love how the better his writing gets the less convincing he is because the arrogance and terrible ideas are even more obvious.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

I am not overly fond of Sandifer, but I will say that whenever he does something right he really knocks it out of the park. This is spot-on.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Everyone on 4chan should probably be in therapy

I used to mess with nervous wrecks in the passing threads for trans people by posting pictures of masculine cis women and asking if they passed as cis. I always got more people saying they didn't pass than did, and this tells you everything you need to know about the lgbt community on 4chan.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Smoke a loooot of weed, IME

This won't help you long-term, for the exact same reason that people who can't socialize without alcohol develop problematic relationships with the stuff. The actual trick here is to stop living in your head and start being a part of the world around you. Focus less on being successful and more on forming genuine connections with the people around you and in your life. You will still have that voice in your head, but you will have a bulwark against it. Do your best to cultivate meaningful experiences that have nothing to do with your intellect. Go dancing, talk to strangers about stupid poo poo, wander around town or a forest and look at cool poo poo and do your damnedest not to think about yourself. Eventually you will learn a trick for it. Focusing on my breathing works for me. Another good trick is learning a lot about local plants and animals, especially insects, before going hiking. Then you have a massive variety of things to focus on that aren't you.

I am telling you this also as someone who has some "achievements" to go along with that garbage that was forced down my throat as a child at that age when people don't stop talking about how smart you are. It does not stop, and no matter how far you go it will not abate. You can collect all the trophies you want but it will never be enough, and that part of you will always be whispering that you can do more and should want more. We are raised from childhood to think that there's some innate potential that we have to meet to have succeeded in life. Intelligence is not an obligation, the idea of it is a burden more than anything. The thought that you have to work your hands to the bone to achieve some valuable thing isn't true, it is a sickness ground into us by a poisonous culture that values success over personal happiness.

SolTerrasa posted:

Imagine the phrase "not living up to my potential" scrawled on every wall of a padded room to get a sense of the undercurrent of angst and anxiety that this community feels, constantly.

This is the most accurate description of the rationalist community I have ever encountered. They have a million different ways to say "I'm smart but I'm living in an apartment in Berkeley eating TV dinners and none of my friends talk to anyone who isn't in computers and I don't even have money to show for it." Everyone in the community talks about having some sort of executive dysfunction or some ineffable problem that prevents them from Doing Things and they're all dogged every waking moment by the specter of their own brain-power because they'd rather drink kool-aid then realize that they really aren't that extraordinary.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Boo! Boo this man!

After lessons my dancing is terrible, and after years of practice I smile on the outside while internally I say, with dread, "I have nothing to say in this conversation, what can I do when the conversation stops?"

There's no "actual trick." "Stop living in your head" is a cliche. Don't be facile.

It is a cliche for a reason. If none of that works then you should probably get anti-depressants or the help of a qualified psychologist.

Actually I would probably recommend seeing the qualified psychologist first. There's a chance though that they'll just recommend basically what I said up there.

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Mar 25, 2018

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Jesus Christ.

I only mentioned my own experiences to hopefully make you realize that your own experience could not be generalized, and there is no "actual trick."

Your response is "well, if my 'actual trick' doesn't work, I guess you should take...drugs. I don't know which ones, I'm not a doctor or anything. Just not weed, that won't work."

I was deliberately not engaging you and being flippant you weirdo.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Not sure this is the time or place for life advice...

Agreed, sorry for the derail.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

MikeCrotch posted:

I just saw a deepfakes video of Jordan Peterson loving a fleshlight

Truly we now live in the future

I mean, the only way I'd know it was a fake was if he wasn't staring intently at imitation baroque artwork and grunting about meaning.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
I threw in my two cents on the reddit thread and hope it helped. I'm AmyEldritch there. Jax really has been through an impressive amount of poo poo at the hands of these people.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

divabot posted:

not that great, they cite Ozy's totally neutral assessment of G*m*rg*t* and why Z** Q**nn is an evil bitch as current data for 2018.

And also, it's de rigeur for one bit of the rationalist subculture to decry that other bit as uniquely terrible in ways that have nothing to do with us over here, when in practice they're as distinct as substrains of Nazi.

Ozy is a member of the Bay Area rationalist community, for context. They were an extremely active member of the particular group I was involved with.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
For people who hate religion so much they are surprisingly okay with obeying the disgusting whims of a vile and capricious god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Goddamn, that monster is like a textbook example of a "valid but incorrect syllogism.