Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

divabot posted:

Just contemplate all we've lost with MoreRight falling off the net.

Tell me more about this MoreRight business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

SolTerrasa posted:

I think I already covered why it's not going to be a deep neural net (or any neural net) which ends the world, unless you count the brain of the guy with the nuclear codes. I've been reading too much Yudkowsky, I'm going to go drink. If you have any questions or want any followups, I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Oh it's you - I read a bunch of posts of yours in a different thread about the rationalist movement/AI that were really cool and informative. Thanks for keeping up the effortposts, I really enjoy reading them.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ate all the Oreos posted:

He strikes me as this exact kind of person too, the kind of person who thinks they're super ~deep~ because they know the real secret facts the rest of the dumb progs don't know and he can totally shut down debate with them at any moment.

So basically me in highschool, plus a bunch of hatred for minorities stirred in for some reason.

He seems like a sea lion for sure. Almost certainly has eggs over easy on toast.

Cavelcade has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Jan 16, 2017

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Lisa was making swamp metaphors back in 1991. I don't think you can credit him with that.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Rand believed that Capitalism was responsible for setting the slaves free and that the North fought the Civil War in order to advance their free market ideology which was being held back by the South's commitment to a controlled economy vis a vis owning a free method of production that unfairly altered the market to favor goods that could be produced by slaves.

This puts her at odds with many libertarians and objectivists who believe that slavery itself is the most true proof of working libertarian ideology/objectivism in that you can bootstraps yourself so far above other humans that you literally own them and that you are so successful in the free market that you can force people from participating in it by owning their freedom. These people also usually believe in the lie of the "happy slave" because in their twisted vision of how things work if slaves wanted to be free they would have fought harder to be free and killed more dudes to be free. These guys shockingly are usually middle class white men who have been handed piles of free poo poo in their life but paradoxically think they are completely self made men with 0 advantages over any other person other than being really good at stuff. It also doesn't help that your general Lost Cause Revisionism runs ultra deep on the far right and has a pretty strong following among the mostly white crowd of online DE/Objectivity/Libertarian communities. It doesn't help that they've managed to poison actual political discourse with the whole "states rights" lie (to paraphrase Ta-Nehisi Coates "it was a war about states rights, but mostly about one right in particular") so you have actual real none racist KKKers who support the League of the South and organizations like that. I'd actually go as far to say that pro-Confederacy and general Lost Cause stuff is probably going to be an upcoming wave among a lot of these DE guys in the near future.

Whenever they do, have this post handy to be able to source your arguments about why they're terrible!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Fututor Magnus posted:

Moldbug, or an imitator, shows up in Scott Aaronson's blog

http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=3167

Look for comments under "Bugmold"

"Look at this book on politics and international relations from the 18th century, it's definitely still 100% applicable to today's world."

Also his bit about why don't Iranians stay in Iran and make it better just reminds me of this glorious Stewart Lee clip so I guess thanks for that, dillweed.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I don't know if these guys are reallly Dark Enlightenment chumps but this bizarre whiny philosophy seems right in line with it. "I send random dick pics cause no-one ever told me I'm pretty" is such a bizarre train of thought.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

quote:

I'm inclined to suggest we learn to behave like a mystery cult, in the traditional sense of the word: a serious, proper cult that talks about secret cult business only among believers

:allears:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Fututor Magnus posted:

Also, Scott's latest is a loving hoot. It's always funny when the rationalists try to defend themselves against criticism. http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/04/07/yes-we-have-noticed-the-skulls/

I thought this was going to be a fun Mitchell and Web reference instead of whatever strange thing that was.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Slime posted:

A 10:0 ratio would mean that there are ten men for every zero women, which is infinity men.

loving idiot cant even math and he's talking about being rational as gently caress lol

Truly a shock.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

That's actually a pretty cool take on it. Kind of makes me want to watch doctor who again.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Hi yes my unpopular videogames opinion is that I don't like the entire dark souls series and I think the first game in particular is highly overrated and ugly thanks for listening

finally someone willing to stand up to THE MAN and tell HARD TRUTHS

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Kit Walker posted:

The comparison to temperature is really good, come to think of it. We all agree that "hot" and "cold" exist, but also that temperature is an actual range. The definition of what hot and cold means varies from person to person, and something hot for you may just be warm to someone else. Likewise, what masculine and feminine means can vary from person to person. We don't physically identify with our perception of temperature but it's not a big leap to see that if something is neither hot nor cold, people can also be something between masculine and feminine.

The problem, of course, is convincing people that it's fine for others to not strive for one of the extremes

The problem is that temperature still undermines his argument as you also have:

Freezing, cold chilly, cool, lukewarm, warm, hot, roasting, etc. We do have names for all those in between bits, that guy's a bagel.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I think they meant it's a really good comparison in general, to use when talking to other people, not that it's a good argument for this moron.

Oh, yeah, I was just talking about the moron who thinks that it is a good argument and that we don't need words for the in between bits when we just have two words already.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

divabot posted:

You're trying to leave Scott without handy bad examples! Soon he'll have to hark back to that feminist at college who made him hate feminists again, and this time someone might ask him to specify what the actual thing he did that pissed them off so much in fact was.

Does anyone have any real doubt?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Fututor Magnus posted:

scott's posting on the whole dragon army thing on tumblr is so loving terrible, i'm honestly surprised at how far gone he is.

Wow he had to be convinced it was dumb, that's pretty bad.

What's the general reaction of those people now that Trump is pulling out of the Paris accord?

Edit: Oh wait he goes back to thinking it's a good idea, JFC Scott.

Cavelcade has a new favorite as of 10:59 on Jun 2, 2017

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

neongrey posted:

no, please say

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

divabot posted:

oh, MetaMed Deep Throat has found and is reading this thread, and has offered to answer questions about MetaMed via me. (that are (a) safe for them to answer (b) are ethical to answer at all, e.g. that don't violate HIPAA in letter or spirit.) Look into the eyes of Smug Eliezer and ask away ...

What was the feeling among the founders when it failed? Did some accept that being a doctor is hard or did they all just blame society for not being ready for them?

Edit: also I want to punch that you in the face now diva, sorry, the avatar is just that effective.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Skittle Prickle posted:

Scotts talking about race again!

In the post, he plays "Is it really racist if you genuinely think black people are genetically inferior?" and goes on the usual confusing multipage ramble, include the scott trademarks of the contrived examples, the confusing analogy and the single anecdote that justifies everything. His premise seems to be "I'm not saying we should ignore racism, I'm just saying that we have to give every single racist the benefit of the doubt". Apparently he feels that a civil war is imminent because the left is too intolerant of people who believe racist things.

Also included: the south can't be racist because they voted for Ben Carson.

I wonder if he's talked with anyone with any actual expertise on racial matters, to politely pull him aside and explain what systemic factors are.

Taking his example of rate of imprisonment - Blacks get imprisoned at a higher rate than Whites for the same crimes. The correct response isn't "do nothing" or "take away the ability to see criminal records", it's to correct the systemic problems causing these disparities.

Cavelcade has a new favorite as of 11:51 on Jun 22, 2017

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Literally political nice guys ahahaha

That's a great description.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

divabot posted:

Scott Alexander invented the Principle of Charity, much as he invented Historical Materialism.

loving hell, he literally thinks the problem with blatant advocacy of eugenics is that people make fun of him for it.

He just wants people more likely to commit crimes to be prevented from breeding (as smarter people are less likely to commit crimes (crimes being defined as only on the blue-collar side (when you make lots of points and subpoints and segregate them it makes you seem smarter (or that you actually mean the jews) ) ) ) ) and it's totally coincidental that that will mean more people who match the description of those currently on top of the pile and fewer people of colour - they just have an inherently lower IQ, which is objective and not biased by years of oppression making them less likely to do well on IQ tests, without actually making them less intelligent.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

darthbob88 posted:

Yeah, and noble self-sacrifice is a classic in any kind of fiction. I don't want self-sacrifice, I want self-destruction. I want some dude realizing, that he's become one of the monsters he's spent his life fighting, and he knows what to do with monsters. I want to see Dredd accept that, even if it's during wartime and at the push of a button, he still has the blood of half a million innocents on his hands, and there's only one sentence for murderers. I want to see a guy who's been making the hard decisions that other people do not deserve life finally make the hard decision that he does not deserve life. Not for the good of his country, nor for his family, simply because his death is the moral thing to do.

In Bruges concludes that way, and is generally a great movie you should check out.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Ethnic cleansing is okay if it's the Smarts killing off the Brutes

Well you have to remember the Smarts are objectively better as people at ????? so that's fine.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Curvature of Earth posted:

These people are gonna be fleeced by the first con artist who notices them.

*Cough-Yudkowski-Cough*

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Munin posted:

Instead of my long screed I should have just said the problem is not data. The problem is people being unable to reassess some of their fundamental assumptions and then riding with those assumptions right off a cliff. As they do so they use whatever tools they have available in their mental toolbox to beat back any threats to their precious priors/prejudices.

I don't think that was the point they were making - they brought up instances where data was useful. They were focusing on the naive use of data without critique, which when used that implicitly endorses the current state of affairs as being "natural" in some sense. It's a very interesting area.

They didn't do a nuanced job of making that point, though.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Your new avatar is good.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

MikeCrotch posted:

Actually its Ttocs Rednaxela

If we get him to say that, does he go back to the 5th dimension?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

This is a fine note.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

So this probably isn't the right place for this article about racist British comic strips about the Irish (from the 1800s to today!) but I don't know where is and Jesus Christ.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

My favorite thing that happened to me is in highschool a girl I'd never met before walked up to me at lunch and said "i heard you're gay, are you?" and i'm like "uh yes" and she just said real matter-of-factly "you know you're going to hell, right?" "yeah" "ok bye" and she walked away and I never saw her again.

Like I guess she thought maybe I didn't know I was going to hell and she thought she might educate me?

Something like this?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

quote:

So basically like Jews in the Weimar Republic and the Third Reich? Always keep your head down and your mouth shut.

Mm, yes, directly comparable situations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Jesus loving Christ this oval office spends the whole time trying to frighten people about muslims and he comes out with this. What is going on????

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

there wolf posted:

Where's that Dril tweet about how there's no difference between good and evil when you need it? "I'm going to side with the non-violent protestors" is pretty meaningless if you aren't out there getting a firehose to the face yourself.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Curvature of Earth posted:

I've come across this classic bit of Scott Alexander: Scott's fantasy utopia. It's an extended exercise in worldbuilding that makes him look, uh, well...

kinda fashy

"If only everyone used the same words, we'd all agree with me!" is concentrated essence of LessWrong.

Man, his answers to questions in the comments are enlightening, even the slightest scar Ching away at the surface shows how crazy this idea was. It's like he read 1984 and thought "why are these ideas being shown to lead to a bad end???"

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Qwertycoatl posted:

BTW the article this quote's from is a pro read: Donald Trump Is The First White President

That was re really good, thanks for posting it.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

So I know this isn't really the appropriate thread to talk about it but Trump threw paper towels at hurricane victims and I'm having serious trouble understanding that this is the reality we live in.

If this is a simulation, please turn it off.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I'll level with you, I have no idea who that is.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

This is basically just expanding on an earlier entry where he talks about how you should ignore what experts say if you think something different to them to which Scott Aaronson (I think) responded with learned epistemological helplessness or something along those lines which obviously didn’t deter Eli in the slightest.

Also lol that his response to the guy asking him how he knew that is to lambaste him here, when he’s totally right to ask that question when Eli clearly didn’t explain in the original paper that lots of other experts think the bank of Japan was making a mistake, because he didn’t know because he was getting his info from loving blogs.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

divabot posted:

but if you read the tweet in context, then

welp never mind

It’s even worse than it seemed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Grace Baiting posted:

This descriptive epithet “lovely” does not disambiguate between the relevant Scotts in the context of this thread

That’s feature, not a bug.