Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Explain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Politifact rates this as Mostly True

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

ate all the Oreos posted:

PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker: childless jewesses are america's worst
I can confirm that I am the worst

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

divabot posted:

Neoreaction being gay af doesn't mean they're not homophobic, they are very much both.

Yeah the OG Nazis were gay as hell

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

If history does not unfold according to my First Principles, it is history that has erred.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Milo and Lena Dunham should get married :allears:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

It is a good book that becomes GREAT in the last 400 pages.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Northern Europeans who believe in racial determinism had better explain why their ancestors were chopping people's heads off with broadswords while the Arabs, Indians, and Indigenous South Americans were busy inventing math.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I'm not here to roast our departed Neanderthal cousins. Everything we know about them is that they were chill as gently caress.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Peel posted:

The Greeks get counted as 'european' and Jesus was [unintelligible mumbling] so all of the classical philosophy and abrahamic theology developed in North Africa and Western Asia from 300 BC to the mid second millennium is actually the exclusive property of pasty ex-barbarians.

I love how NRx people can never remember if they like Christianity or not. On the one hand, CHRISTENDOM, on the other hand, Jesus was a Jewish cuck and we should all go back to Asatru.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I just spent a fair amount of time going through that person's tweets and I am so confused. They used to be reactionary but now they are a Maoist nonbinary transperson? Does this involve tumblr somehow :psyduck:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Racism is like the worst mind-virus ever. It's so hard to eradicate. All of our human vulnerabilities play into it -- people look different, so that means there are categories of people. Plus in the U.S. we all grow up with a level of historical background radiation that makes racism seem like the reasonable default. It takes SO MUCH EDUCATION to counteract. It's just the loving common cold of memes.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Oh I know, I don't think of "meme" as anything other than a good word for a persistent, hard to eradicate idea. I think the concept has value as a metaphor, but I don't think of memes in the way Dawkins does. There are few people I loathe more than Dick Dorkins.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Dr. Tobias Fünke, Analrapist and Antiracist

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The soft right wing in the U.S. has proven to be resilient because it tolerates all sorts of internal contradictions rather well. Far-right movements arise every now and again (I'm thinking particularly of the John Birch society) and they certainly have an impact, but they tend to break down because they're too paranoid. When your ideology is based on conspiracies and purity instead of on a set of discrete social goals, eventually your group will splinter and devour itself. Nobody can ever be white enough or nationalist enough. The Catholics are never going to fit into ethnonationalism.

The GOP has the right idea -- screw ideological purity and cynically embrace whatever useful minorities will help you advance your agenda. Forgive hypocrites immediately as long as they return to the fold.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The Vosgian Beast posted:

C. Probably some cross-contamination from Objectivists, who hate Kant because Ayn Rand did.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Slime posted:

A 10:0 ratio would mean that there are ten men for every zero women, which is infinity men

Not all infinity men

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

What the hell does Clark have against witches?! Is it the 12th century at his house?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

LISTEN TO MY LAST WORDS anywhere. Listen to my last words any world. Listen all you boards syndicates and governments of the earth. And you powers behind what filth consummated in what lavatory to take what is not yours. To sell the ground from unborn feet forever -

"Don't let them see us. Don't tell them what we are doing -"

Are these the words of the all-powerful boards and syndicates of the earth?

"For God's sake don't let that Coca-Cola thing out - "

"Not The Cancer Deal with The Venusians - "

"Not The Green Deal - Don't show them that - "

"Not The Orgasm Death - "

"Not the ovens - "

Listen: I call you all. Show your cards all players. Pay it all pay it all pay it all back. Play it all pay it all play it all back. For all to see. In Times Square. In Picadilly.

"Premature. Premature. Give us a little more time."

Time for what? More lies? Premature? Premature for who? I say to all these words are not premature. These words may be too late. Minutes to go. Minutes to foe goal -

"Top Secret - Classified - For The Board - The Elite - The Initiates -

Are these the words of the all-powerful boards and syndicates of the earth? These are the words of liars cowards collaborators traitors. Liars who want time for more lies, Cowards who can not face your "dogs" your "gooks" your "errand boys" your "human animals" with the truth, Collaborators with Insect People with Vegetable People. With any people anywhere who offer you a body forever. To poo poo forever. For this you have sold out your sons. Sold the ground from unborn feet forever. Traitors to all souls everywhere. You want the name of Hassan i Sabbah on your filth deeds to sell out the unborn?

What scared you all into time? Into body? Into poo poo? I will tell you; "the word." Alien Word "the." "The" word of Alien Enemy imprisons "thee" in Time, In Body. In poo poo. Prisoner, come out. The great skies are open, I Hassan i Sabbah rub out the word forever. If you I cancel all your words forever. And the words of Hassan i Sabbah as also cancel. Cross all your skies see the silent writing of Brion Gysin Hassan i Sabbah: drew September 17, 1899 over New York.

:thumbsup:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

$8K for a session of blood donation is pretty loving amazing tbh, this is a method of scamming the rich I can get behind
You could do this as a fraudulent procedure so easily. Get a phlebotomist to be your accomplice and you could stage it without any blood actually going anywhere.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Brb getting a black turtleneck and getting ready to pitch HemaTality Inc.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The best mainstream goon

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

It's not entirely NRx related but I really want to make a long post about the Art Renewal Centre. It's kind of only interesting to artists though? Would anyone here care?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Make way for a BIG POST toot toot :toot:

Art Renewal Center (ARC) is a non-profit organization founded/run by a billionaire guy named Fred Ross. They are an advocacy organization for a particular type of extremely conservative, realistic painting (known as "academic" art). They also offer "certification" for art schools that teach artists how to paint in their approved style. They also have annual awards for works created in their approved style, and certify certain artists as ARC Living Masters™. :rolleyes:

Fred Ross, being a Very Wealthy Man, wanted to collect some fine art. He was unhappy with the state of modern art ca. 2000 (spoiler alert, most contemporary art is poo poo), and discovered the work of a mid-tier French painter named William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825-1905).

Le Printemps by Bouguereau

Bouguerau was moderately popular in his day, but doesn't really figure into anyone's concept of "art history" because his work was kitschy and without any serious point of view or original development. He was, without a doubt, a technical master. The guy could paint the human figure! Nobody disputes that. But in the general outline of art history, Bouguereau is just not that "important," considering the giants of art who were his contemporaries (i.e., the motherfucking Impressionists :black101:).

The ARC really, REALLY wants people to know that Bouguereau was like the greatest painter ever to live. To ARC, the fact that Bouguerau was forgotten in favor of FRAUDS like PICASSO is a shameful conspiracy by people who want to destroy art itself.

Now, if you browse the ARC web site, there are some great artists among their heroes! John Singer Sargent! Anders Zorn! Michelangelo! Alphonse Mucha! Goya! It's not that they have no taste at all. The problems are a little more subtle. For one thing, they're obsessed with academic technique (which they call, "realism") to the exclusion of emotional or intellectual expression.

The art schools they bless (called "ARC-Approved™ Ateliers") teach a particular curriculum based on what's known as "sight-size." This is a system where you set up a canvas at a particular distance from your subject so that the picture you're making and the subject are the same size at the distance you're drawing. You train yourself to copy EXACTLY, from a master drawing (usually from a 19th century series by a guy named Charles Bargue), from plaster casts, and eventually from the live model. One of the ARC-Approved Ateliers was at a place called Founders College (since closed), which was a private college for Objectivists, where men were men, women were women, and you're gonna paint that apple CORRECTLY.

This system produces people who are often able to achieve very accurate representations of what they see. The only problems with it are:
  • it doesn't teach you anything about how to compose a good picture, create stuff out of your own head, or exaggerate the aesthetic designs you see
  • there's no evidence that the artists of the 19th century learned this way or ever used these techniques. The great artists of history learned in a much more intuitive, humane way. They didn't train to be human cameras.

"OK OK, get to the :godwin: part."
:goonsay:

If you're following our story so far, you might be thinking, Neon Noodle, this obsession with romanticised European figurative art seems kind of… :godwin: ? And you would be CORRECT. One of the most insidious things about ARC is that they have pretty much re-invented the aesthetic philosophy of the Third Reich! Hooray! They're also totally tone-deaf about it. They don't see the similarities, and they can't imagine why their conception of art might be…problematic?

When ARC was founded in 2000, this wasn't really on anyone's minds (except, you know, us :jewish: but we're always whining so who cares). But the anti-modernism philosophy has influenced a LOT of younger artists. And this has taken place alongside the other aspects of neo-reactionary ressentiment, like the hatred of postmodernism, "SJWs," the rise of white nationalism, etc.

The ironic thing is that, folks like ARC don't view their beliefs as political in any way. They don't like it when art is "political." They want art to be about pretty maidens and heroic poses. They don't see that this, in itself, is a political viewpoint about the role of art in society and the acceptable political/social content of art.

The modern artists who were included in the Entartete Kunst exhibition didn't just make "ugly" art for no reason, or because they didn't know how to paint "correctly." They had opinions. They were often satirists and commentators on WWI and the state of Weimar society. Artists like Otto Dix:

Trench Warfare by Otto Dix

Or Max Beckmann:

The Night by Max Beckmann

Here's what the Fuhrer thought was "good" art:

The Rewards of Work by Gisbert Palmie

(fun fact, Hitler drew Disney fan art and watched Snow White and Pinocchio in his own private screening room)

ARC hates Modern Art. Like, a lot:

Fred Ross posted:

The modern world is a boiling cauldron of all sorts of great and absurd ideas, feelings, pathos, pathologies, psycho pathologies, humiliation, and dehumanizing ideas … and yet … yet even beauty, too, is still here amongst us, here in this hall and throughout the world, and her manifestations in modern times have been insufficiently expressed. So, find her in your homes, find her in the streets, find her in your communities and in nature, and especially, find her in each other … and save her … save her … protect and cherish her … and exalt her back to her rightful place … a place of supreme prominence, and bring her back into these our greatest institutions and our highest citadels of society and culture.

The concept of beauty/art as a woman who must be saved from the ravages of degeneracy is a recurring trope in Reactionary thought. Aside from being paternalistic as h*ck to women, it fits right in with other metaphorical notions of purity and virginity in peril.

THIS poo poo IS NOT INCIDENTAL TO REACTIONARY PHILOSOPHY. IT IS NOT JUST A SIDE-DISH. IT IS THE MAIN COURSE.

Hitler was an artist. His vision was an aesthetic vision. Reaction (and neoreaction) IS AN AESTHETIC PHILOSOPHY. In my opinion, it's an aesthetic philosophy MORE than it is a political philosophy. I don't think Fred Ross is a Nazi, or even any sort of political reactionary. But I think he's painfully naive if he can't see the connection between his aesthetic philosophy and the other times this philosophy has reared its head.

Also, his taste in art sucks.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

goodog posted:

I'm curious as to how ARC would respond to an artist like Kehinde Wiley. He has incredible technical abilities and bases much of his work on classical European paintings, but he also smashes it together with contemporary "lowbrow" black identity as a political statement.
Good question! Another angle to all this, of course, is that ARC is in part a scam to make a certain set of paintings "collectible" by the very wealthy. The value of new art is always contentious, and it's subject to arbitrage. With their racket, ARC can cherry-pick artists and deem their work worthy of a $$$$ price tag, outside of the power structure of the degenerate gay Jews of New York who control the modern art scene. So the liberal billionaires can collect Jeff Koons, and the conservative billionaires can collect "ARC Living Masters."

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

putrid aidsman posted:

Well, Boris is listed as an ARC Living Master™.

I am Dying™.

It's not even that the good ideas are "ancient," since the ARC prefers the academic art of the 19th century to about ALL of art history. Like, how does Ancient Greek pottery or sculpture (which was often highly stylized) fit into their aesthetic? How about Hieronymous Bosch? Japanese prints??? DJHRDIEBTJROSHEHRKFFJSUWHFHDJ YOUR ART THEORY DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE

:mad:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Also, according to Lyndon Larouche, the Beatles were a psyop by the Queen for global mind control. :allears:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

Aestheticism has had some powerful defenders - consider the foreword to The Picture of Dorian Grey for one of the most famous arguments in its favour. Essentially, the idea is that art's chief purpose is to beautify, not to instruct - it exists for its own sake, as something that elevates the human spirit, rather than as something with a mechanical purpose. 'Instrumentalist' is a very telling name - for them, art is an instrument in the vast mechanism of society, rather than something separate and spiritual.

Another key argument for aestheticism is a profound sense of moral relativism, and in particular a suspicion and disdain for your own culture's moral standards (so you can see why folks like Wilde can be drawn to it). If you reject the morality of your society - for instance, because it denies you the moral right to exist - then morality can become far less of a concern in your art than technical excellence. Political stances may come and go, as per this reasoning, but we can all admire something that clearly took an assload of effort and talent to make. Art, in this regard, is a unifier. An aestheticist might point out the Easter Island statues - yes, the effort of making them basically destroyed the islanders' civilisation and the long-term habitability of the island, but goddamn, look at that stonework.

Wilde was a deathbed convert to Catholicism (:psyduck:), as was fellow decadent Aubrey Beardsley. You can take the Irishman out of the extravagant homoerotic sadomasochism of the Church of Rome...etc.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

As always, even though according to HBDers the Asians and Ashkenazis are smarter than whites, white people rolled a higher CHA and thus remain the rightful master race.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

ate all the Oreos posted:

So what, Asians are just relegated to being mentats or something?
Or waifus

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

ikanreed posted:

Is white man with Asian woman somehow not against their anti-race-mixing rules?
If the prominent HBD advocates are anything to go by, it's their ideal formulation.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

https://undark.org/article/race-science-razib-khan-racism/

This is a good article. When I was doing research assisting for a paleo-diet-related book a number of years ago, I got really upset about the way I saw this poo poo going. I'm glad to see I wasn't crazy.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Silver2195 posted:

mainstream scientific consensus on human genetics is.
I'll try to give a rough outline as much as I can muster (I have a degree in bioanthropology and keep up with some of the stuff in this field).

The two key facts are:
1. Genetic influences on behavior are so dimly understood that we can't make meaningful predictions with the body of evidence that exists. And CERTAINLY not about populations.
2. The concept of "races" as a set of 5-10 meaningful categories for mankind is not supported by genetics.

As for genetics and behavior, there is so little to go on compared to all the other important environmental factors that there's barely even a point to discussing genes as a factor. Contrary to what HBDers say, no bioanthropologists doubt that there are genetic influences on behavior. What anthropology CAN'T do at this point is make specific claims (gene ABC leads to behavior XYZ), nor can anyone make population-level claims about genetic influences on behavior (i.e., the prevalence of gene ABC in population EFG is the cause of their better/worse behavior XYZ). You can extend "behavior" to include intelligence, seeing as we have no non-behavioral measures of intelligence. (That is, you can't determine a person's intelligence without asking them to perform a certain task, i.e., behave a certain way).

The human species is so inbred that our total level of genetic diversity is minuscule compared to, say, the genetic diversity of domestic dog breeds. Because of that, you can't lay out all the human populations of Earth and split them into categories big enough to be meaningfully thought of as "races." There are micro-ethnicities everywhere, for sure! Certain combinations of genes show up in particular locales, or make a gradient of allele frequencies across a geographic area (what the article was referring to as "clines"). But the categories we call "black" or "white" or "Asian" tell us only about a few outward physical features or a rough idea of what continent (some of your) ancestors come from. It doesn't reveal anything about your other genes, because the people we categorize as "black" or "white" or "Asian" can have almost any variant of any other gene you'd care to test for.

"Black" is a cultural category, not a useful genetic description. In the US, we take certain people, all of whom have completely distinct ethnic backgrounds, all of whom are genetically quite diverse, and all of whom have a different degree of genetic mixture from multiple continents, and throw them all in a bucket called "black". The label refers to what a person looks like, because that's what we can see. If I see a guy who has brown skin and a wide nose and thicker lips, as a white American I'm going to fixate on those genetic aspects of his appearance and categorize him based on that and that alone. He gets called "black." I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE REST OF HIS GENES except for the tautological fact that he has that skin tone or nose shape or mouth shape.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

All comics are loving stupid

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The rationalists aren't too different from the Objectivists/Rand, in the sense that they believe morality can be derived from logic. The people who went through Rand's pseudophilosophical cult (and got out the other side) came out with intense neuroses about why their emotional experience differed from their presumed objective ideal.

If anything, Rand was better because at least she valued products of the humanities (music, literature, movies, art) and paid some lip service to the philosophical tradition. These guys don't even do that.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

There are sincere people who genuinely believe in HBD, but that the diversity doesn't fall along conventionally broad racial categories. For example, people like Razib Khan who have enough understanding of population genetics to know how many haplogroups there can be in any given geographic region.

Of course, the vast majority of HBDers don't have any education in biology, and they couldn't care less that some villagers in Kazakhstan have the QRSTU-3 allele that makes them best able to digest lactose of any population. They want HBD to be about racism.

It's not that there isn't human biodiversity, it's just not nearly as interesting or important as "HBD" people believe.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

When you're presented with an argument, whether you agree or disagree with it, the proper response is not to begin listing logical fallacies as if finding enough of them or finding the right one will provide a good comeback. Logical fallacies are the structure of a problem with many arguments but they are not the content of the problem. The actual content of a problem with an argument is the reason why the logical fallacy in this case makes the argument break down.
Given this, then, once you've found the fallacy, you would still need to explain why the fallacy is, in this specific case, an instance of fallacious reasoning.
This two step process is redundant and unhelpful - instead of first identifying the fallacy and only later explaining why the fallacy is an instance of fallacious reasoning, you should train yourself to hone in on the fallacious reasoning directly.
Let's just go with a simple example:
You argue that it would be wrong to stab my neighbor and take all their stuff. I reply that you have an ugly face. I commit the "ad hominem" fallacy because I'm attacking you, not your argument. So one thing you could do is yell "OI, AD HOMINEM, NOT COOL."
Does that solve anything? No, actually. You've just thrown Latin at me. There's probably a name for the fallacy you've just committed, or maybe there isn't, who gives a poo poo. What you need to do is go one step more and say "the ugliness of my face has no bearing on moral judgments about whether it is okay to stab your neighbor."
But notice you could've just said that without yelling "ad hominem" first! In fact, that's how all fallacies work. If someone has actually committed a fallacy, you can just point out their mistake directly without being a pedant and finding a pat little name for all of their logical reasoning problems.
If you talk to genuine philosophers (particularly good ones) for a while, you'll basically never hear them talk about the names of fallacies. The only one I think I've ever heard people use is "affirming the consequent," and that's just when they're talking about simple mistakes undergraduates make. Real people who work with arguments are interested in the actual argument, not cool sounding labels you can use to dismiss your interlocutor.
No matter how fallacious someone's reasoning is, I encourage you, in the future, you take on arguments as genuine arguments, not as opportunities to list a bunch of fallacies and then peace out as if you've done anything useful or interesting or smart.

Read my book on the subject here

I appreciate this Very Good Post. However you need to understand that I will DIE on the hill that is using the term "begs the question" correctly.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND FRIEND

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Forager societies have a later onset of menarche. :colbert: Civilization is hastening puberty for various reasons, some known and some unknown.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Logical fallacies are Pokémon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

TinTower posted:

Apparently an increasing proportion of trans women are becoming primitivists and I don't get it either?
What? Really? Is this at all related to Deep Green Resistance being RadFem?