Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

DrProsek posted:

"Hmm, closing this out with 'I used to be leftist but then I became a little poo poo, anyway I hope tumblr and /pol/ notice me' seems weak, but what if I keep saying "Cenozoic" and quadruple the wordcount..."

Why is he referring to geological eras anyway?

I presume he redefines the terms somewhere or is he just using them as allusions to current as opposed to from a previous and now outdated era? Even if so though that is drat lovely writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Having read through a chunk of his article he does make it a theme and hence it does make sense in context. Still stupidly overwrought.

quote:

"Everyone has their own stratigraphy of the Internet which reflects their own history with it. I myself regard the Internet before 1997 as a Paleozoic world full of creatures endowed with an Edenic elegance and an unfinished roughness ... I admire this age very much, and contemplating the remains of their beautiful, austere web-pages, ... fills me with the same meditative calm of studying paleontology."

"We enter the Mesozoic when proles like your author found out about the Internet and the Cenozoic began in 2005 along with Youtube."

I'm currently more boggling at terms like "melopepocephalic" which apparently only shows up in that article and when trying to find the root of the term it leads me to a species of dolphin. Looking at the etymology of the dolphin name is not any more enlightening. Melo just means song.

Stupid poo poo like "melopepocephalic" and "dentifrices" (does loaning a word from French make you erudite these days?) aside it is a pretty good summary of the rise and fall of LF which could have been told in half the length.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

They saw REAL philosophers use big words sometimes so therefore if they act like that people will recognize them as real philosophers. Which is funny in its own right, because a huge part of philosophy that I've noticed is trying to condense an argument down into its most basic elements and express them simply so there's very little ambiguity and much less surface area for counter-arguments to latch on to.

Also melopepocephalic:

melo - "song" according to Munin
pepo - Latin / Ancient Greek for "a large melon"
cephalic - Having the specified type of head or brain

So... song-melon head? Singing melon head maybe?

EDIT: "melopepo" as a single root being a squash makes more sense - squash-headed like LordSaturn said

Looking at it naively it means having some characteristics of the melon-headed dolphin. What type of people this is supposed to denote I have no idea.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Also if he is coming from a Maoist view then you have the whole combat liberalism thing as well:
https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/selected-works/volume-2/mswv2_03.htm

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Nope, see my above post! Your brain wasn't working on the right wavelength of stupid

I just had a look at your link and it was a vision of madness.

Koanic Soul posted:

Cro-Magnon man began in Africa, another dull hominid going nowhere, until the Melonheads decided that the Neanderthal threat had to be dealt with. After several other attempts failed due to Neanderthal robustness and cave-dwelling survivability, they hit upon the plan of creating a genetically engineered slave army to overwhelm the Neanderthals in their home territory.

To accomplish this, they mixed existing African hominid DNA with chimp and rhesus monkey DNA, among other things, to create a hyper-social, highly malleable, highly aggressive and warlike race. They armed them with spear-thrower technology and sent them north into Europe with instructions to eradicate the Neanderthals.

This original personality template can be seen today in the way the lower end of the Homo Sapiens Sapiens masses absorb “command phrases,” regiment their societies along religious/tribal affiliation, and are always going to war whenever any sort of pretext presents itself. Yet if you get to know an individual Sapiens, you will find a hollow, empty individual with no self awareness, independence of thought, or internal integrity.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ArchangeI posted:

protip: if you refer to your partner as your mate (and aren't, like, British), don't be surprised if they treat you like a dog.

"It was arranged with her father so I knew she had a good set of genes."

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

coyo7e posted:

I have literally had a hardcore self-diagnosed aspergers conservative/libertarian/etc brag to me about how he was the captain of a yacht and a crew of dozens of men when he was in high school. Right now he's working at Gamestop and has a wife who's having her fourth or fifth miscarriage (she may or may not be dying her hair to match the number of M-C's) because, well, being a cashier at gamestop is apparently the epitome of solid family-starting time when you're an ubermensch.

The sad fact that a cashier job (or three) is what many people have to rely on to raise their family out of necessity. I am sure though that our budding ubermensch and captain of industry does not see himself in that set though.

RE gay marriage. I always love how self proclaimed freedom and liberty loving types always seem to get off on telling other people they are acting wrong and thinking wrong and things like gay marriage always bring this to the fore.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

The thing about this attitude that always gets me is that nobody ever suggests fixing people, they just leap towards killing or sterilizing them. You want more educated people in the world, and fewer stupid people? Why not try educating them? I mean, durr. But I suppose that might mean confronting certain notions about the justness of the world and one's own superiority within it.

Well, one of the basic tenets many of these people hold dear is that the various forms of untermensch are just not educable.

Birth is destiny! Blood will be true! (Please ignore age old maxims like "The first one makes it, the second one keeps it and the third wastes it." or the fact that we are in fact all humans with remarkably little variation.)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

So the very correct contrarian is not doing this survey to weed out all the people who will very confidently state what they believe is the truth about something that they have never studied.

I wonder why he might not be considering that approach...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

lol @ "tracing to Schopenhauer"

What a beautiful rational appeal to authority; not to mention mock intellectualism at its finest.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ronwayne posted:

So weird reactionary wannabe space nobles battle against the concept of space-future-satan. Add some potato men wearing refrigerators and hitting each other with chainsaws and you basically have warhammer 40k.

They'd probably also be up for a giant space furnace to feed plebs into to power their omniscient godhead.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

This article linked from it is really great at showing some of the pitfalls AIs fall into:
http://sodeepdude.blogspot.it/2015/03/deepminds-atari-paper-replicated.html

One of the thing I find interesting is how in basically all examples the neural network has real problems identifying and avoiding loss conditions.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

A Man With A Plan posted:

What do you think?

Also I don't get how penis size is supposed to correlate with more success with the ladies. It's not like they have magic penis vision to see your tiny weiner and turn you down early. If it's at the point where they're seeing your junk you've basically succeeded.

"Lady, please look at my mighty codpiece."
\

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

In other Reactionary rear end in a top hat Bullshit news, the Hugo awards were tonight and the "Sad Puppies" nominees lost to "No Award" nearly across the board, except when they lost to a translation of a foreign work.

The results for the Novellas category were particularly brutal:

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/635330705275375616

lol "@GamerGateManFort"

My mental picture that goes with that handle is hilarious.

https://twitter.com/arthur_affect/status/635360041382473728

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Here is the Sadpuppies saying they won after all post btw:
http://voxday.blogspot.se/2015/08/hugo-2015-results.html

Remember: SJWs always lie.

[edit] Also, he wanted to burn down the best comic category with "No Award" because of too much woman and colored:
http://voxday.blogspot.se/2015/07/hugo-recommendations-2015.html

Though of course he doesn't directly state so himself. You have supporters in the comments filling in the blanks for him instead

Munin has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Aug 23, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Pierson posted:

Nah he does state it if you do a Ctrl-F for 'graphic novel':
That's not VD though?

His reply was:

quote:

It was on the Rabid Puppy nomination list and it's on the ballot ... so why No Award?

It is my gift to les chiots incendiaires. They wanted to burn down everything. I gave them one category this year. I am kind.

"my gift ... I am kind."

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Talking about transhumanism, AI etc; does anyone have any idea who in the BBC news room it is who has a bee in their bonnet about AI? I've been seeing more and more articles about AI and automation on BBC News recently. It might also be a case of confirmation bias though...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Merdifex posted:

People who aren't racist xenophobes are "beep-boops" says Wesley.

http://severnayazemlya.tumblr.com/post/130083155618/davidsevera-i-would-be-more-intrigued-by-people

I mean, how can you type this poo poo out with a straight face. But sure, preserve our thede or whatever.

Article posted:

Given that progressive movements have, in the past, managed to destroy the country of Rhodesia and replace the government of South Africa

Great and awful tragedies to lay at the feet of progressives.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Well one thing that can be said about anime is that a sizeable amount of it has a really unreconstructed view of women and that rape is often normalised. Not to mention that huge breasts (and the bigger and more pneumatic the better), wide hips and thin waists who are hanging off the male hero are an ideal of womanhood that they are more than happy to indulge in.

Basically if you are an MRA or NRx their is plenty of anime and manga that you could happily nod along to.

That said their is also a lot of manga and anime which is not MRA/NRx fodder and they tend to either be unaware it exists (since it doesn't get raved about in their echo chamber) or they totally misread. Occasionally that leads to hilarious outbursts like that one guy's about Avatar when it turns out the creators were not really on the same wavelength as some of their "fans".

Quick thing about the good post further up:

Curvature of Earth posted:

Two, the industry that produces anime is itself broken, with the vast bulk of their products defined by lazy formulas, tired cliches, and rank bigotry.

Most of that could be applied to most of the general output of the film, cartoon and book industries outside Japan as well.

The main differentiator I'd draw is that in Japan there was for a long time much laxer censorship laws than their were in the US especially but in the European markets as well and also that the market has been much less centralized and there is a much wider range of more niche output slightly more widely available. That means you do get some stuff getting published which would never be in other markets. In addition, Japan, as does France, does have a tradition of also having a section of material much more aimed at adult audiences which is much less of a thing in the US in part due to the long standing comic book codes forbidding the depiction of nearly anything morally dubious in comics. Dingodossier is not aimed at kids neither is stuff like the stuff produced by Enki Bilal or the Decalogue.

This of course does not speak about anyone who is fanatical about anime because they have only been following things like Naruto, Bleach and Dragonball into their 40s.

Munin has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Oct 17, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Not to spring the weeaboo trap but part of the reason why there's so much garbage anime is that the actual market for heavy anime watchers is pretty much entirely made up of antisocial young men who are willing to spend hundreds on figurines and blu ray releases. This niche has also been shrinking for a while and big parts of the industry are locked into the spiral with it.

Yup. The same kind of trap comic book publishers in the US had run into. Then they had their most recent revival when they managed to get the properties out to more mainstream audiences and make them more inclusive overall (with much wailing and gnashing of teeth by NRx style people and "traditional" fans).

I will be amused if that starts happening in manga and anime and we get to see another set of meltdowns by some of these people.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

PYF Psychoanalysis Of Anime Fans

1+3=4
40/10=4
(1+3)=(40/10)
NRx ≈ Anime Fans

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

quote:

“This is why horrible STEM engineers like Scott shouldn’t be allowed to talk about the social sciences, except by checking the privilege and retweeting everything I say.”

“Actually, he’s a psyc–”

“Shut up and don’t mansplain to me, sexist”

quote:

I didn’t need any more of that “everyone who disagrees with my hateful and narrowminded take on gender relations is a misogynist” crap in my life. It’s sad to think that metafilter has become a worse echochamber than tumblr.

quote:

Do you not think that feminist theory’s foundations are as solid as heliocentrism’s?

What is this metafilter place, anyway, what is its stated purpose?

Nice.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cingulate posted:

The philosophy of libertarianism - not Ayn Rand, but e.g. Nozick, Hayek, whatever - is a direct and radical consequence of classical liberalism, and very much about freedom in at least one philosophically justifiable sense.

Not that I think it's shown itself to lead to good outcomes wrt. freedom in any way whatsoever, but to deny that its foundational texts are liberal in intent and context is just a display of ignorance.

At this point it's not much different from arguing that the Soviet Union wasn't really true to communist philosophy. It would be correct but also rather futile.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Well you won't see me putting up a defense of Randianism and Tea Party-style libertarianism any time soon.

Yup, that is pretty clear and never implied otherwise.

The only point I was making is that it's usage in modern discourse is very much divorced from its historical roots. It's basically saying: "These different people with a totally different philosophy used the same term." It is correct but not really pertinent. Not to mention that modern day libertarians have much, much less institutional and philosophical connections to the people you mention than the Soviets have with Marx which was my example.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Bioware has been putting lovely romance storylines into their games as far back as Baldur's Gate, long before "Cultural Marxism" was ever conceived by reactionary nerds.

Baldur's Gate 2 even had mods to add more romantic interests to the game, and spoiler alert: those modders weren't women.

That said that game had a larger female fanbase than many other traditional RPGs (or at least a more vocally self identified one) and that was in part due to the more prominent romance/relationship elements. It was also a reason why there was a certain controversy about Anomen being the only male romanceable character and who was, let's say, not universally beloved by the fanbase.

Not to say that there were also a ssubset of creepsters but you have that for practically any bit of media.

Munin has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Oct 24, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The World Fantasy Awards has announced that their awards will no longer be a bust of Lovecraft.

Be prepared for a storm of reactionary tears.

What was the reason they gave?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

also the actual answer for why the far-right likes other cultures is because it believes in a culture war might makes right sort of social darwinism. there's no contradiction in Hitler praising the Japanese because the Nazi worldview considered different cultures to be fighting to the death for supremacy. the Germans must defeat the Slavs to triumph just like the Japanese must defeat the Chinese. and at that point in time the Japanese were pretty successful in stomping their East Asian neighbors, for in Hitler's opinion, good for them.

Bird of a feather flock together.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Even modern Tokyo was basically heavily engineered to shove all the undesirables into ghettos, and the parts of the city that everyone will tell you are "full of gangs and criminals" are often the old Korean and undesirable neighborhoods where lower class people used to live but these days are just as safe, if not safer, then most of the "nice" parts of Tokyo.

I know of at least one English banker from a superior background who is uncomfortable heading to Farringdon because it is dangerously close to the wrong side of town. If you live in London you would know how ridiculous that is.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

loving seriously? That area is like 50% start-up businesses and 30% places to get lunch.

Admittedly that was about 10 years ago before places like Shoreditch got colonised. Farringdon was very much as it is today though... Not to mention that it is only ten minutes walk if that from the headquarter of BoA Merril Lynch in London and the outskirts of the City in general.

Context btw is lunch meeting and a query whether Farringdon would be acceptable with an added assurance that it was indeed more respectable these days.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

That's why self reported, unverified surveys are seen as the lowest kind of bullshit in research only to be used when no other source of information is feasibly accessible.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Degenerate popular music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrytKuC3Z_o

Oh, sorry that's what people were snobbish about 50 years ago reactionism has moved on these days to more contemporary targets.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I for some reason would like to see the reaction of some people discussed in this thread to this little news snippet:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/06/08/nigerian-student-ufot-ekong-solves-30-year-old-maths-equation_n_7533358.html

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

BobHoward posted:

One of the funnier things about Clarkhat is that he drank all of the koolaid and thinks it proves Moldbug is some kind of visionary genius technologist

Clark is one of these strange people who seems to have drunk all the koolaids.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cingulate posted:

So now I'm confused. For a neoreactionary, is this a pro or con for open borders? What's the consensus amongst Dark Enlightenment people; Dark Ages, good or bad? (Considering monarchy is good, natural selection weeding out the poor is good, etc.)

Well, if they are fully committed to to the ancient feudal model then open borders very bad since free movements allows their Lessers to escape to less odious overlords.

But of course they are muddled on the affair since their philosophy is a self-contradictory, fantastical, bag of poo poo.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ronwayne posted:

Note, certain individuals within the NCR need to be set on fire, but those are individuals, not the entire thing.

I've been listening to this very good set of podcasts on the French Revolution and that sentiment is very much present there. You run through a set of people in control at various times each of whom have their idea of who needs to be set on fire. Then then each do so until nearly everyone of note is dead or has managed to flee half way around the world.

On a slightly tangential note, I still find it crazy that Revolutionary France managed to run any kind of war effort when their policy towards their generals was to hand one their commission, guillotine them when they lose a battle and then move on to the next one until they managed to get a couple who didn't lose.

[edit]

I was triggered, that lovely music was especially triggering.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What is the podcast?

It's called, appropriately enough, Revolutions:
http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

He just finished the section on the French Revolution and just kicked off his stuff on the Haitian revolution.

Other aside, weep at the Republic of Virtue.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Deport The Irish posted:

Well, if Robespierre hadn't been ousted, I'm sure he would have gleefully exterminated the French to save France.

Even well before Robespierre got going properly you had already had about three or four rounds of previous stout revolutionaries who ended up on the wrong side of a political fight getting guillotined. Often the very people who orchestrated the removal of the previous heads getting chopped a few months/weeks later. Robespierre being of course an example of that.

The other thing to note is that the Great Terror had a pre-Robespierre run-up. That run-up also had the biggest atrocities occurring in France in general as opposed to focused in Paris. There were brutal reprisals against several cities which didn't want to get with the program dictated by Paris and that then also led to more general purges of people seen to foment that kind of federalism.

Finally, they didn't quite get to Pol Pot levels in part because dear old Robespierre did get stopped in his tracks. Not having really read up about Pol Pot I don't know why no-one ended up stepping in there.

[edit] Any of the NRxers worship Napoleon btw or is he too dangerously French for them?

vv I have. It is indeed good stuff as well.

Munin has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Dec 12, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Klaus88 posted:

But Napoleon wasn't even French in the first place! :qqsay:

Next you'll tell me that these towelheads aren't Muslim! :colbert:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Peztopiary posted:

I have a hard time thinking of something that doesn't threaten the dudes of the NRx. Even if they triumphed utterly they'd still have to be on the lookout for a resurgence of Leftist thought, what with Cthulhu and his swimming.

Well, especially since even after "defeating" all that opposes them they'll still have all the same problems they have now only they'll have to cast out even further for external factors to blame those on.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

This story is perfect fodder for neo-reactionaries and race realists! It has everything, the empirically guided revolutionary from the deep south, a set of heterodox ideas about race and the establishment bias systematically marginalising his work. The establishment (dare I say Cathedral) then enshrining a professor from the North who uses a thin veneer of empiricism to cover up his race agenda as the first properly empirical sociologist in the US:
http://berkeleyjournal.org/2016/01/the-case-for-scholarly-reparations/

Well, it would be if the Southern Revolutionary wasn't black, talked about race as a social construct etc and the Northern Establishment guy was someone who talked about people of colour having to overcome their "savage" natures and the likes.

Btw, it's a good article but I would thoroughly recommend reading through to the later sections as some of the opening paragraphs shine more heat than light in my opinion. People will differ on that sentiment though.

P.S. I am not a social scientist so if people have beef about that article I'd be interested hearing about it but probably better via PM unless the criticism has direct bearing on NRXers or the like.

Munin has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Jan 12, 2016

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Not putting your damp hand into a plug socket will also prevent electric shocks and is a better way of preventing it than just drying your hands.

Is "unproblematized" a word, and if so what does it mean?

Well, to "problematise" something is a fashionable thing in certain circles and generally implies critically re-examining something previously taken as read. It usually involves unpacking the social prejudices and preconceptions involved.

Of course critical thought is not what they're after only slavish adherence to their preconception so let's not have any of that poo poo TYVM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Engaging with politics means engaging in society and that of course can't really be contemplated as a possibility.