Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

If people disagreeing with you in a dismissive manner causes suicidal urges, you probably shouldn't be on the internet. Like that's either just a blanket excuse to justify refusing criticism or someone who needs to be in some for of medical observation at all times.

when I was a suicidally depressed teen with major brain problems i used to get suicidal urges when someone or something i liked expressed an opinion of a certain kind that i at the time considered both wrong and about an important topic. something about the internet being my escape from the rest of the awful world yet still running into "awful" people did it.

then i got therapy and treatment and realized there's better things to do with my time than hateread so to borrow E/N's line :sever: from this thread and seek therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Why the gently caress is it Gamergaters feel the need to invade discussions everywhere they go? I don't loving read Kotaku in Action or watch Thunderfoot videos, but these fuckers feel the need to intrude any discussion everywhere.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DStecks posted:

Why the gently caress is it Gamergaters feel the need to invade discussions everywhere they go? I don't loving read Kotaku in Action or watch Thunderfoot videos, but these fuckers feel the need to intrude any discussion everywhere.
For the same reason the same sort of people were telling everyone to "google loose change" and "Bush did 9/11" a decade ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DStecks posted:

It's the same reason religious people with pamphlets get in your face when you're trying to walk somewhere. The only thing in their lives that gives them any sense of meaning causes them to never shut up about it. Except instead of religion these people have hatred for all women.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Also, righteousness. They're morally and ideologically correct and they've got a duty to save you from the aGG/the Leftists. Anyone can be convinced with logic (after all, they were) and you've got a moral duty to convert as many as possible to the Right Way of being. Humans are really prone to cult formation.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

DStecks posted:

You do realize that there are people of every possible political/social/religious leanings that are rear end in a top hat preachy ideologues right?

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

420 Gank Mid posted:

You do realize that there are people of every possible political/social/religious leanings that are rear end in a top hat preachy ideologues right?

#NotOnlyGamerGate

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

I don't know any other political leaning or affiliation whose invasiveness makes it as impossible to discuss them. I'm not talking about people being preachy, I'm talking about any mention of feminism causing these people to crawl out of the woodwork like cockroaches.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's because it's nerds feeling defensive about their lifestyle and political views. You are on a forum/forums that are populated almost exclusively by nerds. It's like trying to discuss taxes in an engineering workplace without libertarians overrunning the conversation.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

But like cockroaches there is only one solution.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Oh good, tulpas make their triumphant return to PYF. Last time it was the brony mock thread way back in like 2012 and they were trying to make imaginary friend cartoon ponies and instead gave themselves meditation-induced schizophrenia.

The tumblr thread has taken off. One of the tankies got hold of it and now all his friends are WTFing at HPMOR and Quirrellmort and tulpas aaaaand well it looks like this hilariously terrible and dangerous idea is quite firmly out there and being thoughtfully evaluated by third parties.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It's also funny because you run into what Ian M. Banks called the Simming Problem which is basically you've created a lifeform in your head and now you've got responsibilities towards it. Certainly there are a few ways to resolve the dilemma, but for people who are inclined to believe we're also simulations the most expedient (stop devoting part of your brain to a parasite) is problematic at best.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Peztopiary posted:

It's also funny because you run into what Ian M. Banks called the Simming Problem which is basically you've created a lifeform in your head and now you've got responsibilities towards it. Certainly there are a few ways to resolve the dilemma, but for people who are inclined to believe we're also simulations the most expedient (stop devoting part of your brain to a parasite) is problematic at best.
Couldn't you just dissolve your Persona back into the sea of the unconsciousness or something? Maybe not everything is exactly like modern electronic computer design.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Well sure, but a tulpa and a Persona are different things. Tulpas are significantly more individualized than a Persona. Your version of Coyote is not just the Trickster wearing a mask. As for it being too computer oriented that's a legit complaint, but I'm trying to talk in their idiom.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

even the ferrets aren't safe from tulpagate

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nessus posted:

Couldn't you just dissolve your Persona back into the sea of the unconsciousness or something? Maybe not everything is exactly like modern electronic computer design.

For people actually invested in that stuff it'd be like killing a pet or a friend.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's because it's nerds feeling defensive about their lifestyle and political views. You are on a forum/forums that are populated almost exclusively by nerds. It's like trying to discuss taxes in an engineering workplace without libertarians overrunning the conversation.

I think it's even more that there are a bunch of people in the movement that just plain can't tolerate any questioning of their views, so they fight like motherfuckers to try and shout it down, aiming for that one sweet day when nobody bothers to say that maybe the uncritical pursuit of video game escapism as lifestyle is at best a hollow, sad endeavor. In short, probably untreated mental illness.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

For people actually invested in that stuff it'd be like killing a pet or a friend.

Some of them find themselves wholly unable to get rid of the thing and it starts tormenting them because it's not the real rainbow dash it's just a schizophrenic voice in their head with the projected body of rainbow dash.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
Wait, I don't understand.

Rationalists are getting headmates now?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

It's the same reason religious people with pamphlets get in your face when you're trying to walk somewhere. The only thing in their lives that gives them any sense of meaning causes them to never shut up about it. Except instead of religion these people have hatred for all women.

I'd hate them less if they converted to Mormonism and became door to door missionaries, because at least then I could close the door in their faces.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

crazypenguin posted:

In the same way that "goons are" doing so; i.e. they're a weird nerd community so they have weird nerd subgroups, but that particular one (like most) wouldn't usefully generalize to the whole. There's definitely a thread of interest in occultism among the "post-rationalist" crowd (which is broader and more interesting than the DE-adjacent Twitter clique that this thread, not unjustly, loves to mock.)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Some of them find themselves wholly unable to get rid of the thing and it starts tormenting them because it's not the real rainbow dash it's just a schizophrenic voice in their head with the projected body of rainbow dash.

Wait, are you saying that these people are genuinely self-inducing schizophrenia? Because that does not sound medically possible.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Schizotypal disorders are a thing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DStecks posted:

Wait, are you saying that these people are genuinely self-inducing schizophrenia? Because that does not sound medically possible.

They're inducing hallucinations through repeated, practiced meditation specifically attempting to induce hallucinations. I can't really say if the underlying brain mechanisms are the same as in "real" schizophrenia but the symptoms sure are similar. Meditation is surprisingly good at doing weird poo poo to your brain, both good and bad.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Here's a scholarly article about it to back it up since I know it just sounds like new-age bullshit at face value: http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/108125

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

crazypenguin posted:

A handy tip (:smaug: or a Bayesian Prior if you prefer) is that if you have to self-identify as rational you probably aren't.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The while loving point of tulpas is the come to the understanding that it was all in your head to begin with anyway, the stupid shits.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Friendship is magic

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DE and asianophiles not understanding the underlying messages in things, color me shocked when their dogma is meant to be idiosyncratic.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Annointed posted:

DE and asianophiles not understanding the underlying messages in things

nydwracu posted:

And yet, when I quote Satsuki Kiryuin, people think I’m joking.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
But...Satsuki was the bad guy...her philosophy was completely useless and she only got anywhere by abandoning fascism. That wasn't even subtle, it was a huge obvious plot point the entire second half of the series hinged on!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I thought kotaku was a site about anime titties, why are those dorks mad at it now?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

WickedHate posted:

But...Satsuki was the bad guy...her philosophy was completely useless and she only got anywhere by abandoning fascism. That wasn't even subtle, it was a huge obvious plot point the entire second half of the series hinged on!

Exactly.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Forgall posted:

I thought kotaku was a site about anime titties, why are those dorks mad at it now?

They post about video games without being gamergaters, therefore they bad.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

when I was a suicidally depressed teen with major brain problems i used to get suicidal urges when someone or something i liked expressed an opinion of a certain kind that i at the time considered both wrong and about an important topic. something about the internet being my escape from the rest of the awful world yet still running into "awful" people did it.

then i got therapy and treatment and realized there's better things to do with my time than hateread so to borrow E/N's line :sever: from this thread and seek therapy
But therapy didn't help you cope better with those situations when they did occur (besides for making you more stable in your life in general), it just helped you make the choices required to encounter such situations less often? Or am I misreading you?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tumblr rationalist posted:

I, for one, love H. P. Lovecraft, the person, in an uncomplicated, unproblematized way. He was an adorable attic-hermit Traditionalist cat person neurotic socially-anxious NERD and when I read about him I always think “that’s My Kind Of Person”. He is Ingroup.

HPL posted:

The only thing that makes life endurable where Blacks abound is the Jim Crow principle, and I wish they'd apply it in New York both to Niggers and to the more Asiatic types of puffy, ratfaced Jews!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cingulate posted:

But therapy didn't help you cope better with those situations when they did occur (besides for making you more stable in your life in general), it just helped you make the choices required to encounter such situations less often? Or am I misreading you?

Not putting your damp hand into a plug socket will also prevent electric shocks and is a better way of preventing it than just drying your hands.

Is "unproblematized" a word, and if so what does it mean?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

WickedHate posted:

These are people who go around calling themselves 'Sith Lords' thinking it makes them look clever. "But what if...the bad guy had a point and was actually just Making Hard Choices!" is the damp poo poo these idiots germinate in.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Josef bugman posted:

Is "unproblematized" a word, and if so what does it mean?

When rationalists like a lovely person, they aren't liking said person as is, but a more meta conception of them where they're not a lovely person. Here's how you rationally go about being friends with neoreactionaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Merdifex posted:

When rationalists like a lovely person, they aren't liking said person as is, but a more meta conception of them where they're not a lovely person. Here's how you rationally go about being friends with neoreactionaries.

To be fair I would say that's how most people feel about most celebrities they like.

The weirdness comes from trying to justify it. You can't just pull back the curtain, push it back down and then expect everyone to carry on like they didn't see what's on the other side of the curtain