Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Me and a couple of friends want to go to Austria for a week in January for some snowboarding. One of our group is fairly competent and I'm able to mostly not fall-over, everyone else will need a nice and easy slope to get used to. We also possibly want to have a wee husky sledding adventure day - we've never done any kind of sledding before.

Can anyone recommend nice areas of Austria that are likely to have good (beginner) snowboarding slopes and somewhere more or less nearby with dog sledding? Budget is pretty key here so we can't fork out on fancy 5-star chalets or anything.

I can remember some very basic German from school that should be enough to ask for directions and asking for the cost of a bus journey and stuff. For more complex things, generally how good are most Austrians at English? I figure at a touristy place like a ski resort it'll be easier to get by. Also, any cultural etiquette I should be aware of that's different from the UK?

Cheers for any help! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Me and a couple of friends want to go to Austria for a week in January for some snowboarding. One of our group is fairly competent and I'm able to mostly not fall-over, everyone else will need a nice and easy slope to get used to. We also possibly want to have a wee husky sledding adventure day - we've never done any kind of sledding before.

Can anyone recommend nice areas of Austria that are likely to have good (beginner) snowboarding slopes and somewhere more or less nearby with dog sledding? Budget is pretty key here so we can't fork out on fancy 5-star chalets or anything.

I can remember some very basic German from school that should be enough to ask for directions and asking for the cost of a bus journey and stuff. For more complex things, generally how good are most Austrians at English? I figure at a touristy place like a ski resort it'll be easier to get by. Also, any cultural etiquette I should be aware of that's different from the UK?

Cheers for any help! :)

Basically any major ski resort (e.g. Iscghl, Fieberbrunn) will have plenty of beginner level slopes. It depends what you mean by "beginner" though. If it's "has never skied before" then there will only one (maybe two) bunny slopes and there's probably a hill near you that's easier and cheaper to learn how to ski on. If it's "beginner" like "has skiied 5-6 times, not good" then that should be fun still.

Austria's a lot cheaper than Switzerland, but you might also consider going to Chamonix like every other British person does in winter. It's a little cheaper than Austria, and it's an English speaking colony.

No idea about the dog sledding. Never seen anyone doing it anywhere in the Alps though I imagine it exists.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Zillertal, St.Anton, Sölden are all pretty great. Those are really big ski areas with stuff to do for everyone. Not sure if all of them have dog sledding.

Speaking English should be no big problem and it is possible to find appartments for reasonable prices everywhere. Can't really do much wrong tbh, you'll have a great time and I'm jealous!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You'll get more/better replies in the ski/snowboard thread in YLLS, by the way.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Question Mark Mound posted:

Ski the Schmittenhohe in Zell Am See. They have great beginner snowboarding slopes at the top. Most people speak relatively good English in the area. Find a Pension, they have reasonable room rates, but they also fill up fast so book early. I believe there are also Hostels in the area, and plenty of people rent out their cabins, if you have enough people with you that can end up being very reasonable too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkmaztafox
Dec 9, 2007

"What's it going to be then, eh?"
2nd for Zillertal. Amazing runs, nice town (myrhofen), and they have a 7km tobogganing run that is still the most ive ever laughed in my life. Basically you and your pals each get on your own little wooden sled and scream down this (snow-covered) access road. So much loving fun.

• Locked thread