Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm looking into "monetizing" my painting hobby. I've heard many positive comments from people about my artwork and how I should sell it.

-I'm wondering how I go about calculating the costs of materials, and what else I should consider (hours put into it? profit margins?). For my work, frames constitute about 95% of the cost of the piece. I have to purchase them for every piece, and they're around $30-50. Paint is only purchased every 6 months or so for around $20.

-Pricing? I have no idea how to even calculate that. Art it so subjective in terms of price. Some go for $100, others for $5000. Depends on the notoriety of the artist, the cost of materials, etc. I guess I'd want to go lower because I'm a nobody, but how low?

-Etsy store, or stay local? An Etsy store would have a much larger audience, but I'd have to consider shipping costs.

-Frame prints or originals? Originals net more value per piece, but prints can be continuously sold and are much cheaper. However there's a cost associated with photographing, printing, and framing prints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread