Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Marshmallow Blue posted:

11. Marshmallow Blue - Marshmallow Brews

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I kinda like the turn. Lots of time for bathroom breaks.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
I tried sending out a couple of emails (through the site) a few days back about exploring some pick trades, but I haven't heard anything back. Did they go through? I think I sent one to Ben Nevis and Marshmallow Blue, who are far enough from my 6th spot to make for some interesting possibilities. Drop me a line on the site if you're interested.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Forever_Peace posted:

I tried sending out a couple of emails (through the site) a few days back about exploring some pick trades, but I haven't heard anything back. Did they go through? I think I sent one to Ben Nevis and Marshmallow Blue, who are far enough from my 6th spot to make for some interesting possibilities. Drop me a line on the site if you're interested.

Sorry, I was on vacation and didn't check much of any internet for about a week. I did receive mine however,
Unfortunately NFL.com only allows draft trades within the season and not before the draft.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Sorry, I was on vacation and didn't check much of any internet for about a week. I did receive mine however,
Unfortunately NFL.com only allows draft trades within the season and not before the draft.

Hm... I actually wouldn't advise trading picks in-season, because we settled on a pick order determined by keepers and drops, which we won't know until a few weeks prior to next year's FA/rookie draft. The time to trade picks for next year is after the FA pool (and keepers) has been decided, but before the draft, which is the situation we are actually in this week already.

In any case, I think on nfl.com, it's typical for the commish to manually carry out pick trades by editing the draft board (under "manage" -> "customize draft board"). Is this something you are willing (and have time) to do this year if people can agree on trades before the draft? Feel free to set a deadline as commish.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Ok looking into this has put a bump in the road. Here's what I've found out.

1. Yes, I will be able to swap individual draft positions. But you have to switch equal amount of slots. Ex:
Trade pick 1 and 24 for two other picks, you can't give your first pick for a 3rd and 4th round. It will be up to team owners to figure out which picks they are trading. If you do decide to trade picks. Please post in the thread as so.

Team Name - Picks trading away - Picks getting
Team Name - Picks trading away - picks getting

The soft deadline for this is 11:59 PM Thursday (I get to work around 9 Eastern and will load them in from there)

The other thing I ran into is for next years keepers/ draft. All 15 Keepers for each team will be marked as rounds 1-15 and the draft will be rounds 16-22. This might make trading picks a bit easier next season as you can trade a pick for a player and not worry about keeping two players in round 10 or what have you.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Great, thanks for being game for the manual pick trades! Speaking of which, send me an email if you want to conspire about picks together and make everybody else jealous.

I did have a question, however, about...

Marshmallow Blue posted:

The other thing I ran into is for next years keepers/ draft. All 15 Keepers for each team will be marked as rounds 1-15 and the draft will be rounds 16-22. This might make trading picks a bit easier next season as you can trade a pick for a player and not worry about keeping two players in round 10 or what have you.

This isn't actually the same thing that was decided previously. NFL.com defaults to a rookie/FA combined snake draft in keeper leagues. To keep old guys relevant, it seemed like we decided earlier in the thread to determine FA/R picks by the original draft value of roster cuts, rather than do a random keeper draft. So, for example, let's say I take Tom Brady 6th overall, but he decides to retire at the end of the year to focus on his modeling career. I decide not to keep him. What used to be Brady on my roster now becomes the #6 "pick value" for the FA/R draft. Then lets say that everybody keeps every other player until Marshawn Lynch at #40 overall, who loses 3 toes to escaped zoo animals. #6, as the earliest unkept player, gets me 1.1 in the FA/R draft, and Lynch's #40 translates into 1.2. I pickup some rookie at 1.1, who now inherits the #6 pick value spot. This is essentially what "keep at value" means, right?

This does mean that an owner can (and will) have multiple picks in a round, and that the draft order will be all over the place, but you only get high picks by sacrificing a player picked highly this year.

That's how I understood our discussion, anyways. I thought it made for an interesting draft strategy, and I've been having a lot of fun trying to figure out my pick order for this year's startup.

It's not too late to settle on a snake draft determined by record or something for the FA/R draft, or even to do separate Rookie and FA drafts, but it's close. The keeper rules impact the startup strategy, and we all need time to plan.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Forever_Peace posted:

Great, thanks for being game for the manual pick trades! Speaking of which, send me an email if you want to conspire about picks together and make everybody else jealous.

I did have a question, however, about...

This isn't actually the same thing that was decided previously. NFL.com defaults to a rookie/FA combined snake draft in keeper leagues. To keep old guys relevant, it seemed like we decided earlier in the thread to determine FA/R picks by the original draft value of roster cuts, rather than do a random keeper draft. So, for example, let's say I take Tom Brady 6th overall, but he decides to retire at the end of the year to focus on his modeling career. I decide not to keep him. What used to be Brady on my roster now becomes the #6 "pick value" for the FA/R draft. Then lets say that everybody keeps every other player until Marshawn Lynch at #40 overall, who loses 3 toes to escaped zoo animals. #6, as the earliest unkept player, gets me 1.1 in the FA/R draft, and Lynch's #40 translates into 1.2. I pickup some rookie at 1.1, who now inherits the #6 pick value spot. This is essentially what "keep at value" means, right?

This does mean that an owner can (and will) have multiple picks in a round, and that the draft order will be all over the place, but you only get high picks by sacrificing a player picked highly this year.

That's how I understood our discussion, anyways. I thought it made for an interesting draft strategy, and I've been having a lot of fun trying to figure out my pick order for this year's startup.

Correct, this was how I visioned it being, however this is what I'm looking at when going to set keepers. All the keepers for everyone is set to rounds 1-15 and 16-22 is the draft.

ATTN: League, How do people feel about this
I'm wondering if I set keepers to "22" but then only allow players to keep the 15, we'll be able to have it the way it was planned.

I sent emails to the league regarding this to get thoughts.

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 25, 2014

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I think you need to use the Customize Draft Board to manually set what keepers we want. I'm advising blind because I can't see the pages, but these links might help:
http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/help/custom-keepers
http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/help/custom-draftboard

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

oldskool posted:

I think you need to use the Customize Draft Board to manually set what keepers we want. I'm advising blind because I can't see the pages, but these links might help:
http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/help/custom-keepers
http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/help/custom-draftboard

Yeah the screen shot above is of the custom draft board. What I've done is set keepers to 22. But owners should only submit 15 Keepers. This should allow things to be how we want them.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

So Marshmallow Blue and I settled on a pick trade earlier today:

My 4th for his 6th, and my 12th for his 8th.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Also everyone, How do we want to handle keepers since we are trading picks? Would it just make sense if the keeper cost was overall pick. so your second round 7 pick would be 8th overall and his cost would be 8 if you were to keep him?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I think that makes sense. Sort of.

Looking forward to the draft (and planning to be punctual since I have to lead us off) this weekend!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

oldskool posted:

Looking forward to the draft (and planning to be punctual since I have to lead us off) this weekend!

I will be sloppy drunk, and probably on my phone, on a boat. Should be interesting.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah, happy to finally draft and get football going in general. This draft will start right in the middle of the CalvinBall draft, so It's going to be very interesting for me.

:siren: IT"S HAPPENING 2222222222222222222!

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 29, 2014

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
This is my last draft this year, and I'm pretty excited.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
God, I have no idea how to draft for dynasty.. This should be fun.

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

Wuntvor posted:

God, I have no idea how to draft for dynasty.. This should be fun.

Not doing any separate research, just to screw with the projections of people who use dynasty pages.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Harold Cooplowski posted:

Not doing any separate research, just to screw with the projections of people who use dynasty pages.

Yeah me too. Going with my instincts.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
So when is this regretting supposed to start?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

So when is this regretting supposed to start?

For me, it was somewhere around the time I drafted Chris Johnson with the pick I traded away my 4th round for. Also, I think I drafted Troy Niklas?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Forever_Peace posted:

For me, it was somewhere around the time I drafted Chris Johnson with the pick I traded away my 4th round for. Also, I think I drafted Troy Niklas?

I'm positive I drafted C.J. Fiedorowicz. Pretty sure he's going to be the next Gronk. That seems probable.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

I'm positive I drafted C.J. Fiedorowicz. Pretty sure he's going to be the next Gronk. That seems probable.

I actually really like Fiedorowicz. I just picked him up in the other SA dynasty league. Dude has potential. In fact, I cut Niklas around the same time for him.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Also I got handy email from nfl.com predicting that will finish dead last this year with a 3-10 record. It says I should pick up Matt Schaub to improve my team. And Jerricho Cotchery.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Forever_Peace posted:

Also I got handy email from nfl.com predicting that will finish dead last this year with a 3-10 record. It says I should pick up Matt Schaub to improve my team. And Jerricho Cotchery.

Hey, their mail said I would be dead last at 0-13!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

8-5, tied for fourth. Sweet.

And no I'm not trading for the Bills defense. Taking the Patriots was strategic because they have six games against the Bills, Jets and Dolphins :colbert:

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Go ahead and give me the trophy now because my team is the best according to their e-mail and also me

wait we dont do trophies?

poo poo

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

KettleWL posted:

Go ahead and give me the trophy now because my team is the best according to their e-mail and also me

wait we dont do trophies?

poo poo

But we do! Theres gonna be a piece of paper you can print out on your very own!!!

Looks Like they've projected me to 3-10 as well. But at least I have an excuse. I drafted 11th :colbert:

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 1, 2014

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Can we give a trophy for best draft picks? These are some of my favorites:

1) Stephen Gostkowski, 10th Round (of 22)
2) In the 22nd round, Wuntvor decides he'd rather take Tim Tebow than Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Cassel. Probably actually the right call.
2) Anquan Boldin is finally taken in the 14th round, pick 164
3) Azhais takes Storm Johnson four rounds too early, just to spite me. (damnit I knew I shouldn't have said anything in the other thread until after this draft)
4) Heath Miller is finally taken with pick 197. Heath Miller is a top-15 TE this year. Picks directly ahead of him include CJ Anderson and Mohamed Sanu.
5) EJ Manuel is taken in the 19th round. Behind Kirk Cousins and Brock Osweiler.
6) Harold Kooplowski rounds out a solid draft with Jermichael Finley, who is not on any team at all and recently had the vertebrae in his spine surgically fused together.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Forever_Peace posted:

3) Azhais takes Storm Johnson four rounds too early, just to spite me. (damnit I knew I shouldn't have said anything in the other thread until after this draft)

I never saw a post about him. I took him right around his dynasty adp (which in retrospect was poor for a keeper league)

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I told you all he was going kicker there, and nobody listened to me. I don't want to hear it when somebody (everybody) loses thanks to Gostkowski's kicking.

Zach Mettenberger was Mr. Irrelevant, and yet he's in position to be the first rookie QB to see the field this year (unless the rumors are true & Carr managed to steal the starting job in Oakland).

Not thrilled with the middle of my draft, I think I took a bit too much in backups for depth and left long-term keeper options at QB/RB on the board just one round too long. Pretty happy with the start and finish, and I like my roster.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Even if it says I'm finishing in 8th and going 5-8, I'm not too upset with anything. A couple instances of trying to wait just a bit too long, but I think it'll play out OK. Somehow I drafted more Jets than intended.

Ben Nevis fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 1, 2014

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Ben Nevis posted:

Even if it says I'm finishing in 8th and going 5-8, I'm not too upset with anything. A couple instances of trying to weight just a bit too long, but I think it'll play out OK. Somehow I drafted more Jets than intended.

At least you dont have geno smith

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
:siren:

I made a spreadsheet with everybody's picks. This will help with Keeper rounds in the next year and beyond. I've already updated Mystery Player X's 18th pick with Saints D (previously Tennessee)

Link here: also added in OP.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16rmDz8l_ylPGfPCnP_YJdzJod9yj7OZNVHL-hh7_4lw/edit#gid=0

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

cecil Shots is my new favorite typo.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I really like my picks from rounds 6-8, Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin and Devonta Freeman. I'm gonna suck this year though.

Can someone explain this to me, I'm pretty dense:

Keeper costs will be overall picks. So your second pick in round 7 would be pick 8. This is also is how owning multiple players from around resolves.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Its Miller Time posted:

I really like my picks from rounds 6-8, Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin and Devonta Freeman. I'm gonna suck this year though.

Can someone explain this to me, I'm pretty dense:

Keeper costs will be overall picks. So your second pick in round 7 would be pick 8. This is also is how owning multiple players from around resolves.

Right, so in my case and Ground controls case, we traded picks, so I had 2 4th round picks. Something that won't happen next draft. So my second 4th round pick slips to 5 (if I were to keep both players), and 5 to 6, and 6 to 7 until it fixes itself on the pick I gave up.

Alternatively if you traded a player for a player who was picked in round 5 say. and you wanted to keep both your pick fives come next year, it's the same thing.

This was the best thing I could come up with as a resolution to those scenarios. There could be a better way, but I'm not seeing it.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Why can't you just pick twice in the 4th? You pick at your spot and his spot.

If you wanted to keep two 5th round players, you'd have to give up a 5th and 6th?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea there's nothing stopping you from picking twice in the same round. I did my keeper draft last week and some teams had 3 picks in the same round with no issues. You just pick at your spot that round as well as the spot the person that traded the pick to you has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

RCarr posted:

Yea there's nothing stopping you from picking twice in the same round. I did my keeper draft last week and some teams had 3 picks in the same round with no issues. You just pick at your spot that round as well as the spot the person that traded the pick to you has.

Right. I'm talking about logging peoples keepers in for next year. We decided that next years draft would be 22 rounds and you'd get 7 picks within those rounds (because 15 picks are those keepers) And you'd just be keeping players at the "cost" of whatever round you got them in. So look at this here chart.

When I go to log the keepers for next year. I can't put 2 players into the same slot for that round. This year, I have 2 guys I picked in the 4th round. So if I wanted to keep both of them I would put the first guy picked in Keeper slot 4 and the second guy in keeper slot 5.

Its Miller Time posted:

Why can't you just pick twice in the 4th? You pick at your spot and his spot.

If you wanted to keep two 5th round players, you'd have to give up a 5th and 6th?
Right, but next years rounds aren't really "rounds" as each player won't pick in round 1 (if they kept their first round pick)

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
The other option would be going back to everyone's 15 keepers get logged as the first 15 slots, and then there is a 7 round draft straight through to refill the roster.

• Locked thread