Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Unlucky7 posted:

Here is an idea for getting Nova Corp helmets into the movieverse...

At some point, Earth joins the galactic community, there is a crisis (infinity gauntlet) and Xandarian scientists approach Tony Stark to lend his Iron Man technology, as they have not been able to make wearable weaponry practical.

One thing leads to another, and you have John C. Riley in a Iron Nova suit.

You don't have to spoil fan-fiction you just wrote, and that would preclude adding one of the funniest bits in the new Guardians of the Galaxy run, where Tony joins the Guardians for a bit and is a total joke in space. Like for some tiny hick planet he may be the tenth smartest man around, but in space he is the least impressive person in the room. Basically any child has a better understanding of technology than him, none of his smarmy one-liners really hit, the ladies aren't in to him, he is just not at all the guy he thinks he is on Earth. He's not even the smartest person on technology on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It seems so weird to me they count the money it makes over the weekend before Sunday has happened.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

In Thor it seemed like these "realms" as you call them were nothing but just planets

Who knows? Thor's cosmology in the movies is designed around aesthetics, not facts [I don't say this as if it were a bad thing either, a solid rational basis for why everything works the way it does isn't really required for all films to work well as a film]. In the comics it's all very simple: He's literally Thor, a god. Asgard is Asgard. Valhalla, Hel, these are actual afterlives for dead folks. All the realms are alternate realms of existence. In the movies they do this 'Science, magic, what's the difference?' bull so you have spaceships and defense shields along with Loki doing what clearly looks like straight up no tools magic. How it all fits together is sort of handwaved.

So maybe they are all planets and you could just zoom out and find one, or maybe they are alternate realms of existence tied to Earth. Or maybe they are something stranger. There is no answer given, and there may not be an answer anyone has period. It's probably not the sort of thing they cared about before making the movies.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

sean10mm posted:

I think we're past "difference of opinion" and straight to "cataract diagnosis" here, Jesus Christ.

Maybe he really, really, really liked Avengers.

Otherwise, yeah, you may be legally blind.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

The villains were completely hollow, and the action was good, but a little... impactless, somehow.

And yet you liked Avengers?

quote:

And the ensemble fell together a bit too easily, and started trusting each other a bit too quickly to feel quite real to me.

And...yet you liked Avengers?

quote:

Also, does NO-ONE in space have IFF?

Most people in space have to fight Cthulhu possessed versions of their friends or robot armies that assimilate everyone practically every loving Thursday, programming more ways to turn your weapons off is stupid. The poo poo shoots, every single time. You get in the way you die. We'll pour a space 40 out for blue on blue dead homies and call it a day.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I'd say the other part for Batista is that this is his first real comedy role. I mean there is some pathos and action, sure, but there is a *lot* of comedy. Beyond the fact he actually buckled down and studied acting and poo poo, it could just be a case of his natural personality being suited for it more than playing a hard rear end. He is basically a giant puppy in real life, 'badass' is probably the hardest thing for him to zero in on and make believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

We're approaching a police state wherein we surrender our freedom in the name of security? That could be troubling. Luckily, it was all the fault of a Neo-Nazi hidden inner circle, and not reasonable people dealing with a situation with no clear right or wrong answers. I mean, then we'd have to question something in our everyday lives.

Except that Winter Soldier explicitly ends with "Destroy SHIELD too, it's just as bad". Not "Well, it's just mean old Hydra that was the problem, now lets get back to business!". The entire point of that movie is that literal, actual Nazis could so thoroughly infiltrate the US Government because of how secretive and fascist we had gotten. The main bad guy says he learned his world view from Fury. When things go to poo poo and Hydra drops the hammer they are exactly as ruthless as they were as SHIELD agents.

And it all happened because people wanted it to. Not shadowy men in shadowy rooms. Regular people. An evil nazi brain in a computer tells the heroes that their master plan for success was "We just waited and everyone became fascists on their own, it was pretty loving sweet!". Do you need a movie to actually break the fourth wall and have the characters come out of the screen to beat the poo poo out of the audience watching it and go "YOU DID THIS! YOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!" to get a point?

• Locked thread