Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

My greatest wish came true :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grassy gnoll posted:

Would You Agree That Ettin Badmod?

only one head

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Libertad! posted:

I can't wait for the conspiracy theories to flood in.

Are we all Ettin now? I lose track.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't wanna be Ettin. :(

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so what kind of dirt did ettin have on you winson :tinfoil:

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Cycloneman posted:

I hate to interrupt the circlejerk, but are there any Theatre of the Mind-style 4e ripoffs?
13th age has a gridless combat positioning system

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but for the love of the gods can we get Smilin' Sammy G back?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

A Catastrophe posted:

13th age has a gridless combat positioning system

If you don't mind a game that isn't very much at all like 4E, then sure. Also one that's worked on by a biotruther and a book burning apologist, apparently.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've never felt the urge to repost Sammy G before, but now I must.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

You monster.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Kai Tave posted:

If you don't mind a game that isn't very much at all like 4E, then sure. Also one that's worked on by a biotruther and a book burning apologist, apparently.

gently caress, I missed that part. Tell me it was Tweet.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well you got half of it right

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

grassy gnoll posted:

gently caress, I missed that part. Tell me it was Tweet.

Sorry, I should clarify. Tweet is the guy who's a biotruther, Wade Rockett is the guy who was all "no you don't understand, the book burning is a meaningfully symbolic act for them."

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah but I mean it's in the ballpark, at least. There aren't any really solid 4elikes out yet, although just herabouts we have Jimbozig working on sacred BBQ, I think another guy mentioned he's going to keep going with his contest game in the previous thread?

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 1, 2014

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

PeterWeller posted:

He also uses it to host get togethers with Mordenkainen and Dalamar. The place is pretty choice. It has a library containing just about every spell in the multiverse, and Ed set the place up with AC and a fridge.

3.5 Elminster violated my verisimilitude because he spends a novel boning a lich but does NOT have the Lich-Loved feat

WOTC I demand you fix this in 5e.

edit: If you haven't burned a Texe Marrs book lol

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

A Catastrophe posted:

Yeah but I mean it's in the ballpark, at least. There aren't any really solid 4elikes out yet, although just herabouts we have Jimbozig working on sacred BBQ, I think another guy mentioned he's going to keep going with his contest game in the previous thread?

hi guys i am new to this forum what do you guys do here

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Sionak posted:

Are we all Ettin now? I lose track.

No, we're all Mikan right now. Do try to keep up to date on your secret SA conspiracy newsletters.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Winson_Paine posted:

I'm sorry, it's hard to read your post without punctuation, is that some kind of local custom?

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 1, 2014

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Winson_Paine posted:

I mostly lurk.
edit: Thanks for asking.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Winson_Paine posted:

hunt down bluestars *cocks shotty*

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mormon Star Wars posted:

3.5 Elminster violated my verisimilitude because he spends a novel boning a lich but does NOT have the Lich-Loved feat

WOTC I demand you fix this in 5e.

edit: If you haven't burned a Texe Marrs book lol

Isn't that an optional feat though? Hell is that even first party? I can't remember.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
13th Age is a good game if and only if you are absolutely committed to playing a d20-alike for your recreational pretend-elf times. I mean, it's not the worst game ever or anything, it's perfectly functional, but for tactical dungeon-bashing crunch it doesn't hold a candle to 4E, for swinish theater-of-the-mind shenanigans you're better off with FATE or *World. It has some very neat little mechanics that are best served by snapping them off like Lego bricks and sticking them onto other games (the Icons, the escalation die) and the setting has some neat bits ("orcs" as a fantasy disease, half-orcs being those people who contracted orcism but managed to stave it off) but I think it's hamstrung by trying to adhere to too many dumb D&D sacred cows and in actual gameplay it's neither fish nor fowl, and the few times I've played it all it's done is remind me of other, better games.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Isn't that an optional feat though? Hell is that even first party? I can't remember.

It's optional and it's first party - from the Book of Vile Darkness from Monte Cook. But the phrasing isn't you need this feat to bone liches, it's you get this FOR boning liches, so Elminster can take a pass.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So is Ettin the mod of the entire swine conspiracy now? Was Pundit right all along?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Every time Elminster walks into a room and every skeleton doesn't turn and whisper "whoah that is the dude that BONED a lich we better leave him alone, he may lick our faces or something, gross" I shake my head.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly, what I'm looking for is an RPG with a decent/interesting tactical system that I don't need a map for. It doesn't necessarily need to be a 4e-oid, though a 4e-oid would probably be optimal.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ok, so who's the real mod candidate

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

13th Age is a good game if and only if you are absolutely committed to playing a d20-alike for your recreational pretend-elf times. I mean, it's not the worst game ever or anything, it's perfectly functional, but for tactical dungeon-bashing crunch it doesn't hold a candle to 4E, for swinish theater-of-the-mind shenanigans you're better off with FATE or *World.
Leaving aside 13a, I have sympathy for the idea of a multi-style RPG. Having tactical crunch one session, and shared narrative the next, using the same familiar system, strikes me a good goal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Catastrophe posted:

Leaving aside 13a, I have sympathy for the idea of a multi-style RPG. Having tactical crunch one session, and shared narrative the next, using the same, familiar system, strikes me a good goal.

WotC just released a new system that is EXACTLY what you're looking for then.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Arivia posted:

WotC just released a new system that is EXACTLY what you're looking for then.

I don't think it counts as "tactical crunch" when half your party have 1 option to choose from and none of the numbers involved have really been strenuously tested.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Arivia posted:

It's optional and it's first party - from the Book of Vile Darkness from Monte Cook. But the phrasing isn't you need this feat to bone liches, it's you get this FOR boning liches, so Elminster can take a pass.

Oh right Monte Cook. Why did anybody ever think that guy was great?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

I don't think it counts as "tactical crunch" when half your party have 1 option to choose from and none of the numbers involved have really been strenuously tested.

MODULES

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Oh right Monte Cook. Why did anybody ever think that guy was great?

Because he was leaps and bounds over Dale 'slade' Henson. And the Complete Book of Elves. Look, we just didn't know better.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
IT IS FINISHED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4uvS9l-FcQ

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Well THIS wasnt here 2 hours ago.

As i asked in the completely very much totally WRONG thead....

Anyone know any good mecha rpgs that are narrative based? And failing that just are there any good mecha rpgs?

Im hoping to find a system to help a dm do a sequel to a cool campaign.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Do these nodules you speak of actually exist yet or are they one of those mystical apocrypha like house rules for 3.5 that don't suck?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Do these nodules you speak of actually exist yet or are they one of those mystical apocrypha like house rules for 3.5 that don't suck?

Look, they exist. You just have to BELIEVE in the good rulings of your DM. You don't need to see the rules as long as you believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and we never saw winson again

• Locked thread