Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Selling a product is obviously an evil marketing ploy, too. The ethical businessman only takes money in exchange for promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
If "makes lots of money" = "not a total rear end in a top hat" I'd be inclined to buy a lot more RPG books.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Really Pants posted:

Selling a product is obviously an evil marketing ploy, too. The ethical businessman only takes money in exchange for promises.
Who is he supposed to give this 'product' to? Customers? What customers?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Ewen Cluney posted:

Not being able to read Fred Hicks' mind, I'm still pretty sure he does what he does primarily because he feels it's the right thing to do. That it benefits Evil Hat as a business doesn't inherently make it cynical and insincere.
The fit he threw when confronted about his shenanigans kind of threw a monkey wrench into that interpretation though that might have been the issue of grown adult never actually being confronted with large amount of people telling him to shut up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A Catastrophe posted:

Who is he supposed to give this 'product' to? Customers? What customers?

Hey man, he's never had an unsatisfied customer in four years, that's impressive for a businessman.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'd forgotten about this Skarka product: Warlords of the Apocalypse for Pathfinder! Announced in August 2010, pre-orders get their copies first when it comes back from the printer in November.

December 2012: Super Genius Games acquires Warlords of the Apocalypse from Adamant, says it's nowhere near ready for publication.

August 2014: Guess what still isn't out (and is now in the hands of yet another publisher)?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
While I cannot understand how he got the license for Bas-Lag or Buckaroo Banzai in the first place, my personal frustration is that he set up a Cthulhu supplement, Shadows of the Red Hand with Kenneth Hite about 1920s Chicago gangland. That is a book that should already exist, in depth, but with GMS involved it probably never will.

(Announced April 2009; if it ever comes out, it will be as a Trail of Cthulhu book.)

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey man, he's never had an unsatisfied customer in four years, that's impressive for a businessman.

Of course, he hasn't had a satisfied one either.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Has he ever actually released a full product before? Because it seems like a long string of poo poo he has announced/picked up and then either passes off to someone or it never comes out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Has he ever actually released a full product before? Because it seems like a long string of poo poo he has announced/picked up and then either passes off to someone or it never comes out.
There was ICONS, which got a few supplements before the whole Icons Team-Up clusterfuck and he had the property taken away from him by Steve Kenson. There were also the Thrilling Tales and Mars game lines for pulpy stuff. Those lines ended back long before all this other stuff started happening, though.

fake edit: And thinking of Icons reminded me of another time GMS mouthed off to me, this time on RPGNet. Back when Icons first came out, I asked if we could get printer-friendly or layered versions of the adventure PDFs since the full-page gradient backgrounds would kill an ink cartridge. You can imagine how he took that.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Evil Mastermind posted:

There was ICONS, which got a few supplements before the whole Icons Team-Up clusterfuck and he had the property taken away from him by Steve Kenson. There were also the Thrilling Tales and Mars game lines for pulpy stuff. Those lines ended back long before all this other stuff started happening, though.

fake edit: And thinking of Icons reminded me of another time GMS mouthed off to me, this time on RPGNet. Back when Icons first came out, I asked if we could get printer-friendly or layered versions of the adventure PDFs since the full-page gradient backgrounds would kill an ink cartridge. You can imagine how he took that.

Jesus. Guy sounds like the epitome of :effort:. "Why do work when I can yell at people who gave me money instead?!"

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Evil Mastermind posted:

How does he even stay in business then?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

I honestly have no idea. I mean, his biggest line was Icons and like I said Steve Kenson took the license away from him. In fact, Steve's said that GMS isn't even seeing a dime off the new edition that just came out.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

clockworkjoe posted:

People give him tens of thousands of dollars upfront for something and then he delivers nothing for three years before crapping out a half-finished PDF and washing his hands of it. Seems like a pretty good ROI to me (although probably not sustainable in the long term).

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

I have a couple research questions again.

What are some RPGs that emulate building up a city, civilization, empire, etc.? So far I have Birthright (AD&D over 3E, or is 3E better?), Reign, and the Kingmaker adventure path from Pathfinder.

In a similar vein, are there any games that represent high-powered characters? I'm thinking Immortals from D&D BECMI.

Thanks!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's that post apoc legacy game that came out of a design contest here

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I imagine GMS has a day job of some kind, where he is meek and a normal human being; from all reports, it is the act of getting behind a keyboard that makes him a raving rear end in a top hat.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Exalted and Nobilis yo!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mooors gm another Ars Magica game pweeeease?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, because my track record as a PBP GM is so great.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Spincut posted:

What are some RPGs that emulate building up a city, civilization, empire, etc.? So far I have Birthright (AD&D over 3E, or is 3E better?), Reign, and the Kingmaker adventure path from Pathfinder.

In a similar vein, are there any games that represent high-powered characters? I'm thinking Immortals from D&D BECMI.

Thanks!

An Echo, Resounding does this pretty good imo. It is a Labyrinth Lord thing, but it works in BECMI and others just as well.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Mors Rattus posted:

FWIW I liked you as a GM. Maybe you can find a way to make co-GM arrangements with someone?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sionak posted:

While I cannot understand how he got the license for Bas-Lag or Buckaroo Banzai

I don't know about Buckaroo Banzi but I could have sworn that he actually knows China Mieville somehow and that's how he managed to get the license. I could be misremembering because it's been years and years since that was announced.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Tollymain posted:

there's that post apoc legacy game that came out of a design contest here

Yup! You can pick it up here: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/121535/Legacy

Basically it's about rebuilding civilisation after an apocalypse, with your clan as big a deal as your character and multi-generational play heartily encouraged. The beta PDF on DTRPG is a few revisions behind, but I'll be running a kickstarter in a month or so to get the completed version out.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

W-well, I agree with Davin's idea. And you were the only guy who ever tried to do AM here as well :sweat:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I've had a vague idea about how to properly do an Ars game on the boards (PBP for seasonal work, adventures on IRC) but I can never promise I won't flake out as a GM because I am currently unemployed and job hunting, and that poo poo is intensely wearing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

clockworkjoe posted:

TTG players

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Is there a way to actually get a hold of Immortals from BECMI (preferably in PDF format)? DrivethruRPG just has the Cyclopedia (which doesn't seem to have Immortals included) and the Basic Players/DM guide.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Spincut posted:

Microscope might also count maybe?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Spincut posted:

Thanks!

Meikyuu Kingdom

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Spincut posted:

Apocalypse World: Dark Age is about to enter a second major playtest.

The Quiet Year by Avery McDaldno, map drawing game about a post apocalyptic community trying to survive until winter.

PenDragon Pass was an old Glorantha hack of Pendragon that served as the direct inspiration for the video game King of Dragon Pass. You're not likely to find this though.

Mongoose Traveller Supplement 12: Dynasty is all about building up some kind of organization

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

TTG?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Table top games - in this case, RPG players.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

[Tune: The John Birch Society https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG6taS9R1KM

by the Chad Mitchell Trio, whitest band on earth. RIP]

Oh, we're meeting at the forum at 8 O'clock tonight!
Just log in proboard and click the first link to the right.
Be careful when you get there, we'd hate to be bereft
But we're taking down the names of everybody clicking left.

~Oh we're the John T. Society, Pundit Society,
Here to save our hobby from a communistic plot!
Join the John T. Society, help us fill the ranks
To get this movement started we'll need lots of tools and cranks.~

Now there's no one that we're certain the Kremlin doesn't touch
We think that Mark Rein * Hagen doth protest a bit too much
We only hail the hero, from who we got our name
(We think he's a huge jerk) but he's our hero just the same!

Inclusivism in the ism dismalist of all!
Join the John T. Society, there's so much to do
Have you heard they're playing Fiasco at the PAX Diversity Booth?~

Well you've heard about the agents that we've already named,
Well the RPGnet has agents that are flatly unashamed,
We're after Ewen Cluney, We've gotten Christopher Lee
And the day we get Paul Ettin won't that be a victory!

Paizo's Erik Mona thinks he's kidding us along
But the John T. Society knows he spilled the beans
He keeps on preaching brotherhood BUT WE KNOW WHAT HE MEANS~

We'll teach you how to spot them
In the forums and the cliques
for even Gaming Den is just full of bolsheviks
Goodman Games' subversive, and so's WOTC
There's no one left but we and thee (and we're not sure of thee!)

here to save our hobby from a commustic plot!
Join the John T. Society, holding off the Reds
We'll use our hand and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads~

Do you want Tracy Hurley to be your commissar?
Do you want Quinn Murphy in with the OSR?
You cannot trust your neighbor
Or even next of kin
If your GM is culturally commie then you gotta turn her in!

Fighting for the right to fight the right fight for the Right
Join the John T. Society
As we're marching on
And we'll all be glad to see you when we're meeting in the John

In the John
T.
Socieeeeeety

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 28, 2014

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
That post deserves to be immortalized.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spincut posted:

Thanks!

Dawn of Worlds was originally intended as a sort of pre-game to collaboratively build tabletop settings, but it's robust enough to be an RPG in its own right. It plays like something between Civ and Black & White: the players take turns creating landmasses, establishing races, guiding them into building civilizations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Mors Rattus posted:

I've had a vague idea about how to properly do an Ars game on the boards (PBP for seasonal work, adventures on IRC) but I can never promise I won't flake out as a GM because I am currently unemployed and job hunting, and that poo poo is intensely wearing.
You should do a CYOA, they seem to be in vogue lately and you're basically the Ars Magicka loremaster. An Ars man, so to speak.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spincut posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Is there a way to actually get a hold of Immortals from BECMI (preferably in PDF format)? DrivethruRPG just has the Cyclopedia (which doesn't seem to have Immortals included) and the Basic Players/DM guide.
The I set is crazy broken, but I'm never ever parting with mine.

Really, the few rules in Dark Dungeons do a better job, overall.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

General Ironicus
@Gen_Ironicus
This weekend 6FU is recording a session of Breakfast Cult with the writer, @Ettin64! https://t.co/TIGyxx0fC1

:getin:

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Apropos of nothing, I've a question for you all: what are your dream features for a virtual tabletop program (like MapTool or Roll20)? What would make your life easier as a DM or player? If you were to have a scriptable, moddable VTT, what would you want to be able to mess around with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Asymmetrikon posted:

Apropos of nothing, I've a question for you all: what are your dream features for a virtual tabletop program (like MapTool or Roll20)? What would make your life easier as a DM or player? If you were to have a scriptable, moddable VTT, what would you want to be able to mess around with?

Something I'd really like that nothing does is some kind of character sheet viewer, probably with a tab system to page between the various character sheets and the map. Maybe the dice roller would get its own tab too. I'd want to be able to upload PDFs into the tabletop and they'd show up in a character sheet tab that everyone could look at and only you could write on top of, although you could give permission to other players to also write on it. It'd make using Dungeon World playbooks way easier to use online.

It'd be important to be able to rename the tabs too, so they don't default to filenames like THE_WITCH_DUNGEONWORLD.PDF.

• Locked thread