Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Where is that article from? 'Ablo' means nothing to me.

e: Oh, Albanese. Right. But is it so hard to post a link? Where did that come from?

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cheers

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bell jar posted:

twitter.com/rudd2000 you're welcome

ablo eat ebola

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look at his steely resolve. Now there's a man of conviction, a man of action, standing up for hard truths no matter what the consequences.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gough Suppressant posted:

The Abbott Government has given up on reforming 18c. Too many lobby groups hate free speech. And the reforms were badly sold. I suspect the country will be poorer for this.

Won't anyone take just a single loving moment to consider the feelings of Andrew Bolt on this?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haters Objector posted:

Like, they've burned through all their political capital in less than 12 months and achieved absolutely nothing apart from the carbon tax repeal.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cartoon posted:

McEwan/Gorton/McMahon achieved essentially gently caress all in 5 years. Fraser was about as bad over 8 years.

Those years in power worry me as I was hoping that the Abbott government would be a one-term government.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad the government are focusing on the most important issue facing Australia today: the hordes of home-grown terrorist cells.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Myki system is pretty sweet too. Like with Perth, if the machines aren't working then you ride for free (not sure if the bus drivers are supposed to do that but that's what they always do). It's a pain in the rear end to have to keep buying new Mykis every time you lose one, though.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol ozemail account

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I know racists aren't that smart as a general rule, but how in the name of gently caress can anyone not look at that and immediately realise it's a loving lovely joke?

They're idiots. You'd be amazed just how dense people can be when it comes to recognising satire.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Contra Duck posted:

Good news everyone, police have made an arrest in relation to the secret and undeclared $60,000 gift given to Tony Abbott's daughter!

gently caress's sake....

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i'll believe the law is serious and not racist when australian jews returning from israel are detained as being potentially involved in terrorist activities. until then it's just a dogwhistle muslim thing

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ragingsheep posted:

Tim Wilson was against the changes on Twitter this morning. Seems like the only group this government hasn't upset yet is the christian religious right.

Yeah, who is that guy? I saw him on ABC this morning and it said he was a representative of the human right commission or some such body.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hoo rah

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ferguson is the best interviewer on Australian TV since Kerry o'brian(other than Shaun micallef, watching him grill professor Ian orbspider was a rare treat)

Got a link to the Micallef thing?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haters Objector posted:

I derive a great deal of enjoyment out of seeing Brandis, a man who has made no attempt to hide the esteem in which he holds his own intelligence, be constantly made to look a blundering fool.

I didn't know he considered himself to be intelligent. Every time I hear him speak he sounds like nothing more than a moderately articulate lawyer suffering from late-stage vampirism. His brainless stammering in that Sky News interview was not the performance of a man of any real intelligence or insight.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Murodese posted:

You don't get scholarships with a D average. You rarely even get an APA with an HD average, it's usually an HD average + excellent thesis + published papers o_o

Yeah, nobody get's a 60,000 dollar scholarship on the basis of a D average. It's laughable.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Uh

I got an APA with a D average in my undergrad and no papers?

I got first class for my honours year though so that might have been what did it.

What discipline was it in, and when? I have an APA but had an upper HD average with first class honours and from everything I've heard nowadays getting an APA on anything less than an HD average, or a high D with publications, is practically impossible.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Nanotechnology.

One of the sciences then. For the humanities, a D without publications will pretty much never get you an APA Francis Abbott was doing a bloody design course. A D average is hardly impressive.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are all the Coalition's policies formulated on the basis of gut-feelings and random anecdotes? Because it seems like they've done practically no research, not even preliminary research, in the areas in which they're trying to pass legislation. A moment's thought would tell you that poorer people will be hit harder than the richer on average by an increase in the fuel excise.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Shut up about religion, you dickheads.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

'Nothing' is actually more valid via parsimony, but you're missing the point: by assuming it's a part of human nature, you're projecting your own way of thinking onto the 'space' of all possible human thought. Under this world view, atheists are somehow...not human? Sub-human? The special exception? And if they're the special exception, why are they a growing subgroup in western countries?

Religion and the ideologies of society are determined by societies' social and material conditions, not the other way around. If you're saying that faith is intrinsic, then that is nothing but ahistorical special pleading. I'm not even referring to monotheism here, pre-civilized beliefs are not based around the idea of 'another world' or any of that, everything is immanent. That's actually very close to materialist atheism, it's just that the 'rules of operation' of the world are different! Transcendent religion is caused by the emergence of classes under the neolithic revolution, and the requirements of settled society to manage those class relations, just as pre-civilized beliefs were caused by the requirements to manage inter-personal relationships (the reduction of conspicuous consumption and a kind of justice system).

Stop talking out your rear end.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br3non-oZMY

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What are the facts about petrol consumption? If what I read somewhere is right and poorer people, while they spend less overall than the wealthy in fuel, spend a greater proportion of their income on fuel expenses, then it stands to reason that they'll be hit harder by any excise.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haters Objector posted:

Everything is absolute, which is why it's a travesty that rich people pay* a greater proportion of their income in tax

*sometimes

Well that's dumb.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shadeoses posted:

Well the Ebola is mostly killing Africans so it's not really a concern unless they manage to sneak over here, which is impossible because all the boats are stopped.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/experts-ebola-vaccine-at-least-50-white-people-awa,36580/

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Murodese posted:

e; also, they're really pushing the "overall tax burden $" hard over the more appropriate "tax burden as a percentage of income"

Which makes little sense as the only reasonable interpretation of what a 'burden' is in these circumstances is the proportional influence it has on one's overall income. How much one pays as an absolute amount is meaningless unless it's put in the context of their overall earnings. Does he really think that paying (say) $10,000 out of a $50,000 income exacts the same burden on the individual as the same amount on someone with an income of $500,000?

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 14, 2014

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Who the hell carries $1500 in their wallet.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
John Hewson on Hockey's (less than luminous) performance as treasurer. Talking about just how easy it is in politics to gaffe, he gives his own example:

quote:

One of my classics was to suggest that "you can always tell the rented house on the street", made towards the end of a very long speech to the Housing Industry Association in 1992. The line, originally written by my then press secretary, Tony Abbott, was moved in and out of the speech by various advisers before being finally reinstated and was only noticed by one journalist at the time. But that was enough. The media bushfire was ignited. I was very soon flat out back-pedalling.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This is a pretty big element of why conservatives aren't funny.

That and the patrician bitterness they mistake in their comedy for insightful mocking.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Entirely true, but the sarcastic and pedantic neuroticism involved in leftist political comedy ain't much better.

True as well.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nibbles! posted:

CARBON TAX = LIES ELECTION NOW

BUDGET CUTS THAT WEREN'T GOING TO HAPPEN = yeah, that was an unwelcome surprise

The amount of major policies that the government are trying to implement that they never campaigned on, and in many cases explicitly disavowed from ever pursuing, are so great that Abbott's occasional claim that the government have a mandate is pretty close to absurd. If the carbon tax was enough to go to an election then the current situation gives even greater reason to do have one.

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 15, 2014

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hockey's amazing. First he sounds completely out of touch with the realities of those living on low-incomes, acting stubborn, flustered and annoyed at the fact that people are apparently unable to deal with the facts of the case (even though the facts he cites are irrelevant to the question of the concrete burden a tax excise would have on individuals). Now he does an apologetic interview where he comes across as a pleading, simpering loser.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like they're circling the wagons around Hockey. Is there any precedent for ditching a treasurer?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nibbles! posted:

I forget who it was, one of the Fear of a Brown Planet guys, but they were talking about gigs and how everyone's laughing at the brown jokes, everyone's laughing at the Muslim jokes and then when the white jokes come it all dies down a bit and sounds nervous.

People walk out too. Split their sides laughing at the Indian call centre jokes though.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No, he's saying, vote for me sports fans.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

open24hours posted:

The reason we have a welfare state is because without one people might turn into communists.

Best one so far.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So what is negative gearing, and what are these superannuation tax concessions I keep seeing allusions to, and why are they both allegedly so bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone even read these crappy shock rags anymore?

By the way, thanks to everyone who responded for their excellent explanations of negative gearing and superannuationcon essions. I have a few follow up questions I'd like to ask when I'm not on my drat phone.

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 20, 2014

• Locked thread