Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I wrote to some Liberal MPs about their opposition to gay marriage a couple of weeks ago and one wrote back to me - this was my email.

I posted:

Dear Don Randall,

My name is *** Atkinson, I have been a resident of *** for 9+ years, my family has operated a business within *** for over 40 years; we are all firm believers in equality for all and see the right to marry a loved one regardless of gender or sexual preference (especially in a developed nation such as Australia) as a basic social right.

Many of my friends and acquaintances are homosexual or otherwise inclined to want to be involved with a person of the same sex - it pains me greatly to know that these people who are all proud, kind, caring and contributing members to society (a number of them within the *** district!) should be denied the same rights you, me, or our families, might take for granted.

It is especially important to give these individuals such rights because it puts them on the same social platform as other straight/cis-gendered individuals thus showing to current and future generations that being homosexual, bisexual, etc makes you an equally respected member of society and that your contributions and existence are just as meaningful as those who are not.

I urge you to do what is right and, judging by current trends, what the Australian people want, by supporting marriage equality.

It is comforting to know that some of them read this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Gough Suppressant posted:

Like, "what's so special about a bunch of rocks you can't even grow wheat or farm sheep on" is an attitude that indigenous people have to fight against every day

Wasn't this a big part of Australia's colonisation? 'These guys don't even have fenced property, we need to sort these backwards natives out, quick.'

• Locked thread