Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
This isn't a placeholder post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
Reckon Ablo might be circling the wagons around Blop Snogdon?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
I wret a blag about the carbon price

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

QM, how ducked is university looking these days?

Unbelievably hosed

Seriously though it's probably okay if you're not planning to go into academia. If you are, though, here there be dragons.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Freudian Slip posted:

Hey "hoping to get into academia" buddy :smith::hf::smith:

I keep seeing ratios of 1 permanent STEM academic position for every 50 or so PhD students that graduate.

I've literally stopped making any plans that revolve around getting a job in science in Australia. At this point I'm closer to assuming that I'll try for work in the non-profit sector, hopefully with the Greens.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

open24hours posted:

As the many excellent lawyers in our parliament demonstrate.

As TOML's said before, Adam Bandt is a lawyer. Being a lawyer can be an advantage in Parliament, it just helps if you aren't also a lovely person.

Quantum Mechanic fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 4, 2014

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
I just got preselected :toot:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
The campaign and then the election in March, I guess.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Sanguine posted:

Congratulations QM, that's awesome.

So is it a safe LNP seat, or will you have a fight on your hands?

Heavily marginal LNP (3% off old boundaries, 6% off the new ones). It's been Labor since the seat was created for all but 7 years. Common wisdom is that it's going to go back to Labor next election, and my plan is to make them sweat.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Contra Duck posted:

Think of it as an article about Australia's future prime ministers.

(yeah it was real boring)

Honestly I found it kind of an interesting insight into the factional structure of the NSW Libs, and normally stupol bores me to tears.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Our local Stop CSG group was livid when we found out Abbott had been in the area with absolutely no notice or ability to organise a meeting.

Also that part where they're turning over the soil? They cut down a bunch of native gums to do that. Absolutely spewing.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Amethyst posted:

Yep.

Total nightmare.

At this point are they really going to stop you if you hop the gate?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
There's at least three non-lovely people who live in Caulfield!

Also, speaking of banks and investments, what does the Auspol hivemind think of Australian Ethical as a managed fund?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

ewe2 posted:

Oh by the way I've cracked the code:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk

quote:

Eddiexx41 week ago

This is all made out to be a joke, but what people don't understand is that this is ACTUALLY going on. It will happen, and that's the worst part. They don't HIDE what they're doing, they put it out in the open, make it out to be a joke, to calm people down. To try and convince people that it's all a conspiracy. When it's actually a warning. A big warning.

In reality, this "parody" is showing the truth. It says exactly what the MINORITY believe, and puts it out there. Why? Because they think we're all morons. They think we won't catch on. But much of us have, and this whole "tin foil hat" stab only further proves what's going on.

The whole part where he's injected and dies.. It's what's happened to so many famous people who tried to speak out. Michael Jackson, for example. This whole video is spitting in the face of the world by simply dismissing REAL world threats, (look up actual news articles around the world. Fact. Not Imaginary or conspiracy), and you'll see exactly why this video proves that the New World Order is on it's way.

I was a huge fan of Weird Al, but after this video, i'm afraid he's as brainless as any other entertainer in the media. This world is going down. Fast.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Haters Objector posted:

I've never met a nice South African

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjwCmJrnlY

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yes, Minister on metadata.

Completely unrealistic in the Australian political context. Someone in the Prime Minister's Office knows what they're doing.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Kat Delacour posted:

Closing the loopholes to make it perfectly clear that yes we do in fact want you destitute and starving for 6 months.

Actually I think in this case it's the Coalition wanting to dodge very real and accurate accusations that they may be encouraging/forcing women into sex work because of their changes.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Josie posted:

As per what was said before, relatively high cost and you should look at the possible ethical option in your current super. Also if you happen to be with UniSuper it is a really fantastic fund and I am kicking myself for rolling out of it a few years ago.

<- worked for both a retail and an industry fund.

I'm in UniSuper. I'm mostly thinking for my parents, who are looking at doing an investment fund for a few years as a way of saving up for a place in a new suburb.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Do people in this thread refer to Eric Abetz as Erica Betz because they sincerely believe that's his name or because they are insulting him by demoting him to the status of a woman by feminising his name? It happens every he's brought up. Don't get me wrong, he's a vapid, mealy-mouthed carbon blob, but that line of attack is still pretty questionable.

It's because when you say his name with anything even resembling speed, it sounds like Erica Betz. It's almost impossible not to.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Antlions posted:

So, something I'm not sure about : ICAC good? ICAC bad? ICAC good but run by bad people? I hear bits and pieces about it but I don't really have any context to go on.

ICAC fantastic and run by good people. It's an independent anti-corruption body in NSW with fairly significant powers to compel witnesses and evidence, it was started by the Liberal Party under Greiner, but so far has mostly been a component of bringing down 2 Liberal Premiers and 6 other Lib MPs, as well as the whole scummy situation over Obeid and Macdonald in the NSW Upper House.

The Libs are now currently complaining that ICAC is a kangaroo court and that its inquiries should be done in secret, like other anti-corruption bodies, to which I say to politicians; if you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear :devil:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Ragingsheep posted:

That's the thing I don't get with ICAC, you get found guilty of corruption but you don't go to jail because evidence used against you can't be used by the DPP.

It's a component of ICAC having extraordinary powers to compel witnesses and evidence. It can act beyond the bounds of a regular criminal court because of its narrow focus.

Fortunately being brought in front of ICAC effectively ends your political career, so that's something at least.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Contra Duck posted:

I'm fully expecting them to try to shut it down after this inquiry is finished saying that it's no longer needed because we already found all the corruption.

That's why the NSW Greens are planning to push for a referendum to add ICAC into the NSW constitution :haw:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

hyperbowl posted:

But there's no need for a referendum to add stuff to (or remove stuff from) the NSW constitution.
Edit: I mean I guess it's the only way the Libs would even consider putting it in, but will they add provisions preventing future governments from taking it back out?

It's not required, but as a political stunt it's completely bulletproof. It would also allow inserting ICAC with a provision of requiring bipartisan support to change its funding or its terms of reference.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Captain Pissweak posted:

Is anyone in the Liberal party even from a scientific background and simultaneously haven't entirely missed the point of the method.

There's climate denialist and professional fuckknuckle Dennis Jensen?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
Was three seconds away from straight-up punching this arrogant gently caress of an Immigration department desk jockey in the throat today.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Murodese posted:

You don't get scholarships with a D average. You rarely even get an APA with an HD average, it's usually an HD average + excellent thesis + published papers o_o

Uh

I got an APA with a D average in my undergrad and no papers?

I got first class for my honours year though so that might have been what did it.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Orkin Mang posted:

What discipline was it in, and when? I have an APA but had an upper HD average with first class honours and from everything I've heard nowadays getting an APA on anything less than an HD average, or a high D with publications, is practically impossible.

Nanotechnology.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Orkin Mang posted:

One of the sciences then. For the humanities, a D without publications will pretty much never get you an APA Francis Abbott was doing a bloody design course. A D average is hardly impressive.

Muro was talking about it, and he's in STEM. That's what made me curious.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

urseus posted:

I looked up Islamic leaders condemn Isil attacks, and came back with a small artical from the Jakarta news? Ditto greens?

The Greens have come out with like three media releases in the last fortnight about the ISIL attacks. Look harder.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Amethyst posted:

Why would you listen to any of the populist nonsense that comes out of Palmer's mouth? Guy held a presser with Al Gore before turning around and repealing the carbon tax, while at the same time stymieing any future attempt to legislate an ETS. He inexplicably added india to the list of countries which must have an ETS before Australia. Nice one Clive, the planet will thank you for that one.

Do not trust Clive Palmer.

I don't disagree about Palmer being a populist weathervane, but free tertiary education has been a plank of what passes for the PUP platform since it came into being. It's the closest thing Clive has ever had to a consistent position.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Les Affaires posted:

In the face of mounting allegations against the LNP in ICAC, perhaps the Greens and other parties might try a strategy of pointing out that they've never been investigated for corruption in their entire history.

This actually doesn't work well; it comes across as bragging or, yes, a sign of our irrelevance. What's best is to emphasise our positive qualities in a way that only implies we aren't corrupt rather than outright saying "we aren't corrupt:" emphasising that we don't take corporate donations, for example.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Mattjpwns posted:

Jesus H loving Christ. I've had to read a LOT of IT resumes in my life that have made me go "nuh uh, next", but this one takes the cake.

E: WHAT WAS ON THE PONIES THAT NEEDED TO BE CENSORED? :gonk:

Company logos.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

adamantium|wang posted:

Owen and Cornwell have resigned from Parliament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
Seriously Anidav did you disturb a mummy's tomb or something? Run over an old Roma woman? Kill a witch's cat?

What did you do

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Anidav posted:

Let's see, ever since posting here I've ruined Bill Glasson's political career, helped uncover bots liking and commenting on Tony Abbott's facebook page, joined the ALP, joined a union, Taken Umart to town for not paying my Super and have educated myself using this thread to know my rights at work.

No gypsy curse involved, yet.

Have we ruled out that Bill Glasson was a mummy?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

sidviscous posted:

And not just give them the vote, but make it compulsory for them to vote.

They already HAVE the vote, but that's apparently not good enough, because business owners, unlike poor people, can't be expected to pull their identification and enrollment every year.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Anidav posted:

There's no loving way the LNP are winning the next NSW election after so many beheadings, right?

NSW Labor are rotten to the core as well. Remember, it was ICAC getting Eddie Obeid and Ian Macdonald that got the Liberals in in the first place.

The Libs will lose a fuckton of ground, but losing government isn't a guarantee. They're still ahead on polling.

Also as far as Queensland goes, a fun anecdote. My American brother-in-law decided to start reading up about Australian politics. He's fairly politically aware, but Yanks just don't get much information about us.

His first statement regarding Australian politics? His first conclusion after beginning his research?

"gently caress Queensland. Seriously."

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Cartoon posted:

Standard Rooters, Shooters and Tooters (RT&S) getting hosed poo poo to happen but I did a bit more digging and it turns out that Sydney Council routinely fight against the wage rises awarded to their employees and the United Services Union has strong ties to the RT&S. That makes this a little more perplexing. Anyone here know anything about it?

The Shooters are introducing the bill at the behest of the Liberals. The entire purpose of this bill is to get Clover Moore out of Sydney Council. That's literally it.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Cartoon posted:

So bitter wages disputes with the USU and the USU links to the RT&S have nothing to do with it? I find that hard to believe.

Remember, you're talking about a government that already tried changing an entire state electoral law to get Clover Moore out of the mayoral chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
lotta neat avatars popping up round these parts

• Locked thread