Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I just got preselected :toot:

Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Anidav posted:

So I sent out a TTCC application on the 20th of June and it's now the 5th of August and it still has not arrived. I called up Translink and they gave me a number to the so called "card manufacturer" who can give me the exact status of my card. I call the number and get an answering machine telling me to call Translink.

What the actual gently caress?

No concession opal cards, sirens that flash to let security know someone has the balls to use a concession ticket, half of the paper tickets cancelled (namely the ones that save you money).

Gee, you don't think there's some sort of pattern here, do you?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Tirade posted:

Just wanted to let the thread know that I'm having a beer in celebration of Abbott's back down on 18c. And y'all should too (or whatever form of celebration you prefer) - it's important to celebrate the wins given all the terrible things going on in auspol these days.

They gave up on the HECS thing too! Things could be worse, for once!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Amethyst posted:

Will you shut the gently caress up you complete dimwit?

Amethyst why do you fly off the handles so often? You make muyb look relaxed in comparison.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Amethyst posted:

lol sorry, I should chill and laugh at the epic jokes about how Jews are a race of apartheidists.

Not what I was saying, I was just pointing out your response was a bit dumb.

You could have said "Gee, gough, that's a pretty lovely thing to say, and if you actually think all Jews are Zionists then that's pretty awful."

Instead of "SHUT UP KDAQWHNDJKAWNDAWNDAWDN I AM SO ANGRY HOLY poo poo gently caress BALLS"

or you could have ignored muyb being an idiot like everyone else.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Ler posted:

It's loving hilarious that the IPA is seeking $38,000 in urgent donations to fund an ad to attack Abbott. What a nice day.

source?

That is absolutely hilarious.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Your soundtrack for another Amethyst meltdown, where all arguments are met with personal attacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFasFq4GJYM

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Amethyst posted:

I can't believe they allow some unfunny idiot to make fun of Lorde like that. No respect.

Easily the funniest thing about this post is that you're probably 100% serious.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Freudian Slip posted:

Sorry to :goonsay: out - but it's one of those little myths that piss me off

Nah that's really interesting, don't apologise! I got taught the same bullshit about it all being the pom's fault.

Splode fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 7, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Amethyst posted:

Preemptive defensiveness. You are very secure in your absolutely excellent opinions.

Well put.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Also I am probably a total misogynist for not caring that much about the woes of people with private health insurance because cosmetic reconstructive surgery is more common amongst women than men due to the types of procedures and the level to which society values looks as a determinant of worth differently across genders.

Yeah, shut up now.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

You are dumb and poo poo

You are so tedious

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Good to know that someone is dumb enough to stand up and defend the idea of using femininity as an insult to people as long as you really don't like them

Also no surprises that it was someone willing to defend racism as long as you really don't like the targets.

Wasn't defending either of these things. Not sure why you've got such a hard-on for attacking people who you know don't actually have lovely opinions. Very constructive. You do realise there's no prize for being the most ideologically correct? And even if there was, you've got just as many dumb opinions as everyone else.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

There are going to be some huge protests over this.

Considering everything else they've backed down from, I'm not worried yet.

If they win the next election this country deserves everything it gets.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

bell jar posted:

This one's mostly readable

:holymoley: nice av

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Gentleman Baller posted:

I think this is a bit of a stretch. Pyne is a poo poo lord and he was dodging the question but I'm pretty sure he was just saying it can't possibly disproportionately affect women and poor people because Vice Chancellors will price things fairly and not for maximum profit. It was absolutely a straw man dodge, implying that the big problem with it is that they will specifically set the fees higher for courses predominately taken by women or some poo poo but I don't think it was a Tony Abbott 'women stay in the kitchen' thing.

Nope. Not a stretch at all. Look at the quote again. He basically said women do teaching and nursing, not dentistry and law. He is a mysogenist piece of poo poo.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Haters Objector posted:

Anyone( edit: in a developed nation) who claims to be a leftist and participates in the economy in any way should be shot

Yeah Gough, when are you going to drop the "YOU'RE ALL AS BAD AS THE RULING CLASS" gimmick? It's getting pretty tired.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

pretty sure using invasive data collection for your own ends is bad, and a better policy would be "We'll push for legislation to ban woolies and coles collecting all this data because it's bad for society to have huge corporations manipulating their customers into doing things they otherwise wouldn't!"

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

Then we'll have to abolish advertising.

Which I am all in support of.

This would just boost the PR industry and sponsored blogs/newspaper articles. So we'll have to ban the media too I guess!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I know that it's an unstoppable force at this point, but it's a real shame such powerful data is used for the same ridiculously dumb short-sighted goals of capitalism. I imagine you could use it to get some great healthy eating programs in supermarkets and other stuff like that.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Amethyst posted:

Why would you listen to any of the populist nonsense that comes out of Palmer's mouth? Guy held a presser with Al Gore before turning around and repealing the carbon tax, while at the same time stymieing any future attempt to legislate an ETS. He inexplicably added india to the list of countries which must have an ETS before Australia. Nice one Clive, the planet will thank you for that one.

Do not trust Clive Palmer.

Yeah I agree with Amethyst. Clive is full of poo poo, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not even convinced he won't pass the bloody medicare fee.

Amethyst posted:

Bullshit scare tactics. We may accept robo bank tellers and robo supermarket cashiers, but replace your waitstaff with touchscreens and see how it flies in the market.

It'll work for McDonalds, maybe, and that is about it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Soviet Space Dog posted:

Unless there are robotic kitchen cleaners out there all of those are just as labour intensive whether you outsource or do them with our own staff, and frankly once you include all the costs of setting up the outsourcing and the profit of the supplier it could easily be more expensive. Which means he sounds silly, until you realise its just a coded call to combat organised labour.

Yeah cleaning robots don't really exist yet. Roombas don't count.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

It's worth noting that a touch screen like this doesn't really remove jobs, just reduces the duties of the staff. It doesn't even shorten their shifts.

An automated waiter is still a long way off. A fully automated restaurant isn't impossible but it'd resemble a factory rather than a restaurant and would still require staff for security.

It would also cost unthinkable amounts of money to design and build and require extremely expensive workers to maintain it.

Basically "WE'LL AUTOMATE EVERYTHING" is a dumb threat, because if it's possible to automate they would've done it already.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Hmmm, some sort of factory? What if we could get the chefs to prepare food and put it on some sort of... rotating conveyor belt? Crazy I know!

Well yeah but I'm talking about automating the chef.

I did say I thought it was possible, but it doesn't really seem cost effective unless you're really really busy

open24hours posted:

That doesn't make a lot of sense. There are lots of businesses out there that could adopt new technologies but choose not to for whatever reason.

I don't think automated fast food is really that far off, I can imagine food courts filled with these things.
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/chennai-based-food-box-gives-packaged-food90-secs_1054970.html

Yeah fully automated fast food is going to be a thing, but I doubt this sort of experience will replace restaurants any time soon.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Fruity Gordo posted:

or can we just go back to our perennial consensus that religious belief is an inherent part of all humans and necessarily concern the divine or a lack thereof or ambivalence?

This is not a consensus I've ever heard of, and this discussion is spiraling out of control.

ONE OF THESE DAYS YOU JERKS WILL LEARN NOT TO RESPOND TO IWC, no matter how legit his arguments might appear.

Religious people who oppress others are as bad as any other kind of oppressor, but not all men muslims are homophobic. You all agree on this and any arguments are just people arguing past each other. There is a valid concern that THE LEFT (a large hivemind or corporation I assume?) doesn't come down hard enough on the lovely parts of 'muslim culture', which is completely bullshit and the only people who say this are racist. When THE LEFT (inc.) yell about homophobes and mysogenists, they aren't only referring to the western ones.

IWC has, once again, managed to bait the whole thread. To be fair, it was a decent discussion for all of 5 posts!

Also lol at IWC's "But everyone else in Asia is racist so we can be too!"

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Gosh, sorry hambeet

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

or idk maybe don't make a character whose major defining characteristic is his race and then brownface yourself to play him :shrug:

yeah pretty much. If you can't write your show without it seeming racist, it's probably racist and you should not make the show.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

bell jar posted:

e: forgot this wasn't gbs

yeah I empty quoted muyb and then realised that I had to quickly edit in an actual reply. Considering the entire argument about that israel-related cartoon was in GBS and we usually talk poo poo in here, it's getting confusing.

Hell, soag even posted in this thread, wtf

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Laserface posted:

Every grade at every school has a kid just like Jonah that acts out because they are struggling with identity and maybe lovely parents. White, Asian, Lebanese, it doesn't matter the race, they all act similarly and it's something most young people can relate to. gently caress, friendlyjordies 'yilmaz' is the same thing but Turkish.

It's just he chose to play a Tongan one that makes it bad according to auspol.

For the record my grades Jonah was Greek.

EDIT: and its not bad at also pointing out that these kids quite often struggle with family related issues that contribute to their behaviour which is a good thing to point out to the people watching who just think their schools Jonah is a dickhead.

I mean he is, but theres a reason for it.

Are you trolling or can you legitimately not recognise why blackface is offensive?

This is great, I wish it wasn't behind a paywall so I could share it on FB. Gawd Crikey.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Can't wait for some idiot loving wet liberal to come and tell me how I am an idiot for saying blackface/brownface is racist :allears:

Uhm I'd prefer it if you used the term face of colour, TIA

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Problematic

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

sidviscous posted:

I think "Editor" these days is like "Vice President" in US corporations. Or "Engineer" in IT businesses (drat - I went there).

I have noticed a strange trend that most people who have 'engineer' in their title aren't actually engineers, and actual engineers don't usually have 'engineer' in their title either, unless they're reasonably junior.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Victoria to introduce ten year mandatory sentences for "one punch kills" :allears:

Victoria wants a slice of that hot QLD police state action

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Lid posted:

This happened. This is what Abbott's handlers came up with to reconnect to the community.

This JUST got posted, followed by a full page of discussion

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

here, page 62

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Anidav posted:

Did anyone post today's Courier Mail? On my phone but it accuses Wayne Swan of trying to start a second French Revolution. No joke, this is journalism.

The French Revolution was a bad thing huh? If only we could go back to the days of Feudalism!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

I'm also slightly annoyed they picked a phrase associated with the French Revolution of 1789 and a picture depicting the 1848 Revolution. :spergin:

I'm annoyed they implied that Swanny is both leading the revolution and also saying 'let them eat cake' :spergin::hf::spergin:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

Both of those things annoy me immeasurably. I can't enjoy the rain without being drenched and the cursed Earth continues to mess up the weather by wobbling about in space. It's very tiring.

goon project! Align the Earth's axis with the plane of the solar system.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Pandemic Diagram posted:

It's a painting of the July Revolution of 1830, not the revolution of 1848.

Seriously, there are so many things wrong with that cover.

Hand in your history geek gun and badge, Endman.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Like you are seriously going to try and paint someone who has stood for every party which would take her as being some kind of principled well intentioned person?

This.

She supports whatever policies are polling well, for as long as it's polling well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

hooman posted:

Are you going to seriously call her as bad as Palin? Or as any member of the liberal party? Principled is a relative term here...

She may be a weathervane, but that's not as terrible as just being bad all the time.

She tried to join the liberals! So yes, she is as bad as any member of the liberal party.

• Locked thread