Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

This may or may not be a placeholder post. Answer below.

Argh you changed the outcome by measuring it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Once upon a midnight Druery, while I pondered, weak and Muiry,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten law

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my Senate door.

"'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my Senate door
Only this and nothing more."

Quoth the Guardian, "Nevermore".

(partial credit to Bompacho for this)

Les Affaires fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 1, 2014

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Mostly economics chat for LesAffaires benefit. There are many many links that I didn't put in, sorry.

The tl;dr is that behind the scenes there is a lot of bad lending going on. The banks won't lose either way, in fact they stand to gain from a dive in the market. Other financial institutions may not be so lucky.

Yeah I caught this earlier today. The basic message is that our banks are under no less pressure to (out)perform just as their American counterparts. What failed for the yanks during the GFC could very well fail for us if the incumbent government decides to relax regulation beyond what it is already.

What's interesting is that it was GW Bush who exacerbated the push for subprime loans by relaxing the loan conditions back in the early 2000s. He was conned by industry and the Americans are still paying the price.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Small Keating posted:

Looks like Abbott's killed the changes to 18C.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0805-3d65l.html

quote:

The Abbott government has backed down on plans to water down the Racial Discrimination Act.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said it was a ‘‘leadership call’’ to bin the proposed changes to Section 18C of the act which had been roundly criticised by ethnic community leaders and was unpopular with the wider public
"Leadership is about preserving national identity and the essentials and that is why I have taken this position," Mr Abbott said.

Last week, Fairfax media revealed the Coalition's plan to water down race hate laws has been rejected by a marked majority of respondents to a government review.

More than 76 per cent of 4100 submissions to Attorney-General George Brandis' draft changes to the Racial Discrimination Act were opposed to the proposal - known as the ''Bolt law'' after conservative columnist Andrew Bolt.

The government has proposed to wind back section 18C, which makes it unlawful to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate someone based on their race or ethnicity.

But just 20.5 per cent of submissions were in favour of the changes, according to documents obtained under freedom of information laws by Simon Rice of the Australian National University. Three per cent called for a complete repeal of all racial discrimination protections.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

In light of the 18c reversal, perhaps this Sunday's edition of the Bolt Report might actually be worth watching...

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Splode posted:

source?

That is absolutely hilarious.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0806-3d8i7.html

quote:

The IPA has emailed its supporters pleading for cash to fund a $38,000 attack ad which will use the Prime Minister's own words against him.

"Tony Abbott has given up but the IPA never will," the email says.

The IPA will quote from Mr Abbott's speech to the IPA in 2012 when he said "freedom of speech is an essential foundation of democracy".

And in a further rebuff of the Prime Minister, the IPA is offering donors a copy of his comments signed by the News Corp columnist Andrew Bolt, who was successfully prosecuted under the current laws.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Actually I think in this case it's the Coalition wanting to dodge very real and accurate accusations that they may be encouraging/forcing women into sex work because of their changes.

Come now, it's not like women on the margins will have to do that the rest of their life. Only until there is a change in government.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Nibbles! posted:

Instead of asking for repeals of laws to make Andrew Bolt not racist why don't these groups push for a federal bill of rights to enshrine these rights? The Constitution was originally written with an assumption a Bill of Rights would follow, wasn't it?

Because for a bill of rights to make it into the constitution, it would be watered down so much in the parliament that by the time it makes it to the people, it will either carry no legal weight, or it won't be worth voting for and will fail.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

ahahahahahahhahahaha they hosed that up didn't they?

Australia exports more than $400 million in agricultural products to Russia each year.

According to Department of Foreign Affairs statistics, Australian beef exports to Russia were worth $150 million in 2013, while butter exports accounted for $64 million.

Live animals excluding seafood were worth $55 million and meats excluding beef were worth a further $48 million.

Overall, two-way trade between Australia and Russia in 2013 was worth about $1.79 billion in 2013.

So... does this mean a bunch of food bound for russia now stays domestic? DOes this mean our food just got cheaper? :D

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Dollars transferred to The Australian for this ad: $38,000
Effect on future LNP election campaigns: Significant, negative
Effect on public policy: 0

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Hey, I'm sure all of those Australians who were undecided about the issue have since picked up a copy of The Australian and are now convinced.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

Isn't the idea of advertising that you do it in something which has an actual circulation?

That would require somebody in the IPA knowing anything about business.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Relevant:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nah, something changed late 2008 / early 2009.

Could it be... his mind?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Haters Objector posted:

Point 4 claims that the budget is unfair because low-income earners receive the most government assistance, and point 5 correctly says that we spend a catastrophic amount of money on tax welfare for millionaires. How do the authors reconcile these two points? Why is welfare for rich people considered a different class of expenditure than welfare for poor people?

Because welfare for the rich is there more to placate them into supporting good policy than it is to meet some economic or market imbalance.

Providing monetary benefit to those who can quite comfortably cover the cost themselves provides less economic benefit when compared to using those same dollars elsewhere.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

says ABC's scrolling newsbar. :allears:

"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah!"
"Oh yeah?"
"YEAH!"

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Captain Pissweak posted:

That was a joke post, I know engineers are not inherently pieces of poo poo.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2009/12/buildabomber.html

quote:

...but Gambetta and Hertog found that engineers, in particular, were three to four times more likely to become violent terrorists than their peers in finance, medicine or the sciences. The next most radicalizing graduate degree, in a distant second, was Islamic Studies.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Maybe all you vodka-swilling idiots will finally turn to the correct white spirit:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

In the face of mounting allegations against the LNP in ICAC, perhaps the Greens and other parties might try a strategy of pointing out that they've never been investigated for corruption in their entire history.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

When it comes to resumes, a lot of it comes down to the look. You're competing with anywhere over 200-1000 odd other applications, you need your resume to look professional and stand out. I cannot help but laugh whenever I see a word doc resume because it just looks like no effort went in at all.

Indesign is good for resume making if you can...acquire a copy, for a fair price.

Having seen my fair share of resumes I half agree. If you're a design major or working in the "marketing field" I would object to a half-assed resume made from a standard word processor.

If it's for a technical field a word document is fine though, because you're going to be looking for substance moreover than style.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Here's a devious idea: Walk into a bunch of bottleshops and offer the employee working there (if it's not the owner) to hand their resume around and get them a different job.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Remember, you're talking about a government that already tried changing an entire state electoral law to get Clover Moore out of the mayoral chains.

Why the hell would they want Clover Moore out of her position? What did she do?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

lmao

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

webmeister posted:

It's not that they don't know, it's that they don't care.

It's more complex than that. Each of the ministers is trying to shape their legacy deliberately. Hockey has chosen "balancing the budget" as his, but this goes against what the people of Australia really need at this time, which is "certainty" and "help".

Edit: I guess I'm saying that it's not that they don't care, it's more that they care -more- about the budget being in the black, and what they'll be remembered for. Which is kinda dumb.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Murodese posted:

You're like 4/4 for dumb posts now. Would you agree that a depiction of Aboriginals as apemen in a cartoon wouldn't offend you, and why are you so racist?

(you can be offended by something that's not targetting you)

Ehhhh, probably need a lawyer to chime in. While you might be right on the substance, to bring court action I think you need to qualify as somebody with an actual greivance and that requires an interpretation of the law.

Specifically this part:

(1) It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:
(a) the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and
(b) the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or of some or all of the people in the group.

I'm not going to look through case law to see if this is the case, but whether court action can be taken would depend on whether the highlighted section is deemed to be the person taking court action or not.

Les Affaires fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 14, 2014

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Murodese posted:

the difference is that he's an avid commenter on andrew bolt's blog and is unaware of the existence of hypocrisy

Regardless of your slapfight with muyb, it'd be a pretty steep change if a judge allows 18c to be pursued by somebody who isn't directly vilified by the laws.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Pred1ct posted:

So the guy suing under 18C is not Jewish and previously said that people that don't support 18C should invoke it as a protest.

Yeah he's not going to have any standing whatsoever.

Yeah, pretty clear abuse of process.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah, both the 18D provision and the fact that it was brought as a spurious case will get it thrown out AND only serve to frustrate those that oppose 18C even moreso.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Anidav posted:

Can anyone tell me if Lindt 90% is a struggling product?

Never heard of it. Draw your conclusions from this.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Brainfart time. What if News Limited want the ABC privatised so they can buy it?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

froglet posted:

Hey guys I'm at my new job and the things I have heard help :stare:

"I agree with Lang Hancock's aboriginal solution"
"This program hangs like a friend of the family from a tree"
"You're one of the good lefties froglet coz you don't expect the government to do everything for you"

:stare:

Yikes. Time to perform an insurrection. :getin:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Realtalk it's probably easier to convince a coworker (boss???) that some of the so-called "left wing" ideas such as "not letting people rot in the street" and "maybe people are equal after all" and "using certain words can make you look like a dick" than it is to convince a boss to pay you the same as everybody else.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Kommando posted:

I got a reply from Wayne Swans electorate officer.

I emailed Wayne Swan on Thursday.

And the reply:

I'm reasonably satisfied with that response.

Nice work.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Anidav posted:

Quickly, how do you deal with a person who says the "inflated welfare state" will destroy first world nations and lead them down a path of "government reliance and degeneracy"?

Point out that welfare is necessary to prevent the uprising of the destitute as their options become increasingly more limited. Also point out that "welfare" in the form of transfer payments is also an important part of the economy because the money is used as indirect stimulus to local businesses, such as supermarkets. Remove welfare and you remove that stimulus.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Anidav posted:

But you see guys, those who rely on welfare will eventually make us sink like the Titanic because a bunch of bludgers will ruin it for the rest of us. We must stop them now and get them jobs before it's too late.

Point out that jobs don't just create themselves. The last thing a business ever wants to do is hire more staff, but if the demand is there, that's exactly what they'll do.

If he (she?) wants jobs to exist to necessitate the eradication of the welfare state, well by all means he should be advocating for creation of more demand.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Ask him why he thinks the IMF and the World Bank both came out in support of transfer payments recently.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Anidav posted:

I showed him a consumer confidence graph from Roy Morgan and he said Roy Morgan is biased. So I should probably disengage here and let him enjoy his fantasy land economics.

Maybe ask him more questions about his experience with the welfare / transfer system. I had a long chat with a mate in the pub a few months back who had similar beliefs, and they all stemmed from his university days where he was ineligible for austudy, despite his family not being as well off as some others who knew the system and managed to qualify for additional support.

His view was that the system needed to be targetted better because his experience showed that it wasn't. I convinced him that if the system instead allowed for all people to receive an allowance for study regardless of targeting he agreed that it would be better.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Anidav posted:

His experience with the system is "all my best high school friends became bludgers"

Yeah. The only way to argue with those people constructively is to widen their lens, and this is incredibly difficult if they're not willing to discuss it in good faith.

My strategy is to usually ask them if it's at all possible for them to change their mind. If they say no, then stop.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

There's a wealth of resources out there for somebody inclined to look, I just find it unlikely that somebody like him who's so tarred by his own limited experience would risk his worldview by looking at the perspective of the other side in an honest way.

For example, the business council has consistently held the view that the newstart and other allowances are too low and actually hurt people who are job hunting. When an alliance of business leaders come together to point out that welfare isn't high enough, that's probably a sign that something needs to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

epipen posted:

we're going revolutioning :getin:

Just make sure you do something to prevent the car... Stalin :D

• Locked thread