Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Edit: Bob Day might be good for something afterall:
He was in the local hills paper expressing outrage over out of touch pollies who have no inkling of how life exists outside of corridors of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Just caught the end of a chunk on the ABC alleging the backbenchers are really concerned and Labor has finally woken up and are doing five weeks of pointing out Abbott's lies till Sept 7, starting with the idea of the unity ticket.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I suppose Gallipoli is easier to pronounce than Pozières or a bit more exciting sounding than The Battle of Mouquet Farm. Though back then troops dubbed it "Moo-Cow Farm".

Then again pretty much all my war history came well after high school thanks to the Internet. We were only given a cursory pass over in "Aus Studies", which was a separate class from "history" during the height of the Howard era when ANZAC was ramping up to be a jingoistical rock concert.

Gallipoli was pretty much summed up as "we believed Germans were killing nuns and kittens in Belgium, so we went over there because the Poms told us to, and we didn't really do very well. But we celebrate the "Aussie Battler Spirit" as a result."
And watching The Lighthorsemen, Gallipoli and Breaker Morant, for some odd reason - we had no idea what the Boer War was, and just assumed it was something from the first.

I don't think I even learnt why or how WWI was started, I had to have the joke "Franz Ferdinand found alive, First World War a mistake" explained to me. Let alone the other global events that were occurring that weren't on a beachfront in Turkey.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 7, 2014

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Hah if The Age / IPA are to be believed is there going to be a massive split should the budget crumble even further?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

ColtMcAsskick posted:

The full page anti Abbott IPA ad was hilarious though.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xKTApcE2Vc

Though thankfully they realised how bad their views were and renouced it, yet still have suspicions about the holocaust. They now claim to be "liberals", thanks to the magic of medical marijuana which they started taking due to cancer treatment, and now tour the country promoting it's use.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Surprised no one posted that several page long Zelda themed application to Gamestop.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

adamantium|wang posted:

And then to top it off:

So to fill my brain in, he's handing stuff over to a valet to load in the boot, while a family watches on?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

So Abbott reshuffles in order to restore faith (as it's cheaper than a DD) and we have Mathias Cormann selling us budget 2.0?

Hockey to become minister for sports? :v:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

"1...2...3...4...I declare thumb war"

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Vladimir Poutine posted:

It's a pretty great eyeroll. Who was talking while she did that?
Brandis.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Plus News Corp is being hammered with the legal costs of fighting the hacking cases - which are still going strong.
Going by what Media Watch has been mentioning I suspect that the future would be most metropolitan newspapers end up sharing and recycling content while The Australian tries to prop-up with it's national focus, while shrinking in paper size.

Of course trying to sell online papers to a demographic who mostly see technology as something magical that only the younger generation can understand hasn't helped. Conversely shifting news behind paywalls for younger audience hasn't helped as they assume news is free.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

The interesting thing is the feeding frenzy for clickbait will actually foster a drive for the more "intellectual" news outlets, so there's a possibility the Australian will survive by a desire to be actually informed.

The race to the bottom, however, is further fueled by social media relinking "shocking!" news headlines and saucy galleries.
I suspect NewsCorp is using as much of the revenue out of news.com.au to keep the rest of the ship afloat.

Another interesting tactic I've noticed are articles that have links referencing themselves, or recycling through the "related" or "recommended" articles where they have been given a different title.

Blog-news seems to sit in the middle. At times you have excellent and well researched articles, at the other time you have things like IA and Crikey that tend to end up as soapboxes for disgruntled journos or washouts like Ellis.

Nick Davies' Flat Earth News does an excellent history on the decline of the press, opening up with The Australia's campaign against Whitlam.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I wonder if we say Abbott or Hockey's name three times they'll appear...

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Pell's comments are pretty egregious given that a truck crashed in Adelaide this week, killing two and the company grounded the fleet as a result.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

So Chris Kenney is a coffee frother? :v:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

While ignoring there's severe rifts in the ranks, that a former leader defects.

Hearing Pyne flare up on breakfast radio about Hamilton-Smith being a traitor is hilarious.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

So that's what they meant by the adults being back in charge!

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

They're running out of ministers who the public are quickly hating. The usual tactic of rotating through them to deflect fire and or to just operate as party mouthpieces isn't working very well.

Hockey's sunk himself so deep with his "it's the poor's fault" message that Cormann's the only option they have at the moment.
"Het schip niet zinken. Ja, we are fine, one united partij. Oh! Een eagle!"

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Abbott's pride and not wanting to look like Labor is what's somehow holding the party together. I have this suspicion that he's squirreled himself away behind Credlin to the point where she's flat out keeping the hounds at bay and he's so lost for actual advice he's left to blunder in front of the press.

There also appears to be a disconnect between what he says and his ministers actually do. In some way he seems to trust his ministers to carry out their tasks with minimal consulting "do what we were voted to do" and then not really realize the damage they've done until it's nearly too late when he has to quietly step in and stop them.

Their tactic now is to attempt to instill fear into the senate by raising taxes and then blame the "obstructionist greens/labor/pup" for the reason. September is going to be quite interesting.

With a DD the party still has enough seats to take a blow and, hypothetically, if they loose Hockey, Pyne, Morrison, Brandis and Abbott the party can still vote in a replacement leader, which could end up being Turnbull, and still lead with a minority.

The likelihood is they end up having to do a mini budget, much like Howard did in the 70's, along with bitterly conceding defeat with PPL combined with asking the RBA for the loan to be repaid to make things look a bit better.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Laserface posted:

Is there a way to see how many films were produced in Australia last year, and which company produced them?
Trade magazines like Inside Film or Screen Hub generally have a subscribers only list or reports you can download. Wikipedia is a good quick guide and Box Office Mojo is handy.

At the moment success are coming through TV rather than cinema, also it's the main market for greater audience accessibility via VOD and DVR.

Gatsby made back $25,282,416 in Australia, just sitting behind Hunger Games and The Hobbit (around $35 mil each) - so it's a bit rich to claim piracy is killing this off by any measure.
It's not actually piracy, it's piss-poor advertising where people don't actually realize the films are out there and miss their limited release, so they end up pirating it as it's the only way to see it as they don't want to sign up to an overpriced VOD service.

To say they're supporting is a pretty thin excuse, Roadshow is likely lobbying Brandis to death to protect their own interests, they also have to compete with FOX and other studios to distribute other box office hits.

Sadly the reality is that it's a pretty depressing outlook. The massive funding cuts looking to stifle the small boom that's going on in Australian production where we finally had enough resources on hand to start taking chances and are starting to create some pretty solid stuff.

The effect as of next year is going to cut the legs away from emerging film development facilities (such as the MRC in Adelaide) and the the only way to get something going is to be an established independent production firm that you have found outside investors for.
The indie market has pretty much been delegated to "oh you've got a DSLR and kickstarter, you'll be right" when you really need much more support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

My grandmother was denied a job at Myers during WWII as she listed her religion as Lutheran, despite the family being in the country since the 1800's, and by then, having an Anglo surname.

Somewhat ironically she ended up getting a job at a switchboard. I suppose having Germans serve you was more offensive than listening in to phone calls.

• Locked thread