Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Obama Africanus posted:

The finns aren't a people to gently caress with though.

USSR 2 Finland 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Obama Africanus posted:

The finns aren't a people to gently caress with though.

Maybe in 1939-1945. Our current (also conscript army) would probably last like five seconds against a new Russian horde pouring past the border. I was in that army, I should know. Once the last member of the generation that actually grew up being afraid of the Russians dies we'll just probably abolish it, it's not like we're using it for anything.

Panzeh posted:

USSR 2 Finland 0

Finland 0 Germany 1 though!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapland_War

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

This is true but if war were like the BCS this wouldn't be much of a win.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
If?

War is 100% like the BCS. It's incomprehensible chaos enacted on mankind by rich white dudes.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Panzeh posted:

This is true but if war were like the BCS this wouldn't be much of a win.

True, but the USSR victories over Finland weren't much of a win either. Finland's military history of that period is pretty murky in general. If you ask a Finn if we won or lost, we'll probably just say "Eh, we survived, who gives a poo poo about anything else".

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 4, 2014

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Obama Africanus posted:

If?

War is 100% like the BCS. It's incomprehensible chaos enacted on mankind by rich white dudes.

Touche.

DarkCrawler posted:

True, but the USSR victories over Finland weren't much of a win either. Finland's military history of that period is pretty murky in general. If you ask a Finn if we won or lost, we'll probably just say "Eh, we survived, who gives a poo poo about anything else".

Good point.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

(U.S. civilian casualties have nothing to IDF in proportion or the enemy/civilian death rate, even less on US soldier/militant death rate).

civ casualties in iraq were loving nuts, we were just better at covering them up (so much for the jews being masters of the media!!!)

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
no you see J-E-W-S

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

white privilege posted:

civ casualties in iraq were loving nuts, we were just better at covering them up (so much for the jews being masters of the media!!!)
When you have so many sectarian death squads running around that even the people funding them can keep track of them all, explaining away a few extra bodies isn't hard.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

The fact that against all that IDF has killed 191 militants with loss of 64 is no less then goddamn sad showing for IDF. Even in 2006 the rate was at least four dead militants per dead IDF soldiers, here it's less then three. That's terrible by Israeli standards.

not sure where you get your numbers but the un claims 1800 dead pali savages, and 68% of those killed are civilians. that means about 576 dead muj to 64 idf, a 9:1 ratio. peep the kdr kid

Anansi The Spider
Jan 30, 2014

loved basic so much I decided to stay

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
I loving love the United States of America

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Helldump Immunity. posted:

I loving love the United States of America

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Anyone who says drop weapons weren't a thing is a loving fool or a liar.

Sometimes that teenage kid being reported as armed in the debrief, or having the ISR guys confirm some dudes looked armed (Fictional drop weapons you can use over and over lol) just had it coming. He was military aged after all, and it was a goddamn war zone, so it's not on anyone that he clearly went for his suicidevestiedAKgrenadecellphone and bought every one of those bullets with a check I'm positive even Iraqi banks wouldn't cash.

What I'm saying is, lol, the dudes that got prosecuted for murder in Iraq and Afghanistan? lol.. That's just lol as all gently caress.

Old boy in white privileges profile gonna rot in prison and we get free college and weed money for killing the same loving muds indiscriminately. LOL, how bad at this whole war crime thing do you have to be to no poo poo earn a Lt. Calley style kangaroo court? You'd have to be stupendous levels of bad, because Iraq was just one big long giant beautiful crime against the muds.

Also I'm watching day of the day higher than giraffe pussy and it's loving surreal as poo poo.

I don't think there's gonna be a nuclear war today, EBB. Looks like I'll be adding a few more autism points in KSP while praying for my beautiful mushroom clouds. :sigh:

Also whip I'm gonna request that if Anansi posts inside the Jewish Thunderdome that he be subjected to the revised protocols of the new elders of Zion, and a proper inquisition be undertaken, or a foreskin sacrificed.

Good lord I'd stab a homeless person for a qualude right now, this movie is loving intense.

Thanks netflix.

:v:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
the whole idea of a drop weapon is to fulfil the creed of 'better to be tried by twelve than carried by six'.

if your platoon was not full of dumbos they wouldn't just use an ak and a mag, they would've had a large enough kit of pistol belts and bandoliers to make the far away fobbit geardo jealous. the grenade pouches just add to the authenticity of someone being an extra hard fighter, imho.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
lol if u didn't have impaled heads on your humvee

like why are you even here

why do u hate america

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Obama Africanus posted:

I don't think there's gonna be a nuclear war today, EBB. Looks like I'll be adding a few more autism points in KSP while praying for my beautiful mushroom clouds. :sigh:

:(

Pictured: Shim and Moker on judement day

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Victor Vermis posted:

lol if u didn't have impaled heads on your humvee

like why are you even here

why do u hate america

This guy.

This guy gets it.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
i knew there was a missing piece of our vehicle's layout.

thought it was a better spot for our litter, turns out we were missing the vital heads-on-pikes angle.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Israel really needs to switch to Napalm and White Phosphorus air stikes. Nothing strikes absolute paralyzing fear in to the hearts of savages like unceasing fire from on-high

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

:(

Pictured: Shim and Moker on judement day

Where did you find this comic? I was searching for it back when Russia invaded Crimea.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
rip moker

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

Israel really needs to switch to Napalm and White Phosphorus air stikes. Nothing strikes absolute paralyzing fear in to the hearts of savages like unceasing fire from on-high

well they used white phosporous during their hospital bombing runs in Cast Lead, so i imagine they consider it a bit passe' now

the hip thing over there atm seems to be flechette shells

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

at the date posted:

Where did you find this comic? I was searching for it back when Russia invaded Crimea.

Google "far side mushroom cloud" and look under images. I'm bummed because I was looking for the one with the aliens on the moon going :jebstare: at earth covered in mushroom clouds but couldn't find it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Panzeh posted:

In fact, the HQ is in tel aviv so that when hamas shoots at it with their more high end missiles and misses, they can bitch about the destruction of civilian buildings and casualties.

Post your source, please.

IDF headquarters has been in Tel Aviv since 1948.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Neurolimal posted:

well they used white phosporous during their hospital bombing runs in Cast Lead, so i imagine they consider it a bit passe' now

the hip thing over there atm seems to be flechette shells

Those are good for old fashioned killing, sure. But they really lack the whole "fire and brimstone" that should be used when annihilating a stunted religious group. It really drives home the point that their gods have died and we're the ones who killed em

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There has to be some sort of mystical component to modern warfare with asymmetric forces. I mean how else is a technologically inert culture going to perceive the kind of forces that have the capability to level a town in a flash?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

There has to be some sort of mystical component to modern warfare with asymmetric forces. I mean how else is a technologically inert culture going to perceive the kind of forces that have the capability to level a town in a flash?

The unwillingness of first world politicians to wholesale decimate cities when the battle doesn't have existential consequences for both sides. You could bring (what's left of) any country to its knees in under an hour, but it makes for bad diplomacy in the global ring.

Plus the inert culture can just say gently caress it- all we have is sand and rocks and it's not going to get any better than this, might as well be as much of a pain in the rear end as possible fighting us to make the invader think that the piles of sand and rocks aren't worth the price.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

illrepute posted:

Does anyone know about the properties of flechettes? All I know is that that the IDF is using them in Gaza and that the US experimented with using them in Vietnam (in small arms rather than shells/bombs like the IDF), but that's about it. People have said that they're lovely and indiscriminate but I don't know how they're really that different from any other kind of shrapnel or if the reaction to them is just a media thing.

Their main property is that they kill people when shot into them at supersonic speed. The most common use these days is in canister shells like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgn1nhUEgo8

One of the tank dudes can probably explain it better, but the advantage of flechettes over metal balls in a canister shell like the one above is their aerodynamic shape, which means they spread out less and are effective over a longer distance. I think they also penetrate cover a bit better than round shot. For most other applications they've been replaced by air bursting shells, which do better against targets in defilade. They aren't any "worse" than regular shrapnel. I'm sure someone in a comments section somewhere is wailing about the horrid wounds caused by flechettes, but there isn't some happy humanitarian shrapnel available as an alternative that doesn't hurt kids and reduces suffering when it tears your flesh and organs. Now, laying down canister shells in an urban area to kill a single rifleman may stretch the definition of proportionate & discriminate force, but it would depend on the target and alternate means available to engage it. Consult your local JAG officer.

People are complaining about flechettes because they have this naive view that there are "good" and "bad" bombs. Israel is rumored to be using Dense Inert Metal Explosive bombs in Gaza, which were designed from the ground up to reduce civilian casualties by replacing the fragmenting jacket with a heavy metal fill that doesn't travel as far from the point of impact, and people are complaining that getting metal dust blasted into you can cause cancer. Setting aside that anyone that close to a bomb impact is probably going to die of blast trauma well before they have to worry about cancer, there aren't any "good" bombs: they weapons that are meant to kill people, and none of them are a good way to die. I'm not saying we should go nuts and start using poison gas again, but it seems a little silly to feel better that a militant was crushed under rubble or bled out from a chunk of metal in his liver instead of from being set on fire or overpressure trauma.*

*incendiary munitions and FAE are still legal, despite what is widely believed.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Never got to fire a can round. Like in the video, the instructions are to use can rounds against massed infantry only. I can't find it but there is a video of a can round shredding and setting a car on fire and the balls will penetrate a short distance through cover found in urban environments. But the old 105mm flechette rounds and the current 120mm can rounds are both short range and indiscriminate- it would suck to be on the receiving end in either case.

Still, you could be the lucky guy who gets hit by the wadding in the can round or a petal from a sabot. I don't think it's going to hurt much to get hit in the head by a few pounds of metal traveling near the speed of sound.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The unwillingness of first world politicians to wholesale decimate cities when the battle doesn't have existential consequences for both sides. You could bring (what's left of) any country to its knees in under an hour, but it makes for bad diplomacy in the global ring.

Plus the inert culture can just say gently caress it- all we have is sand and rocks and it's not going to get any better than this, might as well be as much of a pain in the rear end as possible fighting us to make the invader think that the piles of sand and rocks aren't worth the price.

You're inadvertently making a case for how gloves-on a modern day military fights. And it's absolutely incredible considering that the level of destruction the US has actually demonstrated falls well short of our legitimate capability. That's actually terrifying for anyone not on Team USA.

bloops fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 4, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Consider this my apology, EBB. Mute the first video.
http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...Name=snoopsagan

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

No apology needed, that was my general message. Modern insurgents know we won't flatten villages* and use that to their advantage. The other advantage is that it is an existential battle for them from the perspective of keeping their home country or region under the political and religious system of their choice.

*with some exceptions: http://www.wired.com/2011/02/i-flattened-afghan-villages/

e: oh you meant for the grover thing. we cool man.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Reurters and WSJ are reporting Maliki has authorized air support for the Peshmergas counter-push.

ISIS have taken over the Mosul Dam, and the Ain Zalah oilfield, adding to four other oilfields already under their control. - CBC, Boston Hearld, Reuters.

Phone posting, no links :(

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So I need a bit of explanation on the UN School thing. Did the UN just basically build a building, call it a school and then leave? Or does the UN guard it with their own personal and staff? Does UN staff even do any teaching there?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BexGu posted:

So I need a bit of explanation on the UN School thing. Did the UN just basically build a building, call it a school and then leave? Or does the UN guard it with their own personal and staff? Does UN staff even do any teaching there?

It could be plenty of reasons to have been abandoned; maybe the majority of nearby citizens were displaced, so they moved operations from that building to a more populated area. Maybe they lacked the manpower to operate at that building, and instead consolidated into a larger school. Maybe the building itself has been partially destroyed, and the lack of building materials means it's easier to just move to a new building. Maybe it never was a UN building to begin with, and a militant group decided to just use their signs (which I imagine would still get the UN pretty peeved) to deter bombing

Or, you know, maybe the UN are super evil moslem conspirators providing safe havens for rockets, then suddenly demanding these rockets be removed later and condemning Hamas because, well, ???

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 4, 2014

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Of course, none of that changes the fact that the active UN (and non-UN) hospitals and schools have not been discovered to have ever housed rockets (in spite of the Gaza Strip being used as a testbed for the latest in surveillance technology), and who gives a poo poo if a rocket is in an abandoned building

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
but I thought that gaza was literally packed with people wall to wall and there's no places for HAMAS to fire rockets without endangering anyone and ~*fartz*~

because we know that when counterfire comes in to this "abandoned school" the headlines won't be "Israel literally hitler, shells schools" and not "HAMAS hides rockets in schools again"

Strange how UN labeled buildings and facilities and materials keep getting subverted for HAMAS use. Mystifying even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
holy jesus this thread :psyboom:

• Locked thread