Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I know that the idea of a dispatcher loving a married cop is normal routine.

This is in my department

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Untagged posted:

How about them race riots in the sleepy midwest.

All because "Unarmed Man Shot By Police!"... After he tried to take a cops gun.

Ah so is that what happened then? Can't say I'd paid the story much notice but assumed there was something more to it

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

That's what the official police story is, take it for what you will.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Well poo poo if that's the official story then that's clearly what happened.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

GunForumMeme posted:

Greatest food brought to America was Pizza. Second greatest is anything Amish.

Anyone wants Amish stuff, I am near Lancaster (and Shady Maple) and can put together a package.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Wurzag posted:

Ah so is that what happened then? Can't say I'd paid the story much notice but assumed there was something more to it

As long as you have enough to feel justification to riot that's all that matters.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

chartley posted:

Are your custody Sgts awkward to deal with? Ours are pretty decent and the worst thing they'll do is send the prisoner (and you) to hospital for whatever reason.

I'm aware that yours can refuse to accept the arrest, is that right? I've never heard ours do that, as long as it isn't a ridiculous mess up on the arresting officers part I can't imagine why they'd do that.

Not really, you get a bit of grief sometimes if you take a body in to a different boroughs station, especially just before a change of shift. Some of them can be lovely and yes, they can refuse an arrest. It usually happens in drink/drug arrests where a crucial bit of procedure hasn't been followed. I'm sorry to say for Hezzy that BTP get grief when they turn up. Can a custody sergeant north of the border not refuse detention?

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Not really, you get a bit of grief sometimes if you take a body in to a different boroughs station, especially just before a change of shift. Some of them can be lovely and yes, they can refuse an arrest. It usually happens in drink/drug arrests where a crucial bit of procedure hasn't been followed. I'm sorry to say for Hezzy that BTP get grief when they turn up. Can a custody sergeant north of the border not refuse detention?

They can refuse a detention or an arrest but I've not heard of it happening. Certainly if it's something with some complexity I've had a word with the gaffer and explained it. Not aware of anyone getting a tough time. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I've never had any of my prisoners get turned away but a lot of the Sergeants around my area are very strict with S24 PACE (Necessity criteria to arrest, for my iron bru loving brother). I've been sent 2 hours to the next near custody suite though because of some jurisdictional rubbish that basically boiled down to "I don't like BTP so I'm going to send them 50 miles away"

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae
Once again we may be neighbours but the systems have such minor differences. I've never had to 'justify' the arrest but also know that I can't just present people for minor crimes to the gaffer without a reason. The reason could be that they are no fixed abode so can't be reported or that they needed the jail to prevent a repeat or at least be held until sober.

Our way seems simpler. And that suits me.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

chartley posted:

Once again we may be neighbours but the systems have such minor differences. I've never had to 'justify' the arrest but also know that I can't just present people for minor crimes to the gaffer without a reason. The reason could be that they are no fixed abode so can't be reported or that they needed the jail to prevent a repeat or at least be held until sober.

Our way seems simpler. And that suits me.

It really is simpler. Had a guy the other day who was refused travel because he was drunk and aggressive. He comes back twice in 2 hours and is refused travel each time. He comes back a final time, pint of lager in hand and decides he wants to get arrested so he can have a cell for the night instead of paying for a hotel. He wants to be arrested for being drunk and disorderly, so he is clearly drunk and disorderly but is not doing anything to justify his arrest. Usually in those circumstances we'd arrest them to establish their name and address OR to prevent harm / damage to people / property. But he was doing none of that and we had taken his details earlier in the night.

This prompted him to jump onto the tracks and run to the north. When he got to the edge of the station he realised he had made a terrible mistake and was going to get severely reamed if he was caught, so he led us on a half mile run across the tracks out of the station in pitch black. Now I don't know if you guys have walked on tracks before but it's really hard, let alone running after somebody. Imagine you're running across a beach where there's those really big rocks that shift under your feet, except that everything is covered in diesel and if you touch the wrong thing you'll be instantly killed. Oh yeah, and there's trains flying about at 70mph too.

This wouldn't have happened if the arrest criteria wasn't silly.

We managed to grab him further up the track. He was processed by another officer and charged in the morning. He was arrested for being Drunk and Disorderly as well as Obstructing the Railway. For some reason he was only charged with D&D. Kind of silly considering that he probably caused £2000+ in running costs / delays and the fact we risked our lives to chase him. Less than a minute after we had removed him from the track, a train went zooming past where we had caught him. Really scary to think what would have happened if we were a minute or two late in grabbing him.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
That is a lose lose situation for you really. Who does the charging for your bodies, do you have to rely on the normal territorial constabulary to decide on charges? Because I seriously doubt any of our sergeants are aware of the points to prove for obstructing railways etc and as it doesn't affect our figures I'm guessing it will end up being NFA'd (no further action for the septics in this thread.)

PACE is a piece of poo poo with so many stupid mnemonics and mental tick boxes, when it stops people being arrested for being a drunk arsehole because the grounds are a bit of a grey area then it's effectively failing the public, especially when every passer by is looking at the person and wondering why you aren't putting him in cuffs and taking him away.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Yeah, and sometimes your drunk in public arrestee is so drunk the nurse at the jail refuses to let the person enter the facility and forces you to take them to the ER until their sober enough to be booked in to the jail. The nurses really hate dealing with dunks, but it's called a Drunk Tank for a reason.

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Hezzy posted:

It really is simpler. Had a guy the other day who was refused travel because he was drunk and aggressive. He comes back twice in 2 hours and is refused travel each time. He comes back a final time, pint of lager in hand and decides he wants to get arrested so he can have a cell for the night instead of paying for a hotel. He wants to be arrested for being drunk and disorderly, so he is clearly drunk and disorderly but is not doing anything to justify his arrest. Usually in those circumstances we'd arrest them to establish their name and address OR to prevent harm / damage to people / property. But he was doing none of that and we had taken his details earlier in the night.

This prompted him to jump onto the tracks and run to the north. When he got to the edge of the station he realised he had made a terrible mistake and was going to get severely reamed if he was caught, so he led us on a half mile run across the tracks out of the station in pitch black. Now I don't know if you guys have walked on tracks before but it's really hard, let alone running after somebody. Imagine you're running across a beach where there's those really big rocks that shift under your feet, except that everything is covered in diesel and if you touch the wrong thing you'll be instantly killed. Oh yeah, and there's trains flying about at 70mph too.

This wouldn't have happened if the arrest criteria wasn't silly.

We managed to grab him further up the track. He was processed by another officer and charged in the morning. He was arrested for being Drunk and Disorderly as well as Obstructing the Railway. For some reason he was only charged with D&D. Kind of silly considering that he probably caused £2000+ in running costs / delays and the fact we risked our lives to chase him. Less than a minute after we had removed him from the track, a train went zooming past where we had caught him. Really scary to think what would have happened if we were a minute or two late in grabbing him.

That's all pretty mad. Our arrest powers come from statute legislation but also common law which amongst other things says you can arrest to prevent a repeat of the offence or if the person is no fixed. It appears to be designed by chance or intention to prevent what you gave above. Ideal for dealing with drunks etc. Your example would possibly had him arrested for a breach of the peace or its new close equivalent s38 criminal justice and duly hoovered to a station. He'd then have been punted once he was sober possibly with a £40 ticket or to be reported. Or for that, to court the next lawful day if need be. Simple!

And no, I've never been on railway tracks. That's the sole reason of btp surely?!

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I really enjoy reading people's Facebook over this shooting in St Louis. "there's tanks in the streets and police are indiscriminately shooting protestors!" Sounds legit.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I really enjoy reading people's Facebook over this shooting in St Louis. "there's tanks in the streets and police are indiscriminately shooting protestors!" Sounds legit.

Please oh please let it lead to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwb2glCshzY

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

That is a lose lose situation for you really. Who does the charging for your bodies, do you have to rely on the normal territorial constabulary to decide on charges? Because I seriously doubt any of our sergeants are aware of the points to prove for obstructing railways etc and as it doesn't affect our figures I'm guessing it will end up being NFA'd (no further action for the septics in this thread.)

PACE is a piece of poo poo with so many stupid mnemonics and mental tick boxes, when it stops people being arrested for being a drunk arsehole because the grounds are a bit of a grey area then it's effectively failing the public, especially when every passer by is looking at the person and wondering why you aren't putting him in cuffs and taking him away.

One of our officers went to charge but we don't really have any say in what they get charged with. It's a "This is my custody suite, you do as I say" kind of thing. Pretty lovely.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
police shot a black kid so lets loot nike stores and weave shops. I will show the police my displeaure at them by destroying the livelihood of my fellow community members.

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Hezzy posted:

One of our officers went to charge but we don't really have any say in what they get charged with. It's a "This is my custody suite, you do as I say" kind of thing. Pretty lovely.

That's mad as well, it's my decision as the reporting officer what I charge with. The procurator fiscal mind you can change it after but it's my decision. I'm sure if I went bonkers I'd be reigned in mind you.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

chartley posted:

That's mad as well, it's my decision as the reporting officer what I charge with. The procurator fiscal mind you can change it after but it's my decision. I'm sure if I went bonkers I'd be reigned in mind you.

Is there any way Alex Salmond can be persuaded to invade England and inject a bit of loving common sense to our staggeringly retarded legal system?

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Is there any way Alex Salmond can be persuaded to invade England and inject a bit of loving common sense to our staggeringly retarded legal system?

We could link London to Scotland somehow. Quite frankly, the money would be welcome.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Branis posted:

police shot a black kid so lets loot nike stores and weave shops. I will show the police my displeaure at them by destroying the livelihood of my fellow community members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_England_riots

deja vu

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Branis posted:

No justice, so let's burn down and loot our local businesses.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
At training, about to be exposed to CS gas. I'm hoping it clears out my sinuses as I've had a bit of a cold all week.

e: contacts lenses in or out?

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

beanieson posted:

Don't be a pussy leave them in.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Definitely in and definitely shower with no skivvies on and lean back. Also save whatever shirt you were wearing during the exposure and leave it hanging from a doorframe so some dumb oval office get's it chock in the face when they walk through.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Go look at the gbs ms paint robin williams thread. Now.. jesus christ :lol:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

eh... wasn't as bad as OC :shrug:

Bgwin
Apr 23, 2004

beanieson posted:

At training, about to be exposed to CS gas. I'm hoping it clears out my sinuses as I've had a bit of a cold all week.

I left mine in to test them for a real scenario and they were OK. I'll take the five minutes of death with CS over and hour of horror for OC.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Reign Of Pain posted:

Go look at the gbs ms paint robin williams thread. Now.. jesus christ :lol:

Sour Diesel posted:

just when i thought goatse couldn't get any better

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

beanieson posted:

eh... wasn't as bad as OC :shrug:

Yeah tear gas ain't poo poo on pepper spray.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Tear gas didn't bother me at all, actually. I choked up a little bit, but I was still coherent and able to do the stupid poo poo they asked us to do in the chamber (name five states and spell your name backwards).

OC had me dying though, gently caress that poo poo.

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Branis posted:

Kill yourself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

ehhhhhhnnnnnn posted:

Kill yourself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Edgy poo poo, bro.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
CS gas is some good poo poo

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

School starts next week why did I quit my job oh god what was I thinking? Oh yeah, I don't ever have to shine boots again.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

It all worked out well where I live though, they burnt down the Greggs so the company built a nice new one 500m down the road in another empty shop.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Grem posted:

School starts next week why did I quit my job oh god what was I thinking? Oh yeah, I don't ever have to shine boots again.

I grew up with like 5 people who ended up becoming teachers at the high school we all went to (3 dudes, 2 chicks), all but one guy has been fired/arrested for loving one of their students.

I guess what I'm saying is to have fun :thumbsup:

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009

Grem posted:

A friend of mine went back to become a teacher at our high school. When I bumped in to him he said "What happened? When we were in high school we said that we were going to come back as teachers?"

I told him that I grew up.

I still regret it every summer. And March break. And Christmas holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Man if I could go back to school and rewind the last ten years of my life...

• Locked thread