Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Had a showdown with BTP this morning, a call went out on a cross-force channel for additional units as BTP had (I'm not fibbing here) left a McDonalds at 4am and stumbled on a large pub fight on our patch. By the time we turn up with 12 officers and 3 wagons they have the situation well under control, 4 people in cuffs. One of the 6 BTP officers walks up and says "there you go, your patch, your bodies" naturally we said gently caress off, so it then turns in to a pissing contest to see who can get the highest ranking officer to turn up and give out orders. We won after a chief inspector turned up and BTP could only rustle up a pair of sergeants and said "next time eat your refs in a train station and this won't happen. Also don't be using our nick for those bodies, we are full"

Why can't we just get along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Whale Cancer posted:

Ok, so they're like the UK version of the BART police. Except the BART police shoot black people in the back of the head execution style in the blackest of black cities *Oakland*

Well.....A few years ago we shot a brown person in the back of the head (11 times, while he was face down on the floor) on BTP's patch. There was quite a bit of paperwork for that one though. Not exactly the MET's finest hour.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
My Dad worked on the case, the muzzle of one of the officers pistols was pressed up against the back of his skull and he emptied the magazine, the recoil mean that the muzzle slipped off the back of his head and put a few in to the floor of the carriage.

To be fair on the officers they had just been told unequivocally that Menezes was wearing a suicide vest and standard practice under operation Kratos (thank the US DHS and Shin Bet for cooking that one up for us) means you get shot in the back of the loving melt without any questions. The real blame lies with the stupid loving surveillance officers who weren't doing their job properly.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Genuinely surprised they didn't shoot it.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Wurzag posted:

While not being entirely blameless there are other parties much more deserving of that accusation.

I can't think of anyone else who is more deserving of that accusation. There are plenty of holes and shortcomings in the policies, procedures and the people that made them, but let's not forget that the officer who radioed that he had positively identified the target was actually taking a piss up a wall without telling anyone to cover his OP point and literally only saw the back of De Menezes' head.

A common sense approach would have been to have AFO officers calmly walk up to him and point a glock at the side of his head and do a section 60 search.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Hey, it's our language, you hick bastards, according to Fox news you'll all be speaking Spanish or 'muslim' in a few years anyway. I imagine you all sound like that diabeetus guy IRL.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
250,000 people in my 11 square mile borough and on a Friday night or Saturday we routinely have 600-800 officers on the job :smug: . It be honest it isn't fair how much funding the MET get, although almost a quarter of our funding and maybe 33% of beat officers come from council funding.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
It's a mixture of incredibly expensive property, the southern 2/3rds of the borough are very expensive, the northern third is a mix of high value commercial property and 2 square miles of pretty deprived council estates (projects). Gentrification is forcing most of the poors out and bringing the crime rate down, which our senior officers obviously claim as their hard work. A 2 bedroom 1000sq ft flat even in the poorer areas is going to set you back about £400k ($670000)

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Of course
https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk

Infact there is a curious case on there right now where some gnomes have been arrested for concealing firearms in the garden.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Whats your warrant number? I would like to corroborate this compliant on 2 grounds.

1. You shouldn't be able to run a mile without suffering a catastrophic coronary heart attack, it makes the rest of us look bad. Just be happy with the 5.4 on the beep test

2. He was clearly a jerk, the best place for him would have been spread across several hundred yards of network rail property.

I'm off to a police BBQ today, obviously pork is off the menu as cannibalism is an unconscionable crime and units who had to work today are already making threats to ruin the fun by arresting attendees.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
We never get to meet our dispatchers, but DDO's (detention officers) and probationers get passed around like a bag of sweets. When an attractive new female ends up being assigned to a response team it's like flies round poo poo and half of them end up getting logjammed within the first few months.

Hezzy, does your probationary period get waived because you served as a special?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Hezzy posted:

Nah, it finishes in March. But you're allowed to take OSPRE in the year that your probation ends. Mock is in Oct / Nov with the real thing in January, so I've heard. Looking forward to it! Brushing up on poaching offences and the Badger Act

I've searched someone under the badger act. That was a very :smug: moment. Good luck with the Sergeants exam, you clearly aren't retarded so I'm sure you will pass with flying colours.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Bernard, in shocking news your gaffer has had to actually do some work http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28744013

(serves him right for going to bloody Tottenham)

Surprised he wasn't lynched by the locals. Would have loved to have seen the custody Sergeants face when he realized he couldn't be a patronizing oval office to the arresting officer for once.
Good on him though, there was a story a few months ago about a whole bunch of chief constables having a mothers meeting in Soho, witnessed a theft and then took the robber to the ground and sat on him until regulars turned up.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pickpocket-chased-around-soho-posse-3049487

I heard an awesome story where a Chief Superintendent was driving through someone elses ground recently and switched to the local police radio out of boredom. Overhead an armed robbery in progress, thought 'gently caress it, I'll have some of that', belted it to the scene and nicked an armed suspect with his bare hands and no cuffs.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

chartley posted:

Are your custody Sgts awkward to deal with? Ours are pretty decent and the worst thing they'll do is send the prisoner (and you) to hospital for whatever reason.

I'm aware that yours can refuse to accept the arrest, is that right? I've never heard ours do that, as long as it isn't a ridiculous mess up on the arresting officers part I can't imagine why they'd do that.

Not really, you get a bit of grief sometimes if you take a body in to a different boroughs station, especially just before a change of shift. Some of them can be lovely and yes, they can refuse an arrest. It usually happens in drink/drug arrests where a crucial bit of procedure hasn't been followed. I'm sorry to say for Hezzy that BTP get grief when they turn up. Can a custody sergeant north of the border not refuse detention?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
That is a lose lose situation for you really. Who does the charging for your bodies, do you have to rely on the normal territorial constabulary to decide on charges? Because I seriously doubt any of our sergeants are aware of the points to prove for obstructing railways etc and as it doesn't affect our figures I'm guessing it will end up being NFA'd (no further action for the septics in this thread.)

PACE is a piece of poo poo with so many stupid mnemonics and mental tick boxes, when it stops people being arrested for being a drunk arsehole because the grounds are a bit of a grey area then it's effectively failing the public, especially when every passer by is looking at the person and wondering why you aren't putting him in cuffs and taking him away.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

chartley posted:

That's mad as well, it's my decision as the reporting officer what I charge with. The procurator fiscal mind you can change it after but it's my decision. I'm sure if I went bonkers I'd be reigned in mind you.

Is there any way Alex Salmond can be persuaded to invade England and inject a bit of loving common sense to our staggeringly retarded legal system?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Definitely in and definitely shower with no skivvies on and lean back. Also save whatever shirt you were wearing during the exposure and leave it hanging from a doorframe so some dumb oval office get's it chock in the face when they walk through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Obama Africanus posted:

How'd you get hurt?

Rotator cuff injury from beating a minority with a baton.

• Locked thread