Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

GunForumMeme posted:

I'll wait until the other side of the story gets posted to pass judgement. :colbert:

I don't need to, I'm right behind the conventional force. Get it right up you Hornby police!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Whale Cancer posted:

What is BTP?

Hezzy's mob.

It's a separately funded police force for the railway network covering train stations etc. They have full powers of a constable but in my experience work, erm, differently. Certainly in my area and experience at least.

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Surprised he wasn't lynched by the locals. Would have loved to have seen the custody Sergeants face when he realized he couldn't be a patronizing oval office to the arresting officer for once.

Are your custody Sgts awkward to deal with? Ours are pretty decent and the worst thing they'll do is send the prisoner (and you) to hospital for whatever reason.

I'm aware that yours can refuse to accept the arrest, is that right? I've never heard ours do that, as long as it isn't a ridiculous mess up on the arresting officers part I can't imagine why they'd do that.

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Not really, you get a bit of grief sometimes if you take a body in to a different boroughs station, especially just before a change of shift. Some of them can be lovely and yes, they can refuse an arrest. It usually happens in drink/drug arrests where a crucial bit of procedure hasn't been followed. I'm sorry to say for Hezzy that BTP get grief when they turn up. Can a custody sergeant north of the border not refuse detention?

They can refuse a detention or an arrest but I've not heard of it happening. Certainly if it's something with some complexity I've had a word with the gaffer and explained it. Not aware of anyone getting a tough time. Maybe I've just been lucky.

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae
Once again we may be neighbours but the systems have such minor differences. I've never had to 'justify' the arrest but also know that I can't just present people for minor crimes to the gaffer without a reason. The reason could be that they are no fixed abode so can't be reported or that they needed the jail to prevent a repeat or at least be held until sober.

Our way seems simpler. And that suits me.

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Hezzy posted:

It really is simpler. Had a guy the other day who was refused travel because he was drunk and aggressive. He comes back twice in 2 hours and is refused travel each time. He comes back a final time, pint of lager in hand and decides he wants to get arrested so he can have a cell for the night instead of paying for a hotel. He wants to be arrested for being drunk and disorderly, so he is clearly drunk and disorderly but is not doing anything to justify his arrest. Usually in those circumstances we'd arrest them to establish their name and address OR to prevent harm / damage to people / property. But he was doing none of that and we had taken his details earlier in the night.

This prompted him to jump onto the tracks and run to the north. When he got to the edge of the station he realised he had made a terrible mistake and was going to get severely reamed if he was caught, so he led us on a half mile run across the tracks out of the station in pitch black. Now I don't know if you guys have walked on tracks before but it's really hard, let alone running after somebody. Imagine you're running across a beach where there's those really big rocks that shift under your feet, except that everything is covered in diesel and if you touch the wrong thing you'll be instantly killed. Oh yeah, and there's trains flying about at 70mph too.

This wouldn't have happened if the arrest criteria wasn't silly.

We managed to grab him further up the track. He was processed by another officer and charged in the morning. He was arrested for being Drunk and Disorderly as well as Obstructing the Railway. For some reason he was only charged with D&D. Kind of silly considering that he probably caused £2000+ in running costs / delays and the fact we risked our lives to chase him. Less than a minute after we had removed him from the track, a train went zooming past where we had caught him. Really scary to think what would have happened if we were a minute or two late in grabbing him.

That's all pretty mad. Our arrest powers come from statute legislation but also common law which amongst other things says you can arrest to prevent a repeat of the offence or if the person is no fixed. It appears to be designed by chance or intention to prevent what you gave above. Ideal for dealing with drunks etc. Your example would possibly had him arrested for a breach of the peace or its new close equivalent s38 criminal justice and duly hoovered to a station. He'd then have been punted once he was sober possibly with a £40 ticket or to be reported. Or for that, to court the next lawful day if need be. Simple!

And no, I've never been on railway tracks. That's the sole reason of btp surely?!

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Hezzy posted:

One of our officers went to charge but we don't really have any say in what they get charged with. It's a "This is my custody suite, you do as I say" kind of thing. Pretty lovely.

That's mad as well, it's my decision as the reporting officer what I charge with. The procurator fiscal mind you can change it after but it's my decision. I'm sure if I went bonkers I'd be reigned in mind you.

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Is there any way Alex Salmond can be persuaded to invade England and inject a bit of loving common sense to our staggeringly retarded legal system?

We could link London to Scotland somehow. Quite frankly, the money would be welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

GunForumMeme posted:

Where I was all the detectives would be standing at the triage desk trying to flag down someone, but the nurses would bend over backwards for a uni ( :quagmire: ).
It's all about who lends a hand and gets involved dealing with angry violent folk in the ward or the accident and emergency area.

In other words, uniform and non uniform both have the friends round here.

chartley fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 30, 2014

• Locked thread