Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Let's see if this works.

There's a few of us in Colorado here, seems mostly around the Denver/Front Range area. Maybe we could use our own little pocket of space to discuss road conditions, possible meetups, and bitch about 6 months of icy roads up in the mountains. If this takes off, I'll try to update the OP with useful stuff like links, routes, and pictures of white people wearing Chacos and taking their dog with them to the brewery in their Subaru.

If desired, I could also keep a running list of goons with their approximate location in the OP.

HenryJLittlefinger - Fort Collins area; Yamaha XJ600N
Akion - Denver, Highlands/Sunnyside area;
Radbot - southwest Denver; Honda CTX700N
Discomancer - Boulder; Suzuki VStrom 650
PlasticSun - Denver, Baker/West Wash Park area; 03 F650 GS Dakar, 08 ST1300
bj2001holt - Fort Collins/Steamboat Springs; CRF450X and various other dirt-oriented machines
TEASE MY NECKBEARD - Denver; Suzuki B-King
ChlamydiaJones - Aurora; Triumph Tiger, BMW R100GS, 1980 BMW R100, MuZ Skorpion
Riven - Highlands; BMW F800S
axia - Golden; DR-Z
Mexican Radio - ?, DR-Z
Space Whale - Broomfield; Ninja 300

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Highlands/Sunnyside here. Currently rocking a DRZ400SM, and down to ride whatever on the weekends. I enjoy hopping curbs, riding twisties, and long moonlit wheelies down the Cherry Creek Bike Trail.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Southwest Denver here, riding a Honda CTX700N. I'm an intermediate level rider who's as comfortable in jeans as I am in a suit, and I enjoy riding (mostly) paved roads in the mountains.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I'm in Boulder, on a 2007 VStrom 650.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Moving to the Arvada area next month. Not a street rider, just offroad with my KTM.

Any tips for the area? riding or just living in general.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Don't admit that you're a newcomer, eat green chili, and spend as much time in the mountains as possible.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'll be visiting Denver in September (my first time to CO!) and might have a free day to ride around. Is there anywhere closeby to rent a bike? Googlemaps shows me an Eaglerider and a bunch of ATV rental places. I'm not exactly sure that I'll have time, but would like to prepare in case I can make it happen.

Radbot posted:

Don't admit that you're a newcomer,

Why not?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Because in a place populated almost entirely by transplants from the midwest, the only way for nonnatives to assert superiority is to let you know they've been there longer than you.

I love living here, but gently caress do people have some screwy ideas about what living in Colorado does for their personal identity. And a lot of the natives just love to hate us transplants.

Also,

Radbot posted:

eat green chili, and spend as much time in the mountains as possible.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 1, 2014

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I'm in Denver, in the Baker/West Wash Park area.

03 F650 GS Dakar
08 ST1300

I've racked up a ton of miles throughout the state and ridden most of the dual sportable passes if you've got questions on various routes I'm happy to help.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Radbot. Are you doing the OMG road tomorrow, or is that Sunday? I have a show at RR on Saturday Night, but could maybe swing the road in the AM? I figure if we're both gonna try and tackle it, we may as well do so with two of us.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Green chili? never had it in all my visits. I'll have to remember that.

Almost everybody I've met in Denver are transplants. The ones who were truly native were either slightly ashamed, or very, very weird.

Looking to buy a diesel pickup just so I can roll coal through downtown boulder.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Kony Kid posted:

Looking to buy a diesel pickup just so I can roll coal through downtown boulder.

You're the other kind of Coloradan I hate.

Akion posted:

I have a show at RR on Saturday Night

gently caress you I wanted to go to that show so bad.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 2, 2014

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

alright great! In other news I have this ongoing stereotype that Coloradans are not capable of sarcasm.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Kony Kid posted:

alright great! In other news I have this ongoing stereotype that Coloradans are not capable of sarcasm.

I got it, I was just adding another layer.

There's a lot of 17-year-olds that come down from Cheyenne and Laramie that do that on the weekends through old town. Cummins turbo diesel light to light matches.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You're the other kind of Coloradan I hate.

gently caress you I wanted to go to that show so bad.

I just sold my last extra ticket like... half an hour ago. :( All my friends bailed on me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gently caress I70 between Empire and Hwy 6. gently caress it.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

gently caress I70

FTFY

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Akion posted:

Radbot. Are you doing the OMG road tomorrow, or is that Sunday? I have a show at RR on Saturday Night, but could maybe swing the road in the AM? I figure if we're both gonna try and tackle it, we may as well do so with two of us.

poo poo, didn't see this until now. Want to try some other time? What do your weekends normally look like?

Instead, I did Mt. Evans via the Squaw Peak Rd. route. I still can't get over that I can get to the highest paved road in North America (or Europe for that matter) and be home in time for lunch.

Gotta admit, it's kinda fun to hoon on that road. Scares the poo poo out of people.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

poo poo, didn't see this until now. Want to try some other time? What do your weekends normally look like?

Instead, I did Mt. Evans via the Squaw Peak Rd. route. I still can't get over that I can get to the highest paved road in North America (or Europe for that matter) and be home in time for lunch.

Gotta admit, it's kinda fun to hoon on that road. Scares the poo poo out of people.

Yep! I did that one last weekend (Evans via Squaw). It got cold up there. My hooning stopped about 13,500 feet when my jetting became an issue.

I'm supposed to do a ride with a local SuMo group Sat or Sun, but not sure which yet. I'd really like to get down to Salida/BV and do Cottonwood Pass this month, as well.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Considering riding out to CB on Saturday and camping. Not decided yet. If anyone has any other ideas or wants to ride, lemme know?

EDIT: To add, if I camp I'm going to be riding with a backpack on, so... slowly.

Akion fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 8, 2014

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Skier is riding out from Oregon and I'm meeting him in Gunnison on Friday, we'll be camping around there then heading further south to Telluride for some climbing then back to Denver by Tuesday. If you're in the area you're welcome to come with us, Skier rides safe, I ride somewhat fast.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Possibly. Depends on the weather.

Also, this picture almost got my rear end kicked by the guy that runs the Chili stand on Santa Fe. He was convinced I sprayed his trucks because I stopped to take a picture.

Also did some SuMo riding down around Sedalia yesterday. First time on dirt, and first time doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeAOda8fQ-g

Akion fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I am not afraid of Hell, there is nothing Satan can devise that is worse than I70 heading back into Denver on Sunday afternoon. However bad you think it will be, it is always worse. Always. You'd think I would have learned my lesson after 5 years of being here.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, gently caress 70. If you're going to get back into town, just jump off at Evergreen and take Bear Creek Canyon back in. It takes as long as 70 with bad traffic, but it's prettier and twisties.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hell, jumping off at Idaho Springs and going to Echo Lake/Squaw Peak Rd can even be faster, especially if your destination is south of the city.

I rode from Ned to Estes Park and back to Boulder on a short ride yesterday. That one gravel section of the 36 is seriously horrible - just mounds of loose gravel in certain sections, loving scary on a road bike. They don't sign that on the east/southbound side :(

On the plus side, the new asphalt is good looking tarmac and not chip-seal nonsense.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Hell, jumping off at Idaho Springs and going to Echo Lake/Squaw Peak Rd can even be faster, especially if your destination is south of the city.

I rode from Ned to Estes Park and back to Boulder on a short ride yesterday. That one gravel section of the 36 is seriously horrible - just mounds of loose gravel in certain sections, loving scary on a road bike. They don't sign that on the east/southbound side :(

On the plus side, the new asphalt is good looking tarmac and not chip-seal nonsense.

I did that section on my Harley shortly before I sold it. Scary poo poo.

Also, W/R/T the 12% grade on the OMG road, I did a stretch of road down near Sedalia two weeks ago that was 15% and packed dirt, didn't feel too bad.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So, anyone wanna ride on Saturday?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I would love to, just got some poo poo sorted out in my carbs and electricals.

However,

Tour de Fat is happening in Fort Collins and I will be drinking heavily in a costume.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ahhh yes, I forgot about the TDF. I normally just do the Denver one.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Akion posted:

I did that section on my Harley shortly before I sold it. Scary poo poo.

Also, W/R/T the 12% grade on the OMG road, I did a stretch of road down near Sedalia two weeks ago that was 15% and packed dirt, didn't feel too bad.

What bike were you on? That must have been Highway 67 outside of Sedalia, right? I bailed on that one - once the grade started increasing, the ABS wouldn't let me brake nearly at all, and I wimped out.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

What bike were you on? That must have been Highway 67 outside of Sedalia, right? I bailed on that one - once the grade started increasing, the ABS wouldn't let me brake nearly at all, and I wimped out.

Yes! I was on my DRZ. Wellington was fun on a bun, too. River crossings are... interesting.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Random question for you CO folks... what is the average riding season there? Do you guys park the bikes in mid fall or just wear winter gear and tough out the colder temperatures? Does anyone ride through the winter with heated gear or do the temps go down too low?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

hot sauce posted:

Random question for you CO folks... what is the average riding season there? Do you guys park the bikes in mid fall or just wear winter gear and tough out the colder temperatures? Does anyone ride through the winter with heated gear or do the temps go down too low?

The big problem (in my opinion) is being caught in snow or icy conditions. I'll go out at nearly any temperature, but I won't go out if there's any risk of ice on the roads (and unfortunately that happens pretty soon in the mountains).

So basically, I'll ride around Denver for weeks after I hang up the saddle for riding in the mountains, as we tend to get nice, snow-free days down here well into November.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'll ride front range year-round as long as it's not snowy/icy (and I may ride a few snow days this winter since my commute is like... 2.5 miles).

But yeah, the mountains kind of become a no-go somewhere in October-Dec depending on how far up it is.

The Supermoto group I ride with still does rides all year, we just switch from the twisties to the industrial parks in the winter.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
All said, the Front Range has a nice, long riding season, even if you're a bit of a pansy (like me). There's probably only 3.5 solid unrideable months out of the year, if you only count snowy/icy days (since there's plenty of beautiful days interspersed), and that's if you're running a street-only bike and not some kind of crazy person on a sumo.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Alright. Who wants to ride this weekend? I need to put my new carb and clutch on the bike one day, but I am pretty flexible on which day that is. Both days look like they'll be decent, and I am down for riding whatever as long as it's not a ton of Superslab.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The aspens are turning. Peak colors up at Muddy and Rabbit Ears passes. I headed up Poudre Canyon yesterday, but didn't make it all the way to Cameron Pass.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's getting too dark to take my ~7a rides. The dappled sunlight doesn't subside until nearly noon now, if you're in a canyon. :(

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

Suppose I could add myself to the list here. Fort Collins/Steamboat Springs, CRF450X and various other dirt oriented machines. I often lead and participate in rides with the NCTR group. Check out the website, we meet second Tuesday of every month in Loveland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I hit Tarryall road this weekend, they are paving over some of the southern end, but it was totally worth it. Really scenic, and a decent alternative to that awful stretch of 285 through Fairplay if you have the extra hour or so to take the long way. Plus, it would make a good loop early season when combined with the Deckers run.

• Locked thread