Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Me and a buddy rode up Poudre Canyon, over Cameron Pass to Walden, north to Laramie, and back to Fort Collins on Sunday. Beautiful foilage, gettin' cold up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Discomancer posted:

I hit Tarryall road this weekend, they are paving over some of the southern end, but it was totally worth it. Really scenic, and a decent alternative to that awful stretch of 285 through Fairplay if you have the extra hour or so to take the long way. Plus, it would make a good loop early season when combined with the Deckers run.

Did exactly this ride last weekend. That chipseal with *FRESH OIL* kinda sucks though, and man there's at least 10 miles of it. But then Deckers makes it all worth it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Anyone going to this?

http://www.coloradomotorcycleexpo.com/

Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

He's under a lot of stress alright?
^ I want to buy a weekend pass to this. The swap meet sounds huge and I bet the people watching is worth the :20bux:

I am a complete newbie to motorcycles, but I am in the process of getting my permit, taking an MSF course, and buying my first bike.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I moved to Denver earlier this month. I am considering riding a little bit tomorrow because its supposed to be fairly warm and sunny. I was planning on riding from like noon to three. Is attempting to ride anywhere near the mountains certain death?

If not, is anyone else interested? I have yet to make moto-buddies, but I am absolutely stoked for the real riding season.

Also, for the OP: 2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (~7 years riding).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I was wondering this exact same thing. Akion - think it's safe to ride up/in the foothills?

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I'm going for it! (Assuming my bike's battery isn't dead)

update - Went through Bristol and on a ways. Roads were wet in places, but no ice. Bike is now filthy, but I am happy to have had a chance to ride. Also the hp loss at altitudue is hilarious. Definitely scenery that doesn't exist in Dallas (my prior home).

TEASE MY NECKBEARD fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 26, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Awesome! I think you've given me the reassurance I needed to ride tomorrow. Where's Bristol, by the way? Only city in found on the map was way out in SE CO.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Whoop's I meant Bailey. I mostly just went that way because I drove it a couple of weeks ago in my car and it wasn't icy.

Fairly chilly at elevation though!

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

I was wondering this exact same thing. Akion - think it's safe to ride up/in the foothills?

Sorry, I've been in the process of buying a house. It's probably fine as long as you stay out of the canyons right now. They have too many shady patches that you can run up on quickly to be worth risking it.

Also, LOL at asking a Supermoto rider what is safe.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

I'm going for it! (Assuming my bike's battery isn't dead)

update - Went through Bristol and on a ways. Roads were wet in places, but no ice. Bike is now filthy, but I am happy to have had a chance to ride. Also the hp loss at altitudue is hilarious. Definitely scenery that doesn't exist in Dallas (my prior home).

Are you rejetted for altitude yet? My DRZ was fine almost all the way up Evans last year and it was jetted for 5280.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I haven't had the bike tuned yet. The ECU is supposed to adjust and self tune, but I am sure a custom job would likely be more effective. I'm not sure its possible to tune it in such a way that totally offsets all the lost HP, though.

I'll probably get it tuned and heated grips installed sometime soon.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Akion posted:

Sorry, I've been in the process of buying a house.
:hfive: new house bros. I just closed and moved in this weekend. My only riding lately was getting my bike from the old house to the new one.

quote:

Also, LOL at asking a Supermoto rider what is safe.
Yeah but you used to be a Harley rider.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Did a quick ride from Denver to 6 West, to Central City, then to Nederland via PtP. Completely snow and ice free the entire way. Insane, and insanely fun!

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

:hfive: new house bros. I just closed and moved in this weekend. My only riding lately was getting my bike from the old house to the new one.

Yeah but you used to be a Harley rider.

I backed out of the one I was on. Too much wrong with it, so I'm still a renter.

gently caress the real estate market here. Another reason for me to hate Californians.

Been riding the last few days. So nice (not that I haven't been riding all winter, but it's nice not freezing while I do it).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Awwww yeah. Another winter weekend riding in the mountains is coming up! High of 50 in Ned today.

edit: Nice and clear all the way from Denver to Ned along PtP.

edit2: Riding on Saturday has reconvinced me that this is the best state in the nation.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 7, 2015

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Yeah, the riding was fantastic.

I went up to Evergreen and beyond. Roads started to get a little sketchy from the sand, but otherwise fun. I basically just kept a fairly low speed. The b-king is a big bike and waggling the tail on sand goes from fun to scary pretty fast, haha.

I attempted a ride with a group from meetup.com. It was a bunch of slapdicks with no helmets or common sense. The group also had fairly agressive canned-ham riders. Overall, terrible experience. I ditched out and went solo after about 45 minutes.

I've got a fairly nuts schedule for the next few months, so I'll probably have to plan a few of my springtime rides out a few weeks in advance. I'll make sure to post them up here for those who are interested in joining.

Also may be adding a wr250x to the collection soon >:]

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Heads up Colorado goons! This will be the last weekend to ride in the mountains for awhile. Get up there and tear it up.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dammit, I want to so bad. But Saturday is Valentine's Day and I'm going to go adopt a kitten.

Maybe I can sneak out Sunday for a little Rist Canyon action.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dammit, I want to so bad. But Saturday is Valentine's Day and I'm going to go adopt a kitten.

Maybe I can sneak out Sunday for a little Rist Canyon action.

Looks like it may be snowing Sunday :( C'mon, sneak a quick ride and get home before noon!

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've been buzzing around town like a madman. However, I seem to have contracted the flu so no mountain riding for me.

loving ride home yesterday sucked. Violent shivers don't do well for riding a motorcycle.

On the off chance, any of you guys live in the North/West Wash park/Alamo Placito area and have garage space? I'm under contract on a condo there and I'd happily pay for garage space for my bike.

It's basically at Speer and Clarkson.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm near Federal and Alameda, so probably not close enough for you, but I do have plenty of no-restriction street parking and a garage.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's a beautiful day and I'm too hung over to ride right now.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
Aurora
Triumph Tiger (works), 90 R100GS (works), 80 R100 (striped the loving exhaust nuts goddamnit loving poo poo), MuZ Skorpion (track bike, not tracked in years since I am boring and have three kids who need me alive).

I very much need to do Guanella Pass in the near future, is it even open? I assume not....

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I don't think it opens until around Labor Day, if I remember correctly.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Anyone got an idea of a decent ride for this Saturday? Weather looks nice!

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Radbot posted:

I don't think it opens until around Labor Day, if I remember correctly.

I think you mean memorial day. CJ if you feel like a ride sometime let me know.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Anyone got an idea of a decent ride for this Saturday? Weather looks nice!

Gonna do Golden Gate Canyon, at least. I wonder if Pine/Deckers is totally clear.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Did this morning's storm not accumulate? It was lovely driving in Castle Rock.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Did this morning's storm not accumulate? It was lovely driving in Castle Rock.

Accumulate? It barely rained in Denver. Where are the roads snowy, now?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

From about Monument to E470 it was slushy and accumulating on the shoulders. It looked like there was a lot coming from the west. Radar showed a big chunk of nasty coming across south Denver. It was mostly just rain in Brighton, Commerce City, Parker, etc. that was around noon yesterday though.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

From about Monument to E470 it was slushy and accumulating on the shoulders. It looked like there was a lot coming from the west. Radar showed a big chunk of nasty coming across south Denver. It was mostly just rain in Brighton, Commerce City, Parker, etc. that was around noon yesterday though.

Wow, that's crazy... no, I don't believe there was any accumulation at all in Denver.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Just found this thread. I'm in Highlands and ride an F800S.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The past few days have been such good riding, as long as you're OK with shitloads of wind!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I have three days off in a row and it loving snows. Seriously on the edge of self harm over here.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, I drove home from Meeker last night and the passes were lovely.

But I guess we need the snowpack.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

I have three days off in a row and it loving snows. Seriously on the edge of self harm over here.

That's why I got a Supermoto.

Snow in the mountains? Wheelies in the office parks!

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Anyone have a Denver area shop they trust? This will be the first time having someone else work on my bikes. I need to get some spare time. Its a suzuki b-king if that matters.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Anyone have a Denver area shop they trust? This will be the first time having someone else work on my bikes. I need to get some spare time. Its a suzuki b-king if that matters.

I've heard good things about Rolling Wrench - has anyone here tried them?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I rode to Taos and back last weekend. Here's some pictures.

Alligator farm down in the San Luis Valley.

North end of the San Luis Valley.

Collegiate Peaks

Cold, wet, lots of freezing rain and hail all through the high country. South Park was especially cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Lots of rain lately. other than that I was quite pleased with the winter/spring weather so far in my first couple months of living here.

• Locked thread