Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Kony Kid posted:

Lots of rain lately. other than that I was quite pleased with the winter/spring weather so far in my first couple months of living here.

Don't knock it, we need that rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Heads up, my poo poo got stolen last night near Wash Park.

Black 2008 DRZ400SM. Mostly de-stickered other than a little on the tank, suzuki stickers on the swingarms/forks, and two small turtle-shaped stickers on the rear plastics. Full yosh exhaust and an FCR-39MX. 8k miles on it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh man that is hosed. I know how you feel, you have my full sympathy. I'll keep an eye out up here.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not holding out a ton of hope that I'll ever see it again. Honestly this may be it for me for a while. I don't have off-street parking and the cost to rent space in a garage is as much as my insurance costs annually. May just take the money and buy a new Kayak or something.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Was it insured? Just buy another one and insure it well.

I make it a point to not get sentimentally attached to bikes for this reason. It could get stolen or wrecked so easily. Just pick up another one and wheelie off into the sunset.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

Was it insured? Just buy another one and insure it well.

I make it a point to not get sentimentally attached to bikes for this reason. It could get stolen or wrecked so easily. Just pick up another one and wheelie off into the sunset.

Yeah, I had full coverage. Just sending all my paperwork off to insurance today.

Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

He's under a lot of stress alright?
Who wants to go on a group ride this weekend? I want to tear up some curvy mountain roads!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So anybody riding?

Here's some pictures from a couple weeks ago. A buddy and I rode from Fort Collins up to Cherokee Park SWA mostly on dirt roads on our Secas.

Stove Prairie Road

Poudre Canyon

South of Red Feather

Prairie Divide

Near Cherokee Park

Where the gently caress are we...

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 14, 2015

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.
Hey guys, I don't get on this forum much, but would love to meet, and ride with, some other riders in the area.

I live in Golden and ride a DRZ. I'm down for almost any kind of riding though I don't often have weekends off (retail slavery). I know it's a bit late in the season but maybe next year or if we get some good days in the future...

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you've got a DRZ, riding season never ends. Unless your bike gets stolen.

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

Radbot posted:

Excellent point. It was more a reference to shorter days than colder ones. Maybe some lighting upgrades are in my future...

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Truth.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
I sold my R6 last month and bought a DRZ yesterday and promptly got a front flat on the way home from the DMV. My dual sporting career is off to a p good start.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mexican Radio posted:

I sold my R6 last month and bought a DRZ yesterday and promptly got a front flat on the way home from the DMV. My dual sporting career is off to a p good start.

I was averaging 1 flat a month on my DRZ-SM. It just means you are doing it right.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Who's going riding this weekend?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm riding a snowboard this weekend...

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I rode my Mountain Bike all weekend while missing my SuMo. On the upside, the fucker that stole it got sentenced to a few years so there's that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Akion posted:

On the upside, the fucker that stole it got sentenced to a few years so there's that.

Oh hell yes.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Turns out he was an idiot, riding like a douche out in Lakewood. The bike led the cops to his U-Haul full of stolen ID's and Credit Cards.

Bam, 3 felonies. Aggravated Motor Vehicle Theft 2, Possession of Stolen Financial Instruments, Possession of Stolen ID. The LPD Detective was like "I know you don't want to hear it, but your bike getting stolen helped a lot of people". I was just like "Well, insurance paid me 2.5k more than I had in the bike so eh. Can I come down to the station and punch the guy a few times?"

EDIT - Well gently caress. I just got a letter from the DA. Asswipe got a plea deal and is only going down for the Identity Theft charge. :(

Akion fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 18, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It was an awesome weekend. Anyone ride?

I did Rist, Buckhorn, Big Thompson, and St. Vrain canyons. They weren't too overrun with lookyloos refusing to use the slow vehicle pullouts, but still a handful.

Stove Prairie

Buckhorn Canyon

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Akion posted:

EDIT - Well gently caress. I just got a letter from the DA. Asswipe got a plea deal and is only going down for the Identity Theft charge. :(

There's a chance he got a sweet plea deal because his info led to a bigger fish. Bright side, bright side!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was gonna ride up Boulder Canyon to Nederland and then along the Peak to Peak to Estes, then down Lefthand Canyon to Lyons and back home yesterday. It was so loving hot that I was feeling dizzy by the time I got to Boulder. I turned around, headed back up Little Thompson Canyon, and ran into standstill traffic about halfway up and turned back around. I had to stop and soak my clothes and let the bike cool off. Thermometer said 120 in the sun, and never got below 100 while I was moving. In Lyons, I watched a guy on a cruiser almost get smoked by a truck turning left across our lanes. Cruiser rider decided to pass me on the right through a little gap while I was waiting for the truck in front of me to turn left because I saw exactly what would have happened, and it did. Classic back wheel lockup, smoke and screeching. Would have layerdanned if he had been going any faster. gently caress weekend traffic in Lyons.

It was a miserable loving day to ride.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Those secas look really nice. My naked bike fetish is getting worse.

Anyone here commute on 36 to 25 to downtown? Am I the only one who is confused by the double? apex on the toll road ramp from 36 to 25?

Also, what are some good riding roads besides 93 and the one to coal creek? I live in Broomfield fwiw.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There's a host of them north and west of Denver.

Hwy 285 west out of Morrison is great when there's no traffic. It's the best way to get to South Park and the west slope in general from Denver area. Connect to Buena Vista, Salida, Leadville, Alamosa, Breckenridge, Vail, Aspen, etc however you want. There are no bad roads once you're west of say Conifer. 285 and 17 through the San Luis are perfectly straight for a long time, but it's a beautiful ride. South of you, there's 67 between Castle Rock and Woodland Park, and 105 between Castle Rock and Monument. Easy after work rides while there's daylight.

72, "the one to Coal Creek" will take you to Nederland. From there, the Peak to Peak highway (still Hwy 72) will take you north to Hwy 7. The entirety of 7 between Lyons and Estes Park is fun. 36 between Lyons and Estes Park is fun. All of these are favorites for Denver area riders and drivers, though, so expect traffic to be generally heavy on weekends and steadily getting worse from now until the snow hits.

Hwy 14 up Poudre Canyon from Fort Collins to Walden is good if you don't get too much traffic.

From Walden, in the center of North Park, you can continue Hwy 14 to 40 at Muddy Pass. 40 is pretty phenomenal between I 70 and Salt Lake City. Not a stretch on that road I don't like, except through a few of the towns it passes through (Steamboat and Winter Park are kind of irritating). It can get a little monotonous out west in Moffat County, especially between Maybell and Jensen, UT, but it's still nice.

The Butler Map for Colorado is a good resource.

Re: The Secas, they're a great bike. They would make a very reasonable upgrade from a Ninja 300. However, they're 90s technology, so carburetors, no ABS, zero modern electronics, and a little heavy. But they're more powerful if maintained well and very capable of both daily riding and long hauls. I stopped upgrading when I got mine. If you're interested, I can tell you a lot more about them. My riding buddy is probably the best resource on them in this country and lives in Denver.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 31, 2016

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I JUST realized the US 36/I2 5 ramp is reversed morning/evening.

The loving apex there always throws me off. Unless I cut way inside (inside the white line) it feels too fast.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Then slow down.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hey I recently went to CO for the first time and it very quickly took the #1 spot on "states where I want to dick around for a month with a motorcycle and a tent." At one point I drove from CO Springs back to Denver via 67 and 85 and it was one of the prettiest drives I've ever done. You are lucky to live there.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Listen to this guy. After 4.5 years and 7 track days, I go slower on most clover leaf ramps than I do in my car. I found one off camber one and one with a huge dip right at the apex. Nopenopenope

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

NTM the huge amount of grit that collects in the apexes and especially just outside the lines. And busted retread, and shoes, and tie-downs, and coolers, and buckets...

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
This is good advice. ^^^

Fwiw I was watching the guardrail instead of the actual white line or the curve of the ramp. Watch what you watch.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Any time there's a bump over a cloverleaf there will be a big slick of oil 3ft beyond. I park it and take them pretty much straight up if I can.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I've noticed a lot of ramps here are off camber. Is this by design or just a fun accident?

Also my first real winter in 10 years will be here. About when should I just park & cover the ninja? Or can I ride on non snowy days with proper gear?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
You can ride in the winter here. I've done it to avoid parking at school and I'm not even big into riding on the road. Winter temperatures can vary from cold as gently caress to mid 50's pretty regularly but the road is dry almost always. Even after the typical snow storm the road will be dry at most two days later. Also, off ramps are banked by design, at least everywhere I've ever lived. You may not have noticed until you rode them on motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

alnilam posted:

Hey I recently went to CO for the first time and it very quickly took the #1 spot on "states where I want to dick around for a month with a motorcycle and a tent." At one point I drove from CO Springs back to Denver via 67 and 85 and it was one of the prettiest drives I've ever done. You are lucky to live there.

Deckers Rd/67 between Woodland Park and Pine Junction is loving amazing.

• Locked thread