Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Southwest Denver here, riding a Honda CTX700N. I'm an intermediate level rider who's as comfortable in jeans as I am in a suit, and I enjoy riding (mostly) paved roads in the mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Don't admit that you're a newcomer, eat green chili, and spend as much time in the mountains as possible.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Akion posted:

Radbot. Are you doing the OMG road tomorrow, or is that Sunday? I have a show at RR on Saturday Night, but could maybe swing the road in the AM? I figure if we're both gonna try and tackle it, we may as well do so with two of us.

poo poo, didn't see this until now. Want to try some other time? What do your weekends normally look like?

Instead, I did Mt. Evans via the Squaw Peak Rd. route. I still can't get over that I can get to the highest paved road in North America (or Europe for that matter) and be home in time for lunch.

Gotta admit, it's kinda fun to hoon on that road. Scares the poo poo out of people.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hell, jumping off at Idaho Springs and going to Echo Lake/Squaw Peak Rd can even be faster, especially if your destination is south of the city.

I rode from Ned to Estes Park and back to Boulder on a short ride yesterday. That one gravel section of the 36 is seriously horrible - just mounds of loose gravel in certain sections, loving scary on a road bike. They don't sign that on the east/southbound side :(

On the plus side, the new asphalt is good looking tarmac and not chip-seal nonsense.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Akion posted:

I did that section on my Harley shortly before I sold it. Scary poo poo.

Also, W/R/T the 12% grade on the OMG road, I did a stretch of road down near Sedalia two weeks ago that was 15% and packed dirt, didn't feel too bad.

What bike were you on? That must have been Highway 67 outside of Sedalia, right? I bailed on that one - once the grade started increasing, the ABS wouldn't let me brake nearly at all, and I wimped out.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

hot sauce posted:

Random question for you CO folks... what is the average riding season there? Do you guys park the bikes in mid fall or just wear winter gear and tough out the colder temperatures? Does anyone ride through the winter with heated gear or do the temps go down too low?

The big problem (in my opinion) is being caught in snow or icy conditions. I'll go out at nearly any temperature, but I won't go out if there's any risk of ice on the roads (and unfortunately that happens pretty soon in the mountains).

So basically, I'll ride around Denver for weeks after I hang up the saddle for riding in the mountains, as we tend to get nice, snow-free days down here well into November.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
All said, the Front Range has a nice, long riding season, even if you're a bit of a pansy (like me). There's probably only 3.5 solid unrideable months out of the year, if you only count snowy/icy days (since there's plenty of beautiful days interspersed), and that's if you're running a street-only bike and not some kind of crazy person on a sumo.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's getting too dark to take my ~7a rides. The dappled sunlight doesn't subside until nearly noon now, if you're in a canyon. :(

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Discomancer posted:

I hit Tarryall road this weekend, they are paving over some of the southern end, but it was totally worth it. Really scenic, and a decent alternative to that awful stretch of 285 through Fairplay if you have the extra hour or so to take the long way. Plus, it would make a good loop early season when combined with the Deckers run.

Did exactly this ride last weekend. That chipseal with *FRESH OIL* kinda sucks though, and man there's at least 10 miles of it. But then Deckers makes it all worth it.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I was wondering this exact same thing. Akion - think it's safe to ride up/in the foothills?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Awesome! I think you've given me the reassurance I needed to ride tomorrow. Where's Bristol, by the way? Only city in found on the map was way out in SE CO.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Did a quick ride from Denver to 6 West, to Central City, then to Nederland via PtP. Completely snow and ice free the entire way. Insane, and insanely fun!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Awwww yeah. Another winter weekend riding in the mountains is coming up! High of 50 in Ned today.

edit: Nice and clear all the way from Denver to Ned along PtP.

edit2: Riding on Saturday has reconvinced me that this is the best state in the nation.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 7, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Heads up Colorado goons! This will be the last weekend to ride in the mountains for awhile. Get up there and tear it up.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Dammit, I want to so bad. But Saturday is Valentine's Day and I'm going to go adopt a kitten.

Maybe I can sneak out Sunday for a little Rist Canyon action.

Looks like it may be snowing Sunday :( C'mon, sneak a quick ride and get home before noon!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm near Federal and Alameda, so probably not close enough for you, but I do have plenty of no-restriction street parking and a garage.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I don't think it opens until around Labor Day, if I remember correctly.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

Anyone got an idea of a decent ride for this Saturday? Weather looks nice!

Gonna do Golden Gate Canyon, at least. I wonder if Pine/Deckers is totally clear.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Did this morning's storm not accumulate? It was lovely driving in Castle Rock.

Accumulate? It barely rained in Denver. Where are the roads snowy, now?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

From about Monument to E470 it was slushy and accumulating on the shoulders. It looked like there was a lot coming from the west. Radar showed a big chunk of nasty coming across south Denver. It was mostly just rain in Brighton, Commerce City, Parker, etc. that was around noon yesterday though.

Wow, that's crazy... no, I don't believe there was any accumulation at all in Denver.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The past few days have been such good riding, as long as you're OK with shitloads of wind!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I have three days off in a row and it loving snows. Seriously on the edge of self harm over here.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

Anyone have a Denver area shop they trust? This will be the first time having someone else work on my bikes. I need to get some spare time. Its a suzuki b-king if that matters.

I've heard good things about Rolling Wrench - has anyone here tried them?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you've got a DRZ, riding season never ends. Unless your bike gets stolen.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Who's going riding this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Akion posted:

EDIT - Well gently caress. I just got a letter from the DA. Asswipe got a plea deal and is only going down for the Identity Theft charge. :(

There's a chance he got a sweet plea deal because his info led to a bigger fish. Bright side, bright side!

• Locked thread