Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Let's see if this works.

There's a few of us in Colorado here, seems mostly around the Denver/Front Range area. Maybe we could use our own little pocket of space to discuss road conditions, possible meetups, and bitch about 6 months of icy roads up in the mountains. If this takes off, I'll try to update the OP with useful stuff like links, routes, and pictures of white people wearing Chacos and taking their dog with them to the brewery in their Subaru.

If desired, I could also keep a running list of goons with their approximate location in the OP.

HenryJLittlefinger - Fort Collins area; Yamaha XJ600N
Akion - Denver, Highlands/Sunnyside area;
Radbot - southwest Denver; Honda CTX700N
Discomancer - Boulder; Suzuki VStrom 650
PlasticSun - Denver, Baker/West Wash Park area; 03 F650 GS Dakar, 08 ST1300
bj2001holt - Fort Collins/Steamboat Springs; CRF450X and various other dirt-oriented machines
TEASE MY NECKBEARD - Denver; Suzuki B-King
ChlamydiaJones - Aurora; Triumph Tiger, BMW R100GS, 1980 BMW R100, MuZ Skorpion
Riven - Highlands; BMW F800S
axia - Golden; DR-Z
Mexican Radio - ?, DR-Z
Space Whale - Broomfield; Ninja 300

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Because in a place populated almost entirely by transplants from the midwest, the only way for nonnatives to assert superiority is to let you know they've been there longer than you.

I love living here, but gently caress do people have some screwy ideas about what living in Colorado does for their personal identity. And a lot of the natives just love to hate us transplants.

Also,

Radbot posted:

eat green chili, and spend as much time in the mountains as possible.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 1, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Kony Kid posted:

Looking to buy a diesel pickup just so I can roll coal through downtown boulder.

You're the other kind of Coloradan I hate.

Akion posted:

I have a show at RR on Saturday Night

gently caress you I wanted to go to that show so bad.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 2, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Kony Kid posted:

alright great! In other news I have this ongoing stereotype that Coloradans are not capable of sarcasm.

I got it, I was just adding another layer.

There's a lot of 17-year-olds that come down from Cheyenne and Laramie that do that on the weekends through old town. Cummins turbo diesel light to light matches.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gently caress I70 between Empire and Hwy 6. gently caress it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I would love to, just got some poo poo sorted out in my carbs and electricals.

However,

Tour de Fat is happening in Fort Collins and I will be drinking heavily in a costume.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The aspens are turning. Peak colors up at Muddy and Rabbit Ears passes. I headed up Poudre Canyon yesterday, but didn't make it all the way to Cameron Pass.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Me and a buddy rode up Poudre Canyon, over Cameron Pass to Walden, north to Laramie, and back to Fort Collins on Sunday. Beautiful foilage, gettin' cold up there.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Anyone going to this?

http://www.coloradomotorcycleexpo.com/

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Akion posted:

Sorry, I've been in the process of buying a house.
:hfive: new house bros. I just closed and moved in this weekend. My only riding lately was getting my bike from the old house to the new one.

quote:

Also, LOL at asking a Supermoto rider what is safe.
Yeah but you used to be a Harley rider.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dammit, I want to so bad. But Saturday is Valentine's Day and I'm going to go adopt a kitten.

Maybe I can sneak out Sunday for a little Rist Canyon action.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's a beautiful day and I'm too hung over to ride right now.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Did this morning's storm not accumulate? It was lovely driving in Castle Rock.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

From about Monument to E470 it was slushy and accumulating on the shoulders. It looked like there was a lot coming from the west. Radar showed a big chunk of nasty coming across south Denver. It was mostly just rain in Brighton, Commerce City, Parker, etc. that was around noon yesterday though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, I drove home from Meeker last night and the passes were lovely.

But I guess we need the snowpack.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I rode to Taos and back last weekend. Here's some pictures.

Alligator farm down in the San Luis Valley.

North end of the San Luis Valley.

Collegiate Peaks

Cold, wet, lots of freezing rain and hail all through the high country. South Park was especially cold.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Kony Kid posted:

Lots of rain lately. other than that I was quite pleased with the winter/spring weather so far in my first couple months of living here.

Don't knock it, we need that rain.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh man that is hosed. I know how you feel, you have my full sympathy. I'll keep an eye out up here.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So anybody riding?

Here's some pictures from a couple weeks ago. A buddy and I rode from Fort Collins up to Cherokee Park SWA mostly on dirt roads on our Secas.

Stove Prairie Road

Poudre Canyon

South of Red Feather

Prairie Divide

Near Cherokee Park

Where the gently caress are we...

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 14, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm riding a snowboard this weekend...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Akion posted:

On the upside, the fucker that stole it got sentenced to a few years so there's that.

Oh hell yes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It was an awesome weekend. Anyone ride?

I did Rist, Buckhorn, Big Thompson, and St. Vrain canyons. They weren't too overrun with lookyloos refusing to use the slow vehicle pullouts, but still a handful.

Stove Prairie

Buckhorn Canyon

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was gonna ride up Boulder Canyon to Nederland and then along the Peak to Peak to Estes, then down Lefthand Canyon to Lyons and back home yesterday. It was so loving hot that I was feeling dizzy by the time I got to Boulder. I turned around, headed back up Little Thompson Canyon, and ran into standstill traffic about halfway up and turned back around. I had to stop and soak my clothes and let the bike cool off. Thermometer said 120 in the sun, and never got below 100 while I was moving. In Lyons, I watched a guy on a cruiser almost get smoked by a truck turning left across our lanes. Cruiser rider decided to pass me on the right through a little gap while I was waiting for the truck in front of me to turn left because I saw exactly what would have happened, and it did. Classic back wheel lockup, smoke and screeching. Would have layerdanned if he had been going any faster. gently caress weekend traffic in Lyons.

It was a miserable loving day to ride.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There's a host of them north and west of Denver.

Hwy 285 west out of Morrison is great when there's no traffic. It's the best way to get to South Park and the west slope in general from Denver area. Connect to Buena Vista, Salida, Leadville, Alamosa, Breckenridge, Vail, Aspen, etc however you want. There are no bad roads once you're west of say Conifer. 285 and 17 through the San Luis are perfectly straight for a long time, but it's a beautiful ride. South of you, there's 67 between Castle Rock and Woodland Park, and 105 between Castle Rock and Monument. Easy after work rides while there's daylight.

72, "the one to Coal Creek" will take you to Nederland. From there, the Peak to Peak highway (still Hwy 72) will take you north to Hwy 7. The entirety of 7 between Lyons and Estes Park is fun. 36 between Lyons and Estes Park is fun. All of these are favorites for Denver area riders and drivers, though, so expect traffic to be generally heavy on weekends and steadily getting worse from now until the snow hits.

Hwy 14 up Poudre Canyon from Fort Collins to Walden is good if you don't get too much traffic.

From Walden, in the center of North Park, you can continue Hwy 14 to 40 at Muddy Pass. 40 is pretty phenomenal between I 70 and Salt Lake City. Not a stretch on that road I don't like, except through a few of the towns it passes through (Steamboat and Winter Park are kind of irritating). It can get a little monotonous out west in Moffat County, especially between Maybell and Jensen, UT, but it's still nice.

The Butler Map for Colorado is a good resource.

Re: The Secas, they're a great bike. They would make a very reasonable upgrade from a Ninja 300. However, they're 90s technology, so carburetors, no ABS, zero modern electronics, and a little heavy. But they're more powerful if maintained well and very capable of both daily riding and long hauls. I stopped upgrading when I got mine. If you're interested, I can tell you a lot more about them. My riding buddy is probably the best resource on them in this country and lives in Denver.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 31, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Then slow down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

NTM the huge amount of grit that collects in the apexes and especially just outside the lines. And busted retread, and shoes, and tie-downs, and coolers, and buckets...

• Locked thread