Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Highlands/Sunnyside here. Currently rocking a DRZ400SM, and down to ride whatever on the weekends. I enjoy hopping curbs, riding twisties, and long moonlit wheelies down the Cherry Creek Bike Trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Radbot. Are you doing the OMG road tomorrow, or is that Sunday? I have a show at RR on Saturday Night, but could maybe swing the road in the AM? I figure if we're both gonna try and tackle it, we may as well do so with two of us.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You're the other kind of Coloradan I hate.

gently caress you I wanted to go to that show so bad.

I just sold my last extra ticket like... half an hour ago. :( All my friends bailed on me.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

gently caress I70

FTFY

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

poo poo, didn't see this until now. Want to try some other time? What do your weekends normally look like?

Instead, I did Mt. Evans via the Squaw Peak Rd. route. I still can't get over that I can get to the highest paved road in North America (or Europe for that matter) and be home in time for lunch.

Gotta admit, it's kinda fun to hoon on that road. Scares the poo poo out of people.

Yep! I did that one last weekend (Evans via Squaw). It got cold up there. My hooning stopped about 13,500 feet when my jetting became an issue.

I'm supposed to do a ride with a local SuMo group Sat or Sun, but not sure which yet. I'd really like to get down to Salida/BV and do Cottonwood Pass this month, as well.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Considering riding out to CB on Saturday and camping. Not decided yet. If anyone has any other ideas or wants to ride, lemme know?

EDIT: To add, if I camp I'm going to be riding with a backpack on, so... slowly.

Akion fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 8, 2014

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Possibly. Depends on the weather.

Also, this picture almost got my rear end kicked by the guy that runs the Chili stand on Santa Fe. He was convinced I sprayed his trucks because I stopped to take a picture.

Also did some SuMo riding down around Sedalia yesterday. First time on dirt, and first time doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeAOda8fQ-g

Akion fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, gently caress 70. If you're going to get back into town, just jump off at Evergreen and take Bear Creek Canyon back in. It takes as long as 70 with bad traffic, but it's prettier and twisties.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Hell, jumping off at Idaho Springs and going to Echo Lake/Squaw Peak Rd can even be faster, especially if your destination is south of the city.

I rode from Ned to Estes Park and back to Boulder on a short ride yesterday. That one gravel section of the 36 is seriously horrible - just mounds of loose gravel in certain sections, loving scary on a road bike. They don't sign that on the east/southbound side :(

On the plus side, the new asphalt is good looking tarmac and not chip-seal nonsense.

I did that section on my Harley shortly before I sold it. Scary poo poo.

Also, W/R/T the 12% grade on the OMG road, I did a stretch of road down near Sedalia two weeks ago that was 15% and packed dirt, didn't feel too bad.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So, anyone wanna ride on Saturday?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ahhh yes, I forgot about the TDF. I normally just do the Denver one.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

What bike were you on? That must have been Highway 67 outside of Sedalia, right? I bailed on that one - once the grade started increasing, the ABS wouldn't let me brake nearly at all, and I wimped out.

Yes! I was on my DRZ. Wellington was fun on a bun, too. River crossings are... interesting.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'll ride front range year-round as long as it's not snowy/icy (and I may ride a few snow days this winter since my commute is like... 2.5 miles).

But yeah, the mountains kind of become a no-go somewhere in October-Dec depending on how far up it is.

The Supermoto group I ride with still does rides all year, we just switch from the twisties to the industrial parks in the winter.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Alright. Who wants to ride this weekend? I need to put my new carb and clutch on the bike one day, but I am pretty flexible on which day that is. Both days look like they'll be decent, and I am down for riding whatever as long as it's not a ton of Superslab.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

I was wondering this exact same thing. Akion - think it's safe to ride up/in the foothills?

Sorry, I've been in the process of buying a house. It's probably fine as long as you stay out of the canyons right now. They have too many shady patches that you can run up on quickly to be worth risking it.

Also, LOL at asking a Supermoto rider what is safe.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

I'm going for it! (Assuming my bike's battery isn't dead)

update - Went through Bristol and on a ways. Roads were wet in places, but no ice. Bike is now filthy, but I am happy to have had a chance to ride. Also the hp loss at altitudue is hilarious. Definitely scenery that doesn't exist in Dallas (my prior home).

Are you rejetted for altitude yet? My DRZ was fine almost all the way up Evans last year and it was jetted for 5280.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

:hfive: new house bros. I just closed and moved in this weekend. My only riding lately was getting my bike from the old house to the new one.

Yeah but you used to be a Harley rider.

I backed out of the one I was on. Too much wrong with it, so I'm still a renter.

gently caress the real estate market here. Another reason for me to hate Californians.

Been riding the last few days. So nice (not that I haven't been riding all winter, but it's nice not freezing while I do it).

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've been buzzing around town like a madman. However, I seem to have contracted the flu so no mountain riding for me.

loving ride home yesterday sucked. Violent shivers don't do well for riding a motorcycle.

On the off chance, any of you guys live in the North/West Wash park/Alamo Placito area and have garage space? I'm under contract on a condo there and I'd happily pay for garage space for my bike.

It's basically at Speer and Clarkson.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

I have three days off in a row and it loving snows. Seriously on the edge of self harm over here.

That's why I got a Supermoto.

Snow in the mountains? Wheelies in the office parks!

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Heads up, my poo poo got stolen last night near Wash Park.

Black 2008 DRZ400SM. Mostly de-stickered other than a little on the tank, suzuki stickers on the swingarms/forks, and two small turtle-shaped stickers on the rear plastics. Full yosh exhaust and an FCR-39MX. 8k miles on it.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not holding out a ton of hope that I'll ever see it again. Honestly this may be it for me for a while. I don't have off-street parking and the cost to rent space in a garage is as much as my insurance costs annually. May just take the money and buy a new Kayak or something.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

Was it insured? Just buy another one and insure it well.

I make it a point to not get sentimentally attached to bikes for this reason. It could get stolen or wrecked so easily. Just pick up another one and wheelie off into the sunset.

Yeah, I had full coverage. Just sending all my paperwork off to insurance today.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

If you've got a DRZ, riding season never ends. Unless your bike gets stolen.

Truth.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mexican Radio posted:

I sold my R6 last month and bought a DRZ yesterday and promptly got a front flat on the way home from the DMV. My dual sporting career is off to a p good start.

I was averaging 1 flat a month on my DRZ-SM. It just means you are doing it right.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I rode my Mountain Bike all weekend while missing my SuMo. On the upside, the fucker that stole it got sentenced to a few years so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Turns out he was an idiot, riding like a douche out in Lakewood. The bike led the cops to his U-Haul full of stolen ID's and Credit Cards.

Bam, 3 felonies. Aggravated Motor Vehicle Theft 2, Possession of Stolen Financial Instruments, Possession of Stolen ID. The LPD Detective was like "I know you don't want to hear it, but your bike getting stolen helped a lot of people". I was just like "Well, insurance paid me 2.5k more than I had in the bike so eh. Can I come down to the station and punch the guy a few times?"

EDIT - Well gently caress. I just got a letter from the DA. Asswipe got a plea deal and is only going down for the Identity Theft charge. :(

Akion fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 18, 2016

• Locked thread