Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Commoners posted:

Why would we take care of the thread when we have civilian contractors to do it for us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Schlabbalabba posted:

In case you were curious: navy still sucks and I hate my life.
I'm on leave and have a sweet beard so I don't know what this means.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

bengy81 posted:

Dear active duty faggots,

continue bitching about the prt so I can feel good about being a bloated fatass.

Edit: gently caress

FTFY

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

Or you could just lie to him, tell him you'll take anything, go down there, then take nothing when what you want isn't there and tell him to go gently caress himself on your way out.

Yea this is good advice, you don't owe the recruiter poo poo, don't act like you do.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Laranzu posted:

It is just a weird loving recruiter game when the Navy is shoving like trillions of barely qualified CTNs through school.

Judging by the quality we get out of ET/FC A school I'm pretty sure the entire school system is just a faucet. One of the guys I work with was saying you used to need a decently high reading comprehension score to go into AECF and they got rid of that a handful of years back. I'm not sure if there's any truth to that but some of these people are terrible at reading tech pubs so maybe?

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 12, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

vulturesrow posted:

Did you ever go talk to the officer detailer like pretty much everyone here said you should do?

Seconding this. I'm assuming you didn't just because a lot of people come in here and ignore a lot of what we say for whatever reason.

Didn't someone join as a nuke despite Ket and everyone else saying they shouldn't, then came back and said "Oh poo poo you were all right."?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

bengy81 posted:

That's cuz every job is pretty lovely, mostly due to the fact you are in the Navy and dealing with inept leadership. All jobs are pretty poo poo, just some are more poo poo than others, and some offer more opportunities when you get out.

I don't know, I've always enjoyed the actual NEC part of my job, whether that be display, acnt, or teaching. Really it's all of the extraneous garbage that makes it such poo poo.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Quote is not edit. I blame the awful app.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I found out that my last ship would have given me at least one and possibly two more NAMs while I was there if I had written them up.

A good piece of advice for anyone in a position to write awards (so I guess at the minimum the WCS level) is to constantly write them. In my workcenter I left with three NAMs, my replacement left with three NAMs, and two others had two. I'd like to think me constantly routing NAMS up every month had something to do with that.

bengy81 posted:

Yeah, but how much time on the ship did you actually spend doing your job vs cleaning or doing something "cuz :chiefsay:"

fake edit: I guess I enjoyed being a tech when I was allowed to do something not involving the skids and when the old man wasn't popping in to our shops randomly to make sure the radar was still turning.

You remember how awesome some of our techs were right? I did a lot of technician stuff, probably more than I should have been doing towards the end. I didn't even mind the poo poo I was doing as CSMM A (paper bitch) like rewriting the aloft instruction because it was a tangible thing that had an actual point, as opposed to repainting the same P-Way three times in one deployment for reasons. I'm pretty sure yo ufelt the same way when you weren't writing loving spreadsheets constantly. Which I guess was pretty much never unfortunately.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

CTN is an open rating.

This chart tells us that the Navy needs the gently caress out of more CTNs

What a cruel joke this is.

If I wasn't lazy i'd look at the CREO ratings for my rate but I'm pretty sure we're undermanned as ever.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Zotix posted:

gently caress these recruiters. I called them up now because i want to go to meps sept 1. They knew this before, and that's why i drove 80 miles Monday to talk to them. I brought everything with me on Monday because i can't just drive to see them every day. In Monday they didn't take my paperwork when i said i was only interested in CTN, they only took the questionnaire for the sf86. They didn't take my birth cert, ss card, drivers license or any of that. So when i just called them they said they would work on getting my stuff together to go to meps on the 1st, but they seemed very lackadaisical about it, and i know for a fact they are missing info they need. These guys are pissing me off, but i don't have any other options really.

At least your experience with the navy thus far is exactly what the rest of your career will be like!

Don't pick a rate at meps thinking you'll be able to repick at some other date.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

If you had a deck of cards that wouldn't be too terrible a watch.

Guarantee if the cdo saw him playing cards he'd be joining the restricted people he's watching.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

At no point while standing CDO watch did I check up on or care about restricted personnel. Duty section chief's business.

I suppose it depends what base you're on. If the cdo is an actual officer then totally, cdo's never going to see anyone, if the cdo is a chief, welcome to the crazy.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 18, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

nacirema posted:

Funny thing is he made the entire class do Chinese field day for 2 hours before he has to let us go home. I was standing up when he snapped.

I can't loving stand it when students sleep in class, and I'm a guy that has dropped all of his fucks and can't find them again. I mean staying awake during loving school is a basic adult thing to do.

loving corpsman.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

poopkitty posted:

It's your job. IDGAF if you're sleepy. Suck it up. Thank the Spaghetti Monster he'll never have to stand a 02-07 in CIC in the XNAG.

This is exactly what gets me pissed. A lot of the younger students I get don't realize it's their job and treat it like they're still living with their parents going to high school.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

Cons: I'll probably pick up first which means CPO365,

Depending on your command they might not give a gently caress if you don't go. Here at great lakes it's weighed into your eval so I guess I'm getting a p?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Christoff posted:

"If you don't volunteer and go to college on sea duty you're getting a P. University of Phoenix has month long courses" :chiefsay:

loving :lol:

Every person I've seen that tried to take real college courses had to drop the classes. Something about being gone for 5-21 days at a time without Internet

Yea senior enlisted leadership is loving full of dumbasses going to terrible schools. Here's the thing though: to make senior you need a degree, and I don't think the navy actually gives a gently caress where it's from, so if you're going to do 20, might as well go to Excelsior where they'll give you a billion credits for loving A school. . Nevermind I had bad information.

I tell all of my students to not be dumb with their GI Bill/TA/etc and to not go to a garbage school, so maybe I'm doing a good thing.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 31, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

poopkitty posted:

Um, no you don't. Maybe in the CG, but not in the Navy. I know quite a few without degrees. MCs too. Those guys are just really good at their jobs and care about their people, and didn't spend all of their time loving off and paying attention to collaterals and working on a poo poo "Business Management" degree. Unfortunately those folks are leaving because the Navy is turning into an entitled loser promotion factory. Thank you CSADD and Phoenix.

Oh fantastic, another thing my chief was wrong about!

Maybe he meant you need one to be competitive? Seemed like he meant that you needed one though.

People going to lovely schools now makes even less sense.

:chiefsay: That officer's dumb, I have a degree too (from Ashford) so just listen to me!

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

There was a period of time a few years back when an Associate's or higher was required to promote to senior chief but they walked that back.

Ah, okay. I suppose dated information is better than flat out wrong.

• Locked thread