Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Wokrider posted:

Anyone know a HM SF?
I've got my HM contract and I head to boot in september, I'm trying to get more information on how getting into SF pipeline at HM A School works.

There are a few special warfare options for HMs. SF is Army, so you're looking at the wrong branch. Options for HM: Marine Force Recon - qualify for fleet marine force via Field Medical Service School or Field Medical Training Battalion (whatever they're calling it now) and then basically you do the entire Basic Recon course with the Marines and then go to a Recon unit. MARSOC - usually you have to qualify as recon first, but occasionally if you're just a pimp and know the right people you can get these billets as just an experienced FMF guy. Dive Medical Technician - work with ND, EOD and occasionally SEAL teams (in a non-operator capacity). If you want to be an operator in the Navy, you should sign up as a SEAL and then go to BUD/S. Generally speaking they will recruit for Dive Med/ Recon at Corps School, in the same way they recruit for ND/EOD/SEAL in the civilian world. A 'dive motivator' will come one week and administer a fitness test. If you score highly enough (generally speaking they're looking for 80+ situps/pushups, 12+ pullups, 9ish minute run, 10ish minute swim), then they'll put you in a special class where you do extra PT sessions with guys who have qualified previously and worked in those billets. They used to have you work out with the ND/EOD/SEAL candidates across the street when it was in Chicago, but now that HM A is in Texas, that's probably not a thing anymore. Long story short, there is no HM to SF crossover, there's just a few sub-jobs of HM some SF-ish capacities. If you want to be an operator, you need SEAL in your contract.

EDIT: I had orders to dive school, spent two months TAD with ND/SEAL/EOD units, and then got into the University of Pennsylvania and peaced out of the Navy instead. I know a good number of guys who went to BUD/S and BRC, so if you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer, but I haven't made it any farther than some guy in admin saying "sure, what the hell, print this guy some orders."

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Wokrider posted:

My main goal is Marine Force Recon when I hit A school, I tried to get FMTB on my contract but apparently they don't do that anymore?

When I was there, everybody who asked for FMTB received orders there. This may have changed due to the end of Iraq and the drawdown of Afghanistan, but especially if you identify yourself as a BRC candidate to your instructor and pass the PST, unless there's some sort of sudden urgent need for blue side schmucks to man hospitals or ships, it seems very unlikely that you would get turned down for a chance to try. The bar to get orders to special warfare schools is really low as long as you have good color vision and no medical problems. Getting through the schools is another story.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

Someone tell me how sweet it is to get out and go to school on post 9/11 gi bill and yellow ribbon. Plus bitches and all that jazz. Just need some words of encouragement to keep pushing to my minimum service obligation.

I got out and got into Penn on the strength of some really great letters of recommendation I got from the officers I worked for. My life consists of science classes taught by legit geniuses, full of brilliant and beautiful women and laughing my rear end off at all the people who are sinking deeper into debt while I figuratively roll around like scrooge mcduck in federally supplied gold coins. My beard is coming in nicely, and I don't ever have to pee in a cup while some douchebag E6 looks at my dick. This is the most hilariously awesome my life has ever been by an enormous margin. Finish your time, get that honorable discharge and never look back. You can do it, the days may drag but the months will fly.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Come to think of it does anyone not opt for the post 9/11

The only reason I've heard is that some vocational/technical training that requires OJT (for example, pilot license flight hours) aren't covered as well. There are a few really specific reasons, but they're few, far between, and getting slowly rectified.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

I wish more people knew how to play Euchre as Spades just takes too drat long.

Isn't that the entire point?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, the two big options for my next tour are Norfolk and Fallon. It's a tough choice.

There's a single spot at Lemoore too which is way, way, waaaaaaay at the bottom of the wish list. At least with Fallon you can drive an hour and be in Reno, an hour and a half and be in Tahoe. Drive an hour and a half from Lemoore and you're still in the middle of cow poo poo valley.

Fallon doesn't seem that bad, but I really don't mind remoteness. Given the list of commands I'd say it has potential for a chill tour far beyond anything in Virginia. I'd much rather be in Nevada, personally.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

Hypothetically, is it legal for an active duty member of the military to build/make something and then try to sell it to the service, or is that against some sort of contracting rule?

I've heard that a SEAL medic figured out a better way to deal with sucking chest wounds (called an Asherman Chest Seal, ), and the Navy claimed that because the invention was directly related to his duties the developed IP rights belonged to the DoD. I don't know about making something, but I would talk to a lawyer about any intellectual property rights before you try to patent ideas you have that the military might want to not pay you for.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
[quote="LingcodKilla" post="""]
Holy poo poo is their like an online resource how to become a dependapotomus? He recorded her threating him with falsely beating her when he refused to get married to her.
[/quote]

Hahaha welcome to the Navy, son. You ain't seen nothin yet.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I was applying for a second job and while looking over my dd214 I was thinking I don't remember getting qualified in one of the items listed. I don't remember if sitting that position long enough qualifies you or if you had to be sent to the school.

My evals all have numbers of patient encounters on them. I don't know whether they're accurate, but they're big numbers so I use them on my resume. If anybody asks, I tell them they are recorded in my official military personnel file, and nobody has ever questioned it. Like the ships log, once it's written in there, that's officially what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

There was a period of time a few years back when an Associate's or higher was required to promote to senior chief but they walked that back.

That's kind of sad that needed to be walked back. How much of an imposition is it really to require that people promoted to be in charge of dozens if not hundreds of people be required to actually do the things they tell other people to do. I don't think requiring a basic level of literacy or education isn't a bad thing either, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly why it didn't stick and what Navy community would be specifically upset about it.

• Locked thread