Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

But all the CTNs are getting out with fat stack contractor jobs so advancement is insane-o high. 2nd class is basically 100%, first class is close enough that if you aren't a piece of poo poo you will make it, and chief is in the realm of "tryhard". IT and LN are nice desk job rates but that advancement just isn't there.
And from what I can tell CTNs actually do interesting stuff whereas ITs tell m people to call NMCI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

My brain is having trouble processing a picture of a chick under 250lbs who is either in the Navy or married to a sailor.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

poopkitty posted:

I am neither. And both. Also, I married my C School sweetheart. (My A School sweetheart went to BUDs and forgot my number; probably just as well - he was boring as poo poo. But hot. He retired last year as a SOCM.)

You're a 1 percenter.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

poopkitty posted:

Meh. :shrug: I think it's possible for everyone that doesn't make stupid life decisions based on proximity and prioritizes correctly. But if everyone in the Navy had a clue how to prioritize, we would not be all-"volunteer."

I agree. What makes it even worse for you 1 percenters is that all women in the Navy get tarred with the same brush and that is unfair. My comment was obviously (I hope) made tongue in cheek but I'm sure you know that attitude is alive and well.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Pandasmores posted:

Do nobles have some image of what an enlisted barracks looks like? Apparently some seamen left their semen filled condoms and beer cans around with a noble complaining. I'm over here laughing cause of a sea bag inspection for "deployability", the confused faces of the retired civilians (and my friends as well) that were wondering why corpsmen are doing a sea bag inspection when even the constantly deploying dudes never did one.

Define "left around"? In the trash can is one thing. Left literally lying around is kind of gross to say the least. That said, as has been discussed here before, that's generally something we leave to the goat locker to manage. The only way I would get involved is if it is completely out of hand or some complaint has filtered up to the CO who then makes me handle it.

As for the seabag inspection, I agree it's kind of a hassle but at the same time you are expected to have those items. It's not really that hard to maintain. And Wooter is right, you have to be able to point to that kind of stuff when you want to deal with a shitbag sailor.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you need a hooker in Israel you're a pretty sad sack. That's like getting a hooker in Australia. Obviously people do it but it's lazy as poo poo.

The gulf states it's all about getting some random Russian sent to your hotel room which misses out on the joys of the cathouse experience IMO

Are the Jewesses easy?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

If there are two countries in the world where the people in general and the girls in particular are known for being American friendly, and for more than just obvious green-card antics, it's Israel and Australia. (Someone tell an Australian tennis ball sea story.). Plus it is a modern liberated society at a point we're honestly regressing away from, and the cities have a tremendous party culture when they're not forced to take shelter.

I wouldn't call them easy, if you're a docking up Frenchman or something you'll probably get a cooler reception

I honestly have to say that I haven't seen very many pictures of unattractive Israeli women.

When I was on a midshipmen cruise I had a very salty 1st class tell me that Australia was the one time in his career he seriously considered going AWOL. Makes you think.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wtf is wrong with you people, post a picture of the CHENG already.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

I just did broseph.

Oh I assumed that was the CO. I don't know a whole lot about surface goings on but it seems like 80% of hosed up ship stories I've heard involve the Cowpens.

e: just read some of the investigation :stare: :lol:

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 6, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Schlabbalabba posted:

Haaaaay guys. Just marooned on a beach at Camp LeJune for the night. Tell me an old fireside sea story...

I got really drunk one night in Jax the day before we pulled out for COMPTUEX and went swimming naked as a jaybird after last call. The next day 9/11 happened. Makes you think.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

This could be right. I have no idea where to even start looking for an official definition of a JO for the Navy.

It doesn't really matter though because the only distinctions that matter are: Flags>>>A select group of important O6's>>>>>>>>>>>everyone else

You're both sort of right. As was said, in the other services company grade is O1-03, field grade is O-4 to O-6. In the Navy O1-O4 is technically considered company grade, with O5-O6 considered field grade. Just look at who gets the fancy stuff on their combination covers. ;)

Fake edit: DoD website says the Navy actually terms O1-O3 junior grade and O-4-O-6 mid-grade. So all O1-O3 are actually JGs! And your distinctions I think mainly apply to the surface Navy although I will concede there is some truth to it. ;) I still think my fancy stuff on cover is the trump though. And that's also how someone once explained it to me. :spergin:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

historically I thought it might have something to do with a "stable" of midshipmen for chiefs to tenderly caress. I think I read too much napoleonic navy fiction.

Just saw a DEP kid have a total breakdown during PT over his high school ex.... I don't think he's gonna do so well during boot.

Maybe you should tenderly caress him.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

poopkitty posted:

You forgot the part where his Filipina 3rd wife beats the poo poo out of him in Navy housing, landing him on the blotter repeatedly and then he thanks her for saving him from himself at his SCPO pinning.

You write this as if you've witnessed it before... ;)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Christoff posted:

Yo Djibouti is Disneyland. It's hot as gently caress and sucks but it's as good as it can get. There's wifi everywhere and A/C. If you're actually stationed there you can get your own wifi with your roommates. Nice gym, pool, and loving amazing chow hall. It has every amenity you'd need honestly. Alcohol, too.

gently caress you can probably take online courses there and they probably do college courses too

I wouldn't be surprised if they even do TRS/TAPS there.

You'll be banking cash because there's not really any liberty there. Off base is usually restricted but if not you can go out in groups of 5 I think.

Seriously I can't overstate how it pretty much has everything

Medical there is probably the nicest clinic I've seen. They're really helpful and super nice. There's dental as well. It's just a clinic if there's something major I think they send you to the French hospital there or Kuwait. If you didn't already know it's a Navy/French base. There's a flight line that divides the bases. You won't ever go to the French side. We did some training with them so we went there and got poo poo faced at their bar with them. Tons of foreign Military and every branch is doing something there. It's a Navy base but they're probably the ones you'll see the least of. Lots of high speed folk too (SEAL, etc)

Oh you also get hazardous duty/combat/whatever pay. Eating steak/lobster while people starve to death right outside the gates

I can second all this having spent 6 months there. Lots of Army folk there as well. I can confirm that you can take classes there if you feel like spending time and money on a diploma mill degree. And yes they do offer TAP aka GPS there as well. I don't think you get all the HFP/IDP anymore but I might be wrong about that. Just check DFAS or whatever.

Christoff posted:

Just hit on the hot Italian and Air Force chicks at the crossfit workouts

The hottest chick on the camp when I was there was a Navy IT2. She was a legitimate 8-9. She'd walk in the gym and literally every dude would be staring. I have no idea why she was in the Navy because she probably could've been making the same money on her looks alone.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Zotix posted:

So the recruiter just said he won't take me down to MEPs if I'm holding out only for it/ctn/ctm. He said if i go down and i don't pick a job that i won't be taken back down. They only want people who are open to the jobs available when i go down. What the hell do i do goons?

Don't let the fucker strong arm you. Tell him whatever to shut him the hell up and when you get down there don't take anything but IT/CTN/CTM.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 12, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

Go down and shop for jobs. If they don't have what you don't want then don't enlist.

Gonna beat this horse a little more. You are literally nothing more than a number to the recruiter and 95% of what he tells you is either an outright lie or truth so twisted and tortured it is worse than a lie. On the plus side, he has absolutely no control over you either (and he knows it, hence all the BS psychological games). It doesn't matter how many BS pieces of paper he makes you sign, your parents sign, whatever. You don't owe the Navy poo poo until you get to basic. Make it very simple for the detailers when you get to MEPS. Say "I am interested in IT/CTM/CTN. If you don't have those available, then lets not waste both of our time by talking about other stuff. " You aren't down there to make friends, you are there to sign 8 years of your life away and so you better drat well at least do something you want to do.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

poopkitty posted:

If I had it to do all over again I'd be an AG or a CTI. *shrug*

PK I didn't know you were an anime lover!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Christoff posted:

"Go undesignated because then you can see all the jobs first hand and decide which one is right for you!"

Haha I remember towards the end of boot camp all the kids freaking out asking why they couldn't change their rate in boot camp like their recruiter told them. Or the ones that didn't know they signed up for needs of the Navy

Moderator scum Mr. Nice somehow survived enlisting as an undes. He's one of the few.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Zotix posted:

I wasn't saying that as if it's amazing or anything, but out here in this area I'm in, it's well above the average person. That statement probably narrows down where I'm from significantly, at least in conjunction with my last post.

Did you ever go talk to the officer detailer like pretty much everyone here said you should do?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Reacon posted:

Any opinions on the listed above would be greatly valued and considered, as it is the next few years I'll be living with this choice.

Go to Bahrain and make fat stacks, especially if you aren't married. Hell, I am married with kids and Bahrain is high on my list for next orders.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Reacon posted:

My one elephant in the house with Bahrain is the heat. I'm sweating profusely here in Chicago almost constantly, and burning every mandatory PT. Would I survive the heat and humidity?

You'll get used to it. Just be smart about it. Bahrain is actually a pretty cool place to hang out although I don't how much you'll be out on an MCM since I know fuckall about ships other than the ones I've landed on.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Helldump Immunity. posted:

ty for defreinding the 5 seas bros luv u all

You're welcome.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Reacon posted:

Got orders to the MCM in Bahrain. Thank you for helping me die of skin cancer :)

Congrats. May end up there myself. Don't waste all the extra money.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Midrats: great meal, or greatest meal? It's honestly the one thing about the boat that I miss. I'm making french toast and eggs for dinner to cope with withdrawal.

Greatest meal. My first deployment I had the classic cheeseburger with fried egg on it every single night at midrats. Except when in liberty ports of course.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

It's been a long time since I've had opportunity to say it, but gently caress Norfolk.

I just say it on general principle.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, the two big options for my next tour are Norfolk and Fallon. It's a tough choice.

There's a single spot at Lemoore too which is way, way, waaaaaaay at the bottom of the wish list. At least with Fallon you can drive an hour and be in Reno, an hour and a half and be in Tahoe. Drive an hour and a half from Lemoore and you're still in the middle of cow poo poo valley.

Do you mind saying what billets you are looking at in those places?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

TheQuietWilds posted:

Fallon doesn't seem that bad, but I really don't mind remoteness. Given the list of commands I'd say it has potential for a chill tour far beyond anything in Virginia. I'd much rather be in Nevada, personally.

Fallon's only redeeming feature is that it is somewhat close to Tahoe. Reno is poo poo but there is a lot of stuff there I guess. Fallon's O-club is pretty awesome when an Air Wing is in town as well. Beyond that, it's a wasteland. I guess if you like riding ATVs on giant piles of sand it's ok too.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Fallon would be the most likely place if I pick up WTI, though there are other random single slots all over the place. Norfolk would be FRS instructor, if I don't get picked for WTI.

NSAWC or E2 Weapons School in Fallon? FRS duty is usually pretty good but I don't know how you feel about Norfolk.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I once fell asleep standing up in a chem lab in college. I caught myself about an inch away from smashing face first into the counter. Another time I fell asleep at the beginning of a calculus class and woke up halfway through the next period (in an empty classroom). That's pretty much the tip of the iceberg of my sleeping escapades.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

The Army is loving crazy about PT. I somehow made it through Corry with only 2 weeks of PT. The military leadership stopped giving a gently caress and knew they wouldn't have to administer our next PT test.

Now for stupid second guessing myself time:

I recently found out my SRB multiplier is 7, not 5. I could re-enlist and it would only be two extra years and I'd get and extra 70,000. I know it's not just about the money, but my Navy life isn't that bad, and I could still use the GI bill when I get out.
I'm trying to come up with a list of cons and pros.
Pros: I don't have to keep track of my hours, I get a poo poo load of leave and holidays, tax free BAH, job security, tricare
Cons: I'll probably pick up first which means CPO365, I'll have to stand watches possibly on weekends and holidays, GMTs, could end up in a lovely location, random Navy bullshit, tricare

I know you can make good money on the outside, but it's not necessarily a sure thing.

Don't forget that 70K is taxed which I'm sure you knew but it still seems like a pretty good chunk of money for only 2 additional years. It would be nice to just stash away in preparation for getting out.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Anyone heard of people using TAD money to go to computer skills courses and poo poo like that?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Schlabbalabba posted:

In Hampton Roads area, at Tidewater Community College, you can use T.A. for a Coast Guard licensing course. Like driver's ed for ships. It's a "credentialing" course and I would imagine there are several for computers. Why not just take college courses and earn your CCNA certification?

Because I'm not trying to get a CCNA? ;) And I have no desire to gently caress around with TA. I just want to go take an Excel course and I've heard rumors of people convincing their commands to send them TAD for stuff like that even though they aren't Navy schools/courses. Just wondering if anyone here has actually witnessed this.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Schlabbalabba posted:

How longs the class? I've seen people get no cost TAD for a couple weeks

gently caress that, I'm trying to get the Navy to pay for it. :D

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

tuluk posted:

if you're serious about getting out and you have some leave & $$$ banked up, consider paying for real courses from cisco, vmware, microsoft, oracle, etc.
it hurts your wallet but you make it back in tax rebates the next year, as long as you file the correct tax deduction forms for education expenses.

I'm not trying to do that all that. I just want to get better at using Excel. And I want the Navy to pay for me to go do it. That is all. :D

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

tuluk posted:

thats cool, excel knowledge is pretty useful.

i had you confused with one of the people desperately trying to escape from the Navy, which is why i dropped that advice.
anyway, the advice is valid for anyone going for any kind of certification, or even attending trade shows to "further your education".

I've been using it a lot and I like it because I'm a nerd. I've managed to teach myself quite a bit but I'm sure I would benefit from a good instructor. I retire in 3.5 years and am almost done with my MBA so I should be set for job seeking, this is just for my own knowledge and it would actually benefit my command since I am using it a lot these days as I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Has anyone ever heard anything about overturning a NAMI aviation disqualification? Reason was ADHD history 5-6 years ago and some other sleep-related bullshit that NAMI didn't like but BUMED didn't mind. I wouldn't be able to try again until 2016 anyway, which would bring it to 7-8 years ago.

Much like anything, there is always a waiver. But NAMI is super loving anal about the initial flight screening. Doesn't hurt to try again but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

• Locked thread