Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Probably left in the trashcan. If there's one thing the navy hates more than anything else it's leaving trash in a trashcan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Octopode posted:

In news not involving shenanigans, the Chief list is out:

http://projects.militarytimes.com/chief-advancements/index.php

Cool, I'm ready for the 1st class power vacuum this is going to cause in my rate. Also people on that list who deserve it is nice to see.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Counterpoint: spend your money while you're young and can enjoy it. Chances are you're just going to die in a car accident anyways.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Goat is the Navy mascot. Like marines are devildogs. Basically, to be a chief you have to love the navy so much that you think the mascot is cool.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Go down and shop for jobs. If they don't have what you don't want then don't enlist.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Zotix posted:

I also think it's stupid that they wouldn't try to place someone who scored a 96 on the asvab, has their bachelor's, into a job that they want.

You could be taking orders from someone who scored a 50 on the asvab when they got in, which is why it's important to get what you want now. Just lie to your recruiter, tell him you understand there is a drawdown now and that you have an open mind. And then loving stab him in the back when they try to sell you on ET or something you don't want.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
When I went to MEPS the first time they told me there were no jobs and I'd have to come back next month. Now I wonder if there were literally no jobs or if they just had already met their quota that month and were saving me for the next month.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

I've been getting pushed to put a packet in for CTN since I don't language anymore and my DLPT is going to be a PTS issue. Is CTN also a MD/HA/GA/TX affair? Or can CTNs (regularly) get orders outside the big four? Like Alaska or Germany. Likewise nobody has been clear on if I'd get buckled down from PO2 if I did take it.

I've only once heard of a CTN losing their rank, and that was becuase she left the military as a CTR, then enlisted again after being out. As far as locations go, those are the big four, but unless you pick up the NEC you'll have other options. Pensacola, Dam Neck, I've even seen San Diego as an option, and I think they're going to start having billets in Japan as well.

I work with someone who just picked up chief after 6 six years, but I think I'm still going to get the gently caress out when my time is up.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

I'm at Meade, I assume you're there abouts too?

Yep. I've been here for two and a half years. My next tour is going to be here is well. I really get to see the world.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

You at the big 4 or offsite? We should get some poo poo-rear end sodexo sushi

Big 4, but I always work nights (have weekends off at least). I'm always game for sushi though.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Midrats: great meal, or greatest meal? It's honestly the one thing about the boat that I miss. I'm making french toast and eggs for dinner to cope with withdrawal.

I just went to safeway to buy limes and nacho ingredients. I don't understand why anyone would want to eat boat food.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Because you're at loving sea????

Not if you are making eggs and french toast!

Also what is the sea?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If Laranzu comes here we can start the fort meade shore duty drinking club. Also I have to go to work tomorrow night so I'm just going to get as drunk as I possibly can tonight.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

I'm already fist deep into a bottle of wine and a handle of gin. You know any more goons at work? We should start some jabber nonsense up

Surprisingly no. Mots was actually up here for TAD earlier in the year, and there is definitely goons who work offsite, but I don't think they post here that much.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I didn't say it was great cuisine, but a sandwich made out of a sausage patty, omelette, bacon, and two french toasts was my favorite part of the ship. And it's even more delicious after a few beers. And scotch. And more beer.

That's fair, I wasn't trying to give you poo poo, I was just wondering if you had Stockholm syndrome or something. I can't imagine food on a ship being much better than the food they served in pensacola, which is why it seemed like a strange thing to reminiscence about.

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 16, 2014

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I'm never on days. I work nights all the time so I don't have to deal with Navy bullshit during the day. I haven't had urinalysis in 2 years.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Working nights there's no traffic and you get the best parking spots. It does kind of gently caress with your diet though. I sometimes only get 1 meal a day, and it might be something lovely like McDonalds or Taco Bell if I'm feeling really lazy.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

I've only had one meal a day since february. Allah Rakha man, it's the best part of being back up here.

Holy poo poo, I've never been there. I'm going there.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Laranzu posted:

I'm standing restricted master at arms watch for 5 hours. I'm in a room, bored, with 3 bored dudes watching me watch them.

If you had a deck of cards that wouldn't be too terrible a watch.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Did they finally replace the pearl module in programming with python?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
That's good. No one uses pearl anymore. The regular expression stuff was pretty good, but the straight forward scripting of python makes a lot of things so much easier. Programming was fun -- poo poo, when I get out I might just spend my GI bill taking as many fun programming classes as I want.

EDIT: Doing some GI bill math here: If I take 9 credit hours a semester, and as long as one of those classes is in person, I can get a living allowance of $20,000 for a spring and fall term. SRB is something like 50,000 if I do it before my extension kicks in. If I get out and go to school full time and get a full time job I'll make $60,000 in 3 years. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to reenlist now.

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 17, 2014

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
From what I was reading you get partial BAH if you take classes online. But if you're not fulltime then you get no BAH. Partial is like $700 a month which is ok, but it looks like full is like $2000 a month -- and I think that's tax free.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Idk, I was using this: http://newgibill.org/calculator/

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Luckily you can also take breaks in semesters without being penalized, right? So if I can't get all the classes I need to go full time I can just not take classes that semester without burning through any GI bill time.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You can change majors/double major maybe. I heard of one guy doing this with TA, where he would change majors just a few credits shy of his education plan, and then rake in a whole new set of TA classes.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Can't really blame him. The navy has the uncanny ability to suck all the intrigue and discovery out of the learning process. I think it just has to do with the way they word things. Like, I have no idea what my eval bullet points actually say once a first class has gotten finished with them. Or stupid poo poo like stress hexagons or whatever the gently caress those slides were supposed to be in gmts. We spend so much time trying to show how smart we are, or put in so much work trying to cater to the lcd that we often forget to just get the loving point across.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Laranzu posted:

I'd rather have a sleepy dude who knows his poo poo than a guy who stays awake and gets a 75. Let the class sleepers sleep, who the gently caress cares. They will either pass or fail on their own accord.

Now for some schadenfreude:

The Army had a pants on head retarded schedule for their night shift CTN-esque MOS students. They got out of class at 2300, and had to be at PT by 0430.
Well, the platoon sergeant who made this schedule and defended it classed up as a night shift student. Failed out of the first module. His excuse "I was too tired all the time, and could never study".
Now the army is doing their PT from balls to 0100. I wish every dumb rule implemented had to be lived by the senior leadership for a week.

The Army is loving crazy about PT. I somehow made it through Corry with only 2 weeks of PT. The military leadership stopped giving a gently caress and knew they wouldn't have to administer our next PT test.

Now for stupid second guessing myself time:

I recently found out my SRB multiplier is 7, not 5. I could re-enlist and it would only be two extra years and I'd get and extra 70,000. I know it's not just about the money, but my Navy life isn't that bad, and I could still use the GI bill when I get out.
I'm trying to come up with a list of cons and pros.
Pros: I don't have to keep track of my hours, I get a poo poo load of leave and holidays, tax free BAH, job security, tricare
Cons: I'll probably pick up first which means CPO365, I'll have to stand watches possibly on weekends and holidays, GMTs, could end up in a lovely location, random Navy bullshit, tricare

I know you can make good money on the outside, but it's not necessarily a sure thing.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I'm in a field I like, and any civilian job I take will be similar. I'd like to do more programming, and get advanced training in it, which is what I want out of the GI bill. How does SRB work? I've heard you get half up front and the rest distributed.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
gently caress man, tax free BAH is so loving good. I guess despite everything said on this forum I enlisted with a degree, I might as well keep ignoring advice and consider re-enlisting as well.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Wait, I thought you got out.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yea, but I have to imagine quality of life for a nuke isn't that good to begin with.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You're going to Corry Station dude. The place is literally one giant parking lot with nothing to do. The females are often unpopular highschool girls who are getting a shitload of attention from teenage boys fresh out of bootcamp who haven't gotten to jerk off in peace for 2 months. It's a hormone hydrogen bomb and since co-habitation is forbidden all loving has to be done off base making tensions even higher. Basically just sit back and enjoy the poo poo show.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The worst commercial is the one where they do the sailors creed. Imho, the creed is kind of dumb. Not as dumb as the army's leadership thing, but still pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

orange juche posted:

Hey any CTNs in this thread or CTN instructors around? I have an ET3 in my shop who is looking at crossrating to CTN and wants to know what to expect.

I'm CTN real life. You can PM me too if you want.

• Locked thread