Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My friend just recently finished biking across country. It was May when she was in Montana and there was some snow and a lot of ice and snow she still had to deal with for a large chunk of the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Montana to ? I want to bike across country or at least those 100 mile rails to trails. But I am poor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Montana to ? I want to bike across country or at least those 100 mile rails to trails. But I am poor.

She started on the pacific coast in Washington and stopped in Boston.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!

Reacon posted:

Command DDG-89 MUSTIN
Duty Station JAPAN, HONSHU YOKOSUKA
NEC 1571 (UPX-29 IFF Interrogator)
Reason Shorter deployments, smallboy, interesting experience for travel and personal growth.

Yes hello. I was stationed on the Mustin for 3.5 years prior to coming to Great (Mistakes) where I currently reside. I may have seen you recently at the NEX playing COD like all the other "A" school students, and will tell you what I have told any student that expresses interest in living in Japan

If you are possibly interested in A. Starting a Family, B. Seeing family, C. Having a social life, or D. Planning on staying in the Navy, then by no means should you ever pick Japan as a first duty station.

Because I promise you, C7F will make you hate life on a daily basis. Anyone who says differently has not been stationed there during the last 4 years, when some wonderfully inept Marines and Seamen Recruits decided that Japan needed possibly the worst set of liberty restrictions since Great Lakes. Enjoy not being outside the base after 9 PM alone, enjoy not being anywhere alone. Enjoy being told that anyone caught OUTSIDE during the hours of 12 PM and 5 AM will suffer a swift CO's Mast, because let's face it; we're old enough to pee without supervision, but not old enough to take walks in foreign countries alone.

As for Mustin, be prepared to live on the ship at least 300 days a year; no, I am not exaggerating. Why has Mustin won so many Battle E awards you ask? Because we are easily the busiest Destroyer in C7F. You will always be picked first for any mission, any task, no matter how many other ships are operational, ready to go, and can do the job just as well. You will be told wonderful lies, such as "You are the best ship on the waterfront, tip of the spear, and lots of other silly little things, because Leadership cannot simply be honest with why we do pointless tasking, they have to make it a comedy sketch"

No seriously, leave C7F to die of old age, and head somewhere else.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

If I had decided to stay in I would have tried to get orders to a minesweep, even though my chief told me it was a bad idea.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Isn't Montana kind of a hidden gem? I really want to visit some day and I'm not even sure why. Family friend moved there and absolutely loves it and talks about it a lot when she visits. Heard the snowboarding/skiing is pretty good. Winters sound pretty rough, though.

Guess if you like hunting, mountains, lakes, outdoors poo poo, etc

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Bremerton itself is a lot nicer than it used to be and the ferry to Seattle is within walking distance of the base. If you're not in the barracks it's even better because Kitsap County has some of the best small-town living in the country. However:

- The west coast carriers do a big round-robin every few years between San Diego, Everett, Bremerton, Japan, and PSNS so they can all get their drydock maintenance done.

- I think it's pretty unlikely that any given person would be happy on both a carrier and a minesweeper. This is really a personality question to ask yourself.

- Are those really the best 3 choices?

Seriously though, people that talk about there being nothing to do in Bremerton either didn't have a car (there's nothing to do anywhere if you don't have a car) or just didn't try to go anywhere but the lovely dive bars right outside the base. All of these pictures were taken less than 90 minutes away:

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
C7F is a negative, then, which probably puts me on that MCM since I'd rather not be on a carrier since it's not necessarily great for advancement as a junior (I've heard). I love the Washington coastline and the cities on it, and plan on buying a car immediately, but that can wait a few years I suppose.

It all comes down to either putting myself out there or hiding in a corner in two extremes. Maybe I need to be figuring out what I want to do with my life rather than where I want to go.

On the other topic: I lived 5 miles from Glacier Park secluded in the woods with my single mother, plenty of dogs and cats, and horrible internet. But yeah, it was very rarely hot, very rarely extremely cold, too. I'd love a place that stayed 20-70 year long.

Once again, thanks for the replies. This is more than I ever could have hoped for.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reacon posted:

C7F is a negative, then, which probably puts me on that MCM since I'd rather not be on a carrier since it's not necessarily great for advancement as a junior (I've heard). I love the Washington coastline and the cities on it, and plan on buying a car immediately, but that can wait a few years I suppose.

It all comes down to either putting myself out there or hiding in a corner in two extremes. Maybe I need to be figuring out what I want to do with my life rather than where I want to go.

On the other topic: I lived 5 miles from Glacier Park secluded in the woods with my single mother, plenty of dogs and cats, and horrible internet. But yeah, it was very rarely hot, very rarely extremely cold, too. I'd love a place that stayed 20-70 year long.

Once again, thanks for the replies. This is more than I ever could have hoped for.

12 months until I am free of C7F :cry: 12 loving months soooo close

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

To follow up on my last question a few days back, how exactly do I read this http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/community/selres/Documents/SELRES%20Manning%20for%20WEB.pdf

I assume this is the most recent chart for current manning levels of the different rates. I'm interested in CTN as I posted earlier, so what row am I looking at for someone who is potentially looking to sign at MEPS. Is it CTN1, or the total row for it?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Zotix posted:

To follow up on my last question a few days back, how exactly do I read this http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/community/selres/Documents/SELRES%20Manning%20for%20WEB.pdf

I assume this is the most recent chart for current manning levels of the different rates. I'm interested in CTN as I posted earlier, so what row am I looking at for someone who is potentially looking to sign at MEPS. Is it CTN1, or the total row for it?

That looks like reserves. Are you going reserves?

You would be coming in as an SN

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

No, I'm looking for active duty.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!

orange juche posted:

12 months until I am free of C7F :cry: 12 loving months soooo close

Literally all of our GSE's on Mustin had 6 year contracts. I cannot comprehend spending 6 years on my life in C7F and still dreaming of persuading a "Rewarding and Satisfying" Naval career afterwards.

I'm still trying to figure out what it was that convinced me to reinlist for another 2 years... oh right, it was either spend 5 more months in C7F or 2 more years in San Diego. Here's hoping I made a smart move.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Reacon posted:

Seriously, if I had been single I'd have jumped on a Bahrain tour and banked hella cash. Do it while you're young and unattached as long as you're smart enough to actually bank it.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

orange juche posted:

Wasn't that Ryand-Smith?

Huh? It isn't that bad, but I have sort of the best deal as a junior nuke to be honest, but yards are their own ~special~ thing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TrialbyStone posted:

Literally all of our GSE's on Mustin had 6 year contracts. I cannot comprehend spending 6 years on my life in C7F and still dreaming of persuading a "Rewarding and Satisfying" Naval career afterwards.

I'm still trying to figure out what it was that convinced me to reinlist for another 2 years... oh right, it was either spend 5 more months in C7F or 2 more years in San Diego. Here's hoping I made a smart move.

San diego is the land of milk and honey compared to anywhere in Japan. You made the right choice tbh. the real right choice is to never reenlist

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 14, 2014

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Zotix posted:

CTN is an open rating. Meaning Sailors that are in their window to reenlist (13 months prior to the end of their contracts) will be granted approval to do so.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/careercounseling/Documents/CNAV%20BY%20SKILL%20SET%209%20July%20(ACRC).pdf

What, exactly, are you trying to understand about CTN? If you want to see specific rating info, look at the quad chart: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/community/crypto_it/Documents/CTN%20Community%20Summary%20Sheet.ppt

This chart tells us that the Navy needs the gently caress out of more CTNs due to increased manning requirements next year, they're undermanned in just about every year group, and their advancement is among the best for "Fleet" ratings (non-SPECOPS/SPECWAR).

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

CTN is an open rating.

This chart tells us that the Navy needs the gently caress out of more CTNs

What a cruel joke this is.

If I wasn't lazy i'd look at the CREO ratings for my rate but I'm pretty sure we're undermanned as ever.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
I've been getting pushed to put a packet in for CTN since I don't language anymore and my DLPT is going to be a PTS issue. Is CTN also a MD/HA/GA/TX affair? Or can CTNs (regularly) get orders outside the big four? Like Alaska or Germany. Likewise nobody has been clear on if I'd get buckled down from PO2 if I did take it.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Analogical posted:

I've been getting pushed to put a packet in for CTN since I don't language anymore and my DLPT is going to be a PTS issue. Is CTN also a MD/HA/GA/TX affair? Or can CTNs (regularly) get orders outside the big four? Like Alaska or Germany. Likewise nobody has been clear on if I'd get buckled down from PO2 if I did take it.

Your career counselor needs to pick up a phone and call the CTN ECM to get those details for you.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

orange juche posted:

San diego is the land of milk and honey compared to anywhere in Japan. You made the right choice tbh. the real right choice is to never reenlist

I came to Japan to GTFO of San Diego. Worth it.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

I've only once heard of a CTN losing their rank, and that was becuase she left the military as a CTR, then enlisted again after being out. As far as locations go, those are the big four, but unless you pick up the NEC you'll have other options. Pensacola, Dam Neck, I've even seen San Diego as an option, and I think they're going to start having billets in Japan as well.

I work with someone who just picked up chief after 6 six years, but I think I'm still going to get the gently caress out when my time is up.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

I've only once heard of a CTN losing their rank, and that was becuase she left the military as a CTR, then enlisted again after being out. As far as locations go, those are the big four, but unless you pick up the NEC you'll have other options. Pensacola, Dam Neck, I've even seen San Diego as an option, and I think they're going to start having billets in Japan as well.

I work with someone who just picked up chief after 6 six years, but I think I'm still going to get the gently caress out when my time is up.

I'm at Meade, I assume you're there abouts too?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I am 78 days from EAOS, dudes. With 61 days of leave by EAOS. Today, I looked up our command Leave instruction, and saw command policy lets me take up to 60 days of leave, but it has to be routed 30 days prior, so I dropped a leave request that starts 30 days from today lol.

And it looks like I'll have to do TAP during my terminal leave hahaha when they told me that at the Career Counselor's office I was like you are loving high, but they said no, really it is the law and I have to do it :smith:

So close I can taste it, man

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It's called TRS now. (Doing it this week) Just take 3 weeks and sell back that 1 week for when you'll be at TRS?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

TrialbyStone posted:

...and Seamen Recruits...

That's not what I heard, or have seen.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Christoff posted:

It's called TRS now. (Doing it this week) Just take 3 weeks and sell back that 1 week for when you'll be at TRS?

I don't know what TRS is, but they made me sign up for T-GPS here. I just still call it "TAP" because that's what everyone says conversationally. The command, collectively, has taken two full weeks to date to process my T-GPS request ... and I still haven't gotten it back. In the interim, the two sets of class dates I put on the chit filled up, naturally. The ones I'm hoping for right now will run the week where my terminal starts on a Friday, so it's such a good scenario that I refuse to believe it will actually happen. In any case, adjusting fire on that terminal leave request will come after this, since my LCPO already told me that my terminal leave request has to be routed on a navcompt 3065, and then I will have to follow that up by putting it in to E-leave after the captain approves it? Not sure why they felt the need to add a process on top of a process, but with the end so close in sight, I don't ask why anymore, I just jump through the god drat hoops.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
cerekk don't tell people about kitsap county

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

I'm at Meade, I assume you're there abouts too?

Yep. I've been here for two and a half years. My next tour is going to be here is well. I really get to see the world.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Sir Lucius posted:

Yep. I've been here for two and a half years. My next tour is going to be here is well. I really get to see the world.

Use your leave to take vacations if you want to travel. The Navy mostly only goes to dumps anyway.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
ty for defreinding the 5 seas bros luv u all

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

You at the big 4 or offsite? We should get some poo poo-rear end sodexo sushi

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Helldump Immunity. posted:

ty for defreinding the 5 seas bros luv u all

You're welcome.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Got orders to the MCM in Bahrain. Thank you for helping me die of skin cancer :)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Reacon posted:

Got orders to the MCM in Bahrain. Thank you for helping me die of skin cancer :)

Congrats. May end up there myself. Don't waste all the extra money.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Reacon posted:

Just tossing in my two cents. I love Washington to death, but Bremerton is a shithole and I couldn't imagine having to spend 2 years living on base until I made E-5. Given the orders, looks like you picked wisely. Good job.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Christoff posted:

They keep changing the name from month to month and service to service for some stupid reason. I deal a lot with separating service members and they all look confused when I call it TAP when it's "Transition GPS" at their base.

Still, sucks that they stuck that on you during terminal. Check with whatever office actually offers it (likely Fleet and Family Services or Marine Corp Community Services). At least at all the bases I've been to they have one class for retirees and one for separating service members. It may be your career counselor stuck you in a separatee course when the retiree course may be conducted sooner.

Additionally, ask about an online option. Some bases do that now...

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

You at the big 4 or offsite? We should get some poo poo-rear end sodexo sushi

Big 4, but I always work nights (have weekends off at least). I'm always game for sushi though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Curious. I'll be doing my A school in Pensacola. Are their short time (6 month) car rentals like that charge something reasonable? I'd expect no due to it being a navy town but I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Some a-schools won't even let you have a car unless you're a fleet returnee

• Locked thread